• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 40GB Euro Doggystyle Edition™ OFFICIAL!

On a quality and features level, it has no business being priced on a similar level to the PS3.
PS2 was for most part the same price as the Xbox last gen, yet no one complained because it had more games. So i guess hardware/software balance each other out the PS3 may have better hardware but the 360 has more games.

Walshicus

Maxwell House said:
The Pricedrop will help PS3 in Europe, but we know MS will drop their price as well in reaction. To say Sony has Europe locked up is ridiculous, IMO.
How much does the 360 sell for in the US right now? $350 for the premium right? I'm sure Microsoft could afford to sell a premium for £200 in the UK right now, or €300 for the €urozone. Core/Arcades? Much less still. There's an awful lot of leeway price-wise for them in the EU now, due to the exchange rate being what it is - and unlikely to change much in favour of the Dollar.

numble

devilscallmedad said:
PS2 was for most part the same price as the Xbox last gen, yet no one complained because it had more games. So i guess hardware/software balance each other out the PS3 may have better hardware but the 360 has more games.

I like my PS3, but I have to point out the flaw in this logic: What was the hardware quality balance between PS2/Xbox last gen?

numble said:
I like my PS3, but I have to point out the flaw in this logic: What was the hardware quality balance between PS2/Xbox last gen?
Huge actually, the Xbox was way more powerful infact Xbox games looked better than PS2 from day 1, bulit in hardrive, network adapter, Live service. All at the same exact price as PS2.

Ashhong

devilscallmedad said:
Huge actually, the Xbox was way more powerful infact Xbox games looked better than PS2 from day 1, bulit in hardrive, network adapter, Live service. All at the same exact price as PS2.

Ah but thats because the PS2 wasn't expensive. It's a different situation now. Theres no denying that features wise, the 360/PS3 fight has a much bigger difference between them than PS2/Xbox

NIghtWolf

Maxwell House said:
360 has a 2 million unit lead on PS3 in Europe and is reportedly outselling the PS3 month to month in Europe right now. The gap between them in Europe is growing, not shrinking.

The Pricedrop will help PS3 in Europe, but we know MS will drop their price as well in reaction. To say Sony has Europe locked up is ridiculous, IMO.

MS should be careful droping prices in Europe, if they do so they should know that theres no way back, and nothing can guarantees them that their 360 sales would have a major long lasting effect independent or over their competence. A €200 drop in Europe for the ps3 can be huge even having MS droping their 360 later ( and I mean it, a €200 drop could mean an "I catch you and I pass you" right away). Remember that sony has a huge installed base there and believe me, 360 can't catch them all. I can't be too positive about sales though looking at the library in this moment, well... both ps3 and 360 got PES08.

Jacobi

Banned
Ashhong said:
Ah but thats because the PS2 wasn't expensive. It's a different situation now. Theres no denying that features wise, the 360/PS3 fight has a much bigger difference between them than PS2/Xbox
The PS2 cost 430€ at launch, that was expensive... at that time... at least we thought that's pretty much for a games console :lol :lol :lol

Ashhong

Jacobi said:
The PS2 cost 430€ at launch, that was expensive... at that time... at least we thought that's pretty much for a games console :lol :lol :lol

I meant when the Xbox came out a year later. At least in america, it was what...250? I cant remember. And wasnt the Xbox always like 50 more than PS2?

Raziel

devilscallmedad said:
It looks like MS owes me 1 Live service.

Rolf NB

Jacobi said:
It's pretty funny AND sad that we're waiting for a price drop on 400$/€
We aren't. We're waiting for a revised model to come out.
400 is just one soft sticky ball of speculation.

Ashhong said:
I meant when the Xbox came out a year later. At least in america, it was what...250? I cant remember. And wasnt the Xbox always like 50 more than PS2?

Xbox was launched at 480€ here, if I remember well. Microsoft lasted 1 month to lower the price 200€ and give a free controller and two games to the early adopters, since they basically sold about five or six systems in the whole europe :lol

I didn't know in america the price was right since the beggining.

Wollan

I'm seeing some sites reporting on lower power usage and such just now (Sp*ng). Anyways, the original threads:

July 25th:
Microsoft has heard something and makes bet with N'Gai:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174299&highlight=n'gai

September 9th:

Mole reporting (to Arstechnica) of 399$ PS3, 99$ PS2, Spiderman BD pack in:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188922&highlight=n'gai

September 14th:

Pachter betting a 40GB is released soonish:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190155

September 14th:
New manufacturer revealed and FCC filing discovered (by the simexchange.com):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190131&page=3

gcubed

spwolf said:
$400/€400 is such an crazy price, ppl might get dissapointed with smaller drop...

in all seriousness, dropping Euro down to 399E and US down to $399 will make this generation a LOT more interesting. They will pretty much own euroland but I still dont think they have the qty of great games to pull off anything this christmas in NA (although they do have several really good ones), but the price and the games it will have will keep it from getting absolutely blown out of the water this year.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
gcubed said:
in all seriousness, dropping Euro down to 399E and US down to $399 will make this generation a LOT more interesting. They will pretty much own euroland but I still dont think they have the qty of great games to pull off anything this christmas in NA (although they do have several really good ones), but the price and the games it will have will keep it from getting absolutely blown out of the water this year.

but Ps3 have 3 good weapons, this christmas:

- the name playstation
- brd
- more game

and now a good price

Kosma

Banned
My god Sony my money is waiting to be spent, you were supposed to drop the price today in Europe. Announce it you tards!

please

200 EUR would be an aggravatingly big price drop for early adopters. I hope it comes with an 100 EUR credit at the Apple store for them.

spwolf

gcubed said:

I dont know, I think combination of exclusives and 3rd party games is pretty enticing... Ratchet, Uncharted, Singstar, Eyetoy, Haze, Unreal Tournament 3, GT5:p should all be pretty good games for their audiences and of course, thats the biggest 1st party lineup for xmass season, isnt it?... And then you have all the 3rd party games and movies on BD which will be pushed heavily by studios like Disney.

I think UT3 will be huge, especially since Epic has proven themselves on consoles with Gears.

spwolf

Worm_Buffet said:
200 EUR would be an aggravatingly big price drop for early adopters. I hope it comes with an 100 EUR credit at the Apple store for them.

sure... if they did it in april :lol

FORD

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
If a $399 PS3 launches before they sell most existing 60GB/80GB stock, how will they clear out the old inventory? The channel in North America is pretty packed.

Same issue with shipping the Shockaxis and why we won't get it until Spring, they need to hold off and sell existing system stock first.

Don't they use them for dedicated servers, such as Warhawk? I remember there where hundreds of 20GB PS3 being used.

MakMan

So nothing announced on the price-cut?

Although today Sony Europe did offically start with the "free PS3 with a Full HD LCD"-deal...

FORD said:
Don't they use them for dedicated servers, such as Warhawk? I remember there where hundreds of 20GB PS3 being used.

There might be a need for thousands of dedicated servers, but we're talking hundreds of thousands of pre-$399 machines in the channel.

It will be very interesting if they put out a $399 machine and then price the remaining machines at, say $449 clearance price for the 60GB and $499 for the 80GB. I know I sure as hell wouldn't even consider the 80GB, even after the 60GB machines are gone, but maybe some people will?

Frankly, if the new machines really have improvements made to the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, old machines start to look pretty 'tard' from here on out. Even if the 60GB does have hardware b/c.

inner-G

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Frankly, if the new machines really have improvements made to the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, old machines start to look pretty 'tard' from here on out. Even if the 60GB does have hardware b/c.

I have a 60GB and haven't had problems with the wi-fi or bluetooth.

Hardware b/c is very, very important to me. I still play PS1/2 games all the time.

Walshicus

gcubed said:

Keep dreaming... seriously. I don't do ban bets because they're fucking stupid, but this scenario would be so at odds with the reality I know.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Sir Fragula said:
Keep dreaming... seriously. I don't do ban bets because they're fucking stupid, but this scenario would be so at odds with the reality I know.

Euro is sonyland.

MakMan

Every land = Nintendoland nowadays

But besides the big N, every land in Europe (except the US-copy called UK) is still Sony-land consolewise

gcubed

Sir Fragula said:
:lol
Sure, if we discount Nintendo.

sure, i didnt count nintendo, thats a given, and i dont neccessarily think a nintendo sale is a MS or Sony lost sale, so it doesnt really matter.

But Busty beat me to it... i'll just continue his fix of your post since i quoted it also

Walshicus

deathkiller said:
You can count with RATATOUILLE (PS2) outselling Bioshock (360) in Spain witch didn't even enter in the monthly top 10.

http://www.adese.es/web/top.asp

Um, exactly? The last time the PS3 had a top ten in Espana was in April, when Resistance was placed at number 5 and F1 championship was placed at number 10. Given that a lot of those sales would have been within the launch month window of the system...

Besides, since when has Espana EVER been a good barometer for the whole of the EU in ANYTHING?

[Edit: Why did my autospell put an "i" in Espana...]

spwolf

Sir Fragula said:
Um, exactly? The last time the PS3 had a top ten in Espana was in April, when Resistance was placed at number 5 and F1 championship was placed at number 10. Given that a lot of those sales would have been within the launch month window of the system...

Besides, since when has Espana EVER been a good barometer for the whole of the EU in ANYTHING?

Actually Spain had HS as top 1 last week :lol

Sir Fragula said:

I think that "no Xbox 360 game has ever been seen in the monthly top10" is not a good sign for the Xbox 360 in Spain. The PS2 is still outselling the Xbox 360 by a lot in most of Europe and the PS3 is selling at a better rate than the Xbox 360 did the last year so it have a chance of outselling it in the 2007 sales (but not in LTD) with a good price drop.

Europe is the biggest Sony "Land" while the Xbox 360 like its processor is only managing to reach about the half of it's USA sales.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tiduz said:
Euro will be sonyland.

double fixed.

The reason I say this is think about it... there hasn't even been a big price drop over there correct? I mean they have those starter packs that's it. Ps3 has been outselling the 360 somewhat over there, at it's already rediculous price, if it had a huge drop like this rumor claims, how much do you think it'll outsell it then at a more reasonable price? You have to remember also 199 euro is a lot more than 199$

Walshicus

deathkiller said:
I think that "no Xbox 360 game has ever been seen in the monthly top10" is not a good sign for the Xbox 360 in Spain. The PS2 is still outselling the Xbox 360 by a lot in most of Europe and the PS3 is selling at a better rate than the Xbox 360 did the last year so it have a chance of outselling it in the 2007 sales (but not in LTD) with a good price drop.

Yes, but Espana is a state of what, 45 million people? Compared to an EU population of 500million. We know the 360 is trouncing the PS3 in weekly sales in the UK [where current gen systems regularly get top ten spots] and we assume that the PS3 is probably doing a lot better than the 360 in Espana [where current gen games don't often get top ten spots]. Two extremes. But that still leaves 25 states unaccounted for. If people have some hard data on the matter to stop this being speculation and make it fact, then I'd love to see it is all...

Top Bottom