• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita in 2024

Mr1999

Is anyone still rocking a PS Vita? It's constantly getting new stuff released. I just got Cuphead up and running on it using my copy on Steam. It's not being streamed with moonlight or something like parsec, its running on the Vita hardware. I Installed PSVshell Plus for some overclocking magic on CPU/GPU. Finding pristine PS Vitas locally in the US is becoming increasingly difficult. so I managed to snag one from Japan in pristine condition with box. Had to give its battery a few charges before it kicked back to life. Ran PSVident and found out it's only been through 9 cycles since it was purchased, originally owned by MiyayukK. If you're reading this, MiyayukK, I have your old PS Vita :) It's a shame they stopped producing games for it and even more how Sony stopped making true handhelds as its perfect.

Now for the pics...

S1Z04TC.jpg
guMF5l5.jpg

6lDyLjA.jpg

Last edited:

CamHostage

I regret not buying a second one before they became scarce. I wanted one on official firmware and one on hacked (I have that with PSP, though now that PSN doesn't support anything for either platform, they'd both be kind of a waste on official,) but prices started raising instead of hitting bargain bins.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, managed to snatch one a few years ago in pretty good condition. The screen looks amazing and the console feels great to play on.

Nowadays I use it mostly to emulate Game Boy or GBA games (have a New 2DS too, but I find the Vita more comfortable), but recommendations are welcome since aside from that and some Vanillaware games I haven't really played much else lol.

Being able to overclock on the fly is amazing too, managed to play Odin Sphere with no slow downs thanks to that.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I still have mine. I swapped out the 3g modem with the internal PSVSD adapter a long time ago. I still play it occasionally. Still have my PSTV but it's packed away. I mainly use it for homebrew and Vita games, everything else i can play on one of my handheld emulator devices like the R36s and Powkiddy X55.

_Ex_

I own both the OLED model and the LCD model, and about 90 physical games for the platform. I still think it's an excellent handheld. Deserved a better fate than it got in the west, but at least Japan gave Vita some love for a while.

nial

Gold Member
There's no other option. PS Vita is the latest PlayStation handheld console, just like PS5 is the latest PlayStation home console.

yep, got an original Oled one and later on ordered the blue one from Japan. Thought about getting a red too for the collection but ended up not doing it. Love that handheld, so nearly perfect

I sold mine way too early. Probably should've held onto it until the SD card adapters got created and the hacking scene got better.

I've got a bunch of emulator handhelds now, but the Vita just felt extremely premium. Eff Sony for killing it with their horrible memory card pricing.

Vyse

Gold Member
Still have mine. Haven’t turned it on in a while. So cool that you can play Cuphead. Looks amazing!

I use a slim often, carry it sometimes too as it's not even noticeable added weight to the work bag. Recently swapped my Switch for a Lite just to try and get a similar experience with something newer :messenger_grinning_sweat: Vita has a few awesome richi mahjong games you can't really get anywhere else so will likely be carried for a good while yet.

Recently been enjoying GTA Vice City on the go. Just install the vita app and copied over my steam files. Simple & runs great

Last edited:

Pelao

I still have my OLED one.
I mostly use it whenever I feel like replaying Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary or MGS Portable Ops.
Have a lot of other stuff installed on it for when I go on a trip, as I still use it as my main handheld system over my Switch, which I never really undock.

I actually just bought one last week while I was in Japan at a Book Off. Found a great condition black OLED for $67. Minor scratching on the back but the screen and front is perfect.

I still have my old 2000 model I imported from Japan (white/light blue) as well and it has the SD2Vita mod with a 128gb sd card. I won't be using it really though now that I have another OLED model. I don't think I'm gonna install CFW or anything open the new one. I grabbed 2 more 16GB Vita memory cards ($10 each) while I was there as well so I have a total of 3 16GB cards ready to go.

Once my charging cable comes in from Amazon I'm gonna get it all setup and probably play some Gravity Rush and Front Mission 3.

Klosshufvud

Such an awesome handheld with a sublime build design unmatched by the Sony systems that followed afterwards. It's a bit shame there never was an OLED USBC model but still loved my OG model before it got shattered. But today, I don't think I would accept anything else but a PC x64 environment. I feel too limited otherwise.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Still have mine, but it's getting less and less play these days as better alternatives for most things have come out since. I used mine heavily back in the day as a portable emulation machine + PSP backwards compatibility, with a few Vita games thrown in for good measure.

Now, somewhat ironically, the only games I play on it are Vita games. Everything else, up to and including PSP, are better suited on other devices - especially since PSP games can now be emulated with Retro Achievements.

RagnarokIV

It’s a good handheld with a good screen. I’ll have to double check but I have either 4 or 6 of these, I also have 7 PLAYSTATION 3 consoles.
One of my favorite handhelds and I haven’t even tried a jailbreak on them.
Great for getting a few trophies on a weekend away, but for PSP I just use emulation.

GametimeUK

I threw together a quick YouTube video regarding the Vita in 2024. It was weirdly popular for my channel. There is loads of interest in this device still and rightfully so. I love my Vita.

Sad i never got another. Had the ass creed arctic white sku. Loved that thing. Ended up losing it though and just never jumped back in.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have an OLED Vita, PSTV, PSP all hacked with various games and UMD's collecting dust just three years ago I used my Vita daily

Used to be a big part of my collection, had a lot of fun with it but now if someone offered me about $499 for the whole collection I'd sell

I might put them up on the GAF marketplace soon the playstation classic has kinda replaced the Vita in my heart PSCLASSIC + Mayflash Arcade Stick is awesome

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Nice pictures OP. I still have my launch OLED and a GameStop aqua blue exclusive. Just like yours but North America!

I recently plugged it to play Dragons Crown (which I suggest anyone to play) and God Of War collection.

Crm114

Crazy timing op I just picked up and oled vita last week. Had gotten one at launch and it was stolen a year later on vacation. Never bothered to replace it since I wasn’t gaming much at the time.

So glad I picked one up again it’s amazing, especially what you can do now via hombrew and an sd2vita.

Playing with it again brought me back to what I felt when I picked one up 12 years ago, that it had so much potential and the sky was the limit. I can literally still play Helldivers online, with voice chat and cross play with ps3/4. Insane for a handheld that old, nearly perfect.

The whole memory card debacle was unfortunate, I get Sony wanting to prevent piracy but they really shot themselves in the foot. Had they priced the memory cards close to SD memory it would of sold way more. I remember the backlash online people were turned off by the memory prices and felt Sony had pulled dirty manoeuvre keeping it a secret till late.

Was a vicious cycle, after an initial decent launch, adoption dwindled due to ppl being turned off, Sony and publishers got scared, dropped support, less games meant even less adoption. It had a few moments of revival but Sony never gave it a real shot and focused only on PS4.

It has a bunch of awesome games only shitty part is that it could of had way more. More ps2 ports, more original ips, more of everything. The thing screams untapped potential.

They’re definitely gonna release another handheld at some point. Until then Vita baby.

Last edited:

Crm114

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good battery replacement ?

The vita I picked up is minty but the battery sucks balls and dies pretty quick.

Ozzie666

Symphony of The Night machine, Vita form factor is unmatched and the screen is fantastic even in 2024. Keep on going my friend! Recently played FFX remastered on it.
Almost perfect if not for the lack of l2/l3.

Still have my original oled from launch and it still works flawlessly. Great piece of hardware, unfortunately my eyes have been degrading for the past couple years,. Small text and details on a small screen are very difficult for me to see.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG-0063.jpg
EB8-FEAC3-26-CF-4-ADC-99-F1-5-C912406-A3322020-09-03-18-53-47-592.jpg
I bought a black and red Vita from Japan off eBay to replace my Uncharted bundle I got years ago. It’s one of my favorite handhelds. I have two memory cards with my PS Classics installed. I can play Silent Hill, MGS, Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Vagrant Story, SOTN, Front Mission 3, and etc. It’s like a dream machine for classic PS1 games.

With the Switch and Steam Deck as good as they are. Replaying classic games on my Vita feels like a special occasion. I plan to get all my PS Classics onto memory cards one day. I’ve got just about all of them purchased too.

coffinbirth

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good battery replacement ?

The vita I picked up is minty but the battery sucks balls and dies pretty quick.
Vita has weird battery issues. Some can be solved without battery replacement. Have you fully charged and discharged the battery multiple times? Have you held PS + POWER + START + SELECT to do battery/clock reset? Did you install and run Battery Fixer? If the answer is no to any of those, do them all. If the issues persist, head to the Amazon.

Also, are you charging from the outlet or usb? Memory is fuzzy on this, but I think it will only charge to 80%, 88% or something like that unless it's being charged from the outlet. Someone can correct me on that, as it's been a long time and it may have been rectified or I could just be plain wrong...

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I bought a used (and expensive!) PSTV some 1.5 years ago, but i can't get it hacked. Im likely doing something wrong.

The platform is glorious though. It has ports of Redneck Rampage, The Conduit, and even Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation.

Ferdimage

Love threads like this, I completely forgot about my Vita 1000, just pulled it out from storage, thanks OP.
Hacked it a few years back, gonna fill it up with PS1 classics to take to our Japan trip next month.

pM3fhgM.jpeg

Last edited:

Kupfer

I adore my Vita(s), it's my favourite handheld from the past, since it basically is a PSP with extras.

My Vita Collection includes

1 x OFW OLED
2 x Enso (1x LCD 1x OLED)
1 x PSTV CiB (never used, but got it before FW 3.6 was released for about 30€)
41 physical games.
2 x original sealed 16gb memory cards (snagged them for 10€ each)

Today Vita stuff becomes more and more expensive, but it's still worthy IMO.
There are still some games I need to get like Catherine and Hotline Miami Collection (big bummer, there is only one of the two Hotline Miami games on the memory card, the second is included as a code - but having the game on the shelf would still be cool)

I always try to keep up to date, but to be honest, I haven't played much of it lately. The last time was last year for a few hours Muramasa: The Demon Blade. It somehow feels good to play "official" games on the small device, to collect trophies and to be able to use everything so easily.
The Vita is just so convenient.
On the other hand, it's also fun to see how much the community is still putting into this device, there are more ports of games than I could play and there are new releases every week.

If you haven't had a Vita yet and or missed the PSP, you'll still have plenty of reasons to buy a Vita and rock it in 2024.

I bought a used (and expensive!) PSTV some 1.5 years ago, but i can't get it hacked. Im likely doing something wrong.

The platform is glorious though. It has ports of Redneck Rampage, The Conduit, and even Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation.
What's going wrong?

Last edited:
I played quite recently Hitman Go and Lara Croft Go on it. I also use it sometimes as a remote play device for my PS4. A shame that PS5 isn't supported. Remote for PS5 happens on my tablet. Which is a pretty broken app since I had to uninstall the PS app to make the remote play app work, and after reinstalling the PS App I can't switch between PS4 and PS5, hence PS5 on tablet and PS4 on Vita. Sony kinda is clueless with their handheld strategy and it shows.

coffinbirth

I still have mine. It's a shame they never released PS Vita Go.

maxresdefault.jpg

That's not actually a prototype for a Vita Go, it's a prototype for a Vita, partially in a Go shell. This was prior to final design, and running on 0.990FW. The mobo is in a separate box connected to the bottom, with a debug board attached to that. That thing had an HDMI port and ran off full size SD cards too, proving that Sony purposefully neutered this thing in order to push additional products, which obviously, infamously backfired.

Japanese Vitas are in great condition. At some point I'll probably add some emulators for other handheld games, but even just for stuff I missed out on PSP and Vita it's solid. Perfect form factor for a handheld device. Shame Sony didn't support it properly and won't consider a follow up.

Top Bottom