• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 custom firmware issue linked to PSN access

Nice, hopefully this can help development of a CFW past 3.55.

This might also lead to an increase in multiplayer cheating...

I am curious as to what effect this would have on PS3 online multiplayer games. I don't know much about CFW for the PS3, but would it be likely that cheating in online games would become more prevelant?

I recall fail0verflow trumpeting that the keys they discovered were also unpatchable without a hardware revision, but that obviously didn't turn out to be the case. I'll wait a few weeks before declaring the PS3's security model busted open again.

Tess3ract

Banned
PSN and the security is untouched.

The only risk is you install a Homebrew app that possibly could get your CC info if that is even saved on your PS3.

That however is as unlikely as an iOS or Android app has of obtaining that data though.

Ponn

Banned
PSN and the security is untouched.

The only risk is you install a Homebrew app that possibly could get your CC info if that is even saved on your PS3.

That however is as unlikely as an iOS or Android app has of obtaining that data though.

Well, its seems to me someone with a CFW console running game hacks can play online. That can be a problem.

I hope all this hacking does not make Sony go all crazy with the PS4 in terms of security.
It is probably safe to say because of what happened with the PS3 something like other os will probably never happen again on a console. I hope Sony does not go with proprietary hard drives like they did with memory cards on the Vita. They will probably lock down the ps4 tight and be as restrictive as possible without being draconian or overbearing.

Zoe

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony finally starts banning people for going online with this stuff.

Aeana

I feel like the new title doesn't really reflect the main content of the news, either. The big news here is the release of the Lv0 keys, not that CFW users can get on PSN again (something they've been able to do off and on over time).

Would it be possible for Sony to have the PSN servers run a check on the PS3 unit as its logging into PSN to make sure its legit? And just autoban accounts that are on cfw?

I'm not just talking about current fw version number, but other things it could look at too.

Zoe

Would it be possible for Sony to have the pan servers run a check on the PS3 unit as its logging into PSN to make sure its legit? And just autoban accounts that are on cfw?

They've identified accounts on CFW PS3's before, but they've never acted past sending out warning letters.

pixelbox

Sony has SEN security checks as well when you start your ps3, rather you have a psn account or not. And if the SEN check fails on the servers end, sony could deactivate the console.

Ponn

Banned
You don't need new CFW to play online.

You don't need CFW to have cheated stats in games.

I thought games would require higher firmware to play online, what exactly is the point of this crack then?

And you can certainly use exploits in games, but i'm talking about actual mods hacked into the game. Also if this allows access to PSN store i'm wondering what someone could do with that. Wonder if this will cause changes to the new PSN store.

jediyoshi

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony finally starts banning people for going online with this stuff.

It's ultimately not an uncommon phenomena either way though, so I'd be hard pressed to see them act differently now that another exploit is out there.

Tess3ract

Banned
I thought games would require higher firmware to play online, what exactly is the point of this crack then?

And you can certainly use exploits in games, but i'm talking about actual mods hacked into the game. Also if this allows access to PSN store i'm wondering what someone could do with that. Wonder if this will cause changes to the new PSN store.
This is to be able to play games built/patched with newer firmware. Pretty much nothing else.

Being able to now access PSN like a normal console is a byproduct.

DonMigs85

PS4 will probably end up being the most secure console ever.
I hope Nintendo and MS learned their lessons too. Online cheating and piracy can never make up for the "positives" of CFW. Just use a PC or Ouya.

I'm not entirely sure the OP understands what this even is.

"PS3 custom firmware issue linked to PSN access"

PS3 custom firmware issue? What issue?

And how is this issue linked to PSN access?

What has happened here is the LV0 encryption keys have been leaked, and more up to date CFW has been released allowing games that require newer firmware to play without special eboot patches.

PSN access on 3.55 has been around for at least a couple weeks if not more (through firmware, and also F***PSN).

This has NOTHING to do with PSN, other than the by product of being up to date is PSN access is restored.

Also, unless I am wrong, a simple update of the LV0 keys close this hole right up, and we are right back where we started with 3.55, after the keys were changed.

itxaka

Defeatist
Also, unless I am wrong, a simple update of the LV0 keys close this hole right up, and we are right back where we started with 3.55, after the keys were changed.

I believe that its impossible to change the lv0 keys. What is possible is to activate the lv0.2 which was introduced with the slim and was meant for an issue like this.

I believe that its impossible to change the lv0 keys. What is possible is to activate the lv0.2 which was introduced with the slim and was meant for an issue like this.

This... Lv0 can't be changed. It's not a matter of compatibility, it's the fact that it's read only. It's designed that way to prevent people from altering it to begin with. As I said, even if you COULD change it, it wouldn't do any good. It's the first step in the chain of trust of the PS3, it would take using the lv0 to decrypt and apply those changes, and since this article claims we have lv0 access, we can then do the same and get the new codes ;)

I honestly don't know anything about a lv0.2 so I can't comment on that. I imagine the original slim models probably don't have it either (though since I don't know, I could be mistaken), and is probably related to why newer PS3 systems can't be downgraded.

Chesskid1

Banned
i've read that since the new CFW can now be decrypted, they have access to the vita stuff they added.

people are able to rip the vita games/files off a ps3 now, and look through all the files on a PC.

itxaka

Defeatist
i've read that since the new CFW can now be decrypted, they have access to the vita stuff they added.

people are able to rip the vita games/files off a ps3 now, and look through all the files on a PC.

woah, didn't think about that.

Still I thougth that teh encryption was on the vita so the ps3 is acting liek a PC, just providing space for the vita nothing else.

umm..link to the discussion?

So cfw ps3 can finally connect to psn. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony started banning them for going online.

As mentioned earlier, CFW ps3's have been on PSN again for the last month or so, this didn't help with that.

chesskid: Link please? From what I understood, all the files for Vita titles are encrypted except for when they are on the system itself... That's why the Vita has complete control over what files get transferred over/etc. Not sure what Sony would have ever gotten with storing unencrypted files on the PS3... unless the newest firmware for PS3 just happens to have keys for Vita software, but again that would make little sense to me, what need would the PS3 ever have for unencrypted Vita games?

Not saying you're wrong on this, but I'd definitely like some more info.

(edit) Lol beaten.

Chesskid1

Banned
woah, didn't think about that.

Still I thougth that teh encryption was on the vita so the ps3 is acting liek a PC, just providing space for the vita nothing else.

umm..link to the discussion?

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=18097

not much intelligent discussion, but after all the CFW just came out.

but i wouldnt be surprised in the future, they'll learn how to grab the PS VITA files off a ps3, let you copy it to your ps3, then copy it to your vita. hacked ps3s, of course. hopefully this is not the case, tho, idk. they just need a hole to get into the vita.

who knows how much info they can get off the ps3, the "hub" of the vita.

but i wouldnt be surprised in the future, they'll learn how to grab the PS VITA files off a ps3, let you copy it to your ps3, then copy it to your vita. hacked ps3s, of course. hopefully this is not the case, tho, idk. they just need a hole to get into the vita.

Color me flabbergasted... Sony actually doesn't fully encrypt the files on the PS3... The eboots are of course still encrypted, but it's not like when you put the files on PC where everything is encrypted.

In other words, the games are per-system encrypted. They won't run on other people's vitas, but they lack whatever PC encryption that Sony's software manager does on top of that.

I imagine Vitas also "call home" on any unregistered PSN game sitting on the card to make sure it's purchased (like when you switch user accounts on it)

itxaka

Defeatist

Awesome that is called psp2 lol

itxaka

Defeatist
So Slims on >3.55 firmware are SOL without a complicated downgrade while fats can be CFW'd regardless of firmware revision?

My 2 fat PS3 just went up in price :p

Reading wololo, he says that some of the slims may not have this. Still we don't know how Sony made the changes. After all the failures to protect the ps3 I wouldn't discount the lv0.2 not working or something like that.

Speaking of the wololo article, I don't see it posted here on this thread, correct me if I'm wrong so here.

http://wololo.net/2012/10/24/ps3-blown-open-scene-chaos-lv0-keys-leaked-and-working/

Much more indepth/detailed/etc than my take.

(edit) Reading this some more I'll drop a few more interesting points since it was brought up a few posts ago (for those that don't want to read the long article)

The only systems with lvl0.2 are the newer 3k models and super slims, any system that could have downgraded to 3.55 will work. Only the newer slims and super slims will be effected by lv0.2 and it looks like something that won't get a solution... but with the rest of the system ripped open, there could be hope for other user mode exploits.

(edit 2) Also I was mistaken on the chain of trust. bootldr and metldr come before lv0. Good to know. Either way it's still not changable in OLDER consoles (older slims and phats) but apparently IS on the lv0.2 enabled slims/super slims.

Speaking of the wololo article, I don't see it posted here on this thread, correct me if I'm wrong so here.

http://wololo.net/2012/10/24/ps3-blown-open-scene-chaos-lv0-keys-leaked-and-working/

Much more indepth/detailed/etc than my take.

(edit) Reading this some more I'll drop a few more interesting points since it was brought up a few posts ago (for those that don't want to read the long article)

The only systems with lvl0.2 are the newer 3k models and super slims, any system that could have downgraded to 3.55 will work. Only the newer slims and super slims will be effected by lv0.2 and it looks like something that won't get a solution... but with the rest of the system ripped open, there could be hope for other user mode exploits.

(edit 2) Also I was mistaken on the chain of trust. bootldr and metldr come before lv0. Good to know. Either way it's still not changable in OLDER consoles (older slims and phats) but apparently IS on the lv0.2 enabled slims/super slims.

I've been looking through it a bit as well, and it seems right now that 3.55 firmware is required to do any of these CFW flashes, and if you want to downgrade, you need an expensive flasher. This doesn't sound like a massive Sony checkmate to me, unless this is the beginning of what is possible.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
KojiKnight said:
Color me flabbergasted... Sony actually doesn't fully encrypt the files on the PS3...
Unless I read that wrong - he dumped a Vita game from Vita to PS3, so that wouldn't say anything about encryption of downloaded-packages on PS3.

I've been looking through it a bit as well, and it seems right now that 3.55 firmware is required to do any of these CFW flashes, and if you want to downgrade, you need an expensive flasher. This doesn't sound like a massive Sony checkmate to me, unless this is the beginning of what is possible.

The best way to think about this would be like a Zelda dungeon. You first have to find out how to get into the dungeon, usually some item unlocks it. In this case, that's lv0. With lv0 we can get inside the dungeon. Now the dungeon is filled with all sorts of locked rooms we can't get into just because we got into the dungeon. Luckily, we know the keys to all the seperate rooms are somewhere in here... some keys are locked behind other doors, but like every good Zelda dungeon, no key is inaccessible. It just takes time and a lot of exploration.

That's the first big hurdle. Once you have all of that, then you can begin your investigations properly. Maybe once everything is unlocked they'll find a nice exploit that will directly let them sign some code that can be run on any machine. Not likely, but far from impossible. If such a convenient thing doesn't exist, they at least now have access to all of the hardware again on the latest firmwares and they can begin looking and accessing exploits.

So no, this isn't an immediate magic solution to CFW on machines that are up to date on OFW, but it is the largest step in that direction since the first dongles appeared.

fafahlada: He shows dumping a PSN game he bought on Vita (in this case, Uncharted: GA) to PS3 and then dumping the files from his PS3. I'll go through it again later to double check, but it sounds like he's just using the regular way to copy vita games to PS3.

Quick, everybody panic, it's absolutely nothing!
xSM17.gif
xSM17.gif
xSM17.gif
xSM17.gif

GavinGT

Banned
So now with Vita games finally being dumped, I foresee two things:

1) Sony will disable some crucial Vita-PS3 functionality

2) #1 will be of little use, and widespread Vita game piracy will ensue

So now with Vita games finally being dumped, I foresee two things:

1) Sony will disable some crucial Vita-PS3 functionality

2) #1 will be of little use, and widespread Vita game piracy will ensue

Dumping a game doesn't do anything useful by itself. 3DS games have been dumped since the first 3-6 months of the system's release.

You still need a Vita exploit to be able to run these, and the only Vita exploits in the wild are all PSP related.

GavinGT

Banned
Dumping a game doesn't do anything useful by itself. 3DS games have been dumped since the first 3-6 months of the system's release.

You still need a Vita exploit to be able to run these, and the only Vita exploits in the wild are all PSP related.

I understand that. But it certainly seems like an inevitability at this point.

I understand that. But it certainly seems like an inevitability at this point.

Depending on what can be found lurking in the latest PS3 firmwares... this is true. Honestly if it does I'll be kind of surprised. Not that it happens, but I kind of pegged 3DS getting fully hacked first.

Systems getting hacked are all an inevitability, it's actually pretty impressive on Sony for how they dealt with metldr being dumped/exposed by GeoHots and everything that came from that so long.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
KojiKnight said:
fafahlada: He shows dumping a PSN game he bought on Vita (in this case, Uncharted: GA) to PS3 and then dumping the files from his PS3.
Actually I misread your original post, I thought you were inferring this has some implication on download packages (which are encrypted differently).
Are the Vita->PC backups really encrypted though, or is it just packed in some non-standard container? When it comes to restoring backups - IIRC both devices phone home before you can copy(that's why content-manager requires internet access).

herod

Actually I misread your original post, I thought you were inferring this has some implication on download packages (which are encrypted differently).
Are the Vita->PC backups really encrypted though, or is it just packed in some non-standard container? When it comes to restoring backups - IIRC both devices phone home before you can copy(that's why content-manager requires internet access).

it takes so long that it can only be being encrypted on the vita prior to the copy.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
it takes so long that it can only be being encrypted on the vita prior to the copy.
That's most likely a result of slow USB interface.
It's equally slow copying to PC and ps3. It is also the same speed as copying data without drm, or copying between PSPgo and PC/ ps3 which has no encryption.

test_account

XP-39C²

There isnt much need for a PS3 in this process. The PS3 just acts like a Content Manager as far as i know, which also excist for PC. The PC is a wide open platform and you can already view all the files there. No need to go through the PS3 first when you can do the exact same thing with Vita to PC directly.

Top Bottom