• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita exclusive "Uppers" from Marvelous delayed indefitinely, citing low pre-orders

Maybe some Japanese publishers should stop to be so Japan centric and think worldwide.

I'm sure many of these companies would like to do just that, the problem is it takes money to do that. Many of these smaller companies don't have the money to experiment on something that could potentially appeal to a larger crowd outside Japan, which is why they stick to what actually sells in Japan, even if it wouldn't sell anywhere else.

Really comes off like 2 parts "Please preorder more", 1 part "if you don't preorder we aren't going to give you the game".

Companies holding their products hostage is so banal.
pre orders are an indication of demand, they're saying there isn't enough demand

I don't see how that is holding a product hostage

Rob Fahey:

Top of that list? Marketing. Sorry, dirty word, but there we are. Most publishers spend more money marketing games than they spend making games. That horrifies developers, but it's a perfectly logical and rational calculation. Whatever you've spent making the game is completely lost if the game sinks into obscurity upon release. The marketing dollars you spend don't just return themselves in sales, they're also the only way to redeem the developing dollars that have already been spent. Sometimes, this makes weird things happen; games that are completely finished by the developer don't get released because the publisher loses confidence, and everyone thinks it's crazy ("it's finished, why not just release it and make some money") except the people who know that most of the budget is marketing and that by not spending that, the publisher is saving themselves from throwing good money after bad.

Probably a similar thing here. And there's probably a minimum cost involved in printing the game cards and having them sit on shelves or be stored in warehouses until they are eventually discounted (if pre-order numbers are to be believed) and then moved to bargain bins, and so on.

Really comes off like 2 parts "Please preorder more", 1 part "if you don't preorder we aren't going to give you the game".

Companies holding their products hostage is so banal.

or the game would be a financial failure and no company wants that but lets go with conspiracy theories instead

pre orders are an indication of demand, they're saying there isn't enough demand

No. Saying "There isn't enough demand" is saying there isn't enough demand. Saying "there isn't enough preorders" means they want more preorders. If they actually wanted to say what you are projecting on to them, then they would have said so. Unless, of course, their PR is completely incompetent. But I don't think that's the case.
or the game would be a financial failure and no company wants that

Again, why would they ever cite this unless they're hoping to drum up preorders?

I'm sure many of these companies would like to do just that, the problem is it takes money to do that. Many of these smaller companies don't have the money to experiment on something that could potentially appeal to a larger crowd outside Japan, which is why they stick to what actually sells in Japan, even if it wouldn't sell anywhere else.

Marvelous is big enough for this.

Great, so the producer's either a wanker not releasing the game then or trying to drive up pre-orders from people on the fence. Releasing it worldwide may actually get better sales, Marvelous.

Because not everyone pre-orders games? Word of mouth sometimes carries some games.

Here, a non-google translate
Marvelous has delayed Uppers, its PS Vita game from Senran Kagura producer Kenichiro Takaki, from its previously planned April 21 release to an unannounced release date.
He continued: “I want to believe in the power and potential of this game even more.”

Takaki said that he wants more time to further promote the game.

As for the game itself, Takaki notes that the development staff is putting all of its power into finishing the game in its best condition.

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/uppers-delayed-unannounced-date-japan

Edit: Beaten

No. Saying "There isn't enough demand" is saying there isn't enough demand. Saying "there isn't enough preorders" means they want more preorders. If they actually wanted to say what you are projecting on to them, then they would have said so. Unless, of course, their PR is completely incompetent. But I don't think that's the case.

Again, why would they ever cite this unless they're hoping to drum up preorders?
stop being silly, it's the same damn thing.

The post is a personal message from Takaki saying how much he wants to release the game but he can't, not some PR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfeCJGWABT8&t=1m1s

I guess it could be a total accident and he tripped
FBcRR8u.gif

Prelude.

People are reacting as if the game is not gonna be released, chill out.
They delayed games in the past and they couldn't commit to the delayed date so they're just avoiding that. It's coming when they think it's ready.

Also, there's a reason why people post this stuff in the media create thread.

Here, a non-google translate

"Marvelous has delayed Uppers, its PS Vita game from Senran Kagura producer Kenichiro Takaki, from its previously planned April 21 release to an unannounced release date.
He continued: “I want to believe in the power and potential of this game even more.”

Takaki said that he wants more time to further promote the game.

As for the game itself, Takaki notes that the development staff is putting all of its power into finishing the game in its best condition."

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/uppers-delayed-unannounced-date-japan

That sounds reasonable. Market more. They may believe they have something on their hands that has potential to be more than just thrown at the wall.

I kinda doubt this game will sell like hot cakes anyway. Not enough fanservice for the publisher's fanbase.

XSEED aren't a branch of Marvelous now?

Warxard

Banned
People are reacting as if the game is not gonna be released, chill out.
They delayed games in the past and they couldn't commit to the delayed date so they're just avoiding that. It's coming when they think it's ready.

Also, there's a reason why people post this stuff in the media create thread.

oh thank christ

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's like Nichijou, there wasn't enough fan service.....

*tear*
Even worse is the fact the anime was licensed for the US, but then Bandai closed their anime division & nobody rescued the rights....Now I can't legally own it on Blu-Ray.....

but back on topic, I recall they even were releasing quite a few trailers showcasing the different playable characters, so there was at least some promoting going on. I wonder how long the delay will be.

Takao

Banned
I don't know why some of you guys are acting as though the game's been cancelled. This doesn't sound like a Chronos Materia type of delay:

Takaki took to the game’s official blog page to explain that the one reason they decided to change the release date is because the number of pre-orders weren’t as good as they had expected.

He goes onto mention that the pre-order numbers they had for the game isn’t exactly something that he’d consider tough to swallow in this market, but he feels that they can believe in this title’s power and possibilities more.

He adds that it’s not a game where you can save the world in 30 seconds, but it has action characteristics where you can beat up enemies to a pulp. It won’t release simultaneously with a TV anime, but it has a story that will let you experience the attitude to life of the guys. There won’t be boobs busting out, but there are panty shots along with enthusiastic applause in the fantastic, ridiculous, and a bit naughty game that he hopes many people will get to experience.

For the reason of Takaki’s desire of hoping for more people to learn about this title, he asks if everyone can just wait a little longer. In the end, his goal is to have as many people get to try it out and have fun with it.

Takaki writes that it might sound like a silly dream, but he wants to use the wall of this beat ‘em up game where you get to hit on chicks to break down the walls.

That said, he hopes to hear more voices from those that enjoyed the demo, and would appreciate any criticism as well, but in any case, he thanks anyone that has been interested in the title. Again, he apologizes to those that pre-ordered and were looking forward to the title. This is what he considers a selfish act on his part, but he promises that when there’s a big change and surprise that is worth the wait, he will rise up.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/2...japan-due-low-pre-orders/#wm78Xfj8dHP2IupF.99

Expect Takaki to do more streams and weird product concepts with lewd high jinks.

My personal hope is that they try to include at least one open-world environment.

people just want marvelous to be stuck making senran kagura for ever and ever now

Uppers looked to be that balance that most scream they want of "fanservice in my beat-em-up" and the "I can play this mostly in public without strange stares" that SK and Valkyrie Drive fail to provide.

I can tell from what we've seen is they have plans for this series as a franchise just as they've done with SK and Valkyrie Drive already and it has what it needs to do that but as of now the numbers say otherwise.

They should just hop on the localization now and make something out of that instead of just relying on the JP numbers to make a case for the game's survival.

I hopped on the train because Our Lord of Life & Hometown was on it but the game in motion is what made me want to play it and here's hoping we get a chance to do so.

Jawmuncher

The Saddest Timeline.

Why sit on a game that's probably more or less finished? Hopefully they think of changing their minds or perhaps rework their release to cover other platforms. Since I know now that a lot of people are going to want the game. Maybe this is all part of the plan.

convo

If the game bombs in Japan, do you really think Xseed would localize it?

If the right people drum up support, also #buildthelist remember? It can happen somehow.

But the Senran Kagura producer should not be a person to give up that easily, the wait is just gonna be a bit longer.

Takao

Banned

Plenty of games that have sold next to nothing in Japan land western releases.

Worse comes to worse, maybe SCEJA takes the mantle and translates it for SEA. They've already committed to doing a Chinese version.

Datschge

Not only that but without any preorders the stores aren't likely to order the game at all. So a specific amount of preorders is necessary for stores to be willing to take the risk of ordering more units in addition to that.

mankoto

XSEED's a weird company. They localized Onechanbara 2Z literally because someone asked them.

Besides, here's this too:

Yeah, we could never hope to get Battlefront numbers -- but we also don't need to. Because we're so small (15 people), and the games we release are so niche, it only takes tens of thousands of sales for a game to be successful and profitable for us. Hell, for some of the smaller titles we release, even 10,000 sales or less might be seen as a success, when for AAA companies that would be a major flop.

Obviously, we'd love to get higher sales -- we've broken the 100,000 unit barrier only a small handful of times so far, but would love to break it a bit more often, and would be able to afford much more extravagant releases and better advertising if we did -- but we're honestly pretty happy with what we've got, and always try to make the most of the profits we do make.

We fill a niche, and we try to do it the best we can. We're like your humble neighborhood mom-and-pop game studio, giving you that personal touch you won't find at the big department stores. ;)

-Tom

I suspect this is Marvelous trying to avoid blotting a decent financial report. Ergo, I would expect this to be released in May and bomb. With that said, it's very weird for a publisher to delay a game based on poor pre-orders, and even weirder for said publisher to publicly admit that.

XSEED's a weird company. They localized Onechanbara 2Z literally because someone asked them.

That, and they hired a big fan of the franchise fairly recently.

Hell, even Marvelous themselves doesn't operate on especially large figures. 100k sales (of a single format in Japan) seems to be generally regarded as a smash hit for them. I recall a couple of excited tweets over Valkyrie Drive doing 50k.

I suspect this is Marvelous trying to avoid blotting a decent financial report. Ergo, I would expect this to be released in May and bomb. With that said, it's very weird for a publisher to delay a game based on poor pre-orders, and even weirder for said publisher to publicly admit that.
Marvelous fiscal year ends March 31st and the game was supposed to come out in april

why is everyone's first reaction coming up with some conspiracy theory?

Datschge

With that said, it's very weird for a publisher to delay a game based on poor pre-orders, and even weirder for said publisher to publicly admit that.
Not weird at all, we aren't talking about Western game stores but Japanese ones where publishers don't pay back for reduced/unsold lots. So the financial risk is all the stores'. Smaller publishers like Marvelous need to have at least the backing of the otaku audience and all the stores that essentially serve such. That backing is counted through preorders, when they are lacking the stores won't take the risk to order any more. This is essentially why the otaku scene has the power it has.

mankoto

That, and they hired a big fan of the franchise fairly recently.

Hell, even Marvelous themselves doesn't operate on especially large figures. 100k sales (of a single format in Japan) seems to be generally regarded as a smash hit for them. I recall a couple of excited tweets over Valkyrie Drive doing 50k.

If I remember correctly, Takaki said something about this game aiming for 50k as well. But that was before it was officially announced.

papo

This is one trend I hope we all as a gaming community will bash down to oblivion.

I know most of us can be little shits about one opinion or another and be negative assholes, but FFS this is one thing we can and should all agree on. Keeping a game hostage based on pre-orders is wrong.

It sucks the game was delayed indefinitely but having played the demo I just want to point out that the game itself was pretty rough.

Everything was really sluggish, the two characters played exactly the same (only with different animations), levels were excessively lineal, the "crazy" movements were useless and the mechanics related with the cheerleader girls really broke the flow of the game.

Top Bottom