• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita memory card issue

Moofers

As long as your'e playing on carts, you don't even need a memory card in the system, right? I've been sticking as much as I can to physical games on the Vita and while I have a 64GB card, I started hearing about failures a while back and now I'm all about owning the 8GB or 16GB cards. I was thinking though, as long as I'm just trying to use them for saves, I could probably pick up a 4GB as another backup.

Linkark07

Banned
Now you guys are scaring me.

I'll check my Vita as soon as I return home.

Afraid that if my memory dies, that would be the end of my Vita.

As long as your'e playing on carts, you don't even need a memory card in the system, right?
I think if you own the first Vita, you'll still need a Memory card for save your games.

As long as your'e playing on carts, you don't even need a memory card in the system, right? I've been sticking as much as I can to physical games on the Vita and while I have a 64GB card, I started hearing about failures a while back and now I'm all about owning the 8GB or 16GB cards. I was thinking though, as long as I'm just trying to use them for saves, I could probably pick up a 4GB as another backup.

Sadly not, something like 99% of boxed Vita games require a memory card to function properly.

Edit: Just remembered that the Vita-2000 has a 1GB "memory card" built-in, which should enable you to play all boxed games (until you fill up the 1GB with save installs or patches)

Moofers

Now you guys are scaring me.

I'll check my Vita as soon as I return home.

Afraid that if my memory dies, that would be the end of my Vita.

I think if you own the first Vita, you'll still need a Memory card for save your games.

Sadly not, something like 99% of boxed Vita games require a memory card to function properly.

Hmm. Sounds like I need to do an experiment when I get home tonight. I have an original launch Vita and two Vita/PS TV units.

Just powered down my Vita and took out my 64GB memory card. The model number is

PCH-Z641 AA.

It's been okay so far but I had issues with NFS: Most Wanted last year.

Post your model numbers here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm very glad I never got the 64 as this has happened to a couple of my friends and they were devastated.

The same thing happened often with the largest GCN Memory card, the 1019!

CamHostage

Another owner of a corrupted 64GB card checking in. After wasting too many hours trying to make it work again, I gave up and threw it away. My previous card, a 16GB one that I bought with the Vita, still works fine and never had any issues.

And another, I think. Mine hasn't failed out completely, but there are some games that just refuse to run, and I get crashes fairly often in certain games as well that I didn't experience back when I had the stock card. I didn't know that they flame out completely over time, but I'm not surprised, and I may eventually buy a 32GB and just revert down for peace of mind.

I love Vita, but it's not made to last. The battery situation also seems like it'll eventually cut its life short (if you have zero battery power, the system will not boot even on AC, so I'm assuming eventually when the battery cannot take a charge the unit will be a brick, anybody know of that being true?) It's my game platform of choice, but it has a lot of issues, and unfortunately there's no hope on the horizon for a new PS portable; I may eventually switch to Switch, but I'm going to wring every drop out of Vita while I can.

Hmm. Sounds like I need to do an experiment when I get home tonight. I have an original launch Vita and two Vita/PS TV units.

If the front of the case has the Gameplay requires PS Vita memory card label then there's no writeable storage on the game card itself.

muteki

I'm pretty lucky I guess I haven't had this particular problem with my 64gb. It does take an ungodly long amount of time to backup/restore large amounts of data on it, which after I finally migrated my 32gb stuff onto it didn't try doing again.

ffvorax

Sony's products tend not to have great build quality as I had a;

-Sony PS1 memory card stopped working and would prevent the controller from working when plugged in memory card 2 slot.

-PS1 and PS2 controllers wires would get twisted and the pin connector would fall off causing it to shut off at times.

-Sony radio CD player didn't work not long after I brought it so my parents had to get it replaced.

-My folk's Sony Bravia developed a line of dead pixels and the damn thing wasn't even 10 years old as my Dad brought it in 2008, the last TV we had prior lasted a lot longer than the Bravia did.

-My Dad's Sony Vaio laptops would repeatedly shut down when it got hot.

I have to disagree.

My PS1 pad+MM all works fine, I tried recently to plug my ps1 (not tried all my 6 MM, but the one i needed worked)
My ps2 still works fine, MM too (I still have the first one I bought), pad too it's ok.
My old PS3 died after 5 years, well the bluray didn't read games anymore, the first sony product that died on me...
PSP works fine too.
PSVITA +16GB card works fine.
PSTV works fine (maybe, I used like 2 times...)
I have 2 Vaio laptop, both work fine, 7 years both. Used for gaming and work.
I have 1 Sony TV for 3 years and still working fine.
I also have a Sony old walkman, I need to try it someday lol!

Overall I always found Sony product to be incredibly good manufacture, maybe I was just lucky...

I have to disagree.

Overall I always found Sony product to be incredibly good manufacture, maybe I was just lucky...

Anecdotes aside, there are some issues which were widespread enough to become common knowledge, like how the PS2 was prone to laser/disc read errors:

Dealing with PlayStation 2 disc read errors

And that the original PS3 wasn't really made to last due to the 90nm GPU/CPU getting too toasty.

My experience hasn't really been great or terrible, it probably depends on which products you're using and how lucky you are overall.

orborborb

First brand new 64gb card lasted a couple months, second one lasted less than two years. Backup your saves and any games you might still want to play in 10 years.

Moofers

If the front of the case has the Gameplay requires PS Vita memory card label then there's no writeable storage on the game card itself.

I always figured that was for saving and not a requirement to just load up and play the game. I'm still not 100% convinced until I run some tests and see for myself.

I always figured that was for saving and not a requirement to just load up and play the game. I'm still not 100% convinced until I run some tests and see for myself.

If you have a Vita Slim, then it could be the 1GB internal storage it has doing the save work

Moofers

Reporting back in:

I did not try my Vita TV units last night. However, I tried loading up a few games on my launch Vita with no memory card and none of them would launch. A message pops up when you try to start the game and it tells you that you need a memory card.

Games tested:

Shovel Knight
Persona 4 Golden
Atelier Shallie Plus

I'll check out the TV units this weekend unless anyone knows if those units have any built in memory at all like the later handheld iterations?

Putosaure

Was looking for a topic to vent in, but seriously what the hell is this console data management ?
I had it for years and love it, but the way it manages data is terrible. I recently got P4D and wanted to go back to P4G before, but game froze on me and when lauched again told me that data was corrupted (game is digital). After a reboot of the console, game launches fine, but until when ? The annoying part is that I wish I could just delete the game and redownload it, but no, because the save is attached to the game data ! The only way to backup stuff is to connect it to the PC and backup the entire card which take ages, but if it's my only way to format the card and start over, I guess I have no choice. I'm sick of restarting this game each time this card is faulty. :(

**checks Vita for the first time in a year**

Wow, yep, it's saying my memory card has been removed. I couldn't be anymore careful with my Vita. What a load of bullshit.

uE1Hp0K.gif

Reporting back in:

I did not try my Vita TV units last night. However, I tried loading up a few games on my launch Vita with no memory card and none of them would launch. A message pops up when you try to start the game and it tells you that you need a memory card.

Games tested:

Shovel Knight
Persona 4 Golden
Atelier Shallie Plus

I'll check out the TV units this weekend unless anyone knows if those units have any built in memory at all like the later handheld iterations?

Thanks for the report. Sorry for the late response.

That's a crying shame that the games themselves don't even launch then, I guess the Vita TV will be fine since like the 2000 it does indeed have the 1GB "virtual" memory card.

Was looking for a topic to vent in, but seriously what the hell is this console data management ?
I had it for years and love it, but the way it manages data is terrible. I recently got P4D and wanted to go back to P4G before, but game froze on me and when lauched again told me that data was corrupted (game is digital). After a reboot of the console, game launches fine, but until when ? The annoying part is that I wish I could just delete the game and redownload it, but no, because the save is attached to the game data ! The only way to backup stuff is to connect it to the PC and backup the entire card which take ages, but if it's my only way to format the card and start over, I guess I have no choice. I'm sick of restarting this game each time this card is faulty. :(

yeah, I would advise against backing up entire games to keep their saves as restoring them is going to put a large toll on the memory card (will be performing a lot of writes).

I've stopped downloading and redownloading/recopying games onto my card for that reason...

Putosaure

yeah, I would advise against backing up entire games to keep their saves as restoring them is going to put a large toll on the memory card (will be performing a lot of writes).

I've stopped downloading and redownloading/recopying games onto my card for that reason...

So what is the solution then ? If game says it's corrupted, and that backing it up or deleting/redownloading it is not advised ? Putting the card in the trash ?

sneas78

Banned
Sorry op. Same here ..

And I'm not sure if this work op. However maybe if you can find someone that has a vita on 3.60 .. on enso. They can take your men card and try and format it under windows as that's possible. And then try to put it back in your vita and re format it again.

If you can get yourself a vita on 3.60. Get a sd2vita adapter and go 128..256GB for cheap.. or whatever you want.. and never look back.
That's what I did.

Just trying to help.

So what is the solution then ? If game says it's corrupted, and that backing it up or deleting/redownloading it is not advised ? Putting the card in the trash ?

I had to subscribe to PS Plus, upload my save to the cloud, delete the corrupted game, redownload the game and restore my save. Not great...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Colin Moriarty just tweeted yesterday that he turned his Vita on for the first time since February and all the files were gone. Not a good sign for Vita memory storage in the long term.

What the? I haven't used mine since June last year, couldn't decide if I should homebrew it (it's got fw 3.60) or just play it. So while still deciding it just sits there.

I'm freaking out about turning it on now. Not that I can remember what's on the card anyway. 😂

Garraboa

Oh wow. I'm really sorry to hear about all the horror stories you all have with your 64 GBs. Yoshida should be forced to do a walk of shame, Target style, to point at all the baffling managing mistakes the Vita had.

My 64GB works fine most of the time. Seems to have the most errors in Uncharted and Terarria and, this happens every time, if I turn it off with headphones on, it rebuilds the entire database at next boot!

Great, now I am going to be paranoid about my memory card for the rest of the afternoon. I guess I will turning on my Vita this evening to flip that coin.

Gxgear

Oh boy, better back up my 80 hour P4G save onto cloud. Been working on that platinum for the last month.

I tried to play Corpse Party today after not playing it for at least 6 months and it said the file was corrupted. I tried to rebuild my database and now 4 pages of games are no longer visible (PSP, PS1, Indies), but it is still showing that I still have the same free space as before this happened. Am I screwed?

i-Jest

I bought my card from Play-Asia 3-4 years ago and I've had no issue with it. I hope this remains the case for a long time to come. All the same, I hope someone can improve and standardize the 3G/Wi-Fi Vita mod that allows for supplemental use of Micro SD cards. I haven't kept up with the mod scene but has there been and further headway there?

I tried to play Corpse Party today after not playing it for at least 6 months and it said the file was corrupted. I tried to rebuild my database and now 4 pages of games are no longer visible (PSP, PS1, Indies), but it is still showing that I still have the same free space as before this happened. Am I screwed?
I tried pulling the card out and putting back in and then turning it on and another page came back. Still not seeing PS1 or PSP.

JDdelphin

Yep. Just put $50 in my ps wallet to grab some halloween sale games, downloaded them to my vita, then...
'Your memory card had been removed'

Can't reformat, cant be read, can't be looked at in anything BUT the vita - which crashes when I even access the reformat menu.
That was a 64gb card.

I didn't want to go the hacking route but fuck this.

Sony electronics are solid but their game division can blow me.
Even when you have a solid bit of hardware in the vita and you charge a premium price for it and all of it's system specific peripherals...

So very, very frustrated right now.

Sadly, it's likely just a matter of time before it happens to everyone. Terrible read/write speed, and will eventually self destruct all for ten times the standard price. Awesome.

Edit: Just checked the prices for the smaller vita memory cards. Twice as upset.

Just happened to my 64GB card. I was playing a couple of digital games, then I put my Vita to sleep. Then when I woke it minutes later I couldn’t unlock past the lockscreen, got the dreaded error message, the system took forever to reboot, and I was left with icons for game card games only - plenty of gaps where digital only games used to be.

So then I switched off my Vita, took out the memory card, put it back in, and nothing. Same as before.

After trying this once more, I reset to safe mode and rebuilt the database. This made it worse - now all game icons were missing except for the game card I had inserted (Ys VIII). So I’ve lost everything now.

Going to investigate further but it seems a lost cause. Just incredibly disappointed that I’ve lost hours of save data because a premium priced 64GB memory card can barely last more than a year.

It happened to me same, and now my cards works as 16gb card instead of 64gb as I if try to store more than 16gb then it throws error. It was working fine for 6 months before it went this way.

I can't even get my Vita to recognise it anymore. After rebuilding the database it's been defaulting to the 1GB internal memory card. Inserting my memory card and rebooting does nothing.

Z..

Unfortunately the 64gb card seems to fail the most, I had to reformat twice since my saves are being corrupted and apparently it's a sign of it dying

I'm experiencing fear and anxiety for the very first time in my life.

sublimit

Banned
Unfortunately the 64gb card seems to fail the most, I had to reformat twice since my saves are being corrupted and apparently it's a sign of it dying

I've had mine for almost a year and thankfully i didn't have any problems so far...*touch wood*

I've had mine for almost a year and thankfully i didn't have any problems so far...*touch wood*

Mine died after a year and a month so you might want to back up all your saves.

The annoying thing is I didn't even write much data to it over its lifespan. Okay, I filled it up to the brim, but I wasn't constantly deleting and downloading new games.

My older 16GB card went through a lot more writes since I used to regularly switch Vita accounts, which would require backup -> restore -> backup -> restore to switch to and from another region.

sublimit

Banned
Mine died after a year and a month so you might want to back up all your saves.

The annoying thing is I didn't even write much data to it over its lifespan. Okay, I filled it up to the brim, but I wasn't constantly deleting and downloading new games.

My older 16GB card went through a lot more writes since I used to regularly switch Vita accounts, which would require backup -> restore -> backup -> restore to switch to and from another region.

I have PS+ so it back up daily to online storage. But to be honest even if i lost all my saves that would be the least of my worries if something happened to my card.

It may also depend on the system itself. The pretty much launch 32GB card in my Vita has been fine the whole time (knock on wood) but at some point the 32GB in my PSTV went wonky and started having issues. Games not loading, games showing up but crashing, saves being corrupted, etc. This was after the card had been inadvertently ejected somehow (I think the unit had been dropped lightly at some point).

Eventually I formatted the card in the system menu and then things were fine for a while until semi-recently some stuff started acting crappy again. This time I did a format of the card by not booting into the full OS and that seems to have done a better job since it was a full wipe of the card and not a system wipe. We'll have to see.

OmegaZero

Ugh. Thanks for reminding me of the inevitable.

I've been using my 64GB card for years and have only had a few save errors. I play my Vita (slim) constantly too, downloading/deleting games at least once every few weeks.

It's gotten to the point where my analogs are drifting and my buttons are misreading inputs occasionally and my card still works so idk.

Qwark

Eesh, I hope this never happens to me. I have a bunch of PSMobile games that I have yet to play, and if my memory card goes or I take it out, I can't reauthenticate since they took the service down.

It appears that the bigger it gets > more prone to errors.

However, I would say that the 32gb cards are good enough.

Thanks for the update. I have only a 16GB atm. But I was thinking of upgrading to a 32GB. I wanted to be sure before I did.

volcarona

Wow reading all these stories about memory card corruption... you'd think they'd be more stable with their ridiculous price. Another nail in the coffin of me getting a Vita

Eesh, I hope this never happens to me. I have a bunch of PSMobile games that I have yet to play, and if my memory card goes or I take it out, I can't reauthenticate since they took the service down.
Can't you hook your Vita up to a PC and copy the games there?

Top Bottom