• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 3.21 (The Penguin Killing Firmware) is out

Rhindle

You'd think Sony would have thrown in a new feature or two, so they could at least PRETEND that removing Other OS was necessary in order to support those features. But no, it's straight up collective-punishment time.

Also, why does it take 164MB to disable a feature?

EekTheKat

TTP said:
It is still present on mine.

NM, it's back after a restart. Think it might've been due to manually restoring system defaults before and after updating firmware, and it might've not been there during the initial setup screen.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Rhindle said:
You'd think Sony would have thrown in a new feature or two, so they could at least PRETEND that removing Other OS was necessary in order to support those features. But no, it's straight up collective-punishment time.

PS3 firmware updates replace the firmware on the system, they don't patch it. Its a complete wipe and install.

jett

D-Member
Rhindle said:

Obviously the entire firmware is being replaced, just as it happens every time there's an update.

graywolf323

jett said:
Is this update really JUST to remove Other OS? At least add something in there Sony, like an in-game xmb that doesn't suck balls.

if so why would us Slim owners even need to download it? oh Sony :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
graywolf323 said:

Because it was still coded in the firmware. They had to get rid of any trace of it.

graywolf323 said:

This is the first firmware update in nearly 4 months, probably behind the scenes changes they won't bother telling us about.

Speevy

Banned
If you have a Slim, it adds Linux.

But there's no option for booting it.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wish I could say that I'm outraged about this, but I don't even know what Linux is, so I think I'll just go ahead and download the update.

Sony always distributes their packages as a complete compiled binary. It's why game patches are so huge too. I'm assuming the reason for doing this is, as usual, paranoia about security, since the entire package is encrypted while being distributed and the PS3 decrypts it before installing it, that's why all PS3 downloads need to go through a million years long installation process that 360 downloads just skip.

jett

D-Member
Unknown Soldier said:
Sony always distributes their packages as a complete compiled binary. It's why game patches are so huge too. I'm assuming the reason for doing this is, as usual, paranoia about security, since the entire package is encrypted while being distributed and the PS3 decrypts it before installing it, that's why all PS3 downloads need to go through a million years long installation process that 360 downloads just skip.

Yes, 360 just has that MAGICZ inside that makes it possible to install everything of any size in 0.1 microseconds!

See you later, Install Other OS. Don't let the door hit you where God sho' nuff split you!

Also description of the 3.21 firmware is there after the DL.

If a particular firmware version is required to do things then it needs to be applied to all consoles, not just the ones that have OtherOS.

Willenium said:
glad Sony is finally trimming the Nerdo Bullshit that corrupts the PS3 community. ADIOS, GEEKS. :D

If they had more "Nerdos" they might be able to design an OtherOS implementation that's actually secure. Or a PSN verification implementation that can't be fooled with a proxy.

I also refuse to have something removed from a product I purchased. I've installed Linux twice to mess around with it--didn't accomplish much but the point is I had the choice.

My 60GB will now be offline. I'm a bit of a console whore, so I was planning on buying a Slim anyway. Now I regret updating beyond the Spiderman font splash screen...when was that?

I liked that opening music better, and I'm not much of one for sparkles thanks (yes I know you can turn them off--I have).

I know you can't currently downgrade your system--well, there is a method but you have to have dumped your own NAND before you "upgraded", so that's out.

I started snagging older firmwares from a few places today--Australia seems to have the most available. Are they interchangeable or do I need a US firmware for a US console?

I can't seem to find any one site that has archived older firmwares. I'd like to grab them now, just in case it becomes possible in the future. If I'm going to have an offline PS3/PS2 PHAT kicking around, it might as well have the last Spiderman font firmware on it. My new crippled slim will handle the online.

The only thing Sony has been right in dropping is the "chrome"...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Japanese Sony site is reporting the following as added stuff with 3.21

* PlayStation®Store からダウンロードできる一部のPlayStation®規格ソフトウェアにおいて、動作品質を改善しました。
* MP4ビデオファイルの再生に関するセキュリティ脆弱性に対応しました。

Which means something like this:

* Operational quality was improved in the PlayStation® standard software of the part which can be downloaded from PlayStation®Store. [Improved PS1 emulator?]
* It corresponded to the security vulnerability regarding the playback of the MP4 video file. [More security stuff]

Returners

badcrumble said:
i decided to install the update because i'm not a big weeping slashdot nerd covered in cheeto dust

I decided to install the update because I don't have money to buy a PS3 slim. If I did though, I would've.

Weird shit. Started the download and got an average of 425kb until 98%, now it's downloading at 1.1-1.5 kb ever since.

Like, worst than dial up, still have 3 mb to go and it will take 35 minutes :(

Schrade

Peter.Simpson909 said:
I started snagging older firmwares from a few places today--Australia seems to have the most available. Are they interchangeable or do I need a US firmware for a US console?

I can't seem to find any one site that has archived older firmwares. I'd like to grab them now, just in case it becomes possible in the future. If I'm going to have an offline PS3/PS2 PHAT kicking around, it might as well have the last Spiderman font firmware on it. My new crippled slim will handle the online.

I have every single firmware update. If need be I'll make a torrent out of 'em.

diddlyD

Banned
TTP said:
* Operational quality was improved in the PlayStation® standard software of the part which can be downloaded from PlayStation®Store. [Improved PS1 emulator?]

they're releasing final fantasy 9 on psn soon aren't they? and didn't it crash after the first boss up till now on a ps3? so they probably fixed that.

Schrade

TTP said:
Japanese Sony site is reporting the following as added stuff with 3.21

Which means something like this:

* It corresponded to the security vulnerability regarding the playback of the MP4 video file. [More security stuff]
Google translate version:

Google Translate said:
* Some can be downloaded from PlayStation ® Store in PlayStation ® format software has improved the quality of work.
* Added support for MP4 video file playback security vulnerabilities.

That'd be awesome if the PS3 can be hacked with just an MP4 video.

hamchan

BoboBrazil said:
According to geohot from about an hour ago, he is releasing cfw tomorrow to update and still keep otheros installed:)
I hope not, wasn't this the same dude who was ok with people pirating? Hopefully it's just an April Fools joke

Schrade

hamchan said:
I hope not, wasn't this the same dude who was ok with people pirating? Hopefully it's just an April Fools joke
People keep saying that but if I remember correctly it was someone posting in the comments section of his blog as him but it wasn't really him.

Schrade said:

I think that would be a very fine torrent indeed. I would seed that for a month if you do. Would be quite timely...

expy

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
According to geohot from about an hour ago, he is releasing cfw tomorrow to update and still keep otheros installed:)
Good luck with that. Doesn't the exploit require you to open up your PS3? Wonder how many people are even up for that.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Peter.Simpson909 said:
I also refuse to have something removed from a product I purchased. I've installed Linux twice to mess around with it--didn't accomplish much but the point is I had the choice.

My 60GB will now be offline. I'm a bit of a console whore, so I was planning on buying a Slim anyway. Now I regret updating beyond the Spiderman font splash screen...when was that?

I liked that opening music better, and I'm not much of one for sparkles thanks (yes I know you can turn them off--I have).

I know you can't currently downgrade your system--well, there is a method but you have to have dumped your own NAND before you "upgraded", so that's out.

I think 3.0 is the one that rebranded the system.

The firmware is universal and can be installed on any system.

I think Sony keeps the old files up, the problem is they don't link them anywhere once they become outdated. You need to know the date it was released and the MD5 hash to figure out the link for the file.

Here's the syntax for it:

Code:
http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/[B]YYYY[/B]_[B]MMDD[/B]_[B]MD5Hash[/B]/PS3UPDAT.PUP

For example the current firmware is linked at:

Code:
http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2010_0401_3a08ef6164a7770ae3e7d5b9f366437a/PS3UPDAT.PUP

While the one before 3.21, 3.15, is linked at:

Code:
http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2009_1210_54ee80e14e479f8351a988eb9a472072/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Schrade said:
If you could post the MD5 hashes I could test my theory :D

Schrade said:
That'd be awesome if the PS3 can be hacked with just an MP4 video.
That would be hilarious :lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
hamchan said:
Just because it's custom, it wouldn't be pirate-filled. In any case, I didn't even know he was working on anything like that.

Schrade

Killthee said:
If you could post the MD5 hashes I could test my theory :D
I've tested before. They remove them.

I've also been saving every ps3-updatelist.txt file since firmware 2.20 so I have all the URLs in those ;)

Willenium said:
glad Sony is finally trimming the Nerdo Bullshit that corrupts the PS3 community. ADIOS, GEEKS. :D
Nailed it.

I hate it when I'm doing some sweet free online gaming against some attractive young people like myself when all of a sudden a Linux dork shows up and starts chatting about his ping. Keep these guys on PC where they belong.

Tr4nce

So GAF, this wasn't an early April Fools joke?? Sony is really pushing this trough? Wow, that is so stupid and laughable :lol

Tr4nce said:
So GAF, this wasn't an early April Fools joke?? Sony is really pushing this trough? Wow, that is so stupid and laughable :lol
I can't believe Sony are concerned about piracy, what a bunch of half wits. I mean look at the PSP, the games on that are selling like hotcakes.

Mithos

Speevy said:
Now if they locked me out of games I already have; that's a different story.

See, that's something to think about, when your older games get an update, say Uncharted 2, will they have the 3.21 firmware requirement then...

This BS could render your entire game collection unusable if that will be the case, if you wanna keep OtherOS.

expy

Banned
Dr Bad Dude PHD said:
I can't believe Sony are concerned about piracy, what a bunch of half wits. I mean look at the PSP, the games on that are selling like hotcakes.
So what are you saying? Sony should allow Piracy to promote game sales? Huh?

Top Bottom