• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita exclusive "Uppers" from Marvelous delayed indefitinely, citing low pre-orders

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It also says the "trial" version is delayed indefinitely? I'm assuming that's Google fucking up and it meant a demo version?
Downloading the demo (which is out) gave you a discount on the digital version of the game from 4/21 to 5/9. It's just saying that discount period now longer applies due to the delay.

18-Volt

XSEED's a weird company. They localized Onechanbara 2Z literally because someone asked them.

Besides, here's this too:

I'm pretty sure Uppers has more potential than Onechanbara, Valhalla Knights, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace and others. All it needs to be noticed more and PS4/Steam ports are the best way to do that. And Takaki-sensei probably knows it.

What XSEED need to do to step in and offer localization as the game being developed for a simultaneous release. If they need preorder numbers, we can give them as much as they require.

Riposte

I don't think I understand how this game plays. Seems kind of like Yakuza, with a lot of HEAT actions, except without character movement and auto-targeting in its place.

GrayFoxPL

It sucks the game was delayed indefinitely but having played the demo I just want to point out that the game itself was pretty rough.

Everything was really sluggish, the two characters played exactly the same (only with different animations), levels were excessively lineal, the "crazy" movements were useless and the mechanics related with the cheerleader girls really broke the flow of the game.

I was hyped from the early screenshots and info. "Double Dragon of the new age!" - I thought. But then the videos came and everything looked shitty and un-fun.

So yeah, Uppers be Downers.

Sakura

Yea niche games get delayed pretty often (in Japan) because lack of preorders. Though I don't think I often see them actually come out and site that as the reason. Usually they just say the need to improve the quality or won't say anything at all regarding the reason.

convo

It sucks the game was delayed indefinitely but having played the demo I just want to point out that the game itself was pretty rough.

Everything was really sluggish, the two characters played exactly the same (only with different animations), levels were excessively lineal, the "crazy" movements were useless and the mechanics related with the cheerleader girls really broke the flow of the game.

Well they were only those two characters in the demo, it could have done with two more like the pair you fight at the end.That Bancho guy was the most fun looking from the preview videos. It's not incompetent on the technical side like terrible framerate of slowdowns which i was scared of. You were also only wooing the side-girls and not the queens themselves. A better demo would be nice but i could have fun with this game.

So I was gonna say "this is the same Marvelous that released Net High to these FW sales":

32./00. [PSV] Net High (Marvelous) {2015.11.26} - 3.619 / NEW

But then I thought maybe the point was that they realised from that game that you can't just stick a demo up on PSN, call it a day and hope for the best from sales.

My personal hope is that they try to include at least one open-world environment.

I've been saying this for ages! Why mix Kenka Bancho with Senran Kagura-lite and then do neither of the coolest elements of both? Was really bummed when it turned out it was just arena based.

This doesn't sound like a Chronos Materia type of delay:

You just had to remind me of that game :p

Shizuka

I keep forgetting Net High was released, because I never remember the Media Create FW sales. At least if it's localized, it won't be the lowest-selling (in Japan) localized title, that's still Orgarhythm.

Well they were only those two characters in the demo, it could have done with two more like the pair you fight at the end.That Bancho guy was the most fun looking from the preview videos. It's not incompetent on the technical side like terrible framerate of slowdowns which i was scared of. You were also only wooing the side-girls and not the queens themselves. A better demo would be nice but i could have fun with this game.

The demo included one Queen though, and honestly the biggest issue for is that there were no strategy needed in the gameplay. Just mash square until get the finisher and repeat, the two characters included didn't even had a move list! and they shared the exact same movements.

I keep forgetting Net High was released, because I never remember the Media Create FW sales. At least if it's localized, it won't be the lowest-selling (in Japan) localized title, that's still Orgarhythm.

How much did Orgarhythm sell? I think Xblaze 2 could give it a run for its money.

It's like Nichijou, there wasn't enough fan service.....

*tear*

Wait you're talking about the Bandai release of the anime right?

Wasn't that dropped because Bandai dropped all titles.

Also cries. Possibly top ten anime for me. I'm huge physical collector and dub lover so it burns so much.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
To make a profit instead of a loss on making the product? You're damn right they would and should.

Releasing it outside of Japan doesn't necessary mean profit. They still have to spend bunch of money localizing it.

vareon

This is one trend I hope we all as a gaming community will bash down to oblivion.

I know most of us can be little shits about one opinion or another and be negative assholes, but FFS this is one thing we can and should all agree on. Keeping a game hostage based on pre-orders is wrong.

Didn't stores gauge demand by pre-orders and stock the game accordingly? Low preorders might mean no stores are willing to stock and the game is basically sent to die.

I don't know if that's how it works in Japan.

bobawesome

Even worse is the fact the anime was licensed for the US, but then Bandai closed their anime division & nobody rescued the rights....Now I can't legally own it on Blu-Ray.....

but back on topic, I recall they even were releasing quite a few trailers showcasing the different playable characters, so there was at least some promoting going on. I wonder how long the delay will be.

Of course you can.

You could always add your own subs.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
New date is July 14.
Also comes with new preorder bonuses, a soundtrack and outfit dlc

12887827_toku_01.jpg

12887827_toku_02.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The trailers actually had me looking forward to this game.

Surely releasing the game and having it sell badly is more lucrative than not releasing it at all?

Top Bottom