• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Firmware 1.50 Is Up For U.S. Systems (BC Image Quality = Better)

Yama said:
Did anyone else try entering a 480p enabled title already in the mode? I toggled the in-game progressive scan option in SOTC on and off while in 480p. The scan was nearly non-existant, being that I was already in the mode, but I did notice a slight difference. The in-game 480p seemed a bit sharper than the PS3's forced signal. Any ideas?

All in all I can concur with the majority, with the in-game factor in the middle from my tests: 480i > 480p (in-game) > 480p

Would like someone else to try it as well. And I'm on a Sony 32" CRT over component.

I couldn't see any difference in SotC, I would switch back and forth and it looked near identical, I guess I would say the in game pro scan was a tiny tiny bit better.

Then I tried GoW, major difference. With the PS3 upscaing it was blurry, chaging to pro dramaticaly improved the picture. So I would have to say that if the game has the option of pro scan still use it.

Yama

Someone was asking if you could use transparent gif's for icons, yes you can. They can match the PSN quality if done right. Hopefully it'll be for online soon, here is my evil Tatsuya. :)

XMB1.jpg

...and for 2.0 to bring wallpapers, I mean it's so easy! :lol

XMB2.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I haven't upgraded yet. So what's the consensus? Is PS2 playback finally feasible?

I have two concerns:
1) The fact that the memory card adapter is so stupidly 1-way. Not being able to take newer PS2 saves from the PS3 hdd and dropping it back to real PS2 memory card is a REAL bummer.

2) I currently use my PS2, loaded with an HDD, to install my games, for reduced load times. There is no equivalent to this on the PS3, right?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
My copy of SotC refuses to run now after the update. I just get the little loading thing, it fades away, and nothing :(

I3rand0

Yama said:
Someone was asking if you could use transparent gif's for icons, yes you can. They can match the PSN quality if done right. Hopefully it'll be for online soon, here is my evil Tatsuya. :)

XMB1.jpg

XMB2.jpg

How do you do this? I must've missed this in the update.

JB1981

XMonkey said:
My copy of SotC refuses to run now after the update. I just get the little loading thing, it fades away, and nothing :(

That's happened to me a few times playing God of War. It loads and loads and load forever. I had to quit out and try again and things worked OK after that.

garrickk

I searched this thread and didn't see it, but it should be noted that they made some decent improvements to the browser with this update.

For instance, You Tube works much better now. The movies load reliably and you can access the controls on the Flash player front end. I spent a good amount of time watching some Robot Chicken clips without any issues.

Mejilan said:
I haven't upgraded yet. So what's the consensus? Is PS2 playback finally feasible?

I think so. I mean, everything looks great on my TV at least. I guess I should do some more thorough testing on the weekend but HDMI on my set looks pretty awesome.

That being said (and to address your concerns):
-adapter is still one way
-AFAIK hdloader is still not workable with the PSN hdd driver -_-. Some scattered talk of improved loading but obviously nowhere near the gains compared to the HD on stuff like DQ8.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thanks for the response, CM. I'll continue to wait, I guess. Bears mentioning that I'm using component, not HDMI.

On an SDTV. :D

Yama

I3rand0 said:
How do you do this? I must've missed this in the update.
Simply go to your user icon > triangle > information > click image > toggle Select from (Photo) and select from your list of stored images.

I'm sure you know how to transfer media, but just in case use a memory stick or USB device. Put images under a folder named PHOTO or select Display All.

If you meant the .gif icon, photoshop or any equivalent image editing program. If you need any I can link you or make one.

Bearillusion said:
Have Sony ever spoken about the 720p issue with Bluray? How likely is it that in the future they will allow it?

I heard a rumor that they are working on that next. Don't know how long it is going to take for them to fix it, but I think that would make alot of people quite happy. This firmware update is great. My PS2 games look even better than they did before. Well, maybe the HDMI cable I've bought for it recently is helping a little also.

lachesis

Call me crazy, but I tried out a couple of different way on my TV w/ this new update - and I realized that keeping 480p option on w/ my component isn't that bad looking at all - I mean, it looks sharper and crispier than only 480i turned on. But overall, the image quality looks abit blurry in some cases - but the jaggies are definitely gone. (Konami's WE9, for example) with or w/o 480p turned on PS3.

I've seen someone mentioned that they've not fixed the problem w/ 480p option - but it might be different for each TV I guess.

- I tried out: REZ US, MGS3, Winning Eleven 9 US, Tekken 5 and SotC last night - and I only noticed a minimal difference but slightly sharper edges w/ 480p option turned on.

Aeon712

Yama said:

XMB1.jpg

XMB2.jpg

OK I'm confused, what exactly did you do? Did you find a way to get the PS3 to display ya very own background? If so tell me how please :)

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Aeon712 said:
OK I'm confused, what exactly did you do? Did you find a way to get the PS3 to display ya very own background? If so tell me how please :)

No...come on people...he just was looking at pics and then hit the PS button to pull up the XMB. Doy!

Raistlin

fubarduck said:
Superior deinterlacing algorithms for gaming, such as the ones found on the XRGB2/3 and iScan VPxx instead use a predictive algorithm so that it can display a field while still on the same frame. These algorithms do not buffer frames like most HDTVs and the PS3 do. That's why the PS3 should allow us to display 480i over HDMI (which is totally possible, to whoever said it wasn't up there). Alternately, Sony could implement a better deinterlacing algorithm in a future firmware update, but that would take actual work.

/end edit

While I'd love to see it improve, the PS3 is employing what most TV 'game modes' use for de-interlacing.

Using some sort of predictive de-interlacing is just not realistic. The R&D to do it well is expensive as hell ... and so is the processing speed to do it.

Think of how much your iScan VP50 costs :D

Yama

Anyone else having problems purchasing content from the HK store after the update? Seems the security was increased, keeps telling me invalid credit card now. Come on, I need to play Dino Crisis on the go! :(

fubarduck

Onix said:
While I'd love to see it improve, the PS3 is employing what most TV 'game modes' use for de-interlacing.

Using some sort of predictive de-interlacing is just not realistic. The R&D to do it well is expensive as hell ... and so is the processing speed to do it.

Think of how much your iScan VP50 costs :D

The predictive de-interlacing algorithm in the VP50 is simply an extra in an already feature-rich scaling device.

The XRGB-2 came out 7 years ago, costed $200 at the time of release, and has a perfect predictive de-interlacing algorithm.

It's not hard, and it's been done before. I don't think it would be hard to implement a decade-old technology into a "next-generation" device.

Raistlin

fubarduck said:
The predictive de-interlacing algorithm in the VP50 is simply an extra in an already feature-rich scaling device.

The XRGB-2 came out 7 years ago, costed $200 at the time of release, and has a perfect predictive de-interlacing algorithm.

It's not hard, and it's been done before. I don't think it would be hard to implement a decade-old technology into a "next-generation" device.

The problem is, I'm not sure many of the algorithms employed in previous devices were designed to handle 60fps de-interlacing. Everything they were trying to de-interlace was either movie or video content (24fps and 30fps respectively).

The XRGB-2 is a special case though ... I think it did handle 60fps well?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys, is there *ANY* to play Japanese imports on a US PS3? My friend has a PS3 and we want to play Samurai Spirits Tenka. Especially with the new VF5 stick coming out. Anyway around this?

BuddyC

isamu said:
Guys, is there *ANY* to play Japanese imports on a US PS3? My friend has a PS3 and we want to play Samurai Spirits Tenka. Especially with the new VF5 stick coming out. Anyway around this?
PS3 is region free for PS3 games, so no worries there. However, PS2 and PSOne games, there's no way to circumvent the region coding of a machine . US machines can only play US PS2 games, JP machines can only play JP PS2 game, etc :(

Tabris

I didn't have a chance to reply to this thread when it came up as I was banned, but whoo! I knew it would happen :)

I'm loving this update. I was holding off on doing some final hunts in FFXII cause it was an eye sore before.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
BuddyC said:
PS3 is region free for PS3 games, so no worries there. However, PS2 and PSOne games, there's no way to circumvent the region coding of a machine . US machines can only play US PS2 games, JP machines can only play JP PS2 game, etc :(

That blows. I'm now going to have to buy another MASSYSTEMS stick for PS2 and PC, and then the VF5 Import stick just for VF5. What's even more sucky is the fact that Samurai Spirits Tenka probably looks better running through the PS3 via HDMI than it does through the PS2 via component :(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
isamu said:
That blows. I'm now going to have to buy another MASSYSTEMS stick for PS2 and PC, and then the VF5 Import stick just for VF5. What's even more sucky is the fact that Samurai Spirits Tenka probably looks better running through the PS3 via HDMI than it does through the PS2 via component :(

Stop pretending like you actually play games, gosh.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This thread has gotten too big to read all the way through so I've got a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. I'm really concerned about one game in particular working since it's still my most played game - Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. A big chunk of me getting a PS3 is riding on that one game. I know it sounds crazy, but I like the game that much. Thanks in advance for the help.

1. I've heard only 98% of old games play on PS3. Can anyone verify if NFS:HP2 is compatible?

2. How is the upscaling of PS2 games on HDTVs? I'm really curious how it compares to Xbox 360s upscaling.
a.) Do all playable PS2 games upscale to 720p regardless of whether or not they originally supported progressive scan on PS2?
b.) Does the PS3 convert games into widescreen?
c.) Does the PS3 allow games to stretch to widescreen or are the games that didn't originally support it forced to be displayed in fullscreen? In other words if my tv is set to 16X9 and the game doesn't support it, will it stretch or will I be forced to have black bars on the side?
d.) Does the PS3 add in any extra anti aliasing to minimize jagged edges as the result of being blown up to a higher resolution?

3. Can I transfer game saves to the PS3 hard drive if I buy a PS2 memory card adapter or do I need to keep using my PS2 memory card?

kenta

Has no PEINS
MadOdorMachine said:
1. I've heard only 98% of old games play on PS3. Can anyone verify if NFS:HP2 is compatible?

2. How is the upscaling of PS2 games on HDTVs? I'm really curious how it compares to Xbox 360s upscaling.
a.) Do all playable PS2 games upscale to 720p regardless of whether or not they originally supported progressive scan on PS2?
c.) Does the PS3 allow games to stretch to widescreen or are the games that didn't originally support it forced to be displayed in fullscreen? In other words if my tv is set to 16X9 and the game doesn't support it, will it stretch or will I be forced to have black bars on the side?
d.) Does the PS3 add in any extra anti aliasing to minimize jagged edges as the result of being blown up to a higher resolution?

3. Can I transfer game saves to the PS3 hard drive if I buy a PS2 memory card adapter or do I need to keep using my PS2 memory card?
1. http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

2. It doesn't, the PS3 displays PS2 games as if it were physically a PS2.
a) no
b) no
c) no
d) no

3. Yes

Avalon

MadOdorMachine said:
Thanks. I can't believe it doesn't upscale though. Is Sony working on that?

Maybe. They mentione upscaling games a long time ago... Might be possible when they move onto software emulation.

f@luS

More than a member.
Hi
Just received Sly cooper 3.

All my ps2 games are perfect on PS3 but this one looks weird , like a pre-1.50 BC issue....never played this game on ps2 so i dont know

MadOdorMachine said:
This thread has gotten too big to read all the way through so I've got a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. I'm really concerned about one game in particular working since it's still my most played game - Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. A big chunk of me getting a PS3 is riding on that one game. I know it sounds crazy, but I like the game that much. Thanks in advance for the help.

I never tried my copy of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 on my PS3, but I'll see.

One reason I posted in this thread is because I found one incompatible game which isn't listed on Sony's site. I tested Stella Dues two days ago, and the image was completely off center (Half my TV screen was black, while the other half have the imaged smashed). I just wanted to let people know who only own a PS3 and have considered Stella Dues (if they can find). I was worried my PS3 broke at first, so I put Suikoden Tactics in and it worked.

kenta said:
2. It doesn't, the PS3 displays PS2 games as if it were physically a PS2.

Not quite. On my particular fussy HDTV. PS2 hardware displayed that chewed look on most non-progressive titles identically to my pre-1.5 PS3. Now the image quality is fine. Therefore the PS3 must be doing something with the output that my HDTV likes that my PS2 didn't. No idea what, specifically, though.

Amankhan

Mana Knight said:
One reason I posted in this thread is because I found one incompatible game which isn't listed on Sony's site. I tested Stella Dues two days ago, and the image was completely off center (Half my TV screen was black, while the other half have the imaged smashed). I just wanted to let people know who only own a PS3 and have considered Stella Dues (if they can find). I was worried my PS3 broke at first, so I put Suikoden Tactics in and it worked.

Just tested out my copy of Stella Deus on my PS3, and it looks fine. Running FW1.51, 720p resolution.

RuGalz

Mana Knight said:
I never tried my copy of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 on my PS3, but I'll see.

Were you testing on the TV via HDMI or component? My TV has timing issue with PS3 via HDMI (and unfortunately the crappy Dell TV doesn't have the options to adjust the timing) so the image is shifted to the right for all games and about 10% of the screen is cut off if I use HDMI.

Shawn said:
Ugh -- and this is a good thing how??

PS2 games playing on a physical PS2 on an LCD HDTV look like sh*t.
it's a good thing because they used to look WORSE than playing on a physical ps2 and now they don't.

also, you get the option of playing everything in 480p now, which on an lcd tv should be at least a marginal improvement.

f@luS

More than a member.
Sly 2 & 3 even after upgrading got the same pixel issue as we all had before 1.50.
Weird , those 2 games are the only one with that .....

I dont have a ps2 anymore to test but i dont think it was like that

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
f@luS said:
Sly 2 & 3 even after upgrading got the same pixel issue as we all had before 1.50.
Weird , those 2 games are the only one with that .....

I dont have a ps2 anymore to test but i dont think it was like that
Have you tried Sly 1? I saw no issues with it. The Sly games were field rendered, you must remember.

f@luS

More than a member.
dark10x said:
Have you tried Sly 1? I saw no issues with it. The Sly games were field rendered, you must remember.

yeah , sly 1 is fine thats why i said 2 & 3

Top Bottom