• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps3 controller > 360 controller?

SexConker

Banned
JayDub said:
The 360 controller, at least for me, fits perfectly in people's hands.

So you've got severed hands from OTHER people you fit the 360 controller into?
Or have your dog and cat complained that they can't play fight night properly with the 360 controller?

I honesty prefer the 360's face buttons as well, no mushy analog buttons that were always a bad idea to start with.

Since, the majority of quality games this gen. use both the sticks and triggers then the 360 easily wins, they're two areas that are still lacking on the sixaxis.

ith3r

Banned
For general usage the 360 controller is far ahead of the dual shitock, it's the best pad ever for racers, sport games, FPSs, 3d action games and such.

For a few specifics though, the DS is the better choice (DMC4, PES come to mind), mainly because the 360 dpad is so unbelievably shitty, it makes tubgirl look like a wholesome, clean lady you'd take for dinner with your parents.

Seriously, I was trying the Bloody Palace with Dante a few days ago, trying that nifty "real time style change" gimmick, but dear god, it would change for pretty much any style but the one I wanted...

Oh, here comes that annoying plant dinosaur bitch, I better change to Trickster and get out of the way!

GUNSLINGER! *activates missile pod, gets hit*

And don't start with that "screwdriver mod" crap, because I sanded the borders so much they're almost paper thin by now, and it's super ineffective!

SexConker

Banned
Edit: ^ - DOuble negative wants to be triple (or single) negative.

I've always hated the DS.

It's an SNES pad with 2 more triggers, and some shitty sticks, in a shitty position.

I don't like the curves on the underside of the 360 pad, but it's miles beyond the DS3 and Classic Controller.

I still love me my wavebirds, bean buttons and all. They should have just gotten the triggers right, and thrown on a larger dpad.

I can understand those that are used to the Dual Shock or prefer it. But the people (and there are many of you guys) that find the 360 controller "bulky" or "heavy" really need to take a good look at yourselves. No no, honestly, get some exercise or work out or...something. Geez.

JayDub

SexConker said:
So you've got severed hands from OTHER people you fit the 360 controller into?
Or have your dog and cat complained that they can't play fight night properly with the 360 controller?

Haha, thats funny. When I posted that, I actually read the mistake, but I was too lazy to edit it. Just hopin that people would skip over it, but I guess you're too smart for that.

Dr_Cogent said:
The only thing the PS3 controller has over the 360 controller is the D-pad. That's it.

Convex analog sticks for the mother fucking LOSE.
QTFMFT

Other than sports games, the sixaxis is garbage.

tha_con

Banned
Himuro said:
I have no problem playing the games on the ps3. That doesn't mean the controller appeals to me though.

Right. Maybe I should be more specific? I don't flip out, cry, complain, get hand cramps, stop playing, or compare controllers for the sake of superiority, one over the other.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Concept17

Im one of the few who love the ps3 triggers. I love the way they sink in, and I never have problems with my fingers slipping off. I also prefer the sticks next to each other, rather then offset.

I really don't like the shoulder or trigger buttons on the 360 controller, and of course the dpad. The shape of the controller is great though.

Overall, I would gladly play every game on either console with a ps3 controller.

antiloop said:
Same. I have never thought about it before coming to GAF.

I just played.

But I want this. I don't get the hate at all:

controller.jpg

You can buy a third party version on Ebay for pretty cheap, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Controlle...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

(No that's not my auction).

PS3-14_01.jpg

Evlar

Banned
I prefer DS3 over the 360 pad. It does everything better except the placement of the D-Pad for certain games.

knitoe

Bought DS3 & DMC4 for PS3 due to supposedly much better load times. That didn't turn out to be true. And, still prefer X360 controller more and miss out on meaningful achievements. Too late now.

Everyone complains about the X360 D-pad sucking, but PS1 / PS2 / PS3 aren't that much better. A true test would be playing a game like Street Fighter. In that case, they both fail miserably.

Aladuf

Banned
knitoe said:
Bought DS3 & DMC4 for PS3 due to supposedly much better load times. That didn't turn out to be true. And, still prefer X360 controller more and miss out on meaningful achievements. Too late now.

Everyone complains about the X360 D-pad sucking, but PS1 / PS2 / PS3 aren't that much better. A true test would be playing a game like Street Fighter. In that case, they both fail miserably.

The 360 d-pad really is that bad though, when I'm playing Gears I want to push "up" on it to get grenades but when I do half the time I'll end up getting my pistol out which is set to "down"... the d-pad is a fucking mess.

duk

Banned
only fault of the 360 pad is the D-pad like many have said. The triggers, analog sticks, analog stick placements are better than the PS3 pad. (I have both)

Surfheart

The triggers on the PS3 controller are just retarded, I don't know what they were thinking there, I feel like my fingers are going to slip off all the time. Also, the shape of the pad is just uncomfortable for my hands - it has been since the PSX. The point at which the "handles" meet the rest of the pad just cuts into my fingers after a long session. Dpad and buttons are good though much superior to the 360 pad, but overall I find the 360 pad much more comfortable to hold.

vg260

I like the 360 controller, but it's crap for anything that requires precise use of the D-Pad. Shame really.

Rolf NB

duk said:
only fault of the 360 pad is the D-pad like many have said. The triggers, analog sticks, analog stick placements are better than the PS3 pad. (I have both)
Did you notice it has bumpers and face buttons?

inner-G

Banned
the 360 controller 'feels' big to me.

I prefer the analog sticks in the DS position, because i like my d-pad up top.

I use the 360 one to play PC games, but i far prefer the DS controllers. I'm a d-pad guy.

GT: d-pad
Fighters: d-pad
applicable rpg's: d-pad
menu's: d-pad

My friends think I'm nuts to play GT with the d-pad, but then I own them. :D

Overall, I prefer the DS3 compared to the 360 controller. I just like how it's not as bulky as the 360 controller, and i like the buttons better. IMO, it's just got better button organization...there are a couple of things that need work though: vibration (they fixed that, yay) and trigger buttons among other things.

Anyways, I agree with OP

Pneuzy

The 360's controller is perfect and I don't understand how people can say otherwise. It has the weight, the right feel, perfect positioning of buttons and analog sticks as well.

keyrat

For about 8 years people swore the DS was the most bad ass pad out there, and now the 360 pad comes along and everyone starts saying the DS sucks and whatnot. It must've been pretty damn awful having to play for so long with such a shitty pad.

Another thing I'll never understand is the weight issues. The 360 pad must be the heaviest pad ever. Suddenly the Sixaxis is too light. Too light? Wtf?! It weighs as much as an NES pad, SNES pad, a Genesis pad, the best Saturn pad, etc. Suddenly these pads are all too light or too small? Well that's bullshit because the SNES pad kicked ass and still kicks ass.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
keyrat said:
For about 8 years people swore the DS was the most bad ass pad out there, and now the 360 pad comes along and everyone starts saying the DS sucks and whatnot. It must've been pretty damn awful having to play for so long with such a shitty pad.

It could just be that people wanted a change. As much as I love the controller, I do appreciate a bit of variety once in a while - and the 360 offers a great alternative. :)

keyrat said:
Another thing I'll never understand is the weight issues. The 360 pad must be the heaviest pad ever. Suddenly the Sixaxis is too light. Too light? Wtf?! It weighs as much as an NES pad, SNES pad, a Genesis pad, the best Saturn pad, etc. Suddenly these pads are all too light or too small? Well that's bullshit because the SNES pad kicked ass and still kicks ass.

It's because the lack of weight represents what fans of the DS2 lost in the transition, and all the bullshit "oh, but rumble is a thing of the past" comments that surrounded it. I dont think I'd mind personally if they reduced the weight, had rumble support been maintained. All the better really.

Swifty

I swear I saw a picture of a Dual Shock gamepad from an E3 that was slated for the PS3 with the D-pad and the left analog stick placements switched into the more modern placement. If that was real, then I question why Sony didn't go with that more modern design.

vilmer_

The 360 controller to me feels like a ripoff of the Dreamcast controller. I never really liked either, I've been used to the PS controllers for over a decade now and anything else since then seems awkward.

Concept17

antiloop said:
Same. I have never thought about it before coming to GAF.

I just played.

But I want this. I don't get the hate at all:

controller.jpg

Me too. I want sony to release it. Not with any bundles, just stand alone. People think its much bigger than it really is, too.

inner-G

Banned
Swifty said:
I swear I saw a picture of a Dual Shock gamepad from an E3 that was slated for the PS3 with the D-pad and the left analog stick placements switched into the more modern placement. If that was real, then I question why Sony didn't go with that more modern design.
photoshop

I like both the PS3 and 360 controllers. I have issues with both, like the 360 Dpad is garbage (even after shaving downthe sides it is shit) or the DS3 R2/L2 buttons (I hope those cap/covers solve the problem). I also like the position of analog sticks on the DS3 more than on the 360 pad. It is far more awkward for me to use the 360 (or gamecube, dreamcast, saturn 3d controller, etc...) dpad that than it is to use an analog stick in that position.

also, shame on Nintendo for making the best dpad since the Saturn and only using it on the Gameboy Micro.

and while we are comparing tons of stuff, I think the Xbox s controller is better than the 360 controller, I wish I could use that on my 360.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Could anyone be kind enough to explain to me the differences between the sixaxis and DS3? (apart from rumble)

thanks

I honestly don't know why Sony thought it was a smart idea to change the triggers on the sixaxis. The DS2 was probably one of the best controllers I've ever held.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
TEH-CJ said:
Could anyone be kind enough to explain to me the differences between the sixaxis and DS3? (apart from rumble)

thanks

Isnt it just the rumble? I'd also like to know if there's anything else...

Increased battery capacity?

TEH-CJ said:

thanks

I think they fixed the drop-out issue with the DS3. That alone is worth a purchase.

There is no competion for me 360 pad pisses from a great height on the ds3. The sticks are so bad it makes playing games a nightmare. I finally got everyday shooter the other day and trying to shoot the twin sticks on that is beyound annoying they dont aim at all like the 360 sticks do makeing the game harder than it should be.

TEH-CJ said:

thanks

No drop out, the triggers are slightly better in that they are more consistent in terms of pressing them down, and analog sticks are slightly better.

Livin_Lovin said:
I honestly don't know why Sony thought it was a smart idea to change the triggers on the sixaxis. The DS2 was probably one of the best controllers I've ever held.

While I doubt this is the actual reason, I guess that devs are lazy and told sony that they want to use the exact same control layout from the 360 on the PS3.

I dont think it is a bad thing to have analog triggers, but the way sony went about it was all wrong.

Linkzg said:
No drop out, the triggers are slightly better in that they are more consistent in terms of pressing them down, and analog sticks are slightly better.

Wrong its the same bloody pad with rumble anyone who says otherwise is just wrong and is looking for something that isnt there. Trust me i have two since launch in japan, its the same pad with added weight of rumble.

Evlar

Banned
supermackem said:
Wrong its the same bloody pad with rumble anyone who says otherwise is just wrong and is looking for something that isnt there. Trust me i have two since launch in japan, its the same pad with added weight of rumble.
No.

supermackem said:

Actually I was right, because those are the differences between my DS3 and sixaxis. Its cool if you had a difference experience with your two controllers, but the DS3 triggers and analog sticks are better than the sixaxis ones for me.

Chris R

Are there any 360 controllers with the analogs setup like DS controllers? I hate the regular setup of the 360 controller.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
supermackem said:
Linkzg said:
Actually I was right, because those are the differences between my DS3 and sixaxis. Its cool if you had a difference experience with your two controllers, but the DS3 triggers and analog sticks are better than the sixaxis ones for me.

See, now I'm just plain confused.

HokieJoe

Esperado said:
I have large hands and I don't have a problem with either controller.

I don't have a problem with the 6-axis per se, but it doesn't feel as comfortable in my hands as the 360 controller. The 6axis is also lighter than I would like. I feel the same way about cameras. I hate those little pocket jobbers.

duk

Banned
rhfb said:
Are there any 360 controllers with the analogs setup like DS controllers? I hate the regular setup of the 360 controller.

really, i dont like the analog setup of the DS controllers as much as the 360's, feels less natural to me.

Cataferal said:
See, now I'm just plain confused.

Apparently he(?) had a different experience than me, but even so for me the difference in analog sticks and triggers are pretty small and hard to notice. My sixaxis analog sticks twisted a bit and felt cheap, my DS3 ones feel solid (could be a problem with my old sixaxis pad). The triggers on my old one didnt feel consistant in pressure, you would push down and it would feel light at the start then heavy near the end, awkward when you wanted to apply a tiny bit of pressure, but the DS3 feels like it is the same amount of resistance the entire time. There are no drop outs with the DS3, I know im not the only one because others have mentioned it also, but I got my DS3 since Uncharted came out and since then I never once had a drop out and this is compared to my Sixaxis which had issues all the time when playing Ratchet and Clank Future.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I agree the PS3 controller just feels better to me but I believe it has more to do with me being used to it than anything

clav

People are posting the PS3 controller feels familiar.

The 360 controller feels better. Ergonomic design, not bat claws. Won the IGN Award in 2005.

What? IGN IS TEH 360 BIASED. OMG!!111 Run!!!

Top Bottom