• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 3.21 (The Penguin Killing Firmware) is out

TTP said:
But they do usually show a change log of sorts. That was my point. You said they never do it. Which is false.

Well, let me give you an example. Sometimes they'll release an update and throw in "improved compatibility/stability of some Playstation 3 software" (or something to that effect), but they never say how they improved compatibility or what games are effected. That's what I mean by details.

Prezhulio

sigh, it's some bullshit, but i really don't have a choice if i want to play online or new games.
wish i could get my 10gb back without a format as well :/

Agent X

TTP said:
They ALWAYS do. Even if it's just "Improved stability" crap. This is exception.

Oh, goodie. I've always feared that my PS3 might want to jump up and topple off the table.

In all seriousness, here's the notification that you get after you download over PSN, but before you proceed with the installation:

IMPORTANT: If you update the PS3™ system by installing this system software, you will not be able to use an "Other OS". Carefully read the following information before choosing to update the PS3™ system.

An "Other OS" is an operating system that runs on the PS3™ system, such as Linux.
If you do not use an "Other OS" and do not plan to use one, then go ahead with the update.
If you do use an "Other OS" or might use one in the future, carefully read the following information before cancelling the update.

*Impact of installing this system software update
If you install this system software update, you will not be able to use an "Other OS". You will also not be able to use the data and hard disk partitions used by an "Other OS". Furthermore, the following menus related to an "Other OS" will be deleted.
•[Settings] > [System Settings] > [Install Other OS]
•[Settings] > [System Settings] > [Default System] (displayed only when an "Other OS" is installed)
If you are using an "Other OS", it is recommended that you perform the following steps before installing this update.
•Back up all date used by an "Other OS" and by the PS3™ system software to storage media.
•Go to [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Format Utility], select [Use All for the PS3™ System] and then format the hard disk installed in this system.
*Impact of using an "Other OS" without performing this update
If you do not update this system, you will not be able to do the following things from now on.
•Sign in to PlayStation®Network
•Use features that require you to be signed in to PlayStation®Network (such as chat features and the online features of PlayStation®3 format software)
•Use PlayStation®3 format software and Blu-ray Disc video titles that require system software version 3.21 or later
•Use new features and performance improvements provided with system software version 3.21 or later
•Use copyright-protected video on media servers after the DTCP-IP key is renewed (If DTCP-IP is enabled under [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Enable DTCP-IP])

Hints: How to check the usage status of an "Other OS"
If you do not know whether you have used an "Other OS", cancel the update and then check if [Default System] is displayed under [Settings] > [System Settings]. If [Default System] is displayed, an "Other OS" has been used.

Ranger X

youta said:
I asked this before, but no clear answers:

I don't use the PSN, and there's a very nice library of games already which will keep me occupied for a long, long time, so I'll just update to 3.15 and be done with it.

However, if I were to buy a game and it requires a firmware update, can I return it? Is there any way to tell what firmware version does a game need so I can check before I purchase it?

Also, am I right to assume that Blu-ray discs will continue to play, albeit without the latest and greatest "features"? I'm basing this assumption on the fact that other, non-upgradeable BD players should still be able to play the newer discs...

No. It's not written on the box if the game needs X firmware to work. However, it's possible the update is on the disk (I know that for PSP it's on the disk most of the time).
And no it's not a reason for a store to refund you since you can simply update your PS3 and play.

Lastly, movies will also require this update sooner or later.
Long story short, you should just update and call it a day.

GSG Flash said:
It doesn't matter if I use it or not, it's still a downgrade and a removal of a feature I paid for.

And as a matter of fact, I did have plans of installing Linux on the PS3 once this gen was over.

so will get the new firmware in a few months that adds 3D?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
This update has zero effect on 98% of users. Not worth making a big stink about.

Let's all finish downloading and play some BC2 already.

Fox Mulder

Agent X said:
I'm downloading now, but apart from the removal of the OtherOS option, are there any actual enhancements that anyone would give a darn about?

they wanted the first firmware upgrade in months to be special all on its own.

Brofist

bernardobri said:
All this anti-piracy ensuring issue makes me wonder if they will reintegrate the OtherOS function in a later revision when they make the function stable and uncrackable.

I highly doubt it will return in any form. At launch it was obviously a bullet point used to try and justify the high launch price. They have no incentive now to want to support it.

EekTheKat

Weird, the little download/upload speed test under Internet Connection Test seems to be gone after this update? Least it doesn't seem to be under Internet Connection Test anymore on my Slim.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Do people really cared that much about Linux on PS3? how many people ended up using that feature regularly? it always seemed like a very niche feature to have in my opinion, still it sucks that they are removing it nonetheless.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bernardobri said:
All this anti-piracy ensuring issue makes me wonder if they will reintegrate the OtherOS function in a later revision when they make the function stable and uncrackable.

OH BOY! NERFING LINUX EVEN MORE TO WHERE IT'S EVEN MORE USELESS THAN IT WAS!

Full hardware with the hypervisor preventing piracy or bust.

Schrade

Gexecuter said:
Do people really cared that much about Linux on PS3? how many people ended up using that feature regularly? it always seemed like a very niche feature to have in my opinion, still it sucks that they are removing it nonetheless.
Read the other thread to see. Go search for all the different PS3 Linux forums too. People cared. People used it. Quit asking stupid questions and just look around.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Agent X said:
Oh, goodie. I've always feared that my PS3 might want to jump up and topple off the table.

In all seriousness, here's the notification that you get after you download over PSN, but before you proceed with the installation:
Added it to the OP, thanks.
BoboBrazil said:
According to geohot from about an hour ago, he is releasing cfw tomorrow to update and still keep otheros installed:)
I highly, highly fucking doubt that.

JardeL

BoboBrazil said:
According to geohot from about an hour ago, he is releasing cfw tomorrow to update and still keep otheros installed:)
You can bypass firmware check , so no need for a CFW for now. :D

OtherOS 1 - 0 Sony

also here is this to try

lfc [Moderator] 0 minutes ago
--------GUIDE ON HOW TO BYPASS THE FIRMWARE UPDATE BUT STILL PLAY ONLINE--------

*posted by me on *************

so far so good! LOGAN5's tool works great. im signed into PSN and it didnt ask me to update.. people had trouble with games but ill give a game a shot now, friends list, PSstore and all that works fine tho
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?mqizylznw2u
________________________________________________________________________________
run the LG5tool exe
click on the frimware update box so its checked
then click start proxy it will show you ur ip adress
go to ps3 and click network settings
click on internet connection settings
click on the custom method
click wireless or wired (what ever you are using)
#wireless only: click scan
#select ur wireless conection (ssid)
# confirm ur ssid(network name)
#select your security settings and fill out ur password and ursername
click automatic for "ip adress settings"
click do not set for "DHCP hst name"
click automatic for "dns settings"
click auto matic for "mtu"
click use for "proxy server"
type in your ip adress that shows in LG5tool itll be somthing like "192.168.x.xxx" (the x are numbers that are diffrent for every one for example mine is 192.168.1.110)
click enable for "upnp"
then test your conection
________________________________________________________________________________
REMEMBER TO UNCHECK THE FIRMWARE UPDATE BOX

Fox Mulder

BoboBrazil said:

that literally makes no sense, but more power to him..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BoboBrazil said:
also here is this to try

lfc [Moderator] 0 minutes ago
--------GUIDE ON HOW TO BYPASS THE FIRMWARE UPDATE BUT STILL PLAY ONLINE--------

*posted by me on *************

so far so good! LOGAN5's tool works great. im signed into PSN and it didnt ask me to update.. people had trouble with games but ill give a game a shot now, friends list, PSstore and all that works fine tho
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?mqizylznw2u
run the LG5tool exe
click on the frimware update box so its checked
then click start proxy it will show you ur ip adress
go to ps3 and click network settings
click on internet connection settings
click on the custom method
click wireless or wired (what ever you are using)
#wireless only: click scan
#select ur wireless conection (ssid)
# confirm ur ssid(network name)
#select your security settings and fill out ur password and ursername
click automatic for "ip adress settings"
click do not set for "DHCP hst name"
click automatic for "dns settings"
click auto matic for "mtu"
click use for "proxy server"
type in your ip adress that shows in LG5tool itll be somthing like "192.168.x.xxx" (the x are numbers that are diffrent for every one for example mine is 192.168.1.110)
click enable for "upnp"
then test your conection
REMEMBER TO UNCHECK THE FIRMWARE UPDATE BOX

Not exactly new. You could use this method to get around it before. Hell you can use it to
Prestige Hack MW2

Guy Legend

Although I don't care about losing other OS, they really should have combined its removal with the addition of some features. This is the first firmware update that is only removing a feature.

Mrbob

Schrade said:
Read the other thread to see. Go search for all the different PS3 Linux forums too. People cared. People used it. Quit asking stupid questions and just look around.

Yeah it truly sucks Linux is being taken out, but a lot of the comments on the situation are bordering on ridiculous at this point. I feel bad for the people who actually used Linux on PS3, not those who feel like they are entitled to Linux usage now even though they never touched Other OS.

mr_chun

Sigh, I was like 2 matches away from prestige in MW2 when I got signed out of PSN for this crap. And now I have to wait for it to download/install. C'mooooooon.

Agent X

Guy Legend said:
Although I don't care about losing other OS, they really should have combined its removal with the addition of some features. This is the first firmware update that is only removing a feature.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. They should have added some feature(s) of value.

I'm also curious why the version numbering went from 3.15 to 3.21, rather than 3.16 or 3.20 as you might expect.

Jtrizzy

Speevy said:
It wants your Linux to die a slow, painful death.

Sadly I think my 20 gig is going to kick the bucket pretty soon here. BC2 has all kinds of graphical issues. GOW3 didn't, I'm guessing that it's just having trouble with loading distances in open world types of games.

Speevy

Banned
kpop100 said:
I can't wait til they remove game sharing citing security concerns just to see you pull a 180 :D

I would probably just sigh and move on. It was never anything I was unprepared to lose.

Now if they locked me out of games I already have; that's a different story.

thaOwner

iceatcs said:
Me too I don't know why.

Maybe I'm very curious the new list in setting XMB.
Just finished installing it.
feels-good-man.png

Fox Mulder

Agent X said:
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. They should have added some feature(s) of value.

but sony has to stockpile features to push PSN premium some day. Their last update was like 4 months ago as well.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Trying to update from PS3 and it keeps getting error at 3%. Yay, I'm too scared to do media storage since I've never upgraded a firmware like that before

I need my Tester fix tomorrow lol.

Wario64 said:
Trying to update from PS3 and it keeps getting error at 3%. Yay, I'm too scared to do media storage since I've never upgraded a firmware like that before

I need my Tester fix tomorrow lol.

media storage method is the safest and fastest way....

Massa

TeethMummy said:
This update has zero effect on 98% of users. Not worth making a big stink about.

That's incorrect. This update has an effect on every single owner of a fat ($600-$400) PS3 that is wasting time and bandwidth to update their system so they'll lose a feature they paid for.

jett

D-Member
Is this update really JUST to remove Other OS? At least add something in there Sony, like an in-game xmb that doesn't suck balls.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wario64 said:
Hey they put in a "Trailers" icon on the Video section of the XMB. Yay for more clutter.

I dont see it. Probably due to the fact we don't have Video store here in Italy yet

Speevy

Banned
You can already make a video folder and call it trailers, connect to a Media server to a folder on another system called trailers, visit Gametrailers on the PS3 web browser and download trailers, all while living in a trailer. We don't need more clutter.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
EekTheKat said:
Weird, the little download/upload speed test under Internet Connection Test seems to be gone after this update? Least it doesn't seem to be under Internet Connection Test anymore on my Slim.

It is still present on mine.

Top Bottom