• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

h3ro

FFObsessed said:
So I downloaded the 2.4 firmware and theres awful "?" icons all over the place. I guess the custom themes are gonna have to be updated! :lol

Gonna play Super Stardust HD now :D

Paging m0dus stat!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just wanted to mention that subtitles for videos is NOT a stealth update to this firmware... It was put in in 2.20 I believe. I just know it was previous to this firmware because I came across a video with external subs and found info on how to get the subs to play on the PS3 without having to encode the subs hard onto the video.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
alr1ghtstart said:
And most save files are not tied to a specific PSN ID.
But they will have to be going forward, if everyone keeps clamoring for Trophy support in games now.

Backing up save files may address the issue of being able to restore in the event of a hardware failure/software glitch but it obviously doesn't address all the reasons you might want to download a savegame file from elsewhere.

cedric69

borghe said:
just wanted to mention that subtitles for videos is NOT a stealth update to this firmware... It was put in in 2.20 I believe. I just know it was previous to this firmware because I came across a video with external subs and found info on how to get the subs to play on the PS3 without having to encode the subs hard onto the video.
Link? I wonder why, at this point, they're not directly supporting MKVs and calling it quits.

Firewire

Banned
Just got home, and just found out about 2.4!

Can't wait to download it, anyways I read the OP and skimmed the thread, what is everyone complaining about? Seems there are issues with save files & trophies or something?

Firewire said:
Just got home, and just found out about 2.4!

Can't wait to download it, anyways I read the OP and skimmed the thread, what is everyone complaining about? Seems there are issues with save files & trophies or something?
The only complaining going on is that some people were expecting all games to be compatible with Trophies right away.

The problem related to Saves is that games that didn't lock the saves to the PSN account can't be patched to accept your already completed achievements. The game would have to be patched so that Saves from then on would be locked, and you'd have to regain the accomplishments.

Pallaris

Anyone know how to bring up the new music player? (i'm not seeing the icon that was shown on the video walkthrough). Also, seems the store now takes a second or so longer to load (from the moment you press the button to the...*bling* sound..nothing major)

tanod

when is my burrito
kaching said:
But they will have to be going forward, if everyone keeps clamoring for Trophy support in games now.

Backing up save files may address the issue of being able to restore in the event of a hardware failure/software glitch but it obviously doesn't address all the reasons you might want to download a savegame file from elsewhere.

Here's a thought: I don't think Trophies have anything to do with save files. I think they are recorded somewhere on the OS level when you get them and then they sync up to PSN when they upload.

If a developer does want to give out retroactive trophies, they are probably required to have the save locked at the time of the original release (Burnout), or the trophies have to be based on stats that are kept on a server and not kept in a save file (War Hawk).

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so, does anyone have a list over what games that have been patched with trophies and custom soundtrack? god damn, postin' from my ps3 is a hassle... -_-

Husker86

kaching said:

Why would they have to be if you cannot get trophies from just loading a save file?

Firewire

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
The only complaining going on is that some people were expecting all games to be compatible with Trophies right away.

The problem related to Saves is that games that didn't lock the saves to the PSN account can't be patched to accept your already completed achievements. The game would have to be patched so that Saves from then on would be locked, and you'd have to regain the accomplishments.

Thanks for clearing that up! No big deal for me at all, if I really want trophies for some of the older games that have the save issue, I'll just replay them eventually. Seems like various sites are saying the in-game XMB runs very well, can't wait to try it out latter tonight.

faust666

tanod said:
Here's a thought: I don't think Trophies have anything to do with save files. I think they are recorded somewhere on the OS level when you get them and then they sync up to PSN when they upload.

How would they get around downloading a saved game that was "inches" away from getting a trophy, and the having the downloader just get the "1 more kill" or whatever the goal was?

bryehn

Husker86 said:
Why would they have to be if you cannot get trophies from just loading a save file?

Probably can't get trophies from (most) save files because they aren't tied to your PSN ID. Chicken and egg type thing.

Obviously it's possible though if Burnout's doing it. I have a feeling trophies will be tied to that game's existing set of 60 "accomplishments".

Ranger X

tanod said:

If a developer does want to give out retroactive trophies, they are probably required to have the save locked at the time of the original release (Burnout), or the trophies have to be based on stats that are kept on a server and not kept in a save file (War Hawk).

I posted that earlier. I really doubt saves will have anything to do with Trophy. They probably are in the game data files.

Lince

Banned
sorry mods for being lazy and all but I can't read the whole thread right now... what's the status for Uncharted and Devil May Cry 4 trophies? thanks guys

faust666

kaching said:

^this

I didn't even want to touch upon the people who might want to download a game save because the lack the skill/time but want to experience what more the game has to offer because I know the way GAF is about gaming being fun.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
MS did it right by forcing all devs to support custom soundtracks. I don't see why Sony couldn't have included it in their spec and then just stubbed it off, so when the feature did finally arrive - it would seamlessly work.

hirokazu

borghe said:
You're right, but the support you mention is limited to DivX subtitles in the video file. The PS3 has no support for external subtitle files whatsoeve. The methods to get subtitles in the video require on-the-fly transcoding, which has nothing to do with the PS3's subtitle capabilities.

Moray

Dr_Cogent said:
MS did it right by forcing all devs to support custom soundtracks. I don't see why Sony couldn't have included it in their spec and then just stubbed it off, so when the feature did finally arrive - it would seamlessly work.

It's because their initial OS was horribly inefficient with memory usage--there wasn't any room to spare. Since then they've been able to cut down on the amount of memory everything requires, giving them more space to add additional features.

Crisis

Banned
Jim said:
Since everyone else is whining about little issues, let me toss in mine: I hate that the Sixaxis battery/charge icon overlays my precious XMB clock for a second :lol

Oh, and they need to change the friend notification to "X Friends Online" if there are more than a few.

I think I spent more time messaging people than playing games.

I agree with everything you said there except I sliiiiightly disagree with "X Friends Online". The way it works now is that it tries to load up all my friends at once like normal. If they replaced it with a hierarchical Friends List menu instead then it would be convenient to overview the Friends List category of the XMB (Less stuff to load) which is beneficial only if you're doing something like checking the trophies. If you're actually going to check your friends list it would end up taking even longer. :lol I think the setup right now in terms of the hierarchical structure of the XMB is just about right.

Aside from that they should move either the date/time over to the left or the battery indicator icon to the left. And I totally spent more time dicking around and sending messages in SSHD.

Tideas

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

they could force it cuz they had a patent out for it. Sony don't. big difference

megateto

borghe said:
I just know it was previous to this firmware because I came across a video with external subs and found info on how to get the subs to play on the PS3 without having to encode the subs hard onto the video.

Are you talking about the kind of stuff Goldrusher mentioned before?

Goldrusher said:
Subtitles have been supported for quite some time now. Only in .divx files though, try one of these (free) programs to "merge" an avi and a subtitle file to a divx file, only takes a few minutes:

http://www.calcitapp.com/getaviaddxsubs.php
http://userxp.tripod.com/sub2divx.htm
http://labs.divx.com/files/support/setupDivXMuxWizz.exe

Tntnnbltn

Brobzoid said:
so, does anyone have a list over what games that have been patched with trophies and custom soundtrack? god damn, postin' from my ps3 is a hassle... -_-
OP says it all.

Custom soundtracks:
- None

Trophies:
- Super Stardust HD (with 4.00 patch)

Tntnnbltn said:
OP says it all.

Custom soundtracks:
- None

Trophies:
- Super Stardust HD (with 4.00 patch)

I don't understand what happened to the custom soundtracks. In the video demos I recall seeing him start PJM, turn off the BGM manually, then just go and start playing some music in the XMB. It appeared that it wouldn't require any patches to do at least this much.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Pallaris said:
Anyone know how to bring up the new music player? (i'm not seeing the icon that was shown on the video walkthrough). Also, seems the store now takes a second or so longer to load (from the moment you press the button to the...*bling* sound..nothing major)
You have to start a song, then go the the very top of the music list.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I don't understand what happened to the custom soundtracks. In the video demos I recall seeing him start PJM, turn off the BGM manually, then just go and start playing some music in the XMB. It appeared that it wouldn't require any patches to do at least this much.

that was a modified Monster version for demonstration purpose only. i read it somewhere.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DMPrince said:
that was a modified Monster version for demonstration purpose only. i read it somewhere.

HAHAH!

Nothing supports it. Unbelievable. I wonder how much they pushed this with developers before this was released.

No_Style

ScrabbleBanshee said:

I forgot who, but someone said that video was running a different version of the firmware or PJM. Anyways, unless someone corrects me, I'm assuming the Microsoft patent is preventing system wide custom soundtracks.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Two things:

1.) How in the world could a patent be applied to custom soundtracks? Smart move from a business perspective I guess, but still an asshole move by MS.

2.) I was under the impression that because Rockstar paid so much in licensing fees to acquire songs for GTAIV that custom soundtracks on the 360 would not be allowed. Am I mistaken?

hirokazu

Fafalada said:
Afaik it's just game dependant. Overlaying the XMB would have a small GPU performance overhead, and depending on the game, there may be enough headroom left to avoid slowdown. IIRC 360 dashboard behaves similar too, just slowdown being more noticeable.

OS has no way of "forcing" a game to pause (as in, actually entering in-game pause menu), but games do have the option to detect PS button press and pause when it's pressed.
It does appear to stop at least some games. For example, I pressed the PS button during the Konami logo in MGS4 Database and it stayed there until I returned to the game. Unless the game also did that with the old menu you get when you pressed the PS button.

I guess maybe it just doesn't whatever the game used to do when you press the PS button, some game stop running, some games enter the Pause/Menu screen, and some games just keep on running.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Any reason why the trophies are not added to your gamer card in real time ?, it seems you have to actually go and view your trophy collection first to sync them with your gamer card ?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Topher said:
T2.) I was under the impression that because Rockstar paid so much in licensing fees to acquire songs for GTAIV that custom soundtracks on the 360 would not be allowed. Am I mistaken?

MS mandates ALL games support custom soundtracks.

Jim

Crisis said:
I agree with everything you said there except I sliiiiightly disagree with "X Friends Online". The way it works now is that it tries to load up all my friends at once like normal.

Oh, I just mean the notification of friends being online, not the actual menu hierarchy.
It must have taken 30+ seconds to cycle through the 30+ friends online, every time I reconnected or started up last night. If more than 5 or so, they should just group the notification.

Crisis

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Any reason why the trophies are not added to your gamer card in real time ?, it seems you have to actually go and view your trophy collection first to sync them with your gamer card ?

To view them on your friends list and account it seems as if it's tied to PSN rather than the system itself.

Jim said:
Oh, I just mean the notification of friends being online, not the actual menu hierarchy.
It must have taken 30+ seconds to cycle through the 30+ friends online, every time I reconnected or started up last night. If more than 5 or so, they should just group the notification.

Oh. That makes sense then.

Moray

Topher said:
1.) How in the world could a patent be applied to custom soundtracks? Smart move from a business perspective I guess, but still an asshole move by MS.

Patents are often used to protect unique features in products. Don't call MS assholes, instead be mad at Sony for not licensing it or finding a better workaround. Or be mad at the patent system in general.

RuGalz

hirokazu said:
It does appear to stop at least some games. For example, I pressed the PS button during the Konami logo in MGS4 Database and it stayed there until I returned to the game. Unless the game also did that with the old menu you get when you pressed the PS button.

I guess maybe it just doesn't whatever the game used to do when you press the PS button, some game stop running, some games enter the Pause/Menu screen, and some games just keep on running.

MGS4 pauses whenever you press PS button, period. The XMB doesn't pause games it's just an overlay.

Tntnnbltn

dallow_bg said:
They have the dev kit version of the FW which forces your music on the game.

Can't add that to the public FW as it would infringe on the patent.
That's my understanding of it too. Good news is it shouldn't take much effort at all for devs to implement now. Previously they had to build a whole interface for it like Super Stardust HD did. Now I assume they just have to allow the OS to play music from the XMB.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I think they need to add a clock icon near the clock/date numbers. It would make it somewhat cooler. As it is now, it just looks like random numbers tossed there.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
megateto said:
Are you talking about the kind of stuff Goldrusher mentioned before?
yes.. no transcoding or anything required. All it does is grabs the video and audio streams from an AVI and sticks them along with the encoded subtitle streams into a DivX container. I have had some issues getting the PS3 (more likely WMP11 actually) recognizing the .divx file, but it seems if you rename the file back to .avi WMP11 sees it just fine and the PS3 plays it just fine.

The PS Blog says I believe 2.20 all I know was that I could watch my Japanese gore slasher flick with soft subtitles on 2.36.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Topher said:
Two things:

2.) I was under the impression that because Rockstar paid so much in licensing fees to acquire songs for GTAIV that custom soundtracks on the 360 would not be allowed. Am I mistaken?

Vice City supported custom soundtracks on xbox 1, they've been doing this feature since last gen. The custom soundtracks still work in gta4 on 360, just not as a radio station like on xbox 1.

Stop complaining about trophy support, it will come...at least you got the in game messaging which is a very nice feature, especially when I'm playing a single player game and i can just pause the game and not have to quit the game...this was especially a pain in assassins creed.

I just wish they patched ratchet and clank future with trophy support, I'd love to replay that again.

megateto

Thanks. I knew about the subtitle addition in 2.20, but never really bothered to look into it much.

I just tried to add an .srt file to a video and my PS3 played it all the way.

hirokazu

Gremmie4 said:
I think he does have a fair point though about retroactive trophies. I have beat MGS4 twice in the last few weeks, and am about to beat it a third time. If I have to replay those runs to unlock trophies I should have already earned, I'll be disappointed. Obviously Sony knew they were doing trophies, and they probably knew they would be linked to your PSN ID a while ago. Sony should have been on all the devs asses making sure they were locking their save files to PSN id's, that way once the trophy system did come out, games could be relatively easily patched to reward people for stuff they have already done.

Now, with that all said, I'm hoping Sony done exactly that. Burnout was released a while ago, and it is retroactively rewarding players. So hopefully Sony was telling devs a while ago to lock their saves to PSN id's so this transition can be easier.
Well MGS4 saves seem to record the PS3 system it was made on, as evidenced by the MGS4 Database, so I think they could patch it some parts of it rather easily for retroactive trophies, though maybe not all.

I think the more interesting issue is why so many of you are expecting trophies to come to MGS4 at all. As far as I know, we have not heard either way, so I'm just going to believe it's not coming until there is official word on it. Same goes for most other games released so far which haven't had trophy updates confirmed.

tanod

when is my burrito
Dr_Cogent said:
HAHAH!

Nothing supports it. Unbelievable. I wonder how much they pushed this with developers before this was released.

That's incorrect. There are a number of games that support custom soundtracks. It's just different than what Sony opened up to developers in 2.4.

High Velocity Bowling, PAIN, Super Stardust HD are just a couple examples of games that already have it.

The main difference between pre 2.4 and now is that the custom soundtracks can be changed at any time and that using custom soundtracks with the FW2.4 solution is system-resource-free. Before, it costed devs some memory.

Nisa65

2.4 has seemingly bricked my machine, all I get is a blank screen and no sound, my Six Axis wont sync with the machine now either.

Are there any solutions out there?, I can't send it back to Sony because not only is it out of warranty but it's also an import from The States.

Top Bottom