• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps3 controller > 360 controller?

Aladuf

Banned
I like the 360 controller for certain shooters only and for racing games. For Gears and Halo it is perfect but for CoD4 I couldn't stand it at all, so I kept my PS3 version and sold the 360 version. But the PS3 controller is perfect for everything else not to mention its D-Pad is 100x better than the 360's.

Vorador

Banned
To the OP first statement

As in lighter>heavier?

Then yes.

Everything else is personal preference. IMHO the 360 pad is better, but i still have to try the DS3.

TaKeRx said:
360 controller, just because of how the analog sticks are positioned and because of the triggers.

This. I prefer the sixaxis/dualshock3's d-pad over the 360's, but the placement of the analog sticks on the 360's is far superior than the sixaxis.

They're called L2 R2 for a reason? How many freaking primary triggers do you need? I've never had a problem with the triggers in shooters or otherwise, I just don't get the bellyaching.

Also never noticed any problem with my sixaxis in terms of connectivity, except for weight and feedback my DS3 seems identical to me.

Dyno said:
I like my 360 controller better.

Those triggers are sweet for shooters and the overall size/weight feels perfect. As well the texture of their plastic makes for a good grip.

The L2/R2 buttons on my Sixaxis are design failures and this is evident because in most PS3 games I have those buttons are relegated to secondary functions that aren't usually vital in tense moments.

As well it's a tad too small for my caucasian hands and the smooth plastic means I have to hold tighter for a good grip. Both factors create hand cramping.

And then let's not get into the blutooth connectivity thing. The DS3 cannot come to NA soon enough.

PS3 Controller, why bothering mentioning reasons because everyone has made their choice already.

Except 360controller has the worst bumbers ever. Edit: And oh, Dualshock/whatever has the best D-pad ever, maybe beaten only by NES/SNES dpad.

LAMBO

They are both pretty good, really all they need is better dpads. PS3's is passable but not great, 360's is unusable(which i'm very surprised by, the Xbox type S pads had the extact same shitty dpad, i'm amazed it wasn't addressed). It is a shame that dpads were pretty much perfected by Sega nd Nintendo years ago and now they suck so much(even sega forgot how to make a dpad with the dreamcast controller).

Philthy

duk said:
what about the wiimote n chuck?

After playing Mario Galaxy, no complaints from this end. Just wish both were wireless from the getgo. Maybe next console. Despite the D-Pad being tiny, it's still the most proper one available.

PetriP-TNT said:
Except 360controller has the worst bumbers ever. Edit: And oh, Dualshock/whatever has the best D-pad ever, maybe beaten only by NES/SNES dpad.

Not really.

N3al

shintoki said:
DS3 Analog sticks are as bad as 360's dpad.
PS3's trigger buttons annoy me(fuck those L2 and R2) then 360's main buttons and home button.

But it doesn't matter which genre I'm playing. Playing for an hour instead of whining will make me do good enough with either controller...be it COD-DMC
not really, i like x360 controller, but nothing is as bad as its dpad.

Davidion

duk said:

The nunchuck could stand to be more ergonomic, it causes hand cramps when I use it for a prolonged period of time. The wiimote can use more/better button positioning.

andycapps

I've gotta go with the Sixaxis/DS3 over the 360. Face buttons, top triggers, and face buttons are better. Once I can get those trigger buttons on there that are concave instead of convex, I'll be pretty much set. I'm so used to the Dualshock design that it is perfectly fine for me, even on FPS's.

with DS3 it's no question that the ps3 controller is better

people would say "Xbox controller is best for FPS though", well when I play resistance I thought the game felt very natural with the ps3 controls and with the DS3 it's even better

Kibbles

The PS3 controller is way too small and if you try and move the left thumbstick right and the right thumbstick left you'll end up hitting your fingers >_> The thumbstick placement and gripping is much better on the 360. When I got a PS3, I'll be going 3rd Party for controller support, except for a few select games.

Slavik81

Speevy said:
The 360 has better analog sticks and back triggers. Buttons and front triggers go to the PS3 controller, along with (of course) the D-pad.
Most important is that the 360 has a far better form factor.
The PS3 is well ahead of the 360's Dpad, but that's not really saying much, and the difference in the face buttons is pretty minimal (though I do agree the PS3 is better on that front by a slim margin).

Basically, Xbox 360 pad + Wii Classic Controller D-pad would be brilliant. PS3-style face buttons and bumbers might not be bad too, but that's not essential.

Blitzzz

So much hate for a damn controller. I can play CoD4 on both without any noticeable difference. Might be easier to call helicopters in on sixaxis and might be easier to sprint on 360 but no difference at all in killing people.

If I had to choose one, I'd take the sixaxis only because d-pads are more important to me than triggers. You can't incorrectly press a trigger to do something else, but I sure do want my "right" to be a right and not an "up"

I don't understand how some of you have made it this far in life. If you complain so vehemently about the sixaxis, I would have thought you guys would have smashed your heads open using the NES controllers.

Slavik81

duk said:
The ability to separate them is a pretty huge advantage, but besides that they're pretty poorly designed from a button layout and general feel standpoint. The main exception is the phenomenal B-button. Actually, the Z-button and analog stick is also pretty good.

The -, +, D-pad, 1 and 2 buttons are all extremely poorly placed, though. There really should be more easily-accessible buttons so those buttons don't have to be used when you aren't holding the controller in a way that makes sense to use them.

RoH

Himuro said:
Anyone else like the triggers for more than shooters? I mean, take Lost Odyssey for instance. It's so satisfying using triggers to that degree in an rpg. I just find triggers in GENERAL much more comfortable, shooter or no.

Well I recently started buying and playing games exclusively on the PS3 (I'm a big shooter fan), and I hated the anything that forced me to use L2/R2 for primary fire, about two weeks ago I said F*ck it and got a DS3. Now for some odd reason its tolerable for me to use L2/R2... Well honestly it more then tolerable. The sucky thing is when I try and use the 360 I find my self not liking two things I previously would never have had a problem with, and those are the LB/RB and the position of the left analog stick.

Davidion

Slavik81 said:
The ability to separate them is a pretty huge advantage, but besides that they're pretty poorly designed from a button layout and general feel standpoint. The main exception is the phenomenal B-button. Actually, the Z-button and analog stick is also pretty good.

The -, +, D-pad, 1 and 2 buttons are all extremely poorly placed, though. There really should be more easily-accessible buttons so those buttons don't have to be used when you aren't holding the controller in a way that makes sense to use them.

Plus and minus buttons, definitely. As for the 1 and 2, keep in mind hat they need to double as action buttons for when the controller is held sideways. This is why I think perhaps more buttons might have been better, barring the "less is more" button mentality that Nintendo probably had.

Ranger X

I think the Dualshock3 is a better controller.
I still don't see the big deal with the triggers (never had issues with them). You guys must have big and really fucking sweaty and greasy hands.
I prefer the thumbs to be simetrically placed so the DS3 is having a small advantage. Then there's the button press feeling that is a bit smoother on the DS3. Finally the D-pad that plain better than on the 360 controller. I can actually press it in the direction i want without accidently press another direction like with a round D-pad.

KTallguy

Banned
domokunrox said:
For FPS: K+M > All
For Everything else: PS controller > All

That is all.

QFT.

And I've been playing Smash Brawl lately with the GCN controller. It's so damn small and the clicking that the triggers make drives me crazy, and the z button is horrible.

I really wish I could just use a dual shock, or an arcade stick even.

I like the 360 controller but the buttons are a bit hard, and the d-pad is horrible. It may be marginally better in the stick department, but honestly I don't notice a difference. I play COD4, Warhawk, and Resistance absolutely fine on the DS3.

Slavik81

RobertM said:
Game Cube controller is the shit.
Some aspects, like the shape and the triggers are fantastic. The left analog stick is pretty nice as well. Other aspects are a little iffier. The button layout is about equal, but the D-pad, the Z-button and the limited nature of the C-stick does hinder it.

Davidion said:
Plus and minus buttons, definitely. As for the 1 and 2, keep in mind hat they need to double as action buttons for when the controller is held sideways. This is why I think perhaps more buttons might have been better, barring the "less is more" button mentality that Nintendo probably had.
I only object because often even when you aren't holding it sideways, there's often something mapped to them. For example, they control the map in Zelda. The problem is because there's a lack of buttons and they're forced to push it onto those buttons (despite the fact that they're not supposed to be using them.)

Nintendo set a bad example with Twilight Princess, but that was because it was designed for so long around using a gamecube controller.

Blitzzz said:
I don't understand how some of you have made it this far in life. If you complain so vehemently about the sixaxis, I would have thought you guys would have smashed your heads open using the NES controllers.
An overwhelming majority of the people in this thread probably spent hundreds of hours playing PS1 and/or PS2, but why just accept that the controller is unergonomic and outdated? A few changes could make it much better and they should have fixed the flaws by now.

Danielsan

I've come to prefer the 360 controller with the exception of that piss poor goddamn awfull piece of hellspawn d-pad. I've been playing Virtua Fighter 5 with it (or atleast trying to) and it has actually started to squeekm like at almost every input. Not to mention that it often doesn't register your inpurt correctly and double tapping is nearly imposible. Absolute garbage and it's just baffeling that Microsoft has failed to put out a new controller with a proper d-pad.

webrunner

The PS3 controller's base design is 14 years old. Then, 11 years ago, they jammed some analog sticks on to it.

Other than the triggers, they haven't made a single change to the base design since then.

PacoDG

Dr_Cogent said:
The only thing the PS3 controller has over the 360 controller is the D-pad. That's it.

The only true statement in this thread.

Im done, not sure why this was made, really not sure why I opened it.. but I did, oh well.

RoH

Himuro said:
When I play certain games on ps controllers my hands would sweat, making my hands slippery and my hands would slip off of the damn sticks. I really hated it. I don't have that problem with 360's at all though.

The coating on the sticks for the DS3 is nice, its not sticky but its not slick it almost feels like its gripping my thumbs.

Aladuf

Banned
webrunner said:
The PS3 controller's base design is 14 years old. Then, 11 years ago, they jammed some analog sticks on to it.

Other than the triggers, they haven't made a single change to the base design since then.

Maybe that's because it just works and why change what isn't broken? Like with the 360, next gen they should keep the same design but fix that hell-hole d-pad.

webrunner

Aladuf23 said:
Maybe that's because it just works and why change what isn't broken? Like with the 360, next gen they should keep the same design but fix that hell-hole d-pad.

It IS broken, though. The Dual Analog design was designed for the Analog sticks to be supplemental (and optional) control options. Starting with the DC/PS2/GC Era that is no longer the case- the left analog stick is the primary direction input, but it's still relegated to the secondary location.

Whether you prefer it or not, you can't deny it wasn't designed with today's gaming assumptions in mind.

webrunner said:

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have changed it but I guess if they didn't it was for a reason right? I guess they just thought 'why fix what's not broken'? What I really miss in the DS3 controller is concave L2/R2 triggers... I don't like it how it feels like my finger slips off the button when I accelerate in racing games. Other than that, it feels pretty good (after all it's been a decade with the same controller).

webrunner said:
It IS broken, though. The Dual Analog design was designed for the Analog sticks to be supplemental (and optional) control options. Starting with the DC/PS2/GC Era that is no longer the case- the left analog stick is the primary direction input, but it's still relegated to the secondary location.

Whether you prefer it or not, you can't deny it wasn't designed with today's gaming assumptions in mind.

Agreed about the analog stick position, but it doesn't really feel wrong where it is right now. I'm not sure whether it'd be more comforable in the primary position. I guess I'd have to get used to it but I'm already used to its current position, so maybe that's why there was no point in changing it in the first place.

I gotta say I like both controllers, though. I don't have a 360 so I can't say whether it works fine for all types of games, but it's pretty comfortable, and why not say it, nice looking. Much better than Microsoft's previous effort.

Aladuf

Banned
webrunner said:

Sure, I can admit that. But I don't think it does too bad a job for today's games.

I prefer the 360 controller for most games, however I will admit the PS3 one is better for action games like DMC4 or Ninja Gaiden. I'll take the 360 for FPS, Racing, etc.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Put the sticks in a proper position for those that don't want cramped hands of death, and the DS3/Sixaxis is the best controller around. Conversely, fix the D-pad on the 360 and it kicks all sorts of ass.

Mindlog said:
Dude, funny that you say that you're not against Sony. I've seen you in every Sony thread so far, anything related to Sony and all you do is go against Sony.

I can't believe a moderator hasn't tapped you. Honestly. Why don't I see you eer in a 360 thread saying things that you usually say in a Sony thread? Or say, even Nintendo's threads?

It's so clear how much you hate Sony. Blatantly obvious. Hiding it now is no point. It's clearly SIXXAXIS > DS3 > 360 > Wii > Pong Paddle > Kong Drums > KB/M > Power Gloves > Sega Activator.

Oh the irony.
Just please...
StopPosting.gif

Top Bottom