• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Home Official Thread

jiggle

AranhaHunter said:
I thought it sucked like the Gamer's Lounge and Far Cry 2, they need some background noise, even Warhawk and Red Bull Air Space could use more background noises.

Also full movies are coming to Home Theater, probably after they add the multiplexer and work out the Streaming movies (which they are testing in EU now btw). Reply to question 42 below:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...pace-launching/comment-page-1/#comment-186025

Finally the Irem Home Space is up in JP, that looks like a fun Home Space with plenty of mini games, I'm trying to figure out how to play those, and they also have robes and stuff for sale in the JP Home now.

Yeah, they really need more ambient sounds or something. It's shocking non of them have a music player of some sort featuring game soundtracks. Or have area wide music playing, like in the mall. Sony need to share the listen@home code XD

Oooo, gonna go check out the irem space.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
CydoniaX said:
We’re working on this, bob52. The main issue now is that it would take forever to download, so we need to focus on getting streaming video working in Home.

I knew it, feel somehow vindicated... youtube streaming was not already working in HOME...

carlosp

Banned
judging by the number of people who already has special cloths Home is a real Cash Cow for Sony. I would say up to 30% of people at home this morning had some special cloths.

btw. The Resident Evil 5 Space is great.

EA Sports Complex Explored
Home just got in the game.
by Jeff Haynes

March 12, 2009 - There have been plenty of mini-games that are available for Home users to check out, whether that's in the arcade or in themed areas. However, they seem to be a bit removed from retail games and even, in some cases, from the areas they're held in. Electronic Arts is hoping to change that when they roll out the EA Sports Complex, a giant area that they want to use to revolutionize outreach between the company and its fans. At a recent press event, I got hands-on time with an early version of the Complex to see what Home users can expect in the near future.

Right off the bat, the Sports Complex is huge; in fact, it's probably the largest Home space to date, dwarfing most areas with a size that's at least two to three times that of current Home locations. Players immediately launch into the lobby of the Complex, which immediately presents them with a giant flat screen with the latest EA Sports trailers or videos. Since it was an early demo, the latest Fight Night Round 4 trailer was on constant loop, but I was told that EA Sports plans on having a plethora of content rolling in this space, from trailers to top ten plays and other items. Bordering the flat screen are banners of various upcoming games as well, which will change out on a current basis, so since the summertime is coming up in a few months, players might expect to see banners for NCAA Football or Madden in the lobby.

However, the sports team didn't want to just make this a blanket area for simple marketing of their titles to Home users; instead, they wanted a large amount of interactivity for players, much more than other areas of Home. To that end, they made sure that the first three game spaces that are included within the Complex, Racing, Texas Hold 'Em and Golf, have larger numbers of playable characters that can interact with a particular mini-game at any time. The first area that was immediately visible was the Golf area, which has a full driving range that other Home users can stand on a balcony and watch players drive into. Two sets of four players will be able to test their skills at the range to see how far they can drive a ball, which will provide bragging rights and scores for various leaderboards.

The next area was the Texas Hold 'Em tables, which will allow up to eight players to test their card shark skills at up to five separate tables. Each one will be delineated by skill and total chip balance, so beginners will get a chance at the green tables, while intermediates will be able to walk up to the red VIP tables and high rollers can immediately wager at the black tables upstairs. Players will have two separate bankrolls for these poker games – a virtual one that is initially given to players, as well as purchasable chips that can be put into play. To accelerate games, each player is given around twenty seconds to bet, raise or fold in a hand and if that seems to be taking too long, you're not solely restricted to watching a bland table and countdown timers. By hitting the L1 and L2 buttons, you can change the background to different cameras situated within the Sports Complex, giving you a chance to check up on friends or watch trailers while you play a hand of poker. To ensure that tables are competitive, EA is able to manipulate individual tables to establish different standards like minimum and maximum bets or other standard poker rules.

The third space is what will be known as EA Sports Racing – an arcade racing experience where players race an individual RC car around a track and attempt to post their best times based on their race level. Beginners will have to complete a race twice, while Intermediate players will have to go three times and experts will complete four laps. The best times are posted and the winner's times will be highlighted on leaderboards. This area, similar to the golf driving range, can also be watched by spectators that want to cheer on their friends. What's interesting about these three areas that were on the ground floor of the Complex was that all three have a significant presence with leaderboards, which the developers say they want to use to establish tournaments on a weekly, monthly and even yearly basis to determine the best players of the Home games. These won't simply be online bragging rights, however. All of the games will operate on a point system, and the more points that you collect, the more accolades that you'll unlock. For instance, if you become a high roller in poker, you'll earn poker bracelets that your avatar can wear. These will eventually translate to unlockable items in retail games as well, so skilled players in Golf, for instance, might unlock special clubs for Tiger Woods, courses or created player boosts. None of these are guaranteed to be included instantly for the launch of the space, but the developers are looking to put this in as a cross-promotional item.

Upstairs in the Sports Complex, players can also check out individual stations with the latest screenshots of EA Sports games as well as get descriptions of those titles. EA is hoping to expand on these stations as well, turning it into much more than a simple gallery of past games. It also wants to use the space to debut different videos and introduce exclusive elements of their titles to online users. While the space might seem limited for now, it's also built with ample room for improvement; a simple look outside the upstairs windows indicated a plethora of sports spaces, such as a boxing ring, a basketball court, football and soccer stadiums and a hockey rink. While those weren't built out, it's a safe bet that they will be sufficiently established for their prospective games as they're ready to be released. Home users won't have very long to wait to check out these home spaces and start to build their own reputation as a dominant player in the various arenas, however; EA Sports is hoping to launch the Sports Complex with the three areas described above in the next two months.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/962/962311p1.html

Man I cant wait for this space:D Lots of fun times with friends. Cant wait!:D

hey guys. did someone check the re5 space?

i bought the game and there some games and a special room that can be unlocked by re5 owners. sadly it doesn't do it for me, cause it tells me i need the game (i have the disc in the tray and tried unlocking some trophies before trying again).

i thought it's cause i have a us copy and i'm the pal home or i tried before the official release date in europe. am i the only one with this problem?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
°°ToMmY°° said:
hey guys. did someone check the re5 space?

i bought the game and there some games and a special room that can be unlocked by re5 owners. sadly it doesn't do it for me, cause it tells me i need the game (i have the disc in the tray and tried unlocking some trophies before trying again).

i thought it's cause i have a us copy and i'm the pal home or i tried before the official release date in europe. am i the only one with this problem?

tried it in euro home, re archives said check back later, closed.

not done yet, i also got a message i unlocked a chris redfield statue lolz

Spelunker Home space

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20090314/irem.htm

I notice the guy in the first pic has MJ's Smooth Criminal suit. :p

Here is a list of RE5 HOME items you unlock:

DSC02586.jpg

Item: Chris Redfield Ornament.
How to get it: Just sign in Home and you'll get it automatically.

DSC02587.jpg

Item: Sheva Alomar Ornament
How to get it: Beat the game on Normal.

DSC02588.jpg

Item: Jill Valentine Ornament
How to get it: Beat the game on Veteran

DSC02591.jpg

ITEM: TREASURE CHEST
How to get it: Collect all the treasures

DSC02592.jpg

Item: Albert Wesker ornament
How to get it: Beat the game on Professional.

Note: There is no item for getting the platinum trophy.

Source: http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...hread.id=594964&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

pretty cool. That thread is being updated as they find more stuff.

agm2502

"the floodgates will be opened. are you prepared".....open teleport home square, open teleport central plaza

On the PDA in Home it now states these two messages. Looks like something may be happening soon. It looks like we will be able to "teleport" between the EU Home square and the US Central plaza.

agm2502

The Xi hub is now out in the EU (Not sure about US) and can be downloaded. Been on it for about 5-10 mins and it seems to be a game where you have to solve clues to get pieces of a puzzle.

Looks to be really good in my opinion.

i'll give a shot to Xi today. i was in home ten minutes ago, but forgot to check that out. will soon. hopefully we'll be able to see the GDC through it. i think it would be pretty cool.

“Backstage with Guitar Hero” Launches Tomorrow in PlayStation Home

The time has come for all of you virtual rock stars to get your butts into PlayStation Home and show off your sickest riffs and slickest licks. That’s right - on Thursday, March 26th, Activision is launching their first PlayStation Home space to support their hit franchise - Guitar Hero. And you’re invited to the launch party!

The event will take place in the “Backstage with Guitar Hero” space where players will be able to rock out on their PLAYSTATION 3 controllers to a lightning-fast finger rock-style interactive mini-game. In this mind-boggling party game of music, memory, and reflexes, players are challenged to follow the lead of a guitarist by matching an ever-increasing color and sound pattern. With each turn a new note is added to the tune, and when a player misses a note they are knocked out of the game until only one player is left standing. A local leaderboard captures the highest scores in real time so the true champion gets their due props and the losers are left to practice their chops in shame.

On Friday, March 27th, between the hours of 12:00pm and 5:00pm PT (3:00pm and 8:00pm EST) the PlayStation Home Community Management team will be visiting the new Guitar Hero game space each hour on the hour and awarding the user with the current high score a special prize. So come out and show us your godly guitar skills. Who knows – you might just emerge the new virtual rock star of PlayStation Home…

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...r-hero-launches-tomorrow-in-playstation-home/

now thats cool!:D

Septimus

Man people can bash Home or whatever, but you can't deny that lately the content has just been growing and growing. With them saying 3 new spaces per month, it's gonna be amazing.
Moar free clothes plz?

Blablurn

wtf, i hate these restrictions when only one player is allowed the play the minigame of a certain home space. just like in the guitar hero space. as if i'm going to wait o-O

EDIT: ok, the waiting is not that long.

btw, just met wollan :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
So can you play the GH game with an actual guitar controlller? Perferably the RB one

Actual GH controller? I don't think so. I don't even own GH.

@ Blablurn

No, more than one person can play at a time (eight), but you don't see each other playing, just their scores.

I managed to get over 6k points one time. w00t :) This is kind of fun.

peetfeet

Is the GH Space only in the US? I'm in work and cant check Euro Home

Edit: @Blablurn I'm guessing it is if your'e there? or are you using a US account?

Jostifer

The competitive minigame is fun in it's own right but Guitar Hero games are about creating good music and that's not present here which is a slight miss. Still, it's fun for what it is.

Norml said:

3 a month huh? So that would mean at least 30 more spaces by the end of the year, let's run down the confirmed/heavily rumored ones:

Confirmed:

EA Sports Complex
SOCOM
Resistance

Rumored/Mentioned:
Buzz
Motorstorm
LBP
Killzone
Gran Turismo
Siren (From JP)

That's all I can think off, I'm pretty sure EA will put up a RockBand one since GH is up there, Sony might put up a Singstar one, maybe HSG from JP as well and Activision will probably put up a COD one, Capcom will maybe put up a SF or a Lost Planet one, actually it would be interesting if Sony would let Capcom put up a Monster Hunter Space......anyways the ones above are the ones I've seen mentioned, unless I missed a couple...

I would also appreciate it if they reworked some existing Home Spaces to make them better....

Dizzan

MINI Member
I am not really into Home but I would be interested in checking out some of these "spaces".

How do you get to enter them? Do you just put the game in and load up Home?

What are the coolest spaces and why?

Mrbob

Hmm, I haven't delved into the final version of HOME yet but I'm pretty excited to see how the service will evolve over the next 12 to 18 months. Could be a tipping point for me to start buying more multi plats on PS3 over 360.

Oni Jazar

Dizzan said:
I am not really into Home but I would be interested in checking out some of these "spaces".

What are the coolest spaces and why?

You don't need a disc. Just load Home and go to the world map on your PDA.

There are quite a few cool places there to check out if you haven't seen any of it before. It's all a bunch of micro games. Red Bull has a flight course. The bowling alley has pool, bowling & arcades. Guitar Hero has a guitar minigame. Uncharted has an 8bit type arcade game. The Hub is a puzzle ARG type experience. Those seem to be the most interesting.

Don't bother with Warhawk, Farcry 2, the US movie theater & that new bar/club type area.

jiggle

Dizzan said:

press start and choose to change location, it should bring up a map with all the spaces available. u can download them all in the background. most importantly, go into them on a female avatar.

Japan and US has different selections

Oni Jazar said:
Don't bother with Warhawk, Farcry 2, the US movie theater & that new bar/club type area.

I agree, all those need an overhaul, movie theater will supposedly be made into a multiplex like in EU, the Warhawk just needs a mini game or two and some good ambient sound, Far Cry 2, well that needs to be completely revamped, the gamer's lounge is supposedly getting ambient sound and either mini games or weekly surveys for gamers. I would also add that the RE5 game space sucks right now because of lack of ambient sound and the mini game is not up on the US servers yet.

agm2502

I personally think it's criminal that they haven't put a Singstar Home space in yet, especially if they can show clips of the best uploaded user videos on it etc.

-Winnie-

Has their been any word on whether they're trying to make Home seamless? The reason I don't like using it is because of how I will constantly have to wait at loading screens and redownload spaces for no particular reason.
I mean, it can't be that hard to at least eliminate load screens, seeing as entire spaces seem to be no bigger than 30mb...

Ploid 3.0

I have been spending the past few days meddling in home and I've had some fun. The airplane game is impossible to get to the top scores. At first I didn't know about the speed boost, but after that it got even more fun to play. That's a nice game. I also liked pool a bit, the angles are hard to set up, yahoo pool did this better, but it's interesting. Bowling would have been so much better if it was High Velocity Bowling system. I like the environment though. With a group of people this can be quite the lounging around place. They need actual movies, and youtube like stuff in the theater space.

I can't wait until these things are upgraded to what they're supposed to be. I want to have a mp3 player if no place is playing music I want to hear. I want to be able to put video up on the screen from my psp or something.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-Winnie- said:
Has their been any word on whether they're trying to make Home seamless? The reason I don't like using it is because of how I will constantly have to wait at loading screens and redownload spaces for no particular reason.
I mean, it can't be that hard to at least eliminate load screens, seeing as entire spaces seem to be no bigger than 30mb...
i dot think its possible. as it grows with many spaces how do you make a bunch of doors everywhere?

patsu

They can try pre-loading...

Even if the next level is only partially loaded by the time you want to get there, it still shortens the waiting time.

Oni Jazar

Think of Home as a browser and the spaces as web pages. You can't have seamless web browsing. There are too many places and no way to determine where the user wants to go next. Also any time a space gets changed (adds new content or fixes bugs) then it will have to be reloaded like a web page. Difference is the file size and loading 3d content.

patsu

Oni Jazar said:
Think of Home as a browser and the spaces as web pages. You can't have seamless web browsing. There are too many places and no way to determine where the user wants to go next. Also any time a space gets changed (adds new content or fixes bugs) then it will have to be reloaded like a web page. Difference is the file size and loading 3d content.

You can predict based on whether the user has downloaded an older revision of the space, and by most recently used algorithm.

Top Bottom