• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 game N2O gets emulated release on Steam, more coming.

How do they get around all the references to Playstation on memory cards and stuff? Hell, they're using the copyrighted symbols for the Playstation controller.

This isn't going to stay up long, folks.

Wereroku

So this seems to involve Koudelkas pal publisher so will these be region locked out something. Infogrames which are part of Atari? Are involved in a lot of these.

How do they get around all the references to Playstation on memory cards and stuff? Hell, they're using the copyrighted symbols for the Playstation controller.

In the case of N2O the owners seem to be involved in this so maybe it was actually ported. Has anyone bought it yet?

There are games on Steam that use Playstation controller prompts nowadays though. Many recent games since the PS4/One came out can detect the difference between 360/Xbox One/PS4 controllers and put up proper prompts.

There are games on Steam that use Playstation controller prompts nowadays though. Many recent games since the PS4/One came out can detect the difference between 360/Xbox One/PS4 controllers and put up proper prompts.

That seems sketchy to me.

7YBbQGr.jpg

This means there's going to be all the references to "Playstation(R) Memory Card" and such.

There's a difference between recognizing a controller and using the assets outright.

Glowsquid

If this is legal, I'm surprised they've been able to get such a random assortment of licensed titles. Takara, Tatsunoko and Lucky Luke..?

jholmes

This is true. If you break the saving in some way, you're left with just the button stuff. And I just bought Grim Fandango on PC and it keeps thinking my Xbone controller is a DualShock and Sony isn't suing.

Dizzy-4U

Kouldelka is SNK property if it was going to be released it would be through them.
There are several games from Infogrames on the site, which was the publisher of Koudelka in Europe.

Makes me wonder if they are emulating PAL games....Not sure how I feel about 50hz PSX games.

There's a difference between recognizing a controller and using the assets outright.

Definitely I'm not entirely convinced they're properly prepared legally for this. Especially since there's no info on who "they" even are.

But of all the potential problems, I can't see controller icons being the thing that takes them down.

Definitely I'm not entirely convinced they're properly prepared legally for this. Especially since there's no info on who "they" even are.

But of all the potential problems, I can't see controller icons being the thing that takes them down.

No, but it shows they aren't changing ANY assets, since those would be among the first you would alter.

jediyoshi

That seems sketchy to me.

Please explain what I'm assuming is a distinction you're making between it being sketchy that a PC game includes Playstation controller prompts but not Xbox controller prompts. You realize the symbols themselves aren't actually copywritten, right?

Emulating a system for commercial purposes without the creators permission seems like its on shakey legal ground but I guess stuff like the retron exist so maybe it's OK?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Emulating a system for commercial purposes without the creators permission seems like its on shakey legal ground but I guess stuff like the retron exist so maybe it's OK?

Honestly as long as it's not using actual Playstation BIOS or anything it's perfectly legal. The games though you'll need people to sign off on those.

Bros. Mobile. Light. Force.

Honestly, it seems like Console Classics may have the rights to this stuff due to a back catalog of Xs' games.

I'd rather they turn it back into Gunbird but their emulator doesn't even increase the rendering resolution of the games at all so I'd just stick with the PS1 versions of these games and emulating it myself.

Game Guru

Kouldelka is SNK property if it was going to be released it would be through them.

Actually, the versions of the Metal Slug games on Steam are ported and listed as being developed by DotEmu even though SNK Playmore is listed as the publisher for them.

Vamphuntr

The retron emulates really old system and requires you to have the actual carts for the games. It's not the same situation at all.

Wereroku

No big difference if this is ps1 emulation it's using the ps1 bios which is Sony property. The retron emulates bios free systems.

Gazunta

Actua Golf is seriously good people, get on that.

And yeah using PlayStation-style button prompts is fine. Remember the developers create the button prompt images, they're not copied from, like, a Sony library or anything. Part of the submission process is where the console manufacturer checks that the button prompts are 'close enough' to their own official ones.

Please explain what I'm assuming is a distinction you're making between it being sketchy that a PC game includes Playstation controller prompts but not Xbox controller prompts. You realize the symbols themselves aren't actually copywritten, right?

I'm more concerned about the memory card references. Since many games reference it by name because of TCRs. It also means using the art of it. I could be totally wrong about that legality, but we'll see.

lyrick

This must be an international version or something, neither my disc nor my PS1 classic has a language select or starts with the bugs with big white banners with X's on them.

rjc571

Banned
This must be an international version or something, neither my disc nor my PS1 classic has a language select or starts with the bugs with big white banners with X's on them.

You have it? Is it rendered in high resolution? What type of options, if any, does the emulator have?

The language select could mean that they uploaded the PAL version, which would suck since I assume the PAL version is 50hz only.

low-G

Very sketchy that the company has no real information, has discovered how to emulate things in a way never before discovered by anyone, and reached agreements with all these companies.

More likely an illegal operation using obscure titles hoping the games are too obscure to attract legal attention.

sangreal

This battle was already fought in the US, specifically with regards to PS1 games -- both Connectix (VGS) and Bleem! beat Sony in court but were driven out of business by the lawsuits

Wonder if they are paying a license to Sony or did they develop an emulator that works without bios? I'm unaware of a psx emulator that doesn't require bios to work well.

VGS, while lacking fancy graphical features, had high compatibility and ran well w/ a reverse-engineered bios and that was almost 20 years ago

lyrick

Is it rendered in high resolution? What type of options, if any, does the emulator have?

The language select could mean that they uploaded the PAL version, which would suck since I assume the PAL version is 50hz only.

Options:

Controls:

Fox Interactive splash screen is gone
There's a crazy low res prerendered title scene movie I've never seen before

Language Select

Different Logo

Odd targets (a tutorial level That wasn't in the NA release), "1up" above player score, "High Score" label and value are titled Horizontally

WOW. I remember this game from the Playstation Underground Christmas demo discs I got YEEEEEEEEEEEARS ago. Brings back tons of memories.

Enthus

The more games on PC, the better. Having a unified platform that spans generations is fantastic for players as a whole.

This is completely illegal. There is no way they got the rights for these games.

Edit: I may be wrong on N2O at least still not sure about the other games.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. I don't believe this for a moment. Selling emulated console games on steam with Steam Trading Cards and Achievements.. I don't know. That sounds suspect..

LewieP

Steam has a more comprehensive library of emulated PS1 games than the PS4 does. Sony should sort that out.

Although it can't be long till Atari get that taken down for mentioning Tempest in the description. Unless it has their blessing/involvement.

Faustek

There are several games from Infogrames on the site, which was the publisher of Koudelka in Europe.

Makes me wonder if they are emulating PAL games....Not sure how I feel about 50hz PSX games.

Makes me feel no different whatsoever. I can play it. I actually am :)

And yeah it's most definitely European.

Steam has a more comprehensive library of emulated PS1 games than the PS4 does. Sony should sort that out.

Although it can't be long till Atari get that taken down for mentioning Tempest in the description. Unless it has their blessing/involvement.

hah! Man that made me so pissed when all the journos asked Shu-san about the PS3 fucking backward compatibility on PS4 and somehow magically forgot the PS1/2 -.-

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Hmmm, I think it's time for the second coming of BLEEM.

Imagine playing MGS1 on your PC emulated through a Dreamcast?

Faustek

Hmmm, I think it's time for the second coming of BLEEM.

Imagine playing MGS1 on your PC emulated through a Dreamcast?

Sony didn't actually win that lawsuit right? They just won by default when they had ruined, financially, the developers of BLEEM?

Ohh and one more thing, does WB hold the rights to all of Midways European released games??

Woah, D and Koudelka. I'd likely get those if they got on Steam. Maybe we could get console emulated games of not great PC versions (FFVIII, Urban Chaos). Unlikely, but it would be tempting.

SparkTR

I think he probably is suggesting Square do it themselves since they should have the same right to do so as these guys do.

Correct, seems like a low-effort job for Square resulting in a decent RoI. And even FROM with their PS1 King's Field games.

Top Bottom