• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 production has finally come to an end [Up: Not official yet!]

Wow what a run.
Weird that it was the console that I felt least connected to. I've owned just about every major console released including the PS2 but I never really gave it much attention. Now Ico and SotC were the shit.

FreeMufasa

Damn..... I wanted it to last until next gen. Imagine that, PS2 fucked up GC/DC/Xbox, kicked Wii/PS3/360 in the balls and was ready to tango with the WiiU.

Guess ill get a sealed one soon. Im still on my fat from 2003.

Also I recommend people get a hard drive and install their PS2 games there. It's amazing.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, I think they're just going to stop shipments to Japan. As a few have said, PS2 still moves good numbers in developing markets. No point in discontinuing it unless the costs associated have risen due to obsolete parts or something.

Celegus

It's because the best game on PS2 is finally on another system, so there's no real reason to keep it around now.

Every day is great at your Junes!

Erasus

I fondly remember the PS2.

Amazing games like MGS2 & 3, ICO, Black, Ratchet & Clank (the first 3), God Of War
(2 is jaw dropping how the fuck did they make it),
FFX and FFXII (I have not played many FF games, but FFXII is still my fav. I want zodiac job edition in 1080p ;_; I can run the regular in 1080p though...),
ZoE2, Okami, Gran Turismo, DMC3

I could go on and on
Oh and its a great DVD player. Only downside is memory cards and bad online. Build quality was top notch in my experience

Nobody sells new ones here in Sweden, I wanna pick one up now....

Izick

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

Hard to believe they'd discontinue it so quickly. Awesome system though...bought more games for it than any other.

EDIT: Oh so it's not confirmed then, cool. I should buy me a replacement.

Not confirmed, wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't true given that it seems like less affluent markets in developing countries still buy PS2s.

Mitsurux

If true....

End of an ERA.... it had a great run, and holds a defining role in the history of the industry.

geebee

Banned
Such an amazing library of games. The Japanese Midnight Blue PS2 is still my favorite console. I wish PS3 had a similar color..

so all PS2 titles are going to be digital with in a week or so on psn store?
EDIT: than SONY can announce the intill death do us part PS2 clasic collection or smth

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Greatest gaming console of all time. And my personal favorite tech ever invented.

Goodnight sweet prince. We had our time together and it was fucking glorious.

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

JaxJag

Banned
I never could get into the PS2. The online network was just so far behind the PC, Xbox, and even the Dreamcast.

Bgamer90

Banned
I never could get into the PS2. The online network was just so far behind the PC, Xbox, and even the Dreamcast.

In many ways true, but if you loved EA sports games at the time, you had to get a PS2 for online.

PS2 is my second favorite console of all time (SNES is #1 for me).

Top Bottom