• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

well guys, this is my story.

I've had my slim 2504B for a long time on 3.55 cfw. Last wednesday I ran to update it with Rogero's 4.21 cfw, and it bricked my slim, so I had a talk with some guy I met on a well-known spanish site to unbrick it.

I went to his house a few hours back to fix it, and he did it (a hardware flasher is needed), then I had a small chat with him. He told me he has been installing a different 4.21 CFW named "Monster", this cfw seems to have been kept as a secret for many people, and he suggested me to install it instead of Rogero's, apparently Monster seems to be more stable.

This guy also told me new cfw from newer firmwares are coming pretty soon, so it seems Sony is fucked by now.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow AC3 eboot fix is out. They are really not wasting any time...

If Sony cant plug this exploit, soon their exclusive titles will come "under fire". NiNoKuni is in Jan, and GoW Ascension is in March.

I didn't like Rebug's 3.55 CFW as it seemed unnecessarily bloated and lots of the options were useless (I prefer the minimum amount changed from OFW as possible). Ther enew CFW may be based on 4.30 though so maybe it's worth waiting.
Rebug's CFW was the only one to offer region free DVD playback wasn't it?

test_account

XP-39C²
No it just deleted all my saves and stuffs.
Ah ok.

Wow AC3 eboot fix is out. They are really not wasting any time...

If Sony cant plug this exploit, soon all future PS3 titles will come "under fire".
Fixed :) It is inevitable at this point. Same with Xbox 360 games, once they managed to decrypt and fool the DVD drive to think every disc is legit, there hasnt been a way back. There might be some new security stuff added to the PS3, but it will most likely just delay things at best. I'm very curious to see what will happen.

All things concidered, Sony is lucky this happends this late. Now a lot of people are on OFW 3.60+ and the only solution above this (so far) is hardware based, requiring opening of the PS3, which also limits things. Less people want to open and modify hardware than just doing a software mod. Many new games also have online passes, which also is a small "security" as well (then people cant just pirate the game and get online play for free as well, unless someone finds a way to crack the online pass files).

Surreality

Neo Member
Is it possible to bypass the, douchebag Atlus, region check on P4 Arena with the CFW?

PS3 game region locking is controlled by PARAM.SFO. A small modification in that will allow you you to play the US version in EU territories instead of getting REGION_DENY'd. ;)
My imported copy finally works on my Australian PS3.

Surreality

Neo Member
Team E3 have apparently released their free 4.30CFW. It was pulled early due to issues but now appears to be fixed.

I'll continue running RogerO 4.21CFW until Rebug comes out with their 4.xx release.

Team E3 have apparently released their free 4.30CFW. It was pulled early due to issues but now appears to be fixed.

I'll continue running RogerO 4.21CFW until Rebug comes out with their 4.xx release.

I would never install a cfw from a company who's primary income comes from selling a device that is used to recover bricked consoles from bad fw flashes.

Is there a reason why you go from KMEAW 3.55 to OFW 3.55 to Rogero 4.21? Can you not just go from KMEAW 3.55 to Rogero 4.21?
I went straight from kmeaw to rogero no problems. Not sure why the guide says to revert back to OFW 3.55. May be only if your downgrading. Don't take my word for it though. N.A knows more than me about this stuff.

jediyoshi

Is there a reason why you go from KMEAW 3.55 to OFW 3.55 to Rogero 4.21? Can you not just go from KMEAW 3.55 to Rogero 4.21?

No idea technically, but I imagine it's easier for them to troubleshoot off a stock firmware rather than test the upgrade process jumping off from every 3.55cfw. Probably safer without a bunch of unaccounted for 3.55cfw files lying around or being modified in unaccountable ways.

N.A

Banned

Safety. Upgrading from an untouched firmware is always recommended. Upgrading straight from kmeaw will probably work though.

intheinbetween said:
wow, E3TEAM has released the latest E3 CFW4.30, you can get it at their site, thought it's down at this moment.

As always, wait for stability news and make sure we can downgrade back to 3.55. (Edit: This is now confirmed, you can use the same steps as Rogero. Just waiting for stability news now)

Ok gonna go downgrade at a service shop right now, wish me luck y'all

Good luck!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't suppose somebody has a safe download link for OFW 3.55? I can find it via Google, hosted on file sharing sites (the official download links I've come across no longer work), but I don't want to run the risk of it being buggered in some way.

MMaRsu

Banned
Owww hells yeah!!! I've downgraded my console and now I'm on CFW 4.21!! WOOOHOOOO

Stupid mistake..but thank god I'm back lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
Owww hells yeah!!! I've downgraded my console and now I'm on CFW 4.21!! WOOOHOOOO

Stupid mistake..but thank god I'm back lol.
Cool :) How much did it cost you by the way? Just wondering compared to the other alternative (which would be buying another PS3).

MMaRsu

Banned
Cool :) How much did it cost you by the way? Just wondering compared to the other alternative (which would be buying another PS3).

It was 55 euro's so I thought it was pretty cheap, he had an Xbox 360 setup in a waiting room like area where you could drink coffee and play 360 games. I did some RE5 coop with a friend.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of an issue with this CFW he put on it which I assume is V1.09 Rogero CFW 4.21 BUT the ingame XMB hangs everytime and I cannot quit the game from the XMB.

So what could be up with that? Could I possibly be on the 4.21 v.100 firmware? That seems weird, because that would probably brick this Ps3 right.. Hopefully I can hear something about this soon. In system information it says this : 4.21 [SC-36 | Hermes]. What's that? I didnt know about any Hermes CFW.

Nevertheless, it's great to be back in the club! :D

It was 55 euro's so I thought it was pretty cheap, he had an Xbox 360 setup in a waiting room like area where you could drink coffee and play 360 games. I did some RE5 coop with a friend.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of an issue with this CFW he put on it which I assume is V1.09 Rogero CFW 4.21 BUT the ingame XMB hangs everytime and I cannot quit the game from the XMB.

So what could be up with that? Could I possibly be on the 4.21 v.100 firmware? That seems weird, because that would probably brick this Ps3 right.. Hopefully I can hear something about this soon. In system information it says this : 4.21 [SC-36 | Hermes]. What's that? I didnt know about any Hermes CFW.

That is a problem that happened on v1.00 of Rogero´s firmware but was solved on v1.09, you can easily quit the game by holding the PS button. I´ve never heard of a 4.21 CFW done by Hermes, that is weird.

test_account

XP-39C²

Cool :)
You should be able to downgrade to 3.55 yourself now. If its unstable, it might be worth to downgrade, then update to 1.09 just to be sure.

EDIT: The Hermes stuff is probably just related to which payload that is used concidering that it is written inside the brackets (and i think that SC-36 stands for syscall 36, probably something that the payload uses). I'm not sure why it is mentioned undedr System Information though.

Mine just says 4.21. No Hermes listed there under system information. Sounds like you have version 1.00.

The first Rogero 4.21 firmware only said 4.21 as well. This info is most likely not hard to customize however.
True. But I guess it's safe to say the CFW put on his ps3 has been altered then in some way and isn't the stock rogero firmware.

Just downgrade to 3.55 and then to 1.09 I say.

Vlaphor

Small question. I'm running stock 4.25 on a fat ps3 (with software BC) and I thought I couldn't use any of this CFW stuff until I saw the first part of the custom 4.21 that shows how to revert. Is that just for CFW PS3's, or can I revert as well, then install 4.21cfw?

MMaRsu

Banned
True. But I guess it's safe to say the CFW put on his ps3 has been altered then in some way and isn't the stock rogero firmware.

Just downgrade to 3.55 and then to 1.09 I say.

Well I'm pretty anxious to do anything to the system now, I mean if the system has been downgraded and is now on some weird custom firmware, then how am I supposed to know I can even downgrade to 3.55? Just try it out or what?

Can someone link me to the OFW 3.55 pup?

Jal

Well I'm pretty anxious to do anything to the system now, I mean if the system has been downgraded and is now on some weird custom firmware, then how am I supposed to know I can even downgrade to 3.55? Just try it out or what?

Can someone link me to the OFW 3.55 pup?

Didn't you brick a console on the original round of CFW?

The OFW pup is in N.A.s post above.

In system information it says this : 4.21 [SC-36 | Hermes]. What's that? I didnt know about any Hermes CFW.

It says this when looking at system info via multiman, if you look on the XMB it should say 4.21

Just updated my 80GB phat, Kmeaw > Rogero 4.21 via recovery menu. GT5 2.08 fully up and running :D

I will miss my screenshot app though, I tried that 4.21 resigner on the 1st release but it just locks up the system.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah it probably is rogero v.1.0 then i guess. Not so sure i wanna switch to v1.09d since all my games do work.

Its just no ingame xmb is annoying

Bloodsent

Sounds like Rogero knows why some of the Phat consoles are bricking with the 4.21 v1.09 release, and subsiquently decided to have different FWs for Slims and Phats. Also sounds like he may just start working on 4.30 instead.

Sounds like Rogero knows why some of the Phat consoles are bricking with the 4.21 v1.09 release, and subsiquently decided to have different FWs for Slims and Phats. Also sounds like he may just start working on 4.30 instead.

Damn it, when has it become know that 1.09 bricks Phats?

I have a phat PS3 that I never downgraded. Thought I would be safe installing 1.09 as only the slims ever seem to have any problems

I literally just went from 3.55->4.21 using recovery mode 30 mins ago and my Phat appears to be bricked.

The PS3 turns off, and turns on and lights up like normal, but the screen is always black and it's impossible to put the PS3 into recovery mode.

That means it's bricked right?

Mitama

I'm gonna sit this one out for a while, even Rogero's latest CFW is still causing bricks. I can't wait to play Dark Souls (and DLC) on PSN though, it's gonna be a blast! On that note, are there stable work-arounds to access PSN on the 4.21 CFW?

Mitama

Damn it, when has it become know that 1.09 bricks Phats?

I have a phat PS3 that I never downgraded. Thought I would be safe installing 1.09 as only the slims ever seem to have any problems

I literally just went from 3.55->4.21 using recovery mode 30 mins ago and my Phat appears to be bricked.

The PS3 turns off, and turns on and lights up like normal, but the screen is always black and it's impossible to put the PS3 into recovery mode.

That means it's bricked right?

It's been known since the day of release, it's just not very widespread news. I'd really recommend everyone to wait a while until there's a fully brick proof CFW out there. I never flash a CFW without waiting at least a week to see if there's still people that brick their consoles. If you can't access the recovery mode, I'm pretty sure it's bricked, but don't quote me on that. Hope you can restore it!

Any fixes out there (or any alternative ways to access recovery mode) that don't require a hardware flasher?

Yeah I can't access recovery mode and the screen is black. But the PS3 turns off and on just fine, reads disks fine too, just nothing outputs on the TV.

Crap. I should've waited longer, I mistakely thought v1.09 hasn't caused any bricks.

Jal

Any fixes out there (or any alternative ways to access recovery mode) that don't require a hardware flasher?

Yeah I can't access recovery mode and the screen is black. But the PS3 turns off and on just fine, reads disks fine too, just nothing outputs on the TV.

Crap. I should've waited longer, I mistakely thought v1.09 hasn't caused any bricks.

I bet you've done what we were just talking about and just need a Scart cable to reset your video settings?

If it's the wrong display setting reset it:

Hold down the Power Button for 5-6 seconds - until you hear the second beep.

That's it, your video settings are reset and you should be able to choose your input and configure it from there.

N.A

Banned

As others have mentioned, try connecting via RGB.

Top Bottom