• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

If Google turns up blank for save icons, you might need to open the PCSX2 Bios, save an image with all the save icons PS2 uses, crop each icon individually and then convert the image to the .ico format.

Though I'm curious, why not just use PCSX2Bonus, it's a front end that allows per game configuration and it's just a double click away to play your games.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Also I've never heard of pcsx2bonus and I like to have all my games right there on my start screen like I do with steam.

Arcadius

Banned
I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Also I've never heard of pcsx2bonus and I like to have all my games right there on my start screen like I do with steam.

I see, must be a ton of icons on your start screen =0!!

You can always try and find either a picture of a disc and use that or use the front cover for each icon instead of the save file picture that PS2 uses.

heringer

How does MGS3 runs? Is it possible to make the game run at 60 fps?

Actually, I'm not very experienced in emulation, but is it possible to make an originally 30 fps game to run at higher framerate at all?

Need to try MGS3 and see if other effects are restored too. Could be interesting.

Actually, I'm not very experienced in emulation, but is it possible to make an originally 30 fps game to run at higher framerate at all?

Not generally, no. Some emulators allow for hacks for specific games that might do that, but that's the exception. Usually the game is emulated at the speed that it runs on on the original hardware - often including slowdowns.

Xeno_V

As I don't see myself buying a decent PC anytime soon, I was thinking if it's worth to try PCSX2 on the laptop that I have from my work.

Specs:

- Intel® Core™ i3 processor i3-2310M with dual-core (2.10GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)
- 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz / PC3-10600
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 - 1 GB

Is this decent enough? As long as I can get something solid I will be happy. I tried PS2 games on my PS3 but they look terrible, so I am trying to see whether anything else would work for me.

Arcadius

Banned
As I don't see myself buying a decent PC anytime soon, I was thinking if it's worth to try PCSX2 on the laptop that I have from my work.

Specs:

- Intel® Core™ i3 processor i3-2310M with dual-core (2.10GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)

Is this decent enough? As long as I can get something solid I will be happy. I tried PS2 games on my PS3 but they look terrible, so I am trying to see whether anything else would work for me.

You're probably better off playing PS2 games on your PS3 to be honest. You can try some games, but if you're thinking about playing the popular 3D titles, I don't think you'll get an enjoyable experience.

Specs:

As Arcadius said, your PC setup is a little bit weak to play PS2 games on full speed.
I would recommend playing the games on your PS2, here is a downer though PCSX2 has still a good way to go.
Emulation isn't that perfect like for e.g. GC or Wii emulation, so you would not miss that much as of yet.

Xeno_V

Thanks guys but I made a mistake, I was looking at the specs of the previous model :D.
So it's more like:

Intel® Core™ i5-3320M (2.60GHz) processor with dual-cores
DDR3 memory controller (up to 1600MHz), Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 (3.30GHz), Hyper-Threading technology, 3MB cache

Still 8gb RAM and onboard graphics card.
Still not enough I guess?

evilalien

Thanks guys but I made a mistake, I was looking at the specs of the previous model :D.
So it's more like:

DDR3 memory controller (up to 1600MHz), Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 (3.30GHz), Hyper-Threading technology, 3MB cache

That CPU should actually be fine for most games. Some of the more demanding ones might run a bit slow. As for the GPU it should be ok as long as you aren't cranking up the resolution.

So it's more like:

The onboard gpu is really the bottleneck, though your CPU clock could be a little better. You might get a dozen or so lesser demanding games running full speed, but you'd be struggling to play stuff like Sotc or anything with a big 3d render component.

Arcadius

Banned
So it's more like:

I'll be honest, it depends on the games, what do you want to play? Things like Jak, Ratchet, MGS and games of that nature will probably not run well, but 2D games or JRPGs like Atelier Iris and the likes should work really well. FFX would probably run on it too, since my laptop can play it and has an AMD processor, which is worse.

Arcadius

Banned
So any word if they are going to be doing a DX12 plugin soon after the Win 10 launch?

Don't count on it. Creating a new GPU plugin for PCSX2 is extremely hard. It's so difficult that no one is really up to the challenge of fixing or rewriting the current GPU plugins. Gregory is currently doing GSDX things, but a lot of it is for Linux and things of that nature.

Best bet is to hope some smart DX programmer wants to spare some free time to help create a new plugin; since it requires a ton of knowledge on both DirectX programming and understanding of the PS2.

Bluenoser

Curious if my laptop will run this emulator decently.

8GB Ram
Intel Core i-7 2670QM @ 2.20 GHz
I do have on board Intel HD 3000 graphics, but I have a dedicated card as well, although not a great one.
Nvidia GeForce GT 525M

I believe I read that my CPU is actually pretty decent so I'm hoping performance wise, it will make up for the lack of punch from my GPU.

Arcadius

Banned
Curious if my laptop will run this emulator decently.

8GB Ram
Intel Core i-7 2670QM @ 2.20 GHz
I do have on board Intel HD 3000 graphics, but I have a dedicated card as well, although not a great one.
Nvidia GeForce GT 525M

I believe I read that my CPU is actually pretty decent so I'm hoping performance wise, it will make up for the lack of punch from my GPU.

It can run the emulator, hehe, but what really matters are the games you plan to play. If you list some down, I could give a quick yes no maybe to them.

Bluenoser

It can run the emulator, hehe, but what really matters are the games you plan to play. If you list some down, I could give a quick yes no maybe to them.

Sorry phrased it wrong. I've already run the emulator, but had trouble getting my controller configured so I gave up without really testing many games. FFXII international would be my first game priority. After that, not sure. Probably revisit Vice City, and maybe some old school Kingdom Hearts 1+2.

RP912

Banned
I just tried the PS2 emulator today and having a blast playing some of my ps2 games, however Tourist Trophy has some issues. When I start the game up, everything is fine until there's diagonal lines coming out of no where during the main menu. Anybody else have this issue or can this be resolved?

Sorry phrased it wrong. I've already run the emulator, but had trouble getting my controller configured so I gave up without really testing many games. FFXII international would be my first game priority. After that, not sure. Probably revisit Vice City, and maybe some old school Kingdom Hearts 1+2.

Just curious, any reason why you couldn't just get the PC version?

Vertti

If hardware mode causes so many graphical glitches would software mode + external downsampling program be an option? Would it look good? Or would it cause other problems I'm not aware of?

Athreous

Guys, I'm trying to run Valkyrie Profile 2 but the game runs so slow and the sound is horrible, freezing...

My pc specs is:

Phenom x4 965 BE 3.2h
8gb ddr 3 1666
GTX 680 2gb
Windows 7 64 bits

evilalien

Turn on the multi threaded option under speed hacks if you haven't already. You can try playing with the cycle steal options and see if that gets it to a playable level too. Other than that, VP2 is one of the most demanding games and your CPU is underpowered. There isn't going to be much you can do about this.

Athreous

Turn on the multi threaded option under speed hacks if you haven't already. You can try playing with the cycle steal options and see if that gets it to a playable level too. Other than that, VP2 is one of the most demanding games and your CPU is underpowered. There isn't going to be much you can do about this.

Yeah, my cpu is kind poor, FFXII runs great with x6 native but VP2 omg... so bad...

Shredderi

Sorry for being stupid and having to ask here, but can anybody help me to apply a widescreen patch to Fatal Frame 2? Even after enabling the hacks and putting a widescreen file in my cheats folder the 16:9 option only stretches the image instead of expanding it. I would gladly welcome any help to better experience this terrifying game :)

Robaperas

has anyone played anything since upgrading to windows 10? i dunno if it isjust me, but persona 4 seemed to be smoothet

I just tried Rogue Galaxy on Win 10 for a few minutes, and it runs at a almost locked 60fps on my FX 6300, I'm gonna try other games to see if this improvement is real, or I'm just too sleepy.

Dsyndrome

Just started configuring PCSX2 for Xenosaga Ep. 1. Got it working no issues with the latest stable build (1.2.1 5873) and decided to try my luck with the latest dev build since it has more features.

After switching, the DX 11 Hardware mode causes flickering on the pause screen that doesn't exist with 1.2.1. Switching to software makes it go away, but takes away a lot of the functionality. Switching to DX 9 makes the text on the pause menu transparent.

Anybody have any ideas what may be causing the issue? Currently running on Win 10 with a GTX 980M.

Arcadius

Banned
Sorry for being stupid and having to ask here, but can anybody help me to apply a widescreen patch to Fatal Frame 2? Even after enabling the hacks and putting a widescreen file in my cheats folder the 16:9 option only stretches the image instead of expanding it. I would gladly welcome any help to better experience this terrifying game :)

No idea if you're still here waiting for an answer or not (Just got back on NeoGAF today), but take a look and make sure the crc's for the game and the pnach are the same.

Just started configuring PCSX2 for Xenosaga Ep. 1. Got it working no issues with the latest stable build (1.2.1 5873) and decided to try my luck with the latest dev build since it has more features.

After switching, the DX 11 Hardware mode causes flickering on the pause screen that doesn't exist with 1.2.1. Switching to software makes it go away, but takes away a lot of the functionality. Switching to DX 9 makes the text on the pause menu transparent.

Anybody have any ideas what may be causing the issue? Currently running on Win 10 with a GTX 980M.

If you're trying the latest dev build, make sure you have hardware hacks enabled and CRC Hack Level is on Full for DX. Video -> Plugin Settings

I assume running 1.2.1 on Win 10 didn't have this issue at all too right?

Dsyndrome

No idea if you're still here waiting for an answer or not (Just got back on NeoGAF today), but take a look and make sure the crc's for the game and the pnach are the same.

If you're trying the latest dev build, make sure you have hardware hacks enabled and CRC Hack Level is on Full for DX. Video -> Plugin Settings

I assume running 1.2.1 on Win 10 didn't have this issue at all too right?

No issues with 1.2.1 on Win 10. For both the git build and 1.21, I have Hardware Hacks enabled along with Half Pixel Offset (fixes marionette-looking shadows), and CRC Hack Level on Full for the git build.

Arcadius

Banned
No issues with 1.2.1 on Win 10. For both the git build and 1.21, I have Hardware Hacks enabled along with Half Pixel Offset (fixes marionette-looking shadows), and CRC Hack Level on Full for the git build.

That's actually really strange. I'd honestly ask you to go the PCSX2 forum and create a post in this thread, since it deals with a lot of the GSDX upgrades lately. It could be a bug that recently occurred or something, especially since 1.2.1 works just fine. For now though, stick with 1.2.1, or at least, the GSDX plugin from 1.2.1.

Actually, have you tried OpenGL? That's where most of the GSDX upgrades and new code have been implemented in. I'd give that a try before posting in the thread linked above. OpenGL should run about as quick as DX 11 too.

Dsyndrome

That's actually really strange. I'd honestly ask you to go the PCSX2 forum and create a post in this thread, since it deals with a lot of the GSDX upgrades lately. It could be a bug that recently occurred or something, especially since 1.2.1 works just fine. For now though, stick with 1.2.1, or at least, the GSDX plugin from 1.2.1.

Actually, have you tried OpenGL? That's where most of the GSDX upgrades and new code have been implemented in. I'd give that a try before posting in the thread linked above. OpenGL should run about as quick as DX 11 too.

OpenGL fixed it, thanks! FPS went down to 50 on my rig initially, until I noticed Blending Unit Accuracy was enabled. Turned it off and voila, everything's 5x5.

What's weird is that blending unit accuracy has no FPS difference whether it's Basic or High. Both drop FPS around 10FPS. Will have to look into that further, I guess, if I ever want to use it.

Arcadius

Banned
OpenGL fixed it, thanks! FPS went down to 50 on my rig initially, until I noticed Blending Unit Accuracy was enabled. Turned it off and voila, everything's 5x5.

What's weird is that blending unit accuracy has no FPS difference whether it's Basic or High. Both drop FPS around 10FPS. Will have to look into that further, I guess, if I ever want to use it.

Glad I can help, enjoy the game!

Edit: I wouldn't have the first idea about it, I run on an old rig incapable of using OpenGL, best bet is to check that thread I linked, might be a reason there or something.

Athreous

Any pcsx2 build better for Vakyrie Profile 2?

my game keeps showing ghosts when I'm attacking with characters and the camera moves fast =/

Dsyndrome

Anybody get Suffering: Ties That Bind to work with the flash screens coming up properly? OpenGL with the latest Git has the text window as a non-transparent black box; DX11 Hardware causes 1-5 FPS for the duration, and software causes -10FPS.

Any ideas?

so i started p3 fes and during to open cinematic everytime there is movement the video looks like the every other line of pixels is slightly off. any way to fix this?

Dsyndrome

can you explain more,please?
In the GSDX section, there should be a toggle to enable HW hacks. Click on the button next to it to configure which ones you want. The one I was talking about was TC offset. From the wiki page:
TC Offset X/Y: As the description explains, these settings can help fix some misaligment issues when using scaling. You can see some example values which are known to help Persona 3, Haunting Ground and Xenosaga. You can try using the same values for your game in case it fixes it, or try your own.
So it looks like you may be in luck, find the specific offset need for P3 FES, and that might fix your issue. Might even be on that page.

i found a page with patches, one is a 480p patch and one is a progressive mode/60fps patch but for pal. would the 480p patch work or can you convert patches between regions?

also how do you use patches?

PCSX2 development baffles me. It seems no one knows how to code/improve the DX10 render, while all efforts go to code an OpenGL module that even after many years runs 150% slower than DX10 one, and will NEVER be actually usable.

Wish Fiora would optimize this instead of Dolphin ;)

PS2 is probably the console that has the most clunky emulator and it's the one I'd care for the most (well, beside PS1, but Xebra is great, outside of vibration support).

Plus all the misaligned UI graphic in hardware mode, that incidentally is the only mode that gives playable FPS.

ILoveBish

PCSX2 development baffles me. It seems no one knows how to code/improve the DX10 render, while all efforts go to code an OpenGL module that even after many years runs 150% slower than DX10 one, and will NEVER be actually usable.

Wish Fiora would optimize this instead of Dolphin ;)

PS2 is probably the console that has the most clunky emulator and it's the one I'd care for the most (well, beside PS1, but Xebra is great, outside of vibration support).

Plus all the misaligned UI graphic in hardware mode, that incidentally is the only mode that gives playable FPS.

It's bad form to dismiss all the hard work done by the pcsx2 team and just wish dolphin devs did it. Not every emulator is going to be like dolphin, and that's OK. I can appreciate all they've accomplished. And opengl works across all platforms, which makes sense why it's the most worked on.

It's bad form to dismiss all the hard work done by the pcsx2 team and just wish dolphin devs did it. Not every emulator is going to be like dolphin, and that's OK. I can appreciate all they've accomplished. And opengl works across all platforms, which makes sense why it's the most worked on.

Not my intention to dismiss, just pointing out observations.

That by the way were completely wrong. I just updated my install of pcsx2 and messed with the settings and now OpenGL is slightly FASTER (but not always) than DX10 (on Nvidia). But only with "blending unit accuracy" to "none". No idea what that setting is doing, but even at lowest setting it cuts FPS by half (that's why I said OpenGL was unusable, because it was on, and it produced the worst performance).

So, it seems that things are once again moving for PCSX2 too. And there's a new hack "Round Sprite" that seems to have fixed the ugly garbage lines on the UI too.

The only problem is that on Xenosaga either you fix UI lines, or the lines around hair. Basically one setting conflicts with the other.

ElTopo

Banned
Neo Contra always crashes. Was able to get a pop up message once.

mqGXWNX.jpg

I think it's something related to the sound.

Tried MGS2 (Substance) and in-game I was getting maybe 20FPS.

Has anyone had any luck using steam in-home streaming with PCSX2?

I'm so close to getting it working. Have got it up and running no problem but the stream on the client laptop doesn't register any of my controller inputs, PCSX2 reads the controller as being disconnected.

I'm using a Dualshock 4 with DS4Windows.

Has anyone had any luck using steam in-home streaming with PCSX2?

I'm so close to getting it working. Have got it up and running no problem but the stream on the client laptop doesn't register any of my controller inputs, PCSX2 reads the controller as being disconnected.

I'm using a Dualshock 4 with DS4Windows.
I had it working but with a 360 control.

ILoveBish

My god, going from a FX6300 that couldn't OC at all, to a Skylake i5-6600k and oc'd to 4.2ghz (still playing with it), PCSX2 is a whole new world!!! Everything works nothing needed.

Top Bottom