• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
- What´s the name of what we are looking for? (like, 4.21, rogero, what?)

- is it safe? when will it be safe?

- Im on 3.55 kmeaw. However i installed that "spoofer" (i think) so the system thinks you´re in current FW and can access PSN (but i was never able to). Should i be worried?

The latest CFW is 4.21 Rogero.

It's "safe" to install on fat, older models of PS3's on 3.55 CFW, but any and all Slim models are at risk of bricking (not for sure but any serious chance of bricking is bad). If you have a fattie, feel free to upgrade, if you have a Slim, just wait until a revised CFW comes out - which should be in the next few days as Rogero is working on his and other groups, such as Rebug, are also working on them.

If you are ultra catious, just wait a few days for the kinks to be worked out of the current 4.21 CFW.

Your spoofer shouldn't cause any issues, but it is useless so maybe uninstall it anyway.

koryuken

For users that are running a more or less current Sony firmware, is there a way to get a CFW? If not, does it seem like this is happening?

Looks like upgrading to CFW4.21 is not needed since eboots are getting fixed for CFW3.55...

If you're merely interested in playing certain/popular games, maybe. But if you want to be able to update to the latest game patches, get any DLC, and buy and play any game including niche/PSN titles, Day-1, etc. then a new CFW has big advantages. It basically allows you to do anything an OFW can.

They were able to exploit the PSP again and again after Sony closed existing exploits. I'm hoping they will eventually find an exploit for current OFWs which allows downgrading and CFW installation.

Hyllian

NES ✔
NeoGeo ✔
SNES ✔
Genesis ✔
MAME ✔ (obviously not as compatible as the PC version, but still very far reaching)
PS1 ✔ (via on-disc games only atm)
PS2 ✔ (via on-disc games only on systems that support backwards compatibility)

Gamecube -- Dolphin has not been ported. It likely needs more horsepower than the PS3 would be able to provide.

Xbox -- Not even a stable PC emulator exists

Xbox 360 -- LOL

And you can get this filter quality (xbr-hybrid.cg):

tela005.png

tela004.png

tela003.png

tela001.png

No blur added, no jaggies left, no textures over post-processed. And no shit scanlines added to hide all these things.

Majmun

Since people are busy bricking their consoles with a new CFW, DUPLEX brings
you an Eboot Patch for good old CFW 3.55 !

:p

Looks like DUPLEX is going to patch the games to work on cfw3.55...

MMaRsu

Banned
Not sure if true but

Source: ps3hax.net

The man behind Rogero manager and Roger CFW is looking for beta testers for his new CFW, here is a quote from the source:

Ok Guys, I think now we are ready for the initial Beta testing of “Rogero CEX4.21 v1.09″

Now it should work fine on those slim machines that bricked with version 1.00 ( all the team testers have it now working fine on their slims that bricked the first time )

Please I need the guys with Flashers installed and willing to test it before the rest of the guys who don’t have flashers

Especially those machines that bricked and were recovered, these are the most meant by this test release.

and if all went fine and no more brick reports hopefully, we will have the official release soon.

For the guys willing to test it and are aware of the risks like any CFW test,

Please post here in this thread and not in PM, and i will reply to you in PM with the download link.

Cheers

Not sure if true but
Will we have to re-rip those games that were patched for 3.55 when we upgrade to 4.21? I keep reading that those 3.55 fixed eboots won't work on 4.21. I don't understand why they wouldn't? I never kept my original eboots. I gotta friggen re-rip all my games? Is it possible just to rip certain files off a disc? (the eboot)

Confused.

Will we have to re-rip those games that were patched for 3.55 when we upgrade to 4.21? I keep reading that those 3.55 fixed eboots won't work on 4.21. I don't understand why they wouldn't? I never kept my original eboots. I gotta friggen re-rip all my games? Is it possible just to rip certain files off a disc? (the eboot)

Confused.

Just the eboots. The only thing that might get tricky is games you might have patched updates into, and now are using patched (non-original release version) eboots.

MMaRsu

Banned
Postby Rogero » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm
I just sent the Link for the last Tester "r0bertfisk"

I won't be sending any links anymore, now we have to wait for the response of all those who are testing it before preparing for the public release.

Also i have received a lot of feedback through IRC channels and not even one problem reported, so it seems all good finally.... maybe i can have some sleep tonight...

Public release on first page will be in few hours....

Cheers

Sweet mercy! Finally we'll be on CFW 4.21 everybody :D.

Just the eboots. The only thing that might get tricky is games you might have patched updates into, and now are using patched (non-original release version) eboots.
Oh okay thanks. I guess there's no way for multiman to rip only the eboot then? Only have a few games that were fixed for 3.55 but still don't wanna have to re-rip everything if I don't have to.

Going from kmeaw to rogero or rebug scares me. Kmeaw has been flawless. My OG one and only PSW CFW *tear*

Why is rogero still focusing on 4.21 and not 4.30?

N.A

Banned
New Rogero 4.21 is out, apparently fixes all known problems.

If in 24 hours there are no reports of bricks this will be the recommended firmware for this topic & the wiki.

v1.09 Details and Changes
- Compatibility problem with some Slim models (CECH-25xx) is now fully fixed.
- XMB Icons problem from in-game PS button is now fixed.
- Loading games from App_home Icon is now fixed.
- Many other fixes from version 1.00 for a better performance and added stability.
- It was tested by hundreds of testers on all PS3 models (FAT & Slim) and no problems were encountered.
- It can run games signed with Keys up to version 4.21 without any Eboot/Sprx patching needed
- Games can be loaded from Disc Icon (with Original game in BD) and from app_home (Disc-less, but not all games).
- Current 3.55 homebrew applications can't be loaded on this CFW, applications must be re-signed properly for FW4.21

MMaRsu

Banned
I am so goddamn stupid to update through my dishonored disc.. Why did I not take it out? Now I have 2 OFW Ps3's... Fuck my life man

Miutsu

I am so goddamn stupid to update through my dishonored disc.. Why did I not take it out? Now I have 2 OFW Ps3's... Fuck my life man

As they say, la tercera es la vencida! No, really, I don't understand, how is it that you updated through dishonored?

MMaRsu

Banned
As they say, la tercera es la vencida! No, really, I don't understand, how is it that you updated through dishonored?

Dont update through the recovery menu with a disc in the drive that's my fucking tip.

Im already looking to buy a new 3.55 machine, although mine was a perfect slim 320gb beauty. FML

Yep, it's right in the instructions not to do that heh. Sorry for your loss.

ATTENTION:

1- This CFW doesn't have LV1 checks disabled and can't be installed on Downgraded PS3 consoles unless you have Dehashed/Reset Syscon Properly (if you're not sure about your PS3, Dehash it anyway to avoid any risk) Link ----> Dehashing Tutorial

2- Always make a NOR/Nand dump using multiMAN or memdump before installing any CFW to have a recovery backup in case of any bricks.
Having a valid NOR/Nand dump is an essential step before upgrading, because you will always have a way to recover (using hardware flashers) when you have a valid dump.
** A Hardware Flasher alone without a valid dump cannot fix your bricked PS3 **

3- The QA flag must be always Enabled on your PS3 for safer upgrading/downgrading operations. Link ----> toggle_qa.pkg

4- Always use the Recovery Menu while installing this CFW to avoid possible bricks (XMB update works, but Recovery Menu is safer).

6- Please Check the MD5 of the downloaded PUP file before installing any CFW to avoid possible bricks.

7- DO NOT HAVE DISC IN PS3 WHEN UPDATING FIRMWARES..As the PS3 will take the UPDATE from the DISC First.

8- You need to already be on 3.55 to install this. Installing from any firmware other than 3.55 will simply not work

It's even in all CAPS.

Majmun

Has any of you tried to downgrade back to fw3.55 after installing Rogeror's 4.21CFW?

The downgrade PUP seems to be there...

Hyllian

offtopic, can this be used on a PC emulator? Ive tried SNES on a PC but it looks horrid. Games look really pixelated. Need this filter or similar one.

Yes, Snes9x and Retroarch for PC can use these shaders. But, it'll depend on your gpu shader power.

Other than that, almost all PC emulators have at least some cpu filters you can use to depixelate your games when running in higher resolutions.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cool I flashed to OFW 4.21 cause I had my dishonored game in the drive.

I'm out y'all
That sucks, sorry to hear that :\ But instead of buying a new PS3, can't you flash the one you already have? I know that it require hardware flashing, but maybe someone close to you can do it? Maybe some modchip shop/website.

Top Bottom