• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's on all PS3 news sites, though most are not exactly anti-piracy so I won't link.

This isn't technically piracy, since you can only use this to play your own disks right? You wouldn't be able just torrent devilmaycry3.iso and burn it on a CD / DVD and be able to play it off your ps triple right?

I am hoping this isn't an elaborate hack though, I would reallly like to not have to plug in my PS2 every time I wanna fire up an old title.

derder

It isn't, most calculations are done server side, you see..

u3SuVK2.png

woah

Ydahs

Who still cares for ps2 games

People who didn't get a chance to experience many of its great games and want a solution that would produce the best IQ possible (besides PC emulation of course).

I'd be very interested in this if it matures enough. I'm assuming Sony refined the emulator's upscaler to the point where the image quality would be serviceable for most people. Though if I were to mod my PS3, I'll probably wait until the console is dead, like I did with my Wii.

You can rip them from any DVD drive.

You cannot yet play from an external drive but i'm sure it will come soon. Currently the only way to get games to work is to manually replace the ISO of a bought PS2 classic game with an ISO you have patched and encrypted using the newly released tools. I am sure within a week there will be a tool to automate the process and easily switch between games though.

Ahh bummer. I've never bought a ps2 game on my CFW ps3.

I know you can update to a firmware with psn access but it's just not worth the effort for me.

N.A

Banned
This isn't technically piracy, since you can only use this to play your own disks right? You wouldn't be able just torrent devilmaycry3.iso and burn it on a CD / DVD and be able to play it off your ps triple right?

I am hoping this isn't an elaborate hack though, I would reallly like to not have to plug in my PS2 every time I wanna fire up an old title.

It loads any PS2 ISO. I'm not linking to the sites as they often link to illegal files.

Ahh bummer. I've never bought a ps2 game on my CFW ps3.

I know you can update to a firmware with psn access but it's just not worth the effort for me.

Expect this to be solved pretty soon.

Castcoder

Banned
I have a feeling the official emulator is as weak as the 80GB software emulation thanks to the lack of the emotion engine.

It's a shame sony can't see the positive press it would bring back BC to play PS2 games via disc. At worst you might have to install the discs for the emulator to properly work.

I have to guess there's a licensing issue when the original PS2 hardware or parts of it aren't present. I would love if the gaming press could get a statement out of sony on this discovery.

Must be a pretty good emulator after-all. PS2 emulation on PC is way more demanding than most of the ps3 hardware.

Matt_C

Only if they hack the emulator to use Action Replay/Codebreaker codes, region switcher, and a built in HD Loader to rip PS2 discs on the PS3? What a glorious day that would be!

StuBurns

Banned
I don't understand why people are surprised this is possible. And not even all the games out now play correctly, so no way in hell does this.

plainr_

Begs the question why doesn't Sony allow you to play your PS2 discs using this? (besides money of course). They could easily whitelist games that are compatible.

I'm guessing it probably requires a ton of manpower to test and finish through each game to find bugs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Because people are willing to buy the games again.

Buy what games? P3:FES is the only game worth a damn on the store. (Sorry Godhand fans)

As it is, good: Just shows that Sony could've done it on the Slim and it angers me they don't allow it after I had a Peter Parker PS2-BC die on me. >:|

It's a shame sony can't see the positive press it would bring back BC to play PS2 games via disc. At worst you might have to install the discs for the emulator to properly work.

I have to guess there's a licensing issue when the original PS2 hardware or parts of it aren't present. I would love if the gaming press could get a statement out of sony on this discovery.

Must be a pretty good emulator after-all. PS2 emulation on PC is way more demanding than most of the ps3 hardware.

I imagine that's the reason right there.

I really doubt the "any PS2 game" point. Has anyone tested it with e.g. ZoE 2 or Silent Hill 3?

Seriously, everyone always tests out the shitty games.

GoW2
ICO
ZoE2
MGS 2, 3
GTA:SA

You know... test out some of the games that used that 48 GB/s bandwidth that the PS3 doesn't have.

N.A

Banned
I really doubt the "any PS2 game" point. Has anyone tested it with e.g. ZoE 2 or Silent Hill 3?

Any PS2 game will attempt to run. No guarantees there won't be issues though. Compatibility won't be 100% but I expect 100's of games to be playable.

GoW2
ICO
ZoE2
MGS 2, 3

You know... test out some of the games that used that 48 GB/s bandwidth that the PS3 doesn't have.

MGS3 confirmed working and San Andreas is already available officially as a PS2 Classic.

Fisico

I have both Digital Devil Saga on my backlog, was waiting for a news like this.
Now i just have to find how to install a CFW

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I really really doubt so as well. The ps2 has more memory bandwidth than the ps3. Somebody play through an entire game and see if there are glitches .

Running and 'working' is not the same as being able to play through a game btw.

GoW2
ICO
ZoE2
MGS 2, 3

I think the most interesting games for this are the ones that haven't seen a PS3 remaster already though. I'd be interested to see if MK Deception or Shaolin Monks work.

Mael

That means I'll be able to play Romancing Saga again?
How does it work regarding the region lock issues?
I think I'll buy another ps3...

mclem

I don't understand why people are surprised this is possible. And not even all the games out now play correctly, so no way in hell does this.

I think people are surprised that the emulation is comprehensive enough to run games that haven't been officially released; we've known for ages that there's an emulator good enough for *some* stuff, but there was always the background understanding that the games we were seeing were those the emulation made good enough to be playable. Now it appears that rather more titles are compatible than previously expected.

I had hoped something like this might happen back when the first CFW exploits happened. Unfortunately I've since moved on from the version which could have been exploited, but I did keep my PS3 on an old version for several months in the hopes of an early breakthrough. I'd be very interested to hear if the emulator *only* works with .isos, or if it's perfectly happy being pointed at an original PS2 disc.

Dunan

I would love to play FF12 again on my PS3, and would go nuts if it were possible to play the English-translation-patched IZJS version.

Incidentally, looking at the words "any PS2 game", this hack removes region restrictions, doesn't it?

Minsc

Gold Member

Or even Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which used mip-mapping and generally struggled to run properly for a long time (and still technically is, the screen looks like crap and it requires hacks) from reading compatibility reports on pcsx2.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, the only reason you can't play PS2 games on a PS3 is cause they want to resell you the game, though I think HD graphics is incentive enough to buy again. 480p games don't look so hot on bigger TV's. So I don't see the issue.

This sounds cool though, but doing so makes your PS3 off-line only. No PSN, no multiplayer, nothing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
My PS3 will become a PS2 game emulating device as soon as next gen rolls around.

Durante

Or even Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which used mip-mapping and generally struggled to run properly for a long time (and still technically is, the screen looks like crap and it requires hacks) from reading compatibility reports on pcsx2.
I think it's still not running properly on pcsx2 with higher-than-native res.

The major problem is that the game uses SSAA (yeah, really, on the PS2).

hirokazu

How is the compatibility though?

I've always assumed the emulator couldn't play disc games because the compatibility isn't near 90%, so too many games wouldn't work for Sony to enable disc BC and have people complain.

It would be interesting if this wasn't actually the case.

jsnepo

Yeah, the only reason you can't play PS2 games on a PS3 is cause they want to resell you the game, though I think HD graphics is incentive enough to buy again. 480p games don't look so hot on bigger TV's. So I don't see the issue.

The issue is not being given the option. What if it's fine to me to just have upscaled PS2 games?

If this is true, then I hope it gets Sony off their rears to release it to the public.

I am pretty sure that some of the "features" that eventually came to the PSP started life as CFW hacks to unlock features already present in the firmware but were hidden.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I hooked my PS2 back up a few weeks ago but if they manage to have the emulator play PS2 discs instead of ISOs I'll definitely look into this CFW business.

Dereck

PS2 games look good on HDTVs with progressive scan and component cables.

I have a downgradeable PS3, and I might consider buying another PS3 and keeping my old one for scandalous bullshit like this. I have a large HDD too so this is convenient. Also, wireless PS2 gaming without having to buy some overpriced third party wireless PS2 controller that uses AAA batteries.

angelfly

Why would Sony give for free what they could charge for on a per game basis. It's the same reason they won't allow you to play PSP games on your PS3 (something else CFW can do).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I really really doubt so as well. The ps2 has more memory bandwidth than the ps3. Somebody play through an entire game and see if there are glitches .

Running and 'working' is not the same as being able to play through a game btw.

Indeed. For Sony to officially release this and claim full software BC with PS2 in a non-half-assed way would mean them testing every game through. Or, at least, enough of the catalog to provide full coverage of possible scenarios. I'm guessing confidence in the emulation performance isn't high enough to release it as a general emulator. That's why they don't just unlock this.

PsionBolt

Is there some specific PS2 hardware reason as to why exactly people think the compatibility would be low? It sounds similar to how pops works on PSP (for PS1 titles), and I know a similar rom-replacement trick works with Virtual Console titles on Wii as well. I'm kind of suprised this didn't happen sooner, really.

Top Bottom