• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

I'm on FW 11.5.0 and I've got a R4i Gold 3DS (RTS) card which is on the compatibility list - but I've had no luck following the guide.

I put the relevant ntrboothack flasher file on the SD card and try to run it, and sometimes I get a white screen, followed my minutes of nothingness.

Does the SD Card need to be structured in certain way? A certain format? Certain size?
I'm just putting the ntrboothack flasher file in the root directory, with nothing else on the SD Card

There's a chance your R4 card is a counterfeit. Counterfeit R4s were very very common back in the day.

You mean on the root of the SD card that goes in the DS Flash cart right ? Not the 3DS SD card. I'm pretty sure the flasher has to be run in DS mode.

BigBrotherT

Neo Member
There's a chance your R4 card is a counterfeit. Counterfeit R4s were very very common back in the day.

You mean on the root of the SD card that goes in the DS Flash cart right ? Not the 3DS SD card. I'm pretty sure the flasher has to be run in DS mode.

It's a brand new card, purchased from the link in the guide. Really hope it's not a counterfeit.

And yep, I'm talking about the SD card in the flash card. I'll try reformatting it when I get home from work.

Edit: Got it working. Turns out I needed some other software on my Flash Card.

Robin64

Just discovered Thenaya, which is a program to write amiibo data to ntag215 cards, like the Android apps do but this one runs on 3DS. Perfect! While I do have a collection of around 60 amiibo, there are still some I've missed, so this will do nicely.

Sailent

Banned
So I've followed the guide and everything went perfect, after 2 or 3 months now my games take a lot of time to load, like, before it was like 5 seconds and now it goes up to 20 or 30 seconds.

How do I update the system without fucking up everything?

So I've followed the guide and everything went perfect, after 2 or 3 months now my games take a lot of time to load, like, before it was like 5 seconds and now it goes up to 20 or 30 seconds.

If you're on B9S you just update through system settings. Though I don't think that'll solve the issue for you.

Maybe your SD card has a problem or is close to being full?

Saikyo

Have you changed your SD card or installed more games?

Unicorn

So, if I want to do wireless transfer via homebrew channel's FTP kit, but don't want to be flagged by Nintendo.. how do I access wifi access without connecting to any online services?

There have been reports of a wave of bans being handed out to CFW users by Nintendo. To protect yourself, please do the following steps before starting this guide:

Go to System Settings, then ”Internet Settings", then ”SpotPass", then ”Sending of System Information"
Disable the ”Sending of System Information" option
Exit the System Settings
Go to your Friend's List (the Face Icon in the top row of your Home Menu)
If you receive an error and are kicked out of the menu, the Friend's List setting is already disabled
Go to the Friend's List settings, then ”Friend Notification Settings", then ”Show friends what you're playing"
Disable the ”Show friends what you're playing" option
Exit your Friend's List

Is this all it takes to not be flagged?

Producer

So, if I want to do wireless transfer via homebrew channel's FTP kit, but don't want to be flagged by Nintendo.. how do I access wifi access without connecting to any online services?

Is this all it takes to not be flagged?

Use the Rosalina feature that lets you choose any app to launch Homebrew Launcher, and choose a stock 3ds app. So that way you can use homebrew while connected to the internet, while the 3ds is showing that you're using a stock app. I've used FTPD through the above method and it works fine.

So I have the PAL EU SNES edition N3DS XL on preorder, which'll probably come with the latest firmware. All my games are NTSC though. Will this system still be hackable so I can play my NTSC-U carts?

Unicorn

Use the Rosalina feature that lets you choose any app to launch Homebrew Launcher, and choose a stock 3ds app. So that way you can use homebrew while connected to the internet, while the 3ds is showing that you're using a stock app. I've used FTPD through the above method and it works fine.
Isn't there a setting from boot to make health & safety the homebrew channel? I haven't updated Luma in a long time and am still on a9lh

Xbro

Having trouble playing my dumped copy of Awakening. Getting this error:

error type: generic
process ID:42
Process name: Iron16
Process title ID: 0x00040000001b4000
Address: 0x0020c75c
Error Code: 0xd900458b
Press any button to reboot

Question: with Luma installed are carts locked out if the system firmware is out of date? I know it bypasses region locking so I was wondering if Luma does the same for firmware version locking. I’m still on 11.4. I was just wondering in advance of Metroid this Friday if I need to worry about updating the system firmware, Luma, AL9H, etc.

Teppic

I have 3DSxl with al9h and firmware 11.2.2-35E. Is it possible to rip and play my copy of Samus returns without updating? The game comes with a newer firmware that will be forced upon me if I attempt to start it, right? Can I rip it so it doesn't contain the firmware part?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I have 3DSxl with al9h and firmware 11.2.2-35E. Is it possible to rip and play my copy of Samus returns without updating? The game comes with a newer firmware that will be forced upon me if I attempt to start it, right? Can I rip it so it doesn't contain the firmware part?

I guess so. But why wouldn't you update to the latest version if you have A9HL installed? Updated it to B9S, update Luma and then your console. There's no reason to stay on an older firmware nowadays.

Teppic

I guess so. But why wouldn't you update to the latest version if you have A9HL installed? Updated it to B9S, update Luma and then your console. There's no reason to stay on an older firmware nowadays.
I stopped updating after I heard about the performance problems added in later firmwares, affecting OoT tutorial sections and maybe other things. Have they fixed that?

I also messed up the install of one game which made fbi slower than usual. After that I've been hesitant to update in case it will cause things to break if I do. If I'm updating I will first go through a full reset of the system just to be safe. Just haven't had the energy to figure out how to do all of this yet.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I stopped updating after I heard about the performance problems added in later firmwares, affecting OoT tutorial sections and maybe other things. Have they fixed that?

I also messed up the install of one game which made fbi slower than usual. After that I've been hesitant to update in case it will cause things to break if I do. If I'm updating I will first go through a full reset of the system just to be safe. Just haven't had the energy to figure out how to do all this yet.

Those slowdowns were fixed in Luma a long time ago, yes.

Teppic

Those slowdowns were fixed in Luma a long time ago, yes.
That's good to hear. So how do I make a clean install before updating? I have a nand backup which I believe can reset everything to how if was just after updating to ah9l. Can I do a reset while keeping my saved games? I guess I have to re-install all my games afterwards too?

Why do you want to reset? Sounds like a lot of effort for little or no gain.

If you messed up an install of a game (I'm not sure how you may have done that) then just uninstall all traces of it. Ask if you need help.

It's easy to go from A9LH to B9S, but more difficult to go from the latest firmware to B9S. If you do restore your NAND then do B9S immediately afterwards, before updating to the latest system software.

Teppic

Some help needed. Decided to just update A9LH to B9S. I'm at section 2 in the guide "Boot your device while holding (Start) to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu"

This doesn't work. The power light just flashes blue and then immediately fades out. Nothing is showing up on the screen.

Some help needed. Decided to just update A9LH to B9S. I'm at section 2 in the guide "Boot your device while holding (Start) to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu"

This doesn't work. The power light just flashes blue and then immediately fades out. Nothing is showing up on the screen.

Make sure you have Luma's boot.firm on the root of the sd card.

In the light of bannings, would it be safe to download the Etrian Odyssey demo? I'm on 11.5 with B9S and latest Luma and haven't been banned yet.

Lettuce

So i havent updated my Luma3DS CFW for ages, im on version 6.6 what steps do i need to take to update to the latest v8.1.1 version?, i take it it wont be as simple as overwriting the files and folders this time around?

Xbro

Having trouble playing my dumped copy of Awakening. Getting this error:

error type: generic
process ID:42
Process name: Iron16
Process title ID: 0x00040000001b4000
Address: 0x0020c75c
Error Code: 0xd900458b
Press any button to reboot

Anything on this?

Lettuce

So this is the state of my SD card after updating to Boot9strap and Luma 8.1.1.....

CDvKF7W.jpg

I cant even remember what 90% of these files and folder were for!.

Do i need...

mset
mset-spider
menuhax
hax
files9
hs.enc
slot0x1BkeyX.bin
slot0x05KeyY.bin
slot0x11key96.bin
slot0x25keyX.bin

anymore??

Aeana

Whew. Retail Metroid cart was not booting on my hacked JP 3DS. I tried using the locale.txt trick but it just froze at the 3DS logo while booting the game. Then I realized my Luma was out of date. Updated that, tried to boot the cart without game patching enabled, and the game still crashed... but fortunately, game patching with locale.txt works with it on the latest Luma version.

Just an FYI for anyone who may have trouble with this.

Whew. Retail Metroid cart was not booting on my hacked JP 3DS. I tried using the locale.txt trick but it just froze at the 3DS logo while booting the game. Then I realized my Luma was out of date. Updated that, tried to boot the cart without game patching enabled, and the game still crashed... but fortunately, game patching with locale.txt works with it on the latest Luma version.

Just an FYI for anyone who may have trouble with this.

just had the same issue - thanks for posting this! worked perfectly using Luma Locale Switcher after the update.

So this is the state of my SD card after updating to Boot9strap and Luma 8.1.1.....

CDvKF7W.jpg

I cant even remember what 90% of these files and folder were for!.

Do i need...

mset
mset-spider
menuhax
hax
files9
hs.enc
slot0x1BkeyX.bin
slot0x05KeyY.bin
slot0x11key96.bin
slot0x25keyX.bin

anymore??

No
No
No
No
Yes
Only if you have FBI injected into H&S (that's the encrypted original H&S app)
Last 4: not if you have a full aeskeysdb.bin in /files9 and /gm9/support

Im on gateway 9.2 emunand whats the easiest way to update to 11.2 emunand? If rom what rom and Ive never used 3dsnus.

Ik ik gateway is outdated but I dont use my 3ds much these days im only interested in getting Samus Returns to actually work.

Emunand is really old

Go to 3ds.guide and start from there

Top Bottom