• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Firmware 1.50 Is Up For U.S. Systems (BC Image Quality = Better)

JB1981

Dot50Cal said:
Im not even going to bother, screenshots dont do it justice, its much more notciable in motion. If you want screens go back a few pages.

oh, so it's one of those 'temporal' things then. i see.

Bebpo

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
46" XBR3 , my component video capture card also dis-agrees with you. The image is still blurry in 480i. I posted shots up here a few hours back but a gang of idiots attacked it for no reason. Ill agree that setting it to 480i lessens the blurring compared to the PS3 running non naitve 480p games in 480p but its still there compared to vanilla ps2 480i via component.

I have the same set as JB1981 and switching back and forth between the PS3 and PS2 using identical cables and identical games on the same TV input...they look exactly the same at 480i and I'm a videophile who notices imperfections (see me being the first one to bring up the blur of 480p in this thread last night).

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Yeah! I can finally play games with good graphics. So I finally restarted playing FFXII, I'm kinda weaksauce, and about 6 hours in the game. Is the game a level-up fest all over?? I mean sure gameplay is fun, but 40 minutes of levelling up isn't.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Has Sony backed off on eventually switching to pure emulation?
No. The first step in that direction is closer then you might think.

I was looking forward to it, as it opens up the potential for improved resolution/effects.
Potential for higher resolution, sure, but definately not effects, and definately not likely as a feature for all games.

Stealth

Dot50Cal said:
480i over component looks better than 480p through HDMI (BRIGHTER MEANS BETTER AMIRITE GUYS?)

I posted a pic of the Square Enix logo from FFXII from HDMI 480p and Component 480i and the component definitely looks better on my LCD TV. Dunno what else to tell you.

Vark

Fafalada said:
No. The first step in that direction is closer then you might think.

Potential for higher resolution, sure, but definately not effects, and definately not likely as a feature for all games.

All I want is to be able to play my PS2 games with no blur and full clarity on my HDTV.

Bebpo

Banned
Stealth said:
I posted a pic of the Square Enix logo from FFXII from HDMI 480p and Component 480i and the component definitely looks better on my LCD TV. Dunno what else to tell you.

Yeah, I almost never play my games in progressive on my XBR960. They're much sharper and more detailed in 480i.

Dali

Question: I have a slim PS2 (NA region) and am pondering a PS3 purchase. My understanding is the PS3 is only region-free for PS3 games. There are a lot of PS2 games that I want, but haven't been able to enjoy because they are imports. Should I

A)Purchase a J-PS3?

or

B)Go the more expensive, yet less risky route of, selling my slim PS2, buying a domestic PS3, and maybe buying an import PS2?

Since the PS3 is region-free for PS3 games and the BC is fixed, are there any foreseeable problems with only owning a foreign PS3?

Vark

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I almost never play my games in progressive on my XBR960. They're much sharper and more detailed in 480i.

Thats just... odd. Does that apply to gamecube / Xbox games as well or just PS2 games?

Bebpo

Banned
Vark said:
Thats just... odd. Does that apply to gamecube / Xbox games as well or just PS2 games?

Just PS2 games because of the way they are rendered. Dark10x noticed the same thing and explained it a while back.

But basically on the CRT XBR960, PS2 at 480i looks noticeably sharper and better looking than Xbox games (which look blurry at 480p) in terms of IQ and I didn't play enough GC titles in the last year to make a strong opinion. Zelda Wii definitely looked better in 480i than 480p on this set, which is what I played it. I also play 16:9 games like Zelda at 4:3 to get the most pixels per area, which results in a sharper looking picture.

jett

D-Member
chespace said:
Yup, gorgeous game. It would be awesome if PS3 could fix SotC's framerate too.

I still need to finish SotC. :)

Your backhanded praise of anything Sony is getting pretty tiring, I gotta say.

anddo0

JB1981 said:
Is that an XBR 2?

pics look about as good as anyone should ever expect a PS2 game to look, especially on an HD set. Try 480i over component (if you can). Witness the beauty.

Yeah XBR2

I've been messing around switching between hdmi and component.. I honestly can't see a huge difference; though hdmi does seem brighter and a bit sharper.

I think I'll be playing my PS2 games over hdmi.. I tested games like Silent Hill 2 over hdmi and it looked serviceable, so no need to keep switching between inputs.

Bebpo

Banned
anddo0 said:
Yeah XBR2

I've been messing around switching between hdmi and component.. I honestly can't see a huge difference; though hdmi does seem brighter and a bit sharper.

I think I'll be playing my PS2 games over hdmi.. I tested games like Silent Hill 2 over hdmi and it looked serviceable, so no need to keep switching between inputs.

That's a 1080p LCD right? LCD is fixed pixel so HDMI/Component will both eventually end up at 1080p, so they should look identical.

The only time that someone should use component 480i on PS3 over HDMI 480p is if they are running on a not-fixed-pixel display like a CRT.

ant1532

Banned
When downloading the Update through the PS3 itself it really TAKES FOREVER.

Does anyone go through this?

I just downloaded through the official site and put it to a memory stick.

DCharlie

Banned
But basically on the CRT XBR960, PS2 at 480i looks noticeably sharper and better looking than Xbox games (which look blurry at 480p) in terms of IQ and I didn't play enough GC titles in the last year to make a strong opinion.

is this something particular to the XBR tv?

From my experience with projectors , 480i looks pretty bad on Ps2, with 480p looking great, but the Xbox looked a lot clearer and the GC 480p is just stunning.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Klonoa 2 has an interesting issue...

It works perfectly fine, but the game literally seems to adjust its resolution EVERY SINGLE TIME you move to a new screen. Enter a cave, finish a cutscene, etc. causes the TV to flash for a second and then display its resolution for me. Very odd. Doesn't damage the game or anything, but it makes those cool transitions between doors less so.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
jett said:
Your backhanded praise of anything Sony is getting pretty tiring, I gotta say.

So is your paranoia and cynicism. I have a lot of love for SotC, so **** off.

john tv

Seriously people, get off Che's back. He's no different now than he was two years ago, but now that he works at MS his opinions are suddenly biased?

Happy to ban anyone who wants to keep prodding him on this. Lay off.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
is this something particular to the XBR tv?

From my experience with projectors , 480i looks pretty bad on Ps2, with 480p looking great, but the Xbox looked a lot clearer and the GC 480p is just stunning.

I think it's specific to CRTs with very good image quality, yes. Also keep in mind that CRTs are usually small so things stay sharp (the XBR960 is the largest in the series and it's only 36"). On a huge projecter that's LCD or DLP technology PS2 games will look bad and Xbox/GC games will look a lot better. That's normal.

I chose my HDTV specifically because PS2 games would look fantastic on it, and PS3/X360 HD stuff would look great as well. Since, even a year into the X360 and 3 months into the PS3, the majority of games I'm playing are still on the PS2 (and it looks to continue that way for at least another handful of months).

THANK GOD!

Playing on an LCD HDTV here, and I thought I was going to have to skip Rogue Galaxy, it looked like such poop. Not anymore! Just played the demo and it looks great!

Time to pop in FFXII.

lucius

My sony HS510 crt hd tv is also better running 480i ps2 games on component this has always been the case with this tv although its older than the 960 model. It just handles the source better than me switching progressive scan in games, this is true running them on my PS3 also just sharper and clearer, it looks beautiful.

chespace

Setting up my PS3 now... I love the smell of opening new systems... getting excited. :lol

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I tested a bunch of games:

SF3 Third Strike is perfect now in 480i...in 480p it looks awesome and sharp, but you notice interlacing here and there...the PS3 seems to output each interlaced field as a full frame, but doesn't add anything to the image, which is why you can see the interlaced frames in things like parries or the dust on the ground when a character dashes.

Devil May Cry 3 SE looks awesome. I think it looks better than on PS2 now.

Silent Hill 2 seems perfect.

Metal Slug 5 is perfect.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is as perfect as it ever was on PS2 :)lol)

Castlevania SOTN is slightly less blocky, but still pixelated. I guess forcing 480i to 480p works a lot better than forcing 320x240 to 480p :p

Final Fantasy XII on PS3 HDMI is exactly like PS2 on component now.

Bulla564

Banned
I haven't played Yakuza on PS2, so I don't know what the true issue is here.

I use the HDMI for my 1080p XBR2 and Yakuza looks like a jagged mess. The jaggies are like a bunch of vertical lines, and the image is ugly. Could it be a BC issue?

chespace

Don't have a USB keyboard handy, and yes, setup is retardedly awkward, especially cycling through the numbers for the IP address. But that's behind me now, and I'm waiting............. for the system update.

theBishop

Banned
chespace said:
Don't have a USB keyboard handy, and yes, setup is retardedly awkward, especially cycling through the numbers for the IP address. But that's behind me now, and I'm waiting............. for the system update.

update shouldn't take long. i just did it this afternoon, and it took a little less than 3 minutes.

M3Freak

Banned
I installed the update and popped in GTA:SA. I never tried it before the update so I don't know what it looked like with the last firmware.

Note: PS3 hooked up via HDMI to a Sony SXRD KDSR50XBR1.

- when I'm not moving around, it looks fine. About as good as I remember it on my PS2 and 36XBR250.
- when moving around, I see more jaggies and this weird comb effect. ::cries::
- the game seems to be loading faster, but I'm getting slowdown in areas/sections where there never was any. ::more crying::
- driving around in a fast car doesn't seem fast anymore - everything seems to be moving slower
- cars don't look as good - something about the colour seems to be off.

::cries some more::

Seriously, I don't know what the deal is. I didn't have time to try out more games, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening for that. But, GTA:SA seems to be messed up.

Anyone else experience this?

chespace

theBishop said:
update shouldn't take long. i just did it this afternoon, and it took a little less than 3 minutes.

It's finished now, but for some reason it took almost a half hour to finish downloading. Now it's installing.

SUPER EXCITING BLOW BY BLOW ACCOUNT OF MY PS3 CHERRY GETTING POPPED

theBishop

Banned
chespace said:
It's finished now, but for some reason it took almost a half hour to finish downloading. Now it's installing.

i hope this is going to culminate it a Resistance marathon. Let me know if you want to play tomorrow night.

in the absence of Resistance, you're going to be waiting a lot longer while various essential demos download.

chespace said:

Don't forget to grab Gran Turismo HD :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
chespace said:

Hot. :lol

Anywho, get something else ready to go, while you DL whatever demos and media you want.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
chespace said:

Mine always takes 20 mins to half an hour, and everyone else on gaf's takes a couple of minutes. WTF. My connection is fine. Crackdown demo took about 16 minutes.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Took some pics of SF3 and DMC3. :arr

All pics are through HDMI/DVI cables on a Sony Grand Wega 720p LCD RP TV. TV is set to stretch images to widescreen (no cropping)

SF3:

SF3 Text:

VS Screen:

RYU vs CHUN

RYU vs CHUN 2

RYU vs CHUN 3

MAKOTO vs YUN

MAKOTO vs YUN 2

MAKOTO vs YUN interlace

This pic shows the interlacing you can see occasionally in SF3

Just a pic to show how it looks not stretched:

And DMC3: SE

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Stinkles said:
WTF. My connection is fine
I think it's Karma stuff.
Same reason why guys like DCharlie got PSPs full of badpixels and OMG what not while some of us got perfect screens even from Japanese launch units.

Probably same reason why first install of new Windows always ruins my PC too (I'm not kidding about this one, I've lost more then one HDD to those, and like a sucker I never learn to backup properly).

Stealth

M3Freak said:
I installed the update and popped in GTA:SA. I never tried it before the update so I don't know what it looked like with the last firmware.

Note: PS3 hooked up via HDMI to a Sony SXRD KDSR50XBR1.

- when I'm not moving around, it looks fine. About as good as I remember it on my PS2 and 36XBR250.
- when moving around, I see more jaggies and this weird comb effect. ::cries::
- the game seems to be loading faster, but I'm getting slowdown in areas/sections where there never was any. ::more crying::
- driving around in a fast car doesn't seem fast anymore - everything seems to be moving slower
- cars don't look as good - something about the colour seems to be off.

::cries some more::

Seriously, I don't know what the deal is. I didn't have time to try out more games, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening for that. But, GTA:SA seems to be messed up.

Anyone else experience this?

It's the forced 480p on HDMI. Use component or composite and the extra jaggies/comb filter bit are much less severe. I noticed the exact same thing happening in Okami.

Top Bottom