• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 40GB Euro Doggystyle Edition™ OFFICIAL!

MaX_PL

Banned
well well, if ps3 gets another price drop this year we can expect another price drop from microsoft as well. cant wait to see how consumers will react.

and if this happens, surely we cant expect sony to drop again in spring when the games come out.

lupinko

Chiggs said:
Good point. Lets say I end up with a 40GB version. Couldn't I just use a USB flash drive to do that?

I do the same too when transferring avc/mp4 videos from my computers (if too big then external is the way to go), but there's nothing wrong with the card readers, I mean, all Sony is doing is giving people options. Some may not use it, but others will find use for them.

MaX_PL said:
well well, if ps3 gets another price drop this year we can expect another price drop from microsoft as well. cant wait to see how consumers will react.

and if this happens, surely we cant expect sony to drop again in spring when the games come out.

Sucks to even consider the thought that Sony might be able to approach Microsoft even at a price level, doesn't it? I can almost hear you squirm over this.

MaX_PL

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Sucks to even consider the thought that Sony might be able to approach Microsoft even at a price level, doesn't it? I can almost hear you squirm over this.

wow honestly how old are you? i could give a fuck about console wars anymore buddy. keep up with the smartass remarks.

AltogetherAndrews said:

If all of a sudden, the 360 starts selling like the Xbox, and the PS3 like the PS2, it will still take Sony two to four more years to tie the 360 in North America. That's enough of a shift to guarantee that this generation ends up nothing like the last. Developer support has already guaranteed that this isn't like the last gen. I could give two shits whether Sony outsells Microsoft or vice-versa, I just don't want to see either dominate.

All I ever wanted was a three-way split. 33% each for all three players. Unfortunately, Wii has guaranteed that we can't get that ideal outcome.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
If all of a sudden, the 360 starts selling like the Xbox, and the PS3 like the PS2, it will still take Sony two to four more years to tie the 360 in North America. That's enough of a shift to guarantee that this generation ends up nothing like the last. Developer support has already guaranteed that this isn't like the last gen.

All I ever wanted was a three-way split. 33% each for all three players. Unfortunately, Wii has guaranteed that we can't get that ideal outcome.

Oh this generation for sure won't be a repeat of last generation. That ship sailed a long time ago. But if the rumors of a new, low priced SKU for EU is true, then that territory is a lock for Sony, and a similar pricing model for the US will ensure that the systems remains squarely in the competition. And really, I would hope MS lowers its prices accordingly. On a quality and features level, it has no business being priced on a similar level to the PS3.

Odysseus

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

yeah, darn the wii for winning. darn them right to heck.

Afrikan

Chiggs said:
If that's the case, I *might* go for a 60GB. If not, I'll be plenty happy with the 40GB. Does anyone here actually use the card readers?

At first I didn't think I was going to use it that much.....but man I use it alot........

it also accepts miniSD..... Its convenient for me to transfer files (pics, movies) between my phone and the system........

I'm sure you can get a usb based Card reader ($10)....but it would be hanging around and stuff....if you care about things like that.......

Odysseus said:
yeah, darn the wii for winning. darn them right to heck.

Wii isn't winning anything. Wii is, as predicted, operating its own market. Very successfully, but it will have little long term effect on the other two players, least of all when the pricing schemes for those other two become somewhat more realistic for the budget sensitive gamer. If these rumors are true, big if there, it'd show that Sony has adapted, which is a good thing for everyone. Which as said before is reason enough to assume that it's not true.

Walshicus

spwolf said:
depending on who you think of as competition... it will easily outsell 360, Europe wide...
I doubt that. Not this year. Where does this "Europe LOVES Sony" stuff come from anyway? I know we English are somewhat more willing to embrace the 360 than other regions, but I've not heard of any love for the PS3 from a few Breton and Catalonian guys I know.

Are there any definitive sales figures which demonstrate otherwise? I know about how the 360 and PS3 are quite close together for the year to date sales in one place - can't remember if it was England, Scotland and Wales or all of Europe - but didn't those show most PS3 sales were confined to the launch period, and were abysmal now?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sir Fragula said:
I doubt that. Not this year. Where does this "Europe LOVES Sony" stuff come from anyway? I know we English are somewhat more willing to embrace the 360 than other regions, but I've not heard of any love for the PS3 from a few Breton and Catalonian guys I know.

Are there any definitive sales figures which demonstrate otherwise? I know about how the 360 and PS3 are quite close together for the year to date sales in one place - can't remember if it was England, Scotland and Wales or all of Europe - but didn't those show most PS3 sales were confined to the launch period, and were abysmal now?

Heh.

USA = The World.

Britain = Europe.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Sir Fragula said:

Sony fans love to say that the PS3 owns Europe but have no evidence that it does.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Shepherd said:
Sony fans love to say that the PS3 owns Europe but have no evidence that it does.

I believe the PS3 is doing well in Spain. Other countries...I'm not so sure of.

Walshicus

I've heard it so many times but I've honestly not come across the figures. I'd just like to see where this assumption [or factually correct belief] originates.

ZeoVGM

Banned
tanod said:
Last time I checked, the PS2 was still ahead of the Wii.

... Uh, yeah. And PS1 was winning when DC game out.

And NES was winning with Genesis came out.

You may have just dropped the lamest arguement ever.

NIghtWolf

MaX_PL said:

yes but not this year :(

Shepherd said:

Where?

Theres a possibility in Europe for the ps3 if sony makes the right moves (droping the price its just part of it). Actually PS3 have chances everywhere, but they need to work on it, remember theres no third place in this generation and second its not always bad. Not even for sony if they could take advantage of it.

gkryhewy

NIghtWolf said:
yes but not this year :(

It's not out of the question - it was rumored before the last round of 360 drops that they might drop again before Xmas. Intermediate drops allow them to cash in more on Halo. It'll probably depend on what Sony does.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
360 sales are strong, I don't see a price drop any time soon. Maybe if by some miracle PS3 starts selling 2:1 over 360, then I can see it, but I find it unlikely until there exist real evidence that the PS3 is "pulling away." The library for PS3 won't even be worth having for many people until GTA and MGS4 hit early next year.

duk

Banned
So in just a year, PS3 may drop $200! Good stuff for the consumer. Bad stuff for the early adopter (but that's what being an early adopter is about)

NIghtWolf

gkrykewy said:
It's not out of the question - it was rumored before the last round of 360 drops that they might drop again before Xmas. Intermediate drops allow them to cash in more on Halo. It'll probably depend on what Sony does.

Well I doubt it, M$ right now is in the best position they could be with Halo 3 release, in this moment they can sell anything if its related to Halo 3 so if someone doens't buy a xbox 360 now, I believe its because they are not interested more than just feeling restricted about the price. Thats my opinion.

I doubt sony price drop will affect M$ in this moment and I doubt M$ will drop again because im sure that is not going to stop the people who want a ps3 actually buying it for $400 this xmas.

duk said:
So in just a year, PS3 may drop $200! Good stuff for the consumer. Bad stuff for the early adopter (but that's what being an early adopter is about)

Well, it depends on your point of view, many of those customers payed for a ps3 to see movies on it, I don't think they will regret had payed $600 vs $1000+. Also, what is your perception about years? because to me a year can be definitive to the life of a console. I don't think any company will start thinking about the early customers when they do the things they need 2doto survive some more years. I'm not discriminating alright, that early customer politic is in everything and you know it,
ask Apple

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
NIghtWolf said:
Well I doubt it, M$ right now is in the best position they could be with Halo 3 release, in this moment they can sell anything if its related to Halo 3 so if someone doens't buy a xbox 360 now, I believe its because they are not interested more than just feeling restricted about the price. Thats my opinion.

I doubt sony price drop will affect M$ in this moment and I doubt M$ will drop again because im sure that is not going to stop the people who want a ps3 actually buying it for $400 this xmas.

Party like it's nineteen-ninety-nine...

angelfly

duk said:

Unless they do what Apple did with iPhone and offer early adopters a gift (i.e free game, free psn download, etc).

Kosma

Banned
angelfly said:
Unless they do what Apple did with iPhone and offer early adopters a gift (i.e free game, free psn download, etc).

That's what Sega did to early Saturn adopters....sigh. And MS to early Xbox adopters in Europe.

NIghtWolf

reilo said:
Party like it's nineteen-ninety-nine...

Me don't get your complicated jokes :(

Seriously Its a joke? well if its about my grammar you can feel free to blame on it I know.

Edit: Wait a second! ohh its about the M$ :O what M$ means? I am not familiarized with english forums in spanish forums they use M$ for Microsoft so I though it was the same in english forums.

Kosma

Banned
NIghtWolf said:
Me don't get your complicated jokes :(

t_190.gif

=

PrinceLive_290404.jpg

+

jesus.dinosaur.jpg

NIghtWolf said:
Edit: Wait a second! ohh its about the M$ :O what M$ means? I am not familiarized with english forums in spanish forums they use M$ for Microsoft so I though it was the same in english forums.

You're close. My post contains clues to unravel this mystery.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Heh, "M$" is appropriate despite peoples sensitivities. ;)

(Don't get me started and let's try to stay on topic!)

NIghtWolf

oo Kosma oo said:
You're close. My post contains clues to unravel this mystery.

your post have mystery indeed you have edited like 5 times in 30 seconds, every time I'm going to quote I see another thing.

Still don't get it but ok I will put MS from now on, by the way that guy its not prince is it?

Heh, "M$" is appropriate despite peoples sensitivities.

That explain the prince pic huh lol nice but no like me.

oo Kosma oo said:
:lol I edited it AGAIN. Now it's right though.

The joke is: You use M$ for Microsoft, which was cool, in 1999, like the Prince song, but as it's 2007 it's older then jesus now. It's an old meme (cool thing to say) and GAF hates old memes .

:O , I didn't know prince was cool the first time I see him in a video was one week ago lol. Thank you.

Kosma

Banned
NIghtWolf said:
your post have mystery indeed you have edited like 5 times in 30 seconds, every time I'm going to quote I see another thing.

Still don't get it but ok I will put MS from now on, by the way that guy its not prince is it?

:lol I edited it AGAIN. Now it's right though.

The joke is: You used M$ for Microsoft, which was cool, in 1999, like the Prince song, but as it's 2007 it's older then Jesus now (not cool anymore).

It's an old meme (cool thing to say) and GAF hates old memes .

spwolf

Sir Fragula said:

well from sales actually... Sony has always sold a lot better in Europe than MS... For instance PS2 sold same amounts in Europe as in US, while MS sold 50% less.

Or for PS3, in UK market (where 360 is the strongest), Sony currently has same sales as 360 for full 2007, despite 425 GBP pricing.

What will happen when Sony slashes prices by 35% in Europe? :lol

Kosma

Banned
spwolf said:
well from sales actually... Sony has always sold a lot better in Europe than MS... For instance PS2 sold same amounts in Europe as in US, while MS sold 50% less.

And if those numbers out of Japan (that summit or something) are right MS is doing the same with the 360 now in Europe (50% of the US), although in total volume I'm sure the 360 will be more succesfull then the old xbox here.

In the end I don't really care, but the speculating is damn fun.

mepaco

spwolf said:

Or for PS3, in UK market (where 360 is the strongest), Sony currently has same sales as 360 for full 2007, despite 425 GBP pricing.

What will happen when Sony slashes prices by 35% in Europe? :lol

That time frame also includes the PS3 launch which accounts for over half of its sales. The 360 has been outselling it on a month by month basis.

duk said:
Well, some people will argue they just dropped the price $100.

And just for the record the $399 price tag is still just a rumour and yeah being an early adopter generally sucks major ass.

spwolf

mepaco said:
That time frame also includes the PS3 launch which accounts for over half of its sales. The 360 has been outselling it on a month by month basis.

and it includes 3 months where PS3 didnt sell at all... :D

mepaco

spwolf said:
and it includes 3 months where PS3 didnt sell at all... :D

That is really a sorry excuse. Barring supply problems, the launch of a console will be much higher than any normal 3 months of sales. It still doesn't change the fact that it is getting outsold month by month.

spwolf

mepaco said:
That is really a sorry excuse. Barring supply problems, the launch of a console will be much higher than any normal 3 months of sales. It still doesn't change the fact that it is getting outsold month by month.

who is making excuses? PS3 is selling same as 360 in biggest market for 360 in the Europe, for complete year, even if it was launched at the end of March and is priced considerably more.

Why exactly do we need excuses?

And you are doubting it will sell more than 360 Europe-wide if it gets €200 drop? :lol

mepaco said:
Yeah, you ould probably keep arguing about that, but the price delta between those two consoles is pretty significant at present, the 360 is dirt cheap compared to the PS3, it probably helps a bunch.

The 360 has sold through two holidays here and has a decent user base. It will be interesting to see what price Sony has in mind for Sonys first holiday sales in PAL-land.

tanod

when is my burrito
duk said:

For anybody who has ever bought anything electronic, they know that shit comes down in price after it is released in about 3/6 months. The TV I bought a year and a half ago is $1000 less now. Did I get screwed? No, because I got to have the TV for that year and a half.

What do I care? I buy things because I thought it was worth the money at the time. I don't continually analyze and agonize over the value of my purchases after I've made them. Doing so would be a waste of time, completely pointless and make a person sound like a whiny child.

mepaco

spwolf said:
who is making excuses? PS3 is selling same as 360 in biggest market for 360 in the Europe, for complete year, even if it was launched at the end of March and is priced considerably more.

Why exactly do we need excuses?

And you are doubting it will sell more than 360 Europe-wide if it gets €200 drop? :lol

painful fart said:
Yeah, you ould probably keep arguing about that, but the price delta between those two consoles is pretty significant at present, the 360 is dirt cheap compared to the PS3, it probably helps a bunch.

The 360 has sold through two holidays here and has a decent user base. It will be interesting to see what price Sony has in mind for Sonys first holiday sales in PAL-land.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. The price drop will help a lot and will definitely boost sales. Combined with some better releases it might be enough for them to eventually take the lead again in Europe, but right now the 360 is selling more per month and has a good head start. I also think the 360 has a more potent holiday lineup but I'm not sure who will sell more and I'm not really into making predictions. I just don't think the characterization of Europe as Sonyland and the assumption by many that the PS3 is selling better than the 360 is accurate based on what we know.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Oh this generation for sure won't be a repeat of last generation. That ship sailed a long time ago. But if the rumors of a new, low priced SKU for EU is true, then that territory is a lock for Sony, and a similar pricing model for the US will ensure that the systems remains squarely in the competition. And really, I would hope MS lowers its prices accordingly. On a quality and features level, it has no business being priced on a similar level to the PS3.
360 has a 2 million unit lead on PS3 in Europe and is reportedly outselling the PS3 month to month in Europe right now. The gap between them in Europe is growing, not shrinking.

The Pricedrop will help PS3 in Europe, but we know MS will drop their price as well in reaction. To say Sony has Europe locked up is ridiculous, IMO.

Top Bottom