• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

Ulairi

Banned
The Chef said:
I want Uncharted trophies now!!!!

Have they made any announcements for Uncharted? I got it with MSG4 when I picked up the PS3 and I want to play but I don't want to lose out on trophies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nisa65 said:
2.4 has seemingly bricked my machine, all I get is a blank screen and no sound, my Six Axis wont sync with the machine now either.

Are there any solutions out there?, I can't send it back to Sony because not only is it out of warranty but it's also an import from The States.

Boot the PS3 up pressing the power button until it beeps loudly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ulairi said:
Have they made any announcements for Uncharted? I got it with MSG4 when I picked up the PS3 and I want to play but I don't want to lose out on trophies.

According to MCV, ND has said there'll be a trophy patch for Uncharted. Not sure if it's retroactive or not.

Nisa65 said:
2.4 has seemingly bricked my machine, all I get is a blank screen and no sound, my Six Axis wont sync with the machine now either.

Are there any solutions out there?, I can't send it back to Sony because not only is it out of warranty but it's also an import from The States.

You seem awfully calm about this. Did you try turning it off and on with the hard switch, and holding down the power button on the console until it beeps a few times and starts up?

Guy Legend

Nisa65 said:

I read on another forum someone with the same problem removed the hard drive and put it in another PS3 so it got re-formatted. They put their hard drive back in their own PS3 and it worked again. I'm guessing the OS got corrupt and if you can re-format it, it should work.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Hmmm....

I know it was mentioned before, but I can't seem to find the area where you edit your profile (ala: about me and languages)

j-wood

My thoughts on 2.4:

-In-Game XMB is cool, glad we have it. It's really nice to be able to interact with friends while in game. That said, I do wish the overlay was locked at 60fps, instead of whatever fps the current game is. For example, in HSG, using XMB is kinda laggy. Not awful, but you can just definitely tell it's moving half-speed. On the otherhand, using XMB in SSDHD, the XMB is at full speed, and using it is just like using it while not in a game.

-Trophies are going to be really fun, especially when more games support them. It combines really well with in-game XMB, so you can go check out what you have to do to get a specific trophy while in game. (Does anyone else have the problem of a question mark showing up for the trophy icon while at the normal OS screen? If I do in-game XMB, it's actually a trophy, but otherwise it's a ?).

-Clock is cool.

-Custom soundtracks...hmm. It's cool that we "officially" have the feature now. But aren't we in the same boat as before in this area? Sony has repeatedly said in the past, "Custom soundtracks have always been available, it's just up to the developer." And that's evident, as we have had custom soundtracks for SSDHD for awhile now. So if they soundtracks have always been available, but up to the developer, which is the exact same way it is now, why exactly did this update do for it?

With all that said, awesome update.

Nisa65

Guy Legend said:
I read on another forum someone with the same problem removed the hard drive and put it in another PS3 so it got re-formatted. They put their hard drive back in their own PS3 and it worked again. I'm guessing the OS got corrupt and if you can re-format it, it should work.

Cheers, shall try that later with my mate's HDD.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
g35twinturbo said:
Hmmm....

I know it was mentioned before, but I can't seem to find the area where you edit your profile (ala: about me and languages)

Account management

DarkJC

(Does anyone else have the problem of a question mark showing up for the trophy icon while at the normal OS screen? If I do in-game XMB, it's actually a trophy, but otherwise it's a ?).

Custom themes are missing the trophy icon.

Oni Jazar

j-wood said:
(Does anyone else have the problem of a question mark showing up for the trophy icon while at the normal OS screen? If I do in-game XMB, it's actually a trophy, but otherwise it's a ?).

You have a custom theme that does not have a custom trophy icon.

Tntnnbltn

j-wood said:
Previously released custom themes don't have an icon made up for Trophies. In-game it reverts back to the default Trophy icon.

j-wood said:
So if they soundtracks have always been available, but up to the developer, which is the exact same way it is now, why exactly did this update do for it?
Less system resources required to run custom soundtracks + devs don't need to program an interface for song selection, etc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
j-wood said:
-Custom soundtracks...hmm. It's cool that we "officially" have the feature now. But aren't we in the same boat as before in this area? Sony has repeatedly said in the past, "Custom soundtracks have always been available, it's just up to the developer." And that's evident, as we have had custom soundtracks for SSDHD for awhile now. So if they soundtracks have always been available, but up to the developer, which is the exact same way it is now, why exactly did this update do for it?

Allows devs to add it without dedicating resources to it. Basically, it doesn't need any effort now.

cameltoe

Wax Free Vanilla said:
yes it works, the game will pause, messaging works and i want a patch for custom soundtracks.

Dont hold your breath....IW said they would not patch in DS support so....you will not see CS with COD 4

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
WTF !!!, you can't disable the clock lol, even my 5 year old cell phone has this option, very annoying indeed.

The Chef

Ulairi said:

nofi said:
list here.
Summer
Buzz: Quiz TV: will reportedly be patched on launch, Friday 4th.
Super Stardust HD: Patched.
Pain: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
PixelJunk Eden: Will launch with Trophies.
Uncharted: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
NovaStrike: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.

Autumn
Warhawk: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
Burnout Paradise: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
Resistance 2: Will launch with Trophies.
MotorStorm 2: Will launch with Trophies.
fl0w: Apparently up for debate.

Winter
SOCOM: Will launch with Trophies.
LittleBigPlanet: Will launch with Trophies.
BioShock: Will Apparently launch with Trophies.

This summer apparently

j-wood

JB1981 said:
XMB is great but it's quite laggy and the framerate is like 15 fps. :(

The XMB defaults to whatever FPS the game you are playing has. Go use in a game like SSDHD, it's the full 60 fps and just like you use it normally.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
JB1981 said:

edit: I see what you mean. I tried it at the SSD HD high score screen (moving objects in background).

Hey its better then nothing right?

tanod

when is my burrito
JB1981 said:

Actually TTP said that it might have something to do with the PS3 OS forcing a game to pause whatever it is doing when it brings up the XMB. He said if you pause before you go to the XMB, it runs at normal speed.

burgerdog

Nisa65 said:

Woops, way late. I thought your post was the latest one.

lowrider007

so_awes said:
yea i know! i'm selling my 60gb ps3 tomorrow.

I know this sounds childish but I'll be half tempted to sell my PS3 if they don't offer the option to disable it, I hate clocks, I never wear a watch, I have them in my house but I don't like them being forced upon me, I play game to escape from reality, I don't want be reminded that my enjoyment on my console is limited by a time schedule, it's takes the fun away from gaming.

JB1981

j-wood said:
The XMB defaults to whatever FPS the game you are playing has. Go use in a game like SSDHD, it's the full 60 fps and just like you use it normally.

interesting i was using while playing BF: Bad Company - i guess that game is to blame (terrible framerate)

and wow @ lowrider lol lol

DarkJC

tanod said:
Actually TTP said that it might have something to do with the PS3 OS forcing a game to pause whatever it is doing when it brings up the XMB. He said if you pause before you go to the XMB, it runs at normal speed.

The problem with this notion is that it doesn't force it to pause. Some games don't pause, some do (depending on how they're programmed), but it shouldn't be any different than hitting the start button to pause because it's just triggering the "pause" code in the game.

Edit: But what has been verified is that the XMB is rendered at the same FPS as the game, so if the game is running slow the XMB will too.

I know this sounds childish but I'll be half tempted to sell my PS3 if they don't offer the option to disable it, I hate clocks, I never wear a watch, I have them in my house but I don't like them being forced upon me, I play game to escape from reality, I don't want be reminded that my enjoyment on my console is limited by a time schedule, it's takes the fun away from gaming.

wow...

RuGalz

Cruzader said:
Can someone add this to the OP???

-2.40 brings better Codec support

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=150079

Thanx to PS3forum users for the find.

Also not sure if old but, MKV support coming on future update?

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?p=3031717#post3031717

Hmm divx 7 to support mkv...

tanod said:

XMB is simply an overlay on top of the game so if the game runs fast the XMB will be smooth. If the game is running faster when it is paused, so will the XMB. Same thing with X360.

hirokazu

lowrider007 said:
Set the time on your console to Japan Time or some other convoluted time from the future so that it has no relevance to you at all.

Cruzader said:
Can someone add this to the OP???

-2.40 brings better Codec support

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=150079

Thanx to PS3forum users for the find.

Also not sure if old but, MKV support coming on future update?

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?p=3031717#post3031717
That's cool, but I think it's rather pointless when it's so vague, it doesn't reassure me of anything when the say better codec support. Which codec? What circumstances?

I don't expect the PS3 to ever get MKV support because it's not really widely recognised, whereas all the rest of the formats it supports are well known standards and such, but it would be really freaking cool if they could have MKV support implemented in order to comply with a future DivX standard.

When is this new DivX expected to hit?

tanod

when is my burrito
DarkJC said:
The problem with this notion is that it doesn't force it to pause. Some games don't pause, some do (depending on how they're programmed), but it shouldn't be any different than hitting the start button to pause because it's just triggering the "pause" code in the game.

You sure about that. I haven't heard of any game that keeps going when the in-game XMB is up. Even the loading screens in MGS4 stop.

lowrider007

hirokazu said:
Set the time on your console to Japan Time or some other convoluted time from the future so that it has no relevance to you at all.

Of course, that will do for now, cheers mate.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
FFObsessed said:
So I downloaded the 2.4 firmware and theres awful "?" icons all over the place. I guess the custom themes are gonna have to be updated! :lol

Gonna play Super Stardust HD now :D

Does anyone know wher you can find the new icon names for updating custom themes?

burgerdog

tanod said:

That's not true, even if you pause the game it runs at a lower speed. I just tried it with MGS4; hitting the PS button will pause the game and the xmb will be slow, pausing the game and hitting the PS button will cause the xmb to run at the same speed as before. Either way, I'd rather have this slow xmb than no xmb at all.

Zoe

tanod said:
You sure about that. I haven't heard of any game that keeps going when the in-game XMB is up. Even the loading screens in MGS4 stop.

Can't check now, but I'm pretty sure Mainichi Issho kept going when I was trying it out.

lowrider007 said:

Why don't you hold your breath and stomp your feet until they change it?

pr0cs

It seems a bit presumptuous to figure because Divx7 supports MKV that the PS3 will, whos to say they'll ever go beyond the version they support now?

And the improved media support comment is silly, the guy hasn't a clue what format his video is in and likely hadn't tried the video recently.

I hope the did improve media playback though, I have a bunch of wmv files that the PS3 simply won't play where they play fine on the 360. I'd rather use just one machine for all media playback and right now I can't.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
pr0cs said:
It seems a bit presumptuous to figure because Divx7 supports MKV that the PS3 will, whos to say they'll ever go beyond the version they support now?
depends on how far the divx certification goes. Remember, the PS3 isn't just a machine that happens to play DivX files. It is actually DivX Certified.

SRG01

tanod said:

Like the preview video said, GT5:p keeps on going.

To the best of my knowledge, so does Rock Band.

hirokazu

Zoe said:
Can't check now, but I'm pretty sure Mainichi Issho kept going when I was trying it out.
Yes, and it keeps going on the old firmware too. It all depends on what developers programmed their games to do when the PS button is pressed.

Top Bottom