• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Billychu said:
Cutscenes aren't working with that FFXII config. They run at about 2 FPS and then the emulator crashes unless I skip the scene. Specifically what graphics plugin are you using?

EDIT: Turned HW AA down to 0x and it's running flawlessly now. Bizarre.
EDIT 2: 0x, 1x, and 2x work fine but 4x causes the crashing during cutscenes but performance during gameplay is basically the same between all 4.
Huh, interesting. I suppose there's a reason that HW AA is a hack and not a normal graphics option... I'll put a note about it in the Config. I haven't seen any documentation about the setting online, so I'm really interested in other people's experiences with the compatibility and performance of hardware AA in the emulator.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Thanks for the guide. I need to get into this.

edit: I guess I'll use this to play FFXII Zodiac Job System. I played the original Final Fantasy XII and I got to some Oil Fields that were long as hell. After that I was completely exhausted from playing the game, and didn't pick it up after that. I remember investing a lot of hours before that doing tedious crap, so I'm not looking forward to that again.

Kenka

Top 5 of the best OP ever.

Thanks for all this info. Persona 4 and FF XIII run like smooth butter. ExMachina, could you update the OP with the config info for the 360 pad as well ?

Dascu

Great thread. Not sure if I'll be posting any configs myself, but I will definitely check this thread from time to time, to help out where I can.

Melhisedek said:
Any Persona 4 configs?
Default settings should do fine.

Shaneus

Is it widely known that GT4 runs like shit? There's crazy slowdown everywhere :(

However, Virtua Racing from Sega Classics runs fine. If one runs well, so should another!*

*Sarcasm, gents :)

Ignignort

Incredible op!

Most games work great provided you have a reasonably new pc and are willing to fiddle around, so the config settings will help alot of people, bravo

I assume this thread will work for config problem too? I got graphic glitch with San Andreas. I'm not changing the config or anything. here's some pic
1z5rb02.jpg

you can see some ghost like image overlayed on top of the game. any ideas how to fix it?

Lime

Why not play the PC version of San Andreas instead of spending energy on setting up a non-stable emulated version?

Lime said:
Why not play the PC version of San Andreas instead of spending energy on setting up a non-stable emulated version?

I bought san andreas from steam and mapping the control to my dualshock is quite annoying =(

Lime

Callibretto said:
I bought san andreas from steam and mapping the control to my dualshock is quite annoying =(

haha, so fiddling around with an emulator is not? Does not fempute.

Too bad though. Unfortunately I cannot help you. If you want to give your PC version of GTA: SA another try, download Xpadder and assign the appropriate buttons.

Ryu1999

Could definitely use some help with Def Jam: Fight For New York.

Running a i7-920 @ 3.5ghz, 6gb ram, ATI 6950, and even though fps says 55-fps, the game feels really slow and jerky.

Vorador

Banned
Ryu1999 said:
Could definitely use some help with Def Jam: Fight For New York.

Running a i7-920 @ 3.5ghz, 6gb ram, ATI 6950, and even though fps says 55-fps, the game feels really slow and jerky.

Try the basics: disable frameskipping, and activate the speedhacks, starting by the recommended ones and slowly increasing them until you're good.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Persona 4 runs perfectly with default settings and it looks awesome. =] The Persona games and Final Fantasy games for PS2 are probably the best ones to try emulating first.

Corran Horn said:
Cool got it to work well. Played some of my FF12 Zodiac for the first time lol (I dont know why I import games I cant play -.-)

Streamed a bit here to test if that would work and did.
http://www.justin.tv/corran666/b/283649710 *Ignore audio issue at start of video, forgot I had audio looping from stream.
http://www.justin.tv/corran666/b/283651004

Nice! Are you planning to patch the image with English text? The patched IZJS works in PCSX2 just as well as any other version of FF12.

Kenka said:
Thanks for all this info. Persona 4 and FF XIII run like smooth butter. ExMachina, could you update the OP with the config info for the 360 pad as well ?
No prob, enjoy P4 and FF12, they run great and are awesome games to boot. :p

Y'mean upload a Lilypad config or something? It's pretty easy to set up a controller with either PAD plugin, and I'm not sure how useful a config made with my converter would be...

Callibretto said:
I assume this thread will work for config problem too? I got graphic glitch with San Andreas. I'm not changing the config or anything. here's some pic
you can see some ghost like image overlayed on top of the game. any ideas how to fix it?
Is there ghosting when running it at native resolution? What about with a software renderer?

Maybe try running it on the newest SVN possible and seeing if any of the GSdx hacks, like Skipdraw, help at all.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
ExMachina said:
Persona 4 runs perfectly with default settings and it looks awesome. =] The Persona games and Final Fantasy games for PS2 are probably the best ones to try emulating first.

Nice! Are you planning to patch the image with English text? The patched IZJS works in PCSX2 just as well as any other version of FF12.

No prob, enjoy P4 and FF12, they run great and are awesome games to boot. :p

Y'mean upload a Lilypad config or something? It's pretty easy to set up a controller with either PAD plugin, and I'm not sure how useful a config made with my converter would be...

Is there ghosting when running it at native resolution? What about with a software renderer?

Maybe try running it on the newest SVN possible and seeing if any of the GSdx hacks, like Skipdraw, help at all.
Holy shit it has english text patch now? Guess I'll do that once I get home. Thanks

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any tips for getting Ridge Racer V running well?

It seems to have a lot of issues when I attempt to use it. Would love to see the game running in high resolution at 60 fps without any odd hitches or other issues.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So what is SSE4a? I have SSE4.1 and 4.2. Is this an AMD and Intel thing?

I have a SB2500K and I have MMX and all the SSE's except that 4a I seen in an earlier post.

Lime said:
haha, so fiddling around with an emulator is not? Does not fempute.

Too bad though. Unfortunately I cannot help you. If you want to give your PC version of GTA: SA another try, download Xpadder and assign the appropriate buttons.

well, I haven't fooled around with the emulator too much. I just try steam version, have hard time changing the controller so I tried ps2 emulator, leave it to default or standard setting and found the graphic glitch. just wonder if there's a fix for the glitch.

I'll google for xpadder later, thanks

ExMachina said:

there's ghosting with native res too, I even try the other gpu plugin, zero something plugin and it still have ghosting

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
KPunk said:
hmm, i think i may have to try this emulator. any configs for RE4?

I've been playing RE4.

My plugins:

PCSX2 0.9.7.r3876 (modded) - compiled on Oct 5 2010
Savestate version: 0x8b4c0000

x86-32 Init:
CPU vendor name = GenuineIntel
FamilyID = b
x86Family = Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
CPU speed = 2.665 ghz
Cores = 2 physical [2 logical]
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 0000e3fd
x86EFlags = 20100000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3

Allocating memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
Binding GS : C:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.7\Plugins\gsdx-sse2-r3878.dll
Windows 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1 1.0)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (8.17.12.5896)
Binding PAD : C:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.7\Plugins\lilypad-r3878.dll
Binding SPU2 : C:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.7\Plugins\spu2-x-r3878.dll
(GameDB) 8934 games on record (loaded in 328ms)
Binding CDVD : C:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.7\Plugins\cdvdGigaherz.dll
Binding USB : C:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.7\Plugins\USBnull.dll
Binding FW : C:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.7\Plugins\FWnull.dll
Binding DEV9 : C:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.7\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

I have speedhacks enabled, and the other recommended hacks as well. Everything else is default settings I'm pretty sure. Oh, and I'm running 1280x720 internal resolution.

The game runs badly for the initial village scene but after that runs full speed most of the time. If your CPU is better than mine (and it probably is) you should have even better results.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Gvaz said:
It has for quite a while, lol
I dont have a hacked ps2 so I never really looked into playing it -.-'''

Got the translation working tho, not bad. Makes the game interesting now haha.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
So what is SSE4a? I have SSE4.1 and 4.2. Is this an AMD and Intel thing?
Yeah, SSE4a is an AMD only subset of SSE4... very few instructions compared to SSE4.1/2 and isn't really utilized by many programs. Apparently AMD's upcoming Bulldozer chips will support SSE4.1 and 4.2 though.

Callibretto said:
there's ghosting with native res too, I even try the other gpu plugin, zero something plugin and it still have ghosting
Ah, I see. If it was fine in native, then it probably could have been fixed with the offset hack but I guess it's just a compatibility issue that needs to be addressed in a new SVN...

But yea, give the PC version a shot, should be easier to get Xpadder working with your controller. :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
dark10x said:
Any tips for getting Ridge Racer V running well?

It seems to have a lot of issues when I attempt to use it. Would love to see the game running in high resolution at 60 fps without any odd hitches or other issues.
I have that game and it's the buggiest game of all that I've tried. Artifacts and odd glitches in opening cinematic. When I go into a race, it runs at like 10fps and slow motion.

teiresias

Speaking of Persona 4, how do the Digital Devil Saga games run? I've been thinking of picking them up since I never played them.

hteng

Banned
why is there a PS2 emulation but not a PSP emulation? been looking for one and only found JCPSP. sorry if off topic

Ledsen

teiresias said:
Speaking of Persona 4, how do the Digital Devil Saga games run? I've been thinking of picking them up since I never played them.

My laptop (i3 330m, 4gb ram, 5650m) is just good enough to run Persona 4 perfectly with speed hacks turned on. DDS2 however, isn't there yet and goes down to ~40 fps in towns. Since my laptop is pretty crappy, you should have no problems if you have a competent machine.

teiresias

OMG, just read about the ability to patch FFXII Zodiac with an English patch!! Anyone done this? I'm 30 hours into a second play-through of vanilla FFXII, but would turn right around and start another one if this works well. I'd need to buy a copy of Zodiac edition (Play Asia?) to do it, but would LOVE to try out that version of the game.

xero273

teiresias said:
OMG, just read about the ability to patch FFXII Zodiac with an English patch!! Anyone done this? I'm 30 hours into a second play-through of vanilla FFXII, but would turn right around and start another one if this works well. I'd need to buy a copy of Zodiac edition (Play Asia?) to do it, but would LOVE to try out that version of the game.

Yes, the patch works. I have a couple friends that played through the entire game with the patch on pcsx2.

xemumanic said:
Yeah, around the time I started the thread, such CPUs were just coming around. Now, its hard not to have a CPU that's up to snuff in a new PC.

As for the massive amount of info from the old thread, hopefully that all comes here in a more organized fashion.

It's......been a mess. They HAD such support, but it didn't work out. And actually, if I remember correctly, was actually slower. These days, CPUs are so much faster per core, that it's not so much about throwing more CPU cores at the problem. However, the GSDX plugin has made good use of quad core CPUs for a while now, via the software mode. This requires a quad core CPU.

But isn't gsdx usually better in hardware mode?

sixclaws

Banned
I tried the DDS games and Nocturne, but the movie cut-scenes don't play so I decided to just play them on my PS2. I don't know if its just those games or my laptop, because Persona 4 works fine and plays its cut-scenes fine.

Emitan

sixclaws said:
I tried the DDS games and Nocturne, but the movie cut-scenes don't play so I decided to just play them on my PS2. I don't know if its just those games or my laptop, because Persona 4 works fine and plays its cut-scenes fine.
What happens? The scenes just don't play? Does the emulation slow down?

EDIT: Also, has anyone gotten God Hand working? I'm basically using the FFXII config to test everything and God Hand is running at ~45-55 FPS for me with no AA. It's just so frustratingly close to full speed.

sixclaws

Banned
The screen just turns black and I had to manually skip the scenes. I unfortunately don't have the disc on me so I can't go into more detail and I already deleted the iso I made of it, due deciding to just play it on my PS2.

kpeezy

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Anybody got a good config for DarkCloud 2, in the town i get some massive slowdown.

I'm using the "Balanced" preset and 3X native resolution and I haven't had any problems yet. i7 920 and a Radeon 4870 512mb.

Top Bottom