• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3

Veezy

que?
Okay, that's what I needed to hear. I could never get my dual shock to work with the thing though. Even via USB. Have things changed?

I used this. No motionjoy bullshit. Plus, there's a link for a beta version that requires even LESS work and gets your bluetooth to work, so long as you have the proper dongle. As a matter of fact, it's so good for playing games on PC it might even deserve its own thread.

Is there a hack to overclock FFXII? I remember that the game was locked at 30 (even though the emulator said 60).

FFXII IJZS had a trigger on the L1 button that let you "overclock" the game and make it run at more than 2x the normal speed.

You could also use the PCSX2's built in turbo function to allow the emulator to run at any % over the normal 60 FPS. (150%, 200%, etc, set to the R3/L3 button which cycles through the various FPS caps.)

I thought that the full software emulator had been working since 2007, but it didn't work with enough games that Sony felt it shouldn't be released to the public (the impression I got was something like 60-70% of all games worked). What games did work, or at least could work with just a few tweaks, could instead be released as ps2 classics. This would explain why the ps1 emulator is still enabled on all ps3s.

It'd be interesting to see the true functionality rates of this emulator. Didn't even the partial hardware/software BC ps3s only play like 85% of games properly? Sony got a lot of shit just for that.

Dizzy-4U

FFXII IJZS You could also use the PCSX2's built in turbo function to allow the emulator to run at any % over the normal 60 FPS. (150%, 200%, etc, set to the R3/L3 button which cycles through the various FPS caps.)
But it just speeds up the game, right? I'd love for an overclock function like the one in 1964 which makes some games run at true 60fps instead of speedup. Easier said than done but hey, I can dream.

wanders

OP answering his own question in the same sentence.
Gotta sell those 'hd remakes'.

Just play your ps2 games on pcsx 2 people.
They have full flawless emulation for 99 percent of games now (more than on ps3) with perfect ps3 controller support.

You can play them at 4x resolution on any 5 year old half decent cpu and any random half decent gpu from after 2008.
You get savestates, you get unlimited saveslots, you get a frameskip option to fast forward tedious bits.
Most importantly you get 16x anisotropic texture filtering which makes the games look a lot better (no fuzzy textures at angles and at a distance)

It's the kind of emulation features that should have been in ps3 to begin with.

Here's final fantasy 12 rendered at 3x native res with a locked 60 fps on a dirt cheap cpu from 2008 and a hd6870:

edit: I'm adding this because it's a LOT more convenient than having to CFW your ps3 and it's a way superior way to emulate your games

Has PCSX2 improved overnight or something because when I tried running FF12 it was for sure not locked at 60 fps and my specs seem better than yours.

Oemenia

Banned
Has PCSX2 improved overnight or something because when I tried running FF12 it was for sure not locked at 60 fps and my specs seem better than yours.
People really are exaggerating speeds on PCSX2 especially since most of us are on laptops with CPUs that have low speeds, however new they are.

Veezy

que?
This gives me a reason to buy a PS3.

I wonder if 720p/1080p res will be available. Make it happen modders!
Probably not going to happen. You'd be better just going with PCSX2
But it just speeds up the game, right? I'd love for an overclock function like the one in 1964 which makes some games run at true 60fps instead of speedup. Easier said than done but hey, I can dream.
I'm not sure if it's doable. You're emulating a game that's designed to go at X framerate. Changing that probably requires messing with the game programming itself, right?
I've played FF12 at 1080p with a locked 30 FPS (jumped to 60 when I needed to speed shit up) with some really solid AA. It's a really good emulator right now, not sure when the last time you used it was.

wanders

People really are exaggerating speeds on PCSX2 especially since most of us are on laptops with CPUs that have low speeds, however new they are.

Exactly sometimes I just want the game to work. Though at that point maybe I should bust out the PS2 haha.

Anyone know if the PS2 classics emulator supports 4 controllers?

Veezy

que?
Exactly sometimes I just want the game to work. Though at that point maybe I should bust out the PS2 haha.

Anyone know if the PS2 classics emulator supports 4 controllers?

Games "just work" using PCSX2, including 4 controller support. You don't have to upscale or do anything to them and can probably get it to work on your PC. Up-scaling requires some muscle, but the PS3 doesn't even have that option. Plus, you don't have to mod your PC to get the emulator to work.

wanders

I've played FF12 at 1080p with a locked 30 FPS (jumped to 60 when I needed to speed shit up) with some really solid AA. It's a really good emulator right now, not sure when the last time you used it was.

I tested it last year and was around 30fps but with small dips. Maybe some people don't notice the dips. I'll go try it again. Do I download the latest version of PCSX2?

TimeKillr

I want to play DDS1/2 with my GF and I thought they were available on PSN in the US.. Apparently not! And my 60gig PS3 just died, so I'll have to do with PCSX2 and hopefully performance will be good :)

Games "just work" using PCSX2, including 4 controller support. You don't have to upscale or do anything to them and can probably get it to work on your PC. Up-scaling requires some muscle, but the PS3 doesn't even have that option. Plus, you don't have to mod your PC to get the emulator to work.

^^ If you don't have the GPU muscle you can always just run it at "native", which has an even lower base GPU requirement. The best experience comes from the extremely clean and non-aliased images you get from "up-rendering" the original picture to 3 - 6x the original PS2's rendering resolution though.

Veezy

que?
I tested it last year and was around 30fps but with small dips. Maybe some people don't notice the dips. I'll go try it again. Do I download the latest version of PCSX2?

Yes.

Just download 1.0.0. Follow either the written (recommended) or video set up instructions. Make sure you have a BIOS beforehand. Also, go here if you want to get your PS3 controller to work (along with button pressure sensitivity and rumble, I recommended the beta link there, you'll probably have Bluetooth support just need to make sure you download the latest 360 controller drivers). You could use motionjoy, but motionjoy sucks.

Like I said, the controller stuff is so well made, IMO, that anybody with PS3 controllers and wants to use them for gaming on their PC should have it installed.

Erasus

Everyone talking about speeds are posting real CPUs (desktops) :)

My CPU is an 2009 model (bought in 2010) and runs PCSX2 great, only tried FFXII though. They added a V0 cpu to its own core and its blazing now

Is there a list of what games run smoothly and what don't for PCSX2? I'm OCD in the sense that everything has to be running damn near perfectly or it would ruin the game for me. Would not want to play a game only to have it crap out on me halfway through it (Want to play all the SMT games for example along with FFXII IJZS).

androvsky

Follow the link in the Update part. Kotaku link by the way in case that bothers you, but it's a PDF straight from the source.

Could just be they either forgot to list it and/or didn't care to make the software to play back the audio, as supporting a relatively minor feature (audio playback when you'd only want to rip these days) may not be seen as worth developing software for versus supporting PS1 games that you'd need an emulator for if you intended to sell digitally at all.

Although given that an audio player could probably really easily include CD support and ripping (and they'd want a player just to verify the MP3s you have on system for custom soundtracks, unless THAT'S not happening either), so it probably doesn't bode well period. Really disappointing given that Sony was a front runner on BC, and rather than stay good about it even when it's spotty software it may be moving to "if we can charge them do it." :/

Thanks, now that I look at that PDF again, it's not a good sign that it lists DVD but not CD capability. :( I'll try to stay optimistic since Yoshida said it'd be technically very easy to allow people to put their PS1 discs in the PS4 and let them play it, although they're not ready to talk about their emulation plans yet.

Veezy

que?
Is there a list of what games run smoothly and what don't for PCSX2? I'm OCD in the sense that everything has to be running damn near perfectly or it would ruin the game for me. Would not want to play a game only to have it crap out on me halfway through it (Want to play all the SMT games for example along with FFXII IJZS).

For the PS3 emulator, this link was posted earlier in the thread.

For PCSX2, there's this.

Currently, PCSX2 has 1845 games that work fine (or anything that doesn't work doesn't disrupt gameplay, you can get from beginning to end), 313 that are able to get into the game but have issues running, 81 that can get to the menus, and a whopping 15 that cannot run at all. So, look up your game and see if it works.

Anteater

Not really surprising since the day they released god hand and there were news about work being done with the ps2 emulator on cfw a long while ago, haven't been keeping up with the news though.

Erasus

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_XII

XII has some slowdown in menus with high resolution. Also needs speeedhacks but its easy to enable in the menu.

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Nocturne
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_3_FES

Tested on DUAL CORE CPUs (jeez, remember those?) and it seems to run perfectly.

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_4

Also seems to run great, but needs speedhacks

OP answering his own question in the same sentence.
Gotta sell those 'hd remakes'.

Just play your ps2 games on pcsx 2 people.
They have full flawless emulation for 99 percent of games now (more than on ps3) with perfect ps3 controller support.

You can play them at 4x resolution on any 5 year old half decent cpu and any random half decent gpu from after 2008.
You get savestates, you get unlimited saveslots, you get a frameskip option to fast forward tedious bits.
Most importantly you get 16x anisotropic texture filtering which makes the games look a lot better (no fuzzy textures at angles and at a distance)

It's the kind of emulation features that should have been in ps3 to begin with.

Here's final fantasy 12 rendered at 3x native res with a locked 60 fps on a dirt cheap cpu from 2008 and a hd6870:

edit: I'm adding this because it's a LOT more convenient than having to CFW your ps3 and it's a way superior way to emulate your games

It's been a while since I've used it but, last time I played FFXII on it the input lag was pretty darn bad. Actually, it was absolutely horrible on every PS2 game I've played on it. It just bothered me too much to keep playing. I'll stick with my Fat PS3 + HDTVX Boot Disk + sfpCRT for now.

I sold my hacked PS3 since it was collecting dust. Majority of games are going digital. PS2 was non existent (unless you bought dongles or waited till now) and don't really care to play SNES games on my PS3. Honestly the only reason to hack your PS3 is to pirate games IMO. Not saying everyone does it, but it's most likely the most popular reason.

PCSX2 is a beast too.

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_XII

XII has some slowdown in menus with high resolution. Also needs speeedhacks but its easy to enable in the menu.

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Nocturne
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_3_FES

Tested on DUAL CORE CPUs (jeez, remember those?) and it seems to run perfectly.

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_4

Also seems to run great, but needs speedhacks

For the PS3 emulator, this link was posted earlier in the thread.

For PCSX2, there's this.

Currently, PCSX2 has 1845 games that work fine (or anything that doesn't work doesn't disrupt gameplay, you can get from beginning to end), 313 that are able to get into the game but have issues running, 81 that can get to the menus, and a whopping 15 that cannot run at all. So, look up your game and see if it works.

Fantastic. Thank you gentlemen.

It's been a while since I've used it but, last time I played FFXII on it the input lag was pretty darn bad. Actually, it was absolutely horrible on every PS2 game I've played on it. It just bothered me too much to keep playing. I'll stick with my Fat PS3 + HDTVX Boot Disk + sfpCRT for now.

This is also a concern of mine which is why in the end, I still prefer playing on the PS2 but I am willing to try PCSX2.

Veezy

que?
This is also a concern of mine which is why in the end, I still prefer playing on the PS2 but I am willing to try PCSX2.

Yeah, they must have played a LONG time ago, because I was using PCSX2 to play both SMT Nocturne and FF12 Zodiac and both of them rocked socks. No input or lag issues at dat sweet 1080p

Veezy

que?
I'm considering buying another PS3 just to do this.

Care to point me anywhere to tell me what I need to do to have CFW?

It would probably be a lot cheaper to just get a PS2. If you want to upscale PS2 games, PSCX2 is going to do that for you, since this emulator only lets you play them. If you want to emulate everything on a console, a Wii is your best bet (with the exception of some games).

Really, modding a PS3 to play PS2 games isn't really wise from a time/payoff/expensive mindset compared to the other options.

RSLAEV

Amen to that. I've a PS3 with PS2 BC, and I actually prefer running my old ass PS2 games on my low end laptop on PCSX2.

Forget about the stock 3 core Phenom II, If you have a machine with a Core 2 clocked at 3.0+GHz (circa 2007-2009), and a super low end card like mine (Radeon 4670), you still can pull off FF X and XII at 3x res with 60 FPS most of the time. Multiple menus slow it down to 50-ish, but it's a very minor issue as compared to the benefits of uprendering.

Hrm. I have an i3 and a radeon 6770 (16gb) ram and I got serious audio slowdown playing FF12 on PCSX2 using any uprendering.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, they must have played a LONG time ago, because I was using PCSX2 to play both SMT Nocturne and FF12 Zodiac and both of them rocked socks. No input or lag issues at dat sweet 1080p

I only really played my vanilla copy of FF12 on PCSX2, and it ran perfectly, even in cities. On a dualcore even.

Javaman

Fucking Sony. I KNEW it. I so would have bought a PS3 instead of a 360 had they not ganked the ps2 support. Looks like it was totally money related.

Can you run CFW on any of the new slimline ps3s?

destrudo

This is kind of scummy really. At the very least they should just sell the emulator or something, rather than forcing people to re-buy games or HD remakes. Especially when you consider a ton of games will never be re-released because of licensing or other issues. Though Ideally the emulator would be free considering how pissed off people were when they removed BC.

It would probably be a lot cheaper to just get a PS2. If you want to upscale PS2 games, PSCX2 is going to do that for you, since this emulator only lets you play them. If you want to emulate everything on a console, a Wii is your best bet (with the exception of some games).

Really, modding a PS3 to play PS2 games isn't really wise from a time/payoff/expensive mindset compared to the other options.

I see that now after actually reading the entire thread. I'll do the PSCX2 emulator.

Does PCSX2 only work with the game discs or can it use ISOs? My iMac died recently and the only computer I have is a Windows 7 drawing tablet, which theoretically can run the emulation software but it doesn't have a DVD drive. I have a USB drive that I could use to rip my games, but I don't know if it's fast enough to play from the discs.

Last time I tried PCSX2 it was struggling a bit on my i7 laptop with an overclocked 555m and that was about a year or so ago. Is it really that much better now? I tried DQVIII and it was pretty sluggish and FFXII was a bit better but not full speed.

This is kind of scummy really. At the very least they should just sell the emulator or something, rather than forcing people to re-buy games or HD remakes. Especially when you consider a ton of games will never be re-released because of licensing or other issues. Though Ideally the emulator would be free considering how pissed off people were when they removed BC.
The emulator doesn't work with every game

Oh man, awesome.

I have so many PS2 games that I never even opened, let alone played all the way through, and playing them on a CRT TV or stretched on an HD TV makes me nauseated. (Ratchet & Clank 1 looks like a muddy blurry mess, ugh).

I hope my tablet can run it!

Wow, I was kind of curious about this once PS2 games started appearing on PSN.

That's really scummy of Sony not to allow disc use; no surprises, though.

I would probably buy a new PS3 if this was unlocked, my PS2 is dying (of course) and it would open up a couple of PS3 exclusives I wanted to play.

Last time I tried PCSX2 it was struggling a bit on my i7 laptop with an overclocked 555m and that was about a year or so ago. Is it really that much better now? I tried DQVIII and it was pretty sluggish and FFXII was a bit better but not full speed.

The laptop's i7 was probably underclocked (not set to High Performance/Turbo). The 555m could also have been throttling due to overheating issues on your laptop.

If my Core 2 Duo @ 2.8 GHz and Radeon 4670 can handle those games (DQ at native res and FFXII at full speed with x3 res, and some drops when accessing the high res menu screens), your superior quad core i7 should be able to tackle it. MTVU is a good speedhack to enable when you have 3+ cores.

clav

Basically, Sony approached its downloadable PS2 games like Nintendo did with WiiWare.

Very scummy that it had to be found this way.

Sony removed BC for PS3 and then made the only way to play old games was through its own store or re-releases.

How is GAF not enraged?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Basically, Sony approached its downloadable PS2 games like Nintendo did with WiiWare.

Sony removed BC for PS3 and then made the only way to play old games was through its own store or re-releases.

How is GAF not enraged?

Worse than Nintendo, really.

Nintendo supported the previous disc-based system (Gamecube) for free. They re-sold classic games, but from platforms that were very old or not otherwise compatible.

Sony is the one who trumpeted "we see Playstation as a format" at the beginning of the 7th generation. Then after a year they removed BC for PS2, to start selling the games. The interesting part is it was originally supposed to be a cost-saving feature, since chipsets had to be removed. The last PS3's with BC still used only partial software emulation.

Now, as it turns out, Sony's software emulator is basically perfect, with a few glitches that I would assume could have been removed with testing aimed at adding compatibility for all games.

So yeah.

Brannon

Not even surprised. And I'd be mad, except I've been throwing my PS2 collection at PCSX2 for years, so there's that.

PC means never having to wait for Grace Chen to put Rogue Galaxy on the damn service.

test_account

XP-39C²
To the people who call out this being about greed only, can i assume that you have technical description on how exactly the emulator works and such? And why did it takes years before the PS2 games were sold in the PS Store from when they removed the PS2 hardware from the PS3? Otherwise i wonder why people call this being by greed only.

No because currently the emulator only loads ISO's patched and encrypted using the key from an official PS2 classic game.
I see. How long do you think it will take before discs are supported?

How is GAF not enraged?
PS1 backward compability was always there and it still is. Sony removed PS2 backward compability because of the PS2 hardware that was used in the PS3. There were years between this happen and until we saw the first PS2 Classic being sold on the PS Store.

The interesting part is it was originally supposed to be a cost-saving feature, since chipsets had to be removed. The last PS3's with BC still used only partial software emulation.

Now, as it turns out, Sony's software emulator is basically perfect, with a few glitches that I would assume could have been removed with testing aimed at adding compatibility for all games.

So yeah.
This was the only reason in my opinion. The PS2 software emulator was worked on later on, otherwise it makes no sense to me to include PS2 hardware to begin with if the software emulator was perfect. It also took years before we saw PS2 games being sold in the PS Store. They didnt remove PS1 backward compability eventhough they could.

Top Bottom