• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 40GB Euro Doggystyle Edition™ OFFICIAL!

marwan

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Argh I'm so torn....should I:

-Get a PS3 tommorow for 444 euro with 2 pads and no games
or
-Wait for 100 euro price drop bundle and with my store discount get a PS3 with a game for 436 euro? (But I'll have to wait for a 100 euro price drop...it must happen right...right?)

i dont understand the stupidity behind packing 2 controllers, specially when the dual shock 3 is coming and 99% of people would throw away their SUXAXIS controller and get the Dual Shock 3 instead....at least i know i will.

Elios83 said:
Update number two now with official PR from SCE-Italy:

PS3 bundles announced today:

PS3+ Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
PS3+ Spiderman 3 BR
PS3+ Pirates of the Caribbean: At the World's End BR

Price TBA

PS2:
Gamer's Pack (PS2+memory card+Tekken5) and Starter Pack (PS2+ memory card+ 2 controllers)
149€

PSP:
PSP Slim&Lite + Harry Potter and the order of Phoenix
PSPSlim&Lite Spiderman Edition (red&black)+ Spiderman3 = 189€
PSPSlim&Lite Piano Black+ Tekken 5 DR or MotoGP= 179€

Ok. I can say that for France :

Fair priced offer launching on october 10th (40GB - 400 € ?), will be announced by SCEE on next monday
Two bundles (one with Spiderman 3 BRD and another one with PES2008) are scheduled for November.
The two Starter Packs will see their prices cut.

Also, bad news concerning the games : although this isn't definite, Time Crisis 4 + Guncon currently sells for 90 € and Eye of Judgment (with Eyetoys and cards...) sells for 100 € !

The_lascar said:

Fair priced offer launching on october 10th (40GB - 400 € ?), will be announced by SCEE on next monday
Two bundles (one with Spiderman 3 BRD and another one with PES2008) are scheduled for November.

Also, bad news concerning the games : although this isn't definite, Time Crisis 4 + Guncon currently sells for 90 € and Eye of Judgment (with Eyetoys and cards...) sells for 100 € !

Wait, how do you know this?

Ok... I didn't want to say this (because I haven't 100% confirmation) but I have the same information for Spain. Announcement next week, new PS3s : 400-449 euros (packs) - middle of october

Robinspain said:
Ok... I didn't want to say this (because I haven't 100% confirmation) but I have the same information for Spàin. Announcmetne next week, new PS3s for 400-449 euros (packs) for middle of october

That's pretty good, isn't it?

Kosma

Banned
The_lascar said:

Dude I hope you are not shitting us here. You know something bout the Netherlands?

spwolf

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's pretty good, isn't it?

so 60 GB goes to 500 Euro on Monday and packs for 400 in early october with cheap version?

Makes sense, as PES and FIFA are coming out now in Europe, people will buy new systems, at right price, for those games...

Ppl in US dont understand how big football is here - I got my ps2 because of PES. That and GT4 are only games I gave more than 1 hour on it... My brother has probably played thousand hours of PES over the years, never played any other game in his life (FM too of course).

Check freakin Amazon - UK. 1. Halo, 2. Fifa PS2, 3.Fifa PS3.... DE 1.Fifa PS2, 2. Fifa PS3...

For us Europeans, holiday sales starts with arrival of football games. If Sony does mean to fight for this holidays in Europe, this is when it starts...

[Nintex]

Holy shit this is Dreamcast $99,99 all over again. Sony has no choice but to drop the price with all these rumors floating around. People are going to wait untill the price hits $399, even though it might not actually happen before spring.

spwolf

[Nintex] said:
Holy shit this is Dreamcast $99,99 all over again. Sony has no choice but to drop the price with all these rumors floating around. People are going to wait untill the price hits $399, even though it might not actually happen before spring.

it is an HUGE IF... I am sure it will drop to 500E, but €400-€449? BIG maybe...

and I am even more sure that a lot of ppl will moan about version without WIFI and whatever else is missing...

spwolf said:
it is an HUGE IF... I am sure it will drop to 500E, but €400-€449? BIG maybe...

and I am even more sure that a lot of ppl will moan about version without WIFI and whatever else is missing...

Let them piss and moan. You don't get the best configuration at the lowest price point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
400 euro would be like £279 in the UK. That'd be a great price if they could manage it. £299 with PES 08?

Chiggs

Gold Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
Let them piss and moan. You don't get the best configuration at the lowest price point.

I think those who piss and moan will be part of the vocal minority. $399.99 is what Sony really needs right now. Card readers and USB? Pfft.

Chiggs said:
I think those who piss and moan will be part of the vocal minority. $399.99 is what Sony really needs right now.

Is it wrong that this is precisely the reason I find it hard to believe? Sony has improved over the past few months, but this is just too correct for it to be legit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sony evidently didn't like the FCC snooping. The test configurations - indicating two USB port testing etc. - has been removed from the test reports. There's a new letter now referring to this, saying:

Please replace BT test report with Revised BT test report, and WLAN test report with Revised WLAN test report.

The reason for this request is that the original test report erroneously contained test setup information which must be held short term confidential – the revised test reports do not.

The track-covering suggests that that info was giving away certain deets (i.e. increases the chances that the new model does indeed have 2 USB ports instead of 4 etc.)

lupinko

Chiggs said:
I think those who piss and moan will be part of the vocal minority. $399.99 is what Sony really needs right now. Card readers and USB? Pfft.

You need the USB ports to charge your controllers and use the PS1/PS2 memory card adapter. :lol

Rolf NB

A revised model does not imply a price cut.

That being said ("A revised model does not imply a price cut"), a price cut would probably increase sales. Probably.
*nods*

Brofist

bcn-ron said:

That being said ("A revised model does not imply a price cut"), a price cut would probably increase sales. Probably.
*nods*

If the revised model is in fact downgraded in anyway, it would be awfully difficult for Sony to pass it off for the same price, especially if it was something as noticeable as less USB slots, no Wifi, or a smaller HDD.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
lupinko said:
You need the USB ports to charge your controllers and use the PS1/PS2 memory card adapter. :lol

If you're going for minor price cutting, two should be more than sufficient.

Rolf NB

kpop100 said:
If the revised model is in fact downgraded in anyway, it would be awfully difficult for Sony to pass it off for the same price, especially if it was something as noticeable as less USB slots, no Wifi, or a smaller HDD.
True true. However, stranger things have happened. They have already done something similar with the removal of the EE, and I'd argue that this was greater value (and a higher cost, to Sony) than a couple o'ports.

I'll watch where this ship sails, but these rumblings of "real soon now" price-cuts has been going on for too long. It might as well be a competitive ploy to inspire people to hold off. Seriously, two price-cuts in less than half a year are possible but not to be expected.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
bcn-ron said:
They have already done something similar with the removal of the EE
Removal of EE resulted in BC going from 99%->75% and it's already up to 90% by now. I don't see how FW updates could add USB ports, Wifi or HDD space...

Rolf NB

Fafalada said:
Removal of EE resulted in BC going from 99%->75% and it's already up to 90% by now. I don't see how FW updates could add USB ports, Wifi or HDD space...
I don't follow.
The post-revision model does something worse than the pre-revision model, but, when bundled with some goodies, sells for the same price. That's the parallel. It doesn't need to grow back to qualify :\

Right now, not being able to play Jak & Daxter 1
I bought it last week without checking the compatibility list first
limits me more than I'd imagine only having two USB ports would. In fact to hell with the USB ports! They are just entry points for dust!
/spin

ThirdEye

The_lascar said:

How sure are you, is it confirmation by an insider or just your wish?

tanod

when is my burrito
Fafalada said:

Whatever the FCC tested is guaranteed to have Wifi.

mepaco

Fafalada said:

Maybe something happened while I wasn't looking but if you are talking about completely playable games, I don't think the software based BC is anywhere near 75%. Many of those games still have major problems.

More on topic, is there anything preventing you from using a generic USB hub with the existing ports? What is the maximum draw of the controllers vs the amount supplied by a port?

ram

The_lascar said:

its definite - sony computer entertainment germany has these prices listed as official long ago

Kosma

Banned
This is going to be a long boring weekend (have to work...bleh!) waiting for that supposed price drop on monday.

Chiggs

Gold Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
Is it wrong that this is precisely the reason I find it hard to believe? Sony has improved over the past few months, but this is just too correct for it to be legit.

:lol

Waiting for them to screw something up again?

Anyway, I think $399.99 will do wonders for the system, and someone in Sony HAS to know that. I somewhat subscribe to that theory that there are quite a few PS2 gamers waiting for that magic moment, and realistically, $399.99 is about as magic as it can get.

spwolf

mepaco said:
Maybe something happened while I wasn't looking but if you are talking about completely playable games, I don't think the software based BC is anywhere near 75%. Many of those games still have major problems.

More on topic, is there anything preventing you from using a generic USB hub with the existing ports? What is the maximum draw of the controllers vs the amount supplied by a port?

actually it is >85%... and improved in every update...

mepaco

spwolf said:
actually it is >85%... and improved in every update...

Where did you get that number from ... and are we talking about fully functional? Not trying to say you are wrong but I was under the impression there were more problems than that. If that is correct, that's pretty impressive.

[Nintex]

399 would be a great price, I really think Sony wants to increase their marketshare in Europe. The only place were Nintendo is rather weak in terms of releases, resources and marketing. And MS also announced to be more competitive on the European market so time is of the essence here.

They should also release the pre-paid PSN cards and start a marketing campaign for GT5. Finish the fight Sony!

spwolf

mepaco said:
Where did you get that number from ... and are we talking about fully functional? Not trying to say you are wrong but I was under the impression there were more problems than that. If that is correct, that's pretty impressive.

there were several threads on it with people reporting their own findings... it was pretty good from start on, and they continue to update it as well...

spwolf

Chiggs said:
:lol

Waiting for them to screw something up again?

Anyway, I think $399.99 will do wonders for the system, and someone in Sony HAS to know that. I somewhat subscribe to that theory that there are quite a few PS2 gamers waiting for that magic moment, and realistically, $399.99 is about as magic as it can get.

obviously, reason it is not $400 right now, is due to Sony losing shit load on money selling PS3 at loss :D

I am pretty sure they know that $99 will sell them billions but that doesnt mean they can do it :p

angelfly

spwolf said:
obviously, reason it is not $400 right now, is due to Sony losing shit load on money selling PS3 at loss :D

I am pretty sure they know that $99 will sell them billions but that doesnt mean they can do it :p

The problem is even though they're taking a loss right now if they got more consoles out they'd make it back quicker. The more consoles they get out the more money they'll make on software.

Lightning

Banned
The PES08 bundle could do very well for Sony if they price and market it well. Could be the boost the PS3 so desperately needs in France and UK.

spwolf

Lightning said:
The PES08 bundle could do very well for Sony if they price and market it well. Could be the boost the PS3 so desperately needs in France and UK.

randomly checking AmazonDE/UK/FR in past few days and PS3 version is better selling than 360/Wii on all 3 sites, and sales of PS3 hardware went up... some things change, Europe never :D

Top Bottom