• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Tess3ract

Banned
The keys they got at the time were all you needed. Sony changed it to instead of needing an impersonal key, to use one that's generated by your console. The way the system is setup, hackers have basically Checkmated sony because this can't be fixed.

They'd have to release a whole new PS3 mobo ala the psp, and unless that weird ps3 design has that, they're not going to be able to fix it.

DieH@rd

Banned
The keys they got at the time were all you needed. Sony changed it to instead of needing an impersonal key, to use one that's generated by your console. The way the system is setup, hackers have basically Checkmated sony because this can't be fixed.

They'd have to release a whole new PS3 mobo ala the psp, and unless that weird ps3 design has that, they're not going to be able to fix it.

Yeah, 3.55cfw used "fair random number" exploit that was fixed in 3.60ofw.
sony-ps3-security-cracked.jpg

Discovery of valid new L0 keys [truly valid keys that can be used to make a lot of damage] represents a miracle for hackers.

edit - Can someone tells what parts of system can be updated by Sony, and what parts are not [boot, os, hypervisor, metdlr, etc]?

LordCanti

I'm reading quite a few brick reports with the new CFW, so I'll wait for now. We'll be able to get on PSN for the foreseeable future, right?

Foffy

Banned
PS4 Walled Bunker of DRM. Believe.

One day those walls will crumble. What commercial products have NOT been circumvented by hacks? Smartphones, game platforms, it seems the type of things people on GAF would use are all things that have or are possible to have their doors broken down.

I'm reading quite a few brick reports with the new CFW, so I'll wait for now. We'll be able to get on PSN for the foreseeable future, right?

If Sony can't fix this then they will probably implement a banning system. I'm surprised they don't have one in place after the last exploit.

freshair

I read a post and it seems that those who didn't reset their qa flags (whatever that means) ended up bricking. Also most were slims, few fats.

Jockel

I was on Rebug 3.55, updated to Rogero 4.21 directly, everything working fine so far.
PSN works, bought PS+ straight away.

Cth

What's involved in updating the Blu-Ray driver/codec/whatever it is.. ?

I'm on 3.55 CFW and just got the message with a blu-ray I rented.

Is it as simple as turning wireless on or is it tied to the firmware?

r1cola

Neo Member
yeah, I had that happen too with a BD

I think I tried offline/ver spoofing and it didnt work

ended up ripping on the pc...

Cth

Prometheus

"To play this bd you must renew the encryption key." etc, etc.

Mostly FOX blu-rays (Fringe season 4 did it as well)

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah, if you upgrade to 4.21 it will likely work fine. They changed the keys and those are in the new fw. You can't play any new bluray in it otherwise.

However: I suggest waiting a week or two and asking again before you upgrade your 3.55 to 4.21

Cth

Yeah, if you upgrade to 4.21 it will likely work fine. They changed the keys and those are in the new fw. You can't play any new bluray in it otherwise.

However: I suggest waiting a week or two and asking again before you upgrade your 3.55 to 4.21

No problem. I was planning on getting a standalone blu-ray player for downstairs.

Good to hear the new FW will likely fix it.

Thanks!

squall23

So in layman's terms the usage of this hack/key is much deeper than the previous hack a few years ago thus making it much harder for Sony to fix?

Chesskid1

Banned
The exact same comments were made last time about how screwed Sony was though with similar explanations given. Also as long as there is no software solution to getting from the latest OFW to CFW I don't think Sony should be too worried.

to be fair, those early comments were made when people were still learning the ins and outs of the ps3.

saying it now has a ton more weight, imo.

One day those walls will crumble. What commercial products have NOT been circumvented by hacks? Smartphones, game platforms, it seems the type of things people on GAF would use are all things that have or are possible to have their doors broken down.

3DS is still bolted down secure, right?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am on DEX 4.21 and am not sure if I should go back to CEX to get 4.21CFW. Will we always get new CFW updates for the upcoming official Sony firmwares? DEX will always get updates so if CFW wont get. CFW scene will be again stuck at the one like 3.55. Considering there is a chance of brick in going to CEX from DEX, I dont think its worth it if new CFWs wont become available. What do you guys think?

Will this make any difference to those with Playstations on the latest firmware then?

I assume it is still the case that it is not possible to downgrade them (well not easily)

zsidane

I have a question folks and I hope you will enlighten me!
I've been running 3.55 cfw for more than a year and no problem because my Ps3 is mainly a "GuitarHeroStation 3" but now that I'm heading home with my shining new copy of Rocksmith I probably won't be able to wait until everything settle down (brick reports...)
It seems Rocksmith requires only 4.21. Will I be able to go back to 3.55 and install a 4.25cfw when it's stable?

Thanks again for your help guys!

djblue89

I'm on 4.21 DEX right now. Should I wait for a DEX version of the firmware or try to convert back to CEX ? Converting back to CEX seems really risky... Any advice guys ?

djblue89

I am on DEX 4.21 and am not sure if I should go back to CEX to get 4.21CFW. Will we always get new CFW updates for the upcoming official Sony firmwares? DEX will always get updates so if CFW wont get. CFW scene will be again stuck at the one like 3.55. Considering there is a chance of brick in going to CEX from DEX, I dont think its worth it if new CFWs wont become available. What do you guys think?

I just posted pretty much the exact same thing as you lol ! Here is hoping for cfw 4.21 DEX. Best of both worlds :)

djblue89

Just wondering since they was asking to change to CEX :)

We can't play any Blu-Ray movies and for now we can't install 4.21 CFW. We are running 4.21 DEX firmware which allows us to play any new game as long as there is a patch released on PSN for the game. We need to run our games for external HDD using BDEMU

moniker

So in layman's terms the usage of this hack/key is much deeper than the previous hack a few years ago thus making it much harder for Sony to fix?

This was the last line of defense so to speak - Sony can't fix this. This is actually the bootldr key (which decrypts lv0), and it's impossible for Sony to update. They might obfuscate stuff att pull tricks to make creating CFW harder, but the security is effectively broken (on old PS3s).

Tess3ract

Banned
Will this make any difference to those with Playstations on the latest firmware then?

I assume it is still the case that it is not possible to downgrade them (well not easily)
Even if you had a hw flasher, you can't downgrade to a fw your system never had. You have to wait for a cfw that doesn't require 3.55 and that's a few months away

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rebug is releasing a 4.30 CFW very soon.

DO WANT.

Someone needs to bump this thread when this happens. I updated, but if the CFW allows me to move the trophy listing back to it's proper place (where the PSN store icon invaded): BEST. THING. EVAR. for the XMB.

Ok no problem, I have the Kmeaw 3.55 CFW version if that makes a difference?

Rogero has a 4.21 cfw that's in the wild, but he himself pulled the download link because of people getting bricks and other odd bugs. He's not sure what the issue is, but until further notice, it's been said to wait hold off on installing it unless you're very brave or don't give an f if you brick.

3.55 Kmeaw is perfectly fine to sit and wait with. If you want to have a bit of fun you can upgrade to Rogero 3.55 CEX V3.7 which will enable your PSN access (trophy sync, onlineplay, no store access).

Another developer, Rebug, has said that shortly after 4.30 hits (which was yesterday) he will be releasing a CFW as well. Apparently it's been in testing for months and ultra safe, but it's never a good idea to be an early adopter when big releases like this happen.

Wait a week to hear if people are getting bricks or not after Rogero and/or Rebug put out their next version.

Rogero has a 4.21 cfw that's in the wild, but he himself pulled the download link because of people getting bricks and other odd bugs. He's not sure what the issue is, but until further notice, it's been said to wait hold off on installing it unless you're very brave or don't give an f if you brick.

3.55 Kmeaw is perfectly fine to sit and wait with. If you want to have a bit of fun you can upgrade to Rogero 3.55 CEX V3.7 which will enable your PSN access (trophy sync, onlineplay, no store access).

Another developer, Rebug, has said that shortly after 4.30 hits (which was yesterday) he will be releasing a CFW as well. Apparently it's been in testing for months and ultra safe, but it's never a good idea to be an early adopter when big releases like this happen.

Wait a week to hear if people are getting bricks or not after Rogero and/or Rebug put out their next version.
Will do, Thanks for the info. Is there a site I can visit to get the up to the minute info on this developing situation?

test_account

XP-39C²
We can't play any Blu-Ray movies and for now we can't install 4.21 CFW. We are running 4.21 DEX firmware which allows us to play any new game as long as there is a patch released on PSN for the game. We need to run our games for external HDD using BDEMU
I see. Then i see what is missing from DEX firmware. It should be possible to change from DEX to CEX again, and then upgrade to CFW 4.21, but as other have already mentioned, it is best to wait a bit and see further developement around CFW 4.21. Mostly waiting for a stable version.

djblue89

I see. Then i see what is missing from DEX firmware. It should be possible to change from DEX to CEX again, and then upgrade to CFW 4.21, but as other have already mentioned, it is best to wait a bit and see further developement around CFW 4.21. Mostly waiting for a stable version.

It is possible, but it has a high risk of bricking the system. But as of today, I can still play MOH and mostly any new game... So I will wait for a DEX version of the CFW, which will hopefully be released so I can play some homebrew

To be honest it doesn't make sense updating for me until the majority of homebrew is updated anyway. I stopped buying games for my ps3 ages ago and most titles I've wanted to play have been available on 360.

Have any of the major emu devs said anything in regard to updating?

LordCanti

I went out and bought Journey. I hope they figure out the brick risk with Rogero's CFW soon so that I can play.

It looks like there is a 3.55 fix, but it would be so much easier to just pop the disc in and go.

djblue89

I went out and bought Journey. I hope they figure out the brick risk with Rogero's CFW soon so that I can play.

It looks like there is a 3.55 fix, but it would be so much easier to just pop the disc in and go.

Thats one of the advantages of 4.21 DEX

Top Bottom