• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Dascu

gotee12 said:
It's all about the CPU.

I'm running an Athlon X4 3Ghz and ZoE2 runs great at native res with no AA. But what's the point of pcsx2 without making those old ps2 games look incredible!?! Lol

Keep in mind that pcsx2 runs better on intel procs and the more CPU giggerhurts you can throw at it, the better the end results. Also pcsx2 can't make use of more than one or two cores (can't remember exactly) so a quad core or better won't help the situation any.
Really? I'm on a Phenom II X4 940 @ 3Ghz per core and there's no way to get fullspeed on ZoE2. Especially during bossfights, it takes a nosedive. What revision are you? Specific settings?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SotC is running well but its quite jerky sometimes, even though PCSX2 reports it as having a good framerate (60-ish). Does it impact the emulation speed based on what I have the scaling or resolution set to (I have a 2GB 6950), or is that mainly GPU and should be ok? Running my TV at 1080p. If it'll perform better at a lower resolution, is there a way to get PCSX2 to force it when I load it up, or load an ISO up? Eg 720p

TBH a lot of the time my CPU load doesn't look like its at 100% so is it just the game?

Oddly, using Imgburn, SotC was saved as a .iso, but EDF2 was saved as a .BIN. Did the same thing for both. No idea what the difference is, and PCSX2 loads them both fine.

luca_29_bg

someone know a configuration to fix the bad shadows problem in silent hil 3 in dx11 mode ? Maybe something with skipdraw hack or something ?

gotee12

Dascu said:
Really? I'm on a Phenom II X4 940 @ 3Ghz per core and there's no way to get fullspeed on ZoE2. Especially during bossfights, it takes a nosedive. What revision are you? Specific settings?
Sorry for the late reply...

PCSX2 0.9.8

gsdx 3536m (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.16
using D3D11 hardware, no interlacing, native (ps2 resolution), no AA, allow 8 bit textures and no hacks

spu2 (but I've goofed it up with another game, again, I'd love a single config manager that would allow me to save/load individual game customizations)

disabled framelimiting in GS settings

speedhacks enabled except for no enable fast cdvd, ee cylcerate 1, vu cycle stealing 0

Haven't made it too far into the game though. It may all come crashing down in later levels (as I've read elsewhere). I haven't hunkered down into this one yet as you have to reconfigure PCSX2 for just about every game you play. I try to stick to one game at a time (currently Lego Star Wars).

Yeah I am running a i7 920, at stock rates(2.67ghz I think) and ZoE2 is a goddamn slideshow. Not really good at tweaking setting and such though. Might try again with some of the suggestions here.

Does anybody else have any problems with the emulator not being able to recognize when the Xbox 360 controller joystick is not being tilted all the way in a given direction? In a lot of games it's impossible for me to move my character at full speed. I tried calibrating the controller in Windows, but with no luck. I had the same problem earlier with another 360 controller I was using, but I ended up exchanging that controller for my current one because the issue (not being able to tilt the joystick all the way) began popping up in other games. But the controller I'm currently using works fine in other games, and I even checked the calibration screen in Dolphin, which showed that the joystick was able to move all the way in every direction. Is this a common problem with 360 controllers in general? The joystick quality in both of the controllers I've been using seemed really, really awful.

Zomba13

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah I am running a i7 920, at stock rates(2.67ghz I think) and ZoE2 is a goddamn slideshow. Not really good at tweaking setting and such though. Might try again with some of the suggestions here.

ZOE2 ran kinda shitty sometimes for me on the same processor at 3.5Ghz. I'm sure I had it smooth at one point but I couldn't get past cutscenes so I think it's a config thing.

I tried playing Suikoden 5 again after my power supply went and my system reset the processor to 2.66 and I noticed it was running worse, same config. I'm kinda scared of overclocking again as this is my third power supply (all OCZ) and I'm not sure if it's my overclocking (always stable, never running at or above any dangerous temps, everything else running fine, no over-volting). The power supplies seem to last around a year (been two years give or take since I've owned this computer). Could just be coincidence or the power supplies could be shit.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Luigi87 said:
I'm very much enjoying being able to setup the shortcuts easily with Steam by adding the game to the command line.

IE:
Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-r4600.exe" "C:\Users\USER\Documents\PCSX2\Games\GameImage"

I also made copies of the emulator's EXE so I could have custom icons for each.

L87_FF12.jpg

L87_KH2FM.jpg

Unfortunately since the DLLs point to the inis in the Documents folder, and I can't figure out how to change that, I can't save settings for each game, since for FF12, I have Native x3 with 4xMSAA, and 16:9 res, but KH2FM, Native x5 with 1xMSAA (as anything higher than 1xMSAA will cause shadow or texture errors) and 4:3 res.

Both running at 60FPS avg. on i7 920, and GTX 470 card, btw.

Man thank you for that info. I thought I was the only person that liked doing stuff like this.

Salsa

too bad they're probably gonna get deleted

since they remove all your non-steam games every client update or something

drizzle

Axel Hertz
SalsaShark said:

Wat? No they don't. All my Non-Steam shortcuts have lived through multiple Steam updates.

Luigi87

SalsaShark said:

Multiple client updates have occurred, and I haven't lost any of my shortcuts.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not the first person in the thread asking about Rogue Galaxy, but maybe someone viewing this page has found successful settings for it?

TheFatOne

Finally had the chance to try Dragon quest VIII on my new rig. This game is absolutely stunning at 4x the original resolution, and I am getting a solid 60fps as well. Can't wait to play through this game for the first time.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
nincompoop said:
Does anybody else have any problems with the emulator not being able to recognize when the Xbox 360 controller joystick is not being tilted all the way in a given direction? In a lot of games it's impossible for me to move my character at full speed. I tried calibrating the controller in Windows, but with no luck. I had the same problem earlier with another 360 controller I was using, but I ended up exchanging that controller for my current one because the issue (not being able to tilt the joystick all the way) began popping up in other games. But the controller I'm currently using works fine in other games, and I even checked the calibration screen in Dolphin, which showed that the joystick was able to move all the way in every direction. Is this a common problem with 360 controllers in general? The joystick quality in both of the controllers I've been using seemed really, really awful.

Yes, it's a bug with the most recent version. Switch the plugin to lilypad or ssspsx (whichever one doesn't have the issue, I can't remember which one does).

Dacon

Banned
So, I have an Phenom II X4 3.2, an Nvidia GeForce GTS 450, and 4 gigs of memory.

Can I run FFXII with the OP's config?

Abel

Does anyone know if pressing F9 during movies still works? Or if pressing F5 to toggle interlacing still works?

Because ever since I went to 0.9.8 I press them and they do nothing anymore :(

Do I need to turn on an option or need a plugin or something?

Edit: Never mind the question. Just had to press F Lock lol

anyone get tony hawk 3 working ok? Mine is just slow (even in the skate shop the song even slows down)

and using the OP default configs

C2D 3ghz
4 gigs ram
win 7 pro 64bit
280gtx

bummer man

Luigi87

Just beat FFXII using the emulator for the whole game with very few visual errors (only a shadow issue now and then)... I love this emulator, as I'd likely have never played this game again without it.

Teknoman

Whoo the most recent version runs SH2 great! Aside from the messed up intro FMV... DMC3 still has some strange screen effects going on.

4x scaling, excuse the aspect ratio:

icqXNU.jpg

icvMjY.jpg

icvS8w.jpg

icrcek.jpg

Sucks that Neo Contra still doesnt work right. Cant get past the stage select menu.

Remfin

SalsaShark said:

When you do non-Steam shortcut stuff you need to close/re-open the Steam client fairly soon or it tends to forget to write the changes.

Dacon

Banned
Dascu said:
Should run fine.

Ok so I set everything up, but I'm getting frame drops to the 40s when there's a lot of characters on screen, which isn't much of a problem, but the sudden drop from 60 is really jarring and throwing me off, not to mention the music slows down too. Is there any way I can improve my performance or stabilize my performance?

Luigi87

Dacon said:
Ok so I set everything up, but I'm getting frame drops to the 40s when there's a lot of characters on screen, which isn't much of a problem, but the sudden drop from 60 is really jarring and throwing me off, not to mention the music slows down too. Is there any way I can improve my performance or stabilize my performance?

Assuming you're basing on the OP's settings, consider lowing the Native resolution, and the Anti-Aliasing (IE: I played the game with no frame drops at 3x Native, 1xHardwareAA), though my machine is i7 920 oc'd @ 3.6, and GTX 470.

Angry Fork

Anybody able to get 30fps or higher for MGS2? I tried it last night but in the rain during the tanker level it went down to like 15. I don't want to tinker with settings (since it takes so long for me for some reason, getting that sweet spot) unless I know for sure it's possible to get a high fps. I know my comp is capable of it it's just a matter of whether the emulator can do it.

Dacon

Banned
Luigi87 said:
Assuming you're basing on the OP's settings, consider lowing the Native resolution, and the Anti-Aliasing (IE: I played the game with no frame drops at 3x Native, 1xHardwareAA), though my machine is i7 920 oc'd @ 3.6, and GTX 470.

Doing that doesn't help. I have the same performance with high scaling or at native resolution.

It's weird.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Angry Fork said:
Anybody able to get 30fps or higher for MGS2? I tried it last night but in the rain during the tanker level it went down to like 15. I don't want to tinker with settings (since it takes so long for me for some reason, getting that sweet spot) unless I know for sure it's possible to get a high fps. I know my comp is capable of it it's just a matter of whether the emulator can do it.

You might as well hunt down a copy of MGS2 PC for dirt cheap.

IrishNinja

if i didn't say so prior, fantastic OP. i'd really like to get back to Persona 4, but not sure if my current rig is good for it:

i5-760 @ 2.8ghz (could likely be OC'd)
ATI 6870
4 GB RAM

i know emu's are processor-heavy, so i guess i shouldn't expect it to be maxed out, but can i run it smoothly and look a bit nicer than it did on PS2? Cause if i can swing that without overclocking just yet, i think i will.

Ignignort

IrishNinja said:
if i didn't say so prior, fantastic OP. i'd really like to get back to Persona 4, but not sure if my current rig is good for it:

ATI 6870
4 GB RAM

i know emu's are processor-heavy, so i guess i shouldn't expect it to be maxed out, but can i run it smoothly and look a bit nicer than it did on PS2? Cause if i can swing that without overclocking just yet, i think i will.

You should be able to get great results with your setup!

Have a play around with the texture scaling and things like that and see what you can get out of it, but you'll be able to upscale and making it look much nicer for sure!

Dascu

IrishNinja said:

ATI 6870
4 GB RAM

Persona 4 isn't that demanding. It should run nicely on that rig. Maaaybe some slight framedrops when there's a lot of enemies on screen, but nothing that should be bothersome.

IrishNinja

awesome to hear! thanks guys. was debating giving Godhand a proper go, but i think i'll just make do on the PS3 (BC). so glad i can take ICO/SotC off the list here as well, they looked difficult.

ps didnt see one in the OP, so if anyone's got a settings guide for P4, lemme know!

Ledsen

IrishNinja said:

ATI 6870
4 GB RAM

With speedhacks on, it runs flawlessly on my laptop with i3 330m @ 2.13 Ghz. Default rez though (1024x1024 I think) and no scaling.

Can anybody help me? I've downloaded the newest version, 0.9.8, and it won't accept the existing settings of 0.9.7. Is there any way to copy my settings over without manually reconfiguring it? Maybe it can't find the path with the configuration...?

Edit: More to the point - are save states from 0.9.7 compatible with 0.9.8?

IrishNinja said:

ATI 6870
4 GB RAM

You'll run it perfectly. I beat the game on an un-overclocked Q6600 and 8800 Ultra rendered at 1680x1050, with smooth 60fps, bar some frame-drops to 50fps during some bosses and at Junes when there were lots of people in the food court.

Angry Fork said:
PC Version of MGS2 is what you need.

edit: beaten

aett

First of all, this thread is great, and FFXII: IZJS runs great on my laptop.

Has anyone tried Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter? The graphics look nice and I can get it to run at roughly 60fps, but the screen is always shaking/vibrating strangely and it hurts my eyes. Wild Arms 3 does this for me, as well. Any suggestions?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
aett said:
First of all, this thread is great, and FFXII: IZJS runs great on my laptop.

Has anyone tried Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter? The graphics look nice and I can get it to run at roughly 60fps, but the screen is always shaking/vibrating strangely and it hurts my eyes. Wild Arms 3 does this for me, as well. Any suggestions?
Have you tried cycling through interlacing modes with F5 while in game?

Can you manually force progressive scan mode by holding X and triangle on booting up the game?

DeVeAn

I got DQ8 running at 55-60 fps with not issues about an hour in. Is there any was to turn on AA? the Text is also blurry as fuck.

I guess its only a software option.

aett

ExMachina said:
Have you tried cycling through interlacing modes with F5 while in game?

Can you manually force progressive scan mode by holding X and triangle on booting up the game?

One of the interlacing modes did the trick. Thank you!

On another note, my computer seems to only be able to run DQ8 at 60fps if I use the native resolution without scaling. It looks pretty lame, but it runs perfectly otherwise. Ah, well!

DeVeAn

Why does 4x scaling look better than custom 1080? If my monitor can only go up to 1080 then its not possible for it to be at a higher res? I am a newb to this emulation stuff.

Durante

DeVeAn said:
Why does 4x scaling look better than custom 1080? If my monitor can only go up to 1080 then its not possible for it to be at a higher res? I am a newb to this emulation stuff.
It is rendering at a higher resolution than 1080p and then downscaling. That's similar in effect to ordered grid supersampling.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Im tempted to emulate MGS 3 on my pc , due to the new trailer of the 3ds version ( :( )

this is my rig

i5@3.4
GTX 460 oc
8 gigs RAM

can I run it at decent fps? also where I can get a nice config for it?

New rig that I'm putting together next week.

i5 2500k (bought a cooler for this, it'll overclock to at least 4 Ghz if not 4.5+)
560 TI (factory OCed)
8 GB 1600 RAM

I've only played one game on PS2 ever: The Adventures of Cookie and Cream... therefore, GAF, can you suggest me 5 must-play PS2 games that I've missed that work with PCSX2? Going to snag them on Amazon asap so they'll be ready to be played when my rig is built.

Looking forward to setting tweaking to get some optimal performance on these games... I feel like that'll be part of the fun.

ChryZ

The Dragon's Crown hype roped me back into:

Odin Sphere

- PCSX2 0.9.8 R4600, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715Mhz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced
- GSdx 4600 SSE41: D3D11, 4x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, Offset Hack, rest default
- SPU2-X all default

odin_sphere_panorama_81dpu.jpg

Top Bottom