• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 custom firmware issue linked to PSN access

moniker

This... Lv0 can't be changed. It's not a matter of compatibility, it's the fact that it's read only. It's designed that way to prevent people from altering it to begin with. As I said, even if you COULD change it, it wouldn't do any good. It's the first step in the chain of trust of the PS3, it would take using the lv0 to decrypt and apply those changes, and since this article claims we have lv0 access, we can then do the same and get the new codes ;)

I honestly don't know anything about a lv0.2 so I can't comment on that. I imagine the original slim models probably don't have it either (though since I don't know, I could be mistaken), and is probably related to why newer PS3 systems can't be downgraded.

This isn't entirely true - lv0 can be changed. It doesn't matter though because these are actually the bootldr keys (which can't be changed), so even if they change lv0 it's still decryptable.

Top Bottom