• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

What does "HW hacks can improve font" mean? I really hate how ugly the font gets in DQ8 when I up the resolution.

The WildArmsOffset under GSdx fixes some of the fonts. I am using svn revision 5128 from this page: http://pcsx2.net/svn.php

2JDHP.png
hufEo.png

LOL those are some hilarious screenshots. I especially like how everybody and everything is fatter and wider than it should be!

Lime

Is there a way to transfer PCSX2 saves back to a backwards compatible PS3?

Yes. Copy your memory card to a FAT32 usb and copy the save files from the usb to your PS3.

However, if there are problems, use the following programs:

MyMC
Ps2savebuilder
Psv exporter

You may need to convert the PCSXe memory card to a .psv file. The above programs should be able to do it, I think.

Yes. Copy your memory card to a FAT32 usb and copy the save files from the usb to your PS3.

However, if there are problems, use the following programs:

MyMC
Ps2savebuilder
Psv exporter

There's no compatibility issue? PS2 saves on PS3 have the .psv file format and I had to convert them using those programs to get it working on PCSX2. You don't have to do the same going backwards?

Lime

There's no compatibility issue? PS2 saves on PS3 have the .psv file format and I had to convert them using those programs to get it working on PCSX2. You don't have to do the same going backwards?

Nevermind, I can't seem to find a .psv converter. You might be out of luck, I don't know.

Window

How well does Sly 2 work for people here? It's extremely slow for me. Are there specific settings which need to be followed or are my specs just not good enough? For reference => i7 QM720 (I think) @ 1.6GHz and graphics card is an ATI 5650 which runs FF12 smoothly at default resolution.

Anybody know how to get WRC Rally Evolved to work? You go to load up a stage and it takes you back to the main menu.

Ghosthunter looks pretty good, some of the effects are missing though:

ghost1zootk.jpg

ghost3e8rim.jpg

ghost4j5qxv.jpg

Can some of you guys put up some images of Japanese games?
I'm curious to see how the sharp text looks when upscaled.

I have a bunch of Japanese rpgs that I want to play, and I may upgrade up PC sooner if it looks much better than the the way I'm playing at the moment.

ChryZ

Silent Hill 2

- PCSX2 0.9.9 R5135, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@850MHz, 1920x1200
- Preset Safest
- GSdx 5135 SSE41: Direct3D9, 4x Native, Software Mode Settings Extra rendering threads 3, rest default
- SPU2-X all default
- FXAA enabled

It seems SH3 doesn't render very well with Direct3D11, lots of lighting glitches. So I didn't bothered to try Direct3D11 with SH2, Direct3D9 runs flawless. The game emulated perfectly for the hour I tested it, pretty crazy given the amount of particle and post processing effects (fog, grain filter, etc). Video cut-scenes are watchable in software rendering mode, just hit F9 when a video starts and afterwards again to switch back to hardware rendering for the normal gameplay. Screenshots aren't doing the game justice on PCSX2, anyway here's the usual strip:

Hey guys, so I've returned back to using the PCSX2 for FFXII and Kingdom Hearts 2. I managed to get it all working well, but whenever I use MSAA with KH2, I get this...

pcsx22012-04-0614-37-94rz6.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

How do I bump up the res when in software plugin mode? I'm having glitch trouble with The Getaway Black Monday when using the hardware plugin:

geta228xrho.jpg

geta7hdktj.jpg

in software it's flawess but it looks like ass because of the low res:
geta3ccj4r.jpg

Well, just set the AA to 0, then scale it to X3 or something. It'll smooth out some of the jaggies.

I scale to 4x, but it's still jaggy as fuck. Same with 5x. I played the game with AA on last year, but after getting the most recent version it's not happening.

FFxii is also giving me grief now too. I had AA on the last time I played it, and it looked lovely, like KH2. Now I get lines through character faces, (namely Vaan) when running around etc. It's distracting since I take pictures. :/

ChryZ

Silent Hill 3

- Preset Safest
- GSdx 5135 SSE41: Direct3D9, 4x Native, Software Mode Settings Extra rendering threads 3, rest default
- SPU2-X all default
- FXAA enabled

Game runs flawless with Direct3D9. Opening and pre-rendered video cut-scenes are watchable via the F9 software/hardware rendering toggle. Looks fantastic:

gameplay / realtime cut-scenes

legacyzero

Banned
Silent Hill 3

- Preset Safest
- SPU2-X all default
- FXAA enabled

Game runs flawless with Direct3D9. Opening and pre-rendered video cut-scenes are watchable via the F9 software/hardware rendering toggle. Looks fantastic:

gameplay / realtime cut-scenes

My god, it looks so good. I'm gonna have to put this in and try it!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ChryZ said:
Screenshots aren't doing the game justice on PCSX2
If I'm seeing right there's still no shadows - so I'd say screens are representative enough (ie. it's not worth bothering with in this state :( SH game without shadows might as well be Barbie's lake picnic ).

ChryZ

If I'm seeing right there's still no shadows - so I'd say screens are representative enough (ie. it's not worth bothering with in this state :( SH game without shadows might as well be Barbie's lake picnic ).
Damn you, way to rain on my parade. This shot sums up my reaction nicely:

huhjja13.png

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ChryZ said:
Damn you, way to rain on my parade. This shot sums up my reaction nicely:
To be fair, SH3 has a perfect version on PC, so it's not such a big deal how it runs emulated. I am more frustrated with SH2, which with all of its iterations doesn't have the "definitive" version at the moment :( (same engine, same problems with emulated version).

Is it easy to transfer PS2 saves from a PS2 system to PC? I reallllly wanna start a game of Nocturne, but not lose my save when i get a new pc. Some blog suggested that you could just copy them over to a usb stick...truth or lies?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Is it easy to transfer PS2 saves from a PS2 system to PC? I reallllly wanna start a game of Nocturne, but not lose my save when i get a new pc. Some blog suggested that you could just copy them over to a usb stick...truth or lies?

You can transfer PS2 saves to a USB stick, but you need to have Free MC Boot / a boot disc like SwapMagic / a modded PS2 to be able to load a file manager like uLaunchElf.

You can transfer PS2 saves to a USB stick, but you need to have Free MC Boot / a boot disc like SwapMagic / a modded PS2 to be able to load a file manager like uLaunchElf.

yeah, looking to play as cheaply and simply as possible, not sure I'll go for any of that.

what about the PS3/PS2 memory card adapter, I actually have one of those laying around...I see tuts for PS1 to PC, but not PS2 to PC.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, looking to play as cheaply and simply as possible, not sure I'll go for any of that.

what about the PS3/PS2 memory card adapter, I actually have one of those laying around...I see tuts for PS1 to PC, but not PS2 to PC.

Oh! If you have a PS3 and the adapter, then it'll work. I backed up all my PS2 saves to my PC using the MC Adapter. Then used MyMC (http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca:11068/mymc/index.html) to add the saves to an existing PCSX2 virtual memory card.

dokish

Banned
Can't make threads yet.

Let me ask something to you, guys. It is still worth it buying an old PS2 for playing games from HD?

I love my Wii's HD and Xbox's (the first one), and I was considering the possibility. I know, this is a thread about the PCSX2, so why not buy a great PC? Well, I really like playing on Tvs because my poor sight (Keratoconus), and is so much work plug the PC on the TV. And is not everygame that runs well on PCSX2, besides, I want the HD precisely to play older and "forgot gems" of the PS2, probably these games won't run pretty well. (Like Trapt?)

Help appreciated.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've just started messing around with this and I've got an issue where all my games look really blurry, to the point where I start getting a headache from playing as everything looks out of focus. This is using DX11 and at any resolution or level of scaling.

iFZ6P18Nl4EOK.png

You can sort of see it there, but it's far more pronounced in motion. Actually it doesn't show up in the screenshot at all... hmm.

Any ideas?

Yasae

Banned
I've just started messing around with this and I've got an issue where all my games look really blurry, to the point where I start getting a headache from playing as everything looks out of focus. This is using DX11 and at any resolution or level of scaling.

[IMGhttp://i.minus.com/iFZ6P18Nl4EOK.png[/IMG]

You can sort of see it there, but it's far more pronounced in motion. Actually it doesn't show up in the screenshot at all... hmm.

Any ideas?
Could be interlacing. Some blends induce motion blur. Try hitting F5 until you find one that works the best.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No dice on the interlacing.

Took a pic off my screen where you can see it much better.

ircUL3OJFIPnB.JPG

It's really odd.

I think some PS2 games run a filter on top of everything to try and mitigate jaggies and give the game in question a more anti-aliased look.

Okami does this, for example.

Eiji

I think some PS2 games run a filter on top of everything to try and mitigate jaggies and give the game in question a more anti-aliased look.

So does the US version of Tekken Tag. The JP version doesn't and has a very clean image output but looks much more aliased than the US version on the actual console.

I believe the correct term for this filter is "flicker filter".

Redrum_82

Can't make threads yet.

Let me ask something to you, guys. It is still worth it buying an old PS2 for playing games from HD?

I love my Wii's HD and Xbox's (the first one), and I was considering the possibility. I know, this is a thread about the PCSX2, so why not buy a great PC? Well, I really like playing on Tvs because my poor sight (Keratoconus), and is so much work plug the PC on the TV. And is not everygame that runs well on PCSX2, besides, I want the HD precisely to play older and "forgot gems" of the PS2, probably these games won't run pretty well. (Like Trapt?)

Help appreciated.

I think it's still worth buying one.

Connecting a PC to a TV is a very easy process these days, but the real problem is compatibility. Most of the games that are considered playable have still minor issues (visual artifacts, inconsistent framerate, sound glitches). You gain better graphics and savestates, but it's not really the same thing as playing on a real ps2.

Also PCSX2 requires a PS2 bios dump to run, so it's technically illegal to use it without owning the original hardware.

Sinatar -

I've got a similar problem with Nocturne - the only interlacing I can find that stops the juddering gives the image a slightly blurred look. All the others are jittery, or sharp but with pronounced "scanlines".

The other interesting quirk I've noticed with Nocturne is a semi-transparent bar that runs across the top of the screen where the Kagutsuchi/area title are. It's occasionally not present, and it normally vanishes in shops etc., but for the general "field" gameplay it's almost always present. For reference, I'm running the PAL version under the NTSC option from the in-game menu...

EDIT:

Switching to the 50Hz/PAL option in the game menu removes the bar leaving a clean display, but it's at the cost of the smoother gameplay of the NTSC option.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Can I only use the MTVU speed hack on the 32 bit version of this and not the 64 bit version? Thanks in advance.

kitanii

Banned
As of 0.9.9- 5179 it works almost perfectly. The extremely long loading times are eliminated and it actually runs pretty good.

view.php

Good times awaiting.

EDIT: And of course the image isn't displayed. Oh well.

ss_lemonade

I just think its because a lot of ps2 games were really low res natively, and had no progressive scan support. I guess that's why dreamcast games through nulldc and gamecube/wii games through dolphin look extremely sharp because they all have progressive scan support.

The interlacing options in the emulator help with some games, but yeah sometimes motion blur is a side effect

I just think its because a lot of ps2 games were really low res natively, and had no progressive scan support. I guess that's why dreamcast games through nulldc and gamecube/wii games through dolphin look extremely sharp because they all have progressive scan support.

The interlacing options in the emulator help with some games, but yeah sometimes motion blur is a side effect

But there are plenty of PS2 games that also look extremely sharp. It's just a small handful of games that do the filter.

So, I'm getting a really weird problem in Berserk Ps2. First off, all in game cutscenes are black and second this happens to the hud:

FDXvY.jpg

If I use software instead of hardware these problems go away but then it looks like shit (cause its native res) and it runs HORRIBLY in places.

Any clue how I could fix this?

Edit: Turning off texture filtering got rid of the pink, but the cut scenes still don't work and my health bar is black. I guess I could play the game without seeing my health (might be more fun that way in a sense lol);

coopolon

So I'm playing FFXII IZJS and overall it runs quite well at the settings linked to in the OP. But when I reach the nomad village in the Giza plains (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong) it starts dropping to 40-50 fps.

My system is an e8400@3Ghz and 5870, running everything exactly as is described in the guide the op wrote up.

I first thought it was my cpu, but when I bring up task manager my cpu is sitting around 75% utilized, which means it's not maxing out my cpu. I can OC my cpu to ~ 3.6ghz, but if it's not maxing it out at 3ghz I'm not sure what good that would do.

Any ideas?

Edit: A few clarifications. I'm not using any HW AA (the option is greyed out for me on d3d11 hardware). I tried lowering the internal rendering resolution to 2x and that had no effect which is why I assume it's not gpu limited. I tried playing with speedhacks using the presets. Turning up to preset 6 makes it think it is getting 60fps but really the entire game is on slowdown. At preset 3 (the middle one) it behaves the same as it does when using the OP's speedhacks.

I think I'm just going to live with it for now, reading around it sounds like Giza plains is kind of bad area for a lot of people so if it stays confined there I can deal with it.

ss_lemonade

So I'm playing FFXII IZJS and overall it runs quite well at the settings linked to in the OP. But when I reach the nomad village in the Giza plains (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong) it starts dropping to 40-50 fps.

My system is an e8400@3Ghz and 5870, running everything exactly as is described in the guide the op wrote up.

I first thought it was my cpu, but when I bring up task manager my cpu is sitting around 75% utilized, which means it's not maxing out my cpu. I can OC my cpu to ~ 3.6ghz, but if it's not maxing it out at 3ghz I'm not sure what good that would do.

Any ideas?

Edit: A few clarifications. I'm not using any HW AA (the option is greyed out for me on d3d11 hardware). I tried lowering the internal rendering resolution to 2x and that had no effect which is why I assume it's not gpu limited. I tried playing with speedhacks using the presets. Turning up to preset 6 makes it think it is getting 60fps but really the entire game is on slowdown. At preset 3 (the middle one) it behaves the same as it does when using the OP's speedhacks.

I think I'm just going to live with it for now, reading around it sounds like Giza plains is kind of bad area for a lot of people so if it stays confined there I can deal with it.
I think you just need to OC your cpu. 3 - 3.6 should be a pretty good boost.

I used to have an e8400 as well and remember having problems trying to stabilize the framerate at 60fps

coopolon

I think you just need to OC your cpu. 3 - 3.6 should be a pretty good boost.

I used to have an e8400 as well and remember having problems trying to stabilize the framerate at 60fps
Yup, oc'ed to 3.6 and it completely fixed the problem. I guess maybe it was maxing out a core (I didn't check the individual cores), so upping the speed on that core eliminated the slow down. Thanks!

ruttyboy

The WildArmsOffset under GSdx fixes some of the fonts. I am using svn revision 5128 from this page: http://pcsx2.net/svn.php
Thanks for sharing this setup, I’ve been wanting to play DQVIII for a while but didn’t think my PC would be up to it. Between your config and a bit of trial and error I managed to find a perfectly playable setting that still looks fantastic (I’ll enthuse about that at the end), so there is hope for the less well endowed!

My setup is a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz (oc’ed to 2.88GHz for this) / 2GB RAM / 512MB 8800GT. That’s right on the bottom of what PCSX2’s website says is required to run the emulator properly. I used the latest SVN build (can’t remember exactly but over 5100).

I used flashbandit’s original setup on page 14 except for the following differences:

I used my PAL version of the game rather than the NTSC (so it’s capped to 50FPS rather than 60FPS).

Framelimiter is on – if I took it off the music was linked to the framerate so for example if it hit 100FPS (on the main title screen) the music was at double speed.

Interlacing is at ‘Auto’

Scaling is ‘3x native’

In the hardware hacks as well as the WildArms Offset (to fix the text), I have Skipdraw set to 1 as this brings the shadows back.

No anti-aliasing as it screwed the frame rate, but at 3x native you really don’t need it.

As I have a 1680 x 1080 monitor I set the Custom Window Size to 1680*945 (so 16:9 rather than the monitor’s 16:10).

Speed hacks – Only the recommended ones (so just enable them and then leave it)

And that’s it. I’ve had no issues so far (about 5 hours in) with the speedhacks and you really need them as they add about 10FPS in the outdoor areas. There are occasional framerate drops but nothing too upsetting and probably still better than the PS2, but generally it chugs along at 50FPS and looks AMAZING.

Seriously, on the looking amazing point, I can’t believe it. When I originally played it on PS2 it looked nice, but now I am constantly in awe. Everytime a new baddie turns up I just spend ages gawping at the detail and the animation, and the shading, oh god, the shading! The drackies (the black/blue bat things) look real! Well, if a cartoon was real anyway. Obviously the Toriyama artstyle is cool, but that only adds to what is a technical and stylistic tour de force!

Basically the game is hands down the best use of cel-shading I’ve ever seen, the original developers must have been gutted that nobody could see how beautiful it all is. You can stand on top of a hill and see into the far distance picking out landmarks that would originally have been an indistinct blob while the world turns from day through a beautiful evening to night. Just to be sure I wasn’t getting over excited I booted it up on the PS2 proper and honestly, that’s the first time I’ve gone, “WTF is that?” looking at the pixellated mess.

In summary I now hate the push for realism in graphics.

Top Bottom