• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

cj_iwakura

i brought a high priced psx rpg today =)

52D9AZQh.jpg

hm4eO9Mh.jpg

6e6oODrh.jpg

Sheesh, it's that rare? I still have it, but I didn't have much fun with it when I tried the first area years ago.

Teknoman

Decided to take on Suikoden 1 and 2 in that case. And wow, the best word I can find for Suiko 1's soundtrack is "rich". The village themes are pretty lively, and well...I havent heard something with such unique instrumentation since I played Skies of Arcadia or Grandia 2.

been playing Alundra since grabbing it. damn, its such a fun game and the art style is pretty nice. love it on CRT.

It is an amazing game. I also really enjoyed Alundra 2, but it is nothing like the first and a completely different kind of game, so don't go into it expecting the same series even though it has the same name if you decide to play it.

IrishNinja

been playing Alundra since grabbing it. damn, its such a fun game and the art style is pretty nice. love it on CRT.

i really dug it at launch & some of the puzzles did stump me for a bit, but again, i literally had the twist spoiled in like a letter column of an issue of PSM and bailed, haha. still need to get back to it one day!

It is an amazing game. I also really enjoyed Alundra 2, but it is nothing like the first and a completely different kind of game, so don't go into it expecting the same series even though it has the same name if you decide to play it.

i really dug it at launch & some of the puzzles did stump me for a bit, but again, i literally had the twist spoiled in like a letter column of an issue of PSM and bailed, haha. still need to get back to it one day!

back in high school i was stuck at this puzzle of rocks that were moon, star, sun and one more. i couldn't figure out how to stack them in the right combination and got stuck. (this was before the internet)

IrishNinja

yeah ,the before-i-had-internet era was a bitch on some games! traded up Persona: Revelations because i got so stuck & the game just never clicked. Suikoden 1 i took to instantly though.

yeah ,the before-i-had-internet era was a bitch on some games! traded up Persona: Revelations because i got so stuck & the game just never clicked. Suikoden 1 i took to instantly though.

i have yet to play any persona games. though i have 5,4 boxed up.
the ps1 persona's are pretty high priced at the moment.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
PS1 Personas may as well be a different series, just as an fyi. They play totally differently than the PS2 games.

Leynos

it gets so good =)

guys, pick it back up and keep going! it's such a great experience. i haven't had this much fun in a while.

Alundra is definitely a great game. I know that many write it off as a Zelda knock-off, but I always found Zelda to be too big, and slow for my tastes, while Alundra seems a bit more linear which I prefer. My favorite action-adventure game, however, is definitely Beyond Oasis on the Genesis. The combat is much more involved, and even has fighting-game-style combos.

Alundra is definitely a great game. I know that many write it off as a Zelda knock-off, but I always found Zelda to be too big, and slow for my tastes, while Alundra seems a bit more linear which I prefer. My favorite action-adventure game, however, is definitely Beyond Oasis on the Genesis. The combat is much more involved, and even has fighting-game-style combos.

back then (high school), i never heard comparisons to Zelda but always to LandStalker for Genesis =P

edit:
just beat a tricky dungeon:

peDHk3Ah.png

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've never played Alundra, but I've wanted to for quite a while. The game looks great, visually. I've heard the puzzles are tough as shit, though, which has me a little concerned.

I've never played Alundra, but I've wanted to for quite a while. The game looks great, visually. I've heard the puzzles are tough as shit, though, which has me a little concerned.

the great thing is the puzzles all use simple concepts and not ridiculous abstract crap that can't be solved.

they gradually get tricky but in a consistent way so that there's a logic to it and nothing is out of bounce.

...and now I'm looking up Alundra on EBay, lol

I played through Air Combat last weekend. Holds up well, still a fun game.
I never tried Air Combat. i probably need to check that this afternoon on my trip to the retro store.

man, alundra has some great riddles, really feels like i'm in the lost woods trying to get to a hidden area. good times. i finally found the dungeon i'm suppose to go to next:

wBT0baNh.jpg

Alundra's 3rd dungeon (pic that I posted) is tricky. The puzzles are getting harder to figure out. Been stuck. I'm tempted to look at a guide but want to be a man and do it old school style =P

edit: i finally solved it! i'll post pics later to explain the puzzle. this is an amazing experience.

Velinos

Alundra is great game. Loved playing it back when it first came out. Seeing these posts makes me want to play through it again.

The Persona games have interested me and are the few RPGs not in my collection that I have passed on several times in the past. I remember seeing Persona 2 for $40 new on Amazon about 12 years ago and passing then. Oh well, hopefully I will find copies for a decent price soon.

Alundra is great game. Loved playing it back when it first came out. Seeing these posts makes me want to play through it again.

The Persona games have interested me and are the few RPGs not in my collection that I have passed on several times in the past. I remember seeing Persona 2 for $40 new on Amazon about 12 years ago and passing then. Oh well, hopefully I will find copies for a decent price soon.
yeah the psx personas are out of reach for me at the moment. i will go the psn route and play it via my psp go to crt.

for those on the fence on Alundra:
this is a sample of what you'd run into that makes this game so fun. it simple yet tricky. i was stumped on this for about 2 days and finally figured it out last night. some of you may be faster than me with figuring these things out =)

A7PwCYVm.jpg

when first entering a room like this with a door that's locked, there's no explanation but you're forced to use intuition with trial and error. you can always leave the room and come back.
this one is pretty straight:
Z4p06BOm.jpg

Sk6yEu6m.jpg

f1gj325m.jpg

once all the stones are matched up, the door opens. there's other locations where you have to kill all the enemies for a missing item to drop and various other tasks like hitting switches. etc.

this last one stumped me.
GSkoNKZm.jpg

4 tiles but only 3 matching stones visible. no enemies. i was stuck for 2 days figuring out what to do....
ends up one of the stones was carefully hidden behind one of the blocks.
i was so happy once i figured it out.
but this is one of the early ones. they get trickier =P

man! i haven't had so much fun in a while. definitely forcing me to have my thinking cap on at all times =P

update progress: update i'm stuck at another room in Alundra and been trying for hours last night until i needed to go to sleep. i think i may need to start to look for help. i got farther when i played this in college. damn it's pretty tricky.

i'll post a pic of the room later today in case anyone who beat it remembers that room.

Let me guess: ice palace?

I am still occasionally haunted by the nightmare memories of this place
oh i'm not that far. i'm still stuck in the desert palace.
after hitting 3 switches to unlock a gate on the right:
EIaohQum.jpg
pDwjTwTm.jpg

going up the stairs, i can't seem to figure out the next room:
Tnyv7Rgm.jpg

the two stones on the left platform are easy to access but can't figure out how to get the 2 stones on the right
do you remember these rooms from back in the day?
going to try again tonight =)

pardon the posts:
since not much action goes on the ps1 thread, way back, i did an almost daily progress log post for resident evil director's cut arrange mode till i beat it. (that damn hard too)

i started to do it for alundra but i'm coming up with blanks 2 nights in a row.... damn! i think i may need to cheat and look at a guide =/ i can't get past this same room.

i think i was better at games in high school/college.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't remember offhand, but can you try stacking the stones from the left platform to make a "stair" to reach the right platform, maybe? I think if you throw the stones at the right angle/distance you can stack them to make a high enough stepping stone to the right platform.

I don't remember offhand, but can you try stacking the stones from the left platform to make a "stair" to reach the right platform, maybe? I think if you throw the stones at the right angle/distance you can stack them to make a high enough stepping stone to the right platform.
oh thank you! i was double stacking them and jumping off ledges onto them for 2 nights. that helped tremendously!

1SbzoT5l.jpg

i finished the castle a few minutes after.
just a note: i never passed the next puzzle in 1997 and lent the game to my friend who never gave it back.
it took me 1st try to do it, felt so satisfying =)

QYowyZEm.jpg

and success!
beat the dungeon and unto the next adventure =)
(after the Yankee game)

Alundra progress log:
i've been progressing pretty steady and haven't got stuck as i did initially. Maybe the puzzles are not as hard. after being in an ice area, the latest level, i'm at a swamp dungeon with a new bow and arrow weapon and it's been pretty easy. maybe a bit too easy.

i'm not sure how long this game in total or how far i am, this is the farthest i've ever been in this game =)

Leynos

I don't know how much further you have to go, it has been quite a while since I last played Alundra. Some of the puzzles can be quite difficult, and the one you showed above where the missing piece was obscured by a column pissed me off when I finally found the damn thing. It's funny that we had such a different response to the same situation.

One of the things that I like about this game is that the overworld isn't too large. That is probably my biggest gripe with the Legend of Zelda games - they are too open, and sprawling. I never know where to go, and turn it off in frustration. Still have never gotten far in any Zelda game.

Velinos

All this Alundra talk has caused me to break out my copy last night. I love that opening and I forgot how great the music is in the game.

Top Bottom