• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 OFW 3.56 New Feature: Rootkit (allegedly)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm still waiting for an answer to this question: Is it still possible to JB a PS3 running 3.56 or did they somehow complicate the process. I don't care if they implemented something that might get me banned in the future if I decide to JB, I just want to know whether I still have the option or not.

Choc

Banned
kitch9 said:
No he's been rambling incoherent babble in a few threads now.

He seems to think the PS3 is a PC, and that Sony have no right to protect their networks and legit users of their machine. He keeps calling the 3.56 firmware a rootkit too which is just plain daft.

sony is allowed to protect their network

they are allowed to protect their console

they are not allowed to do something which compromises the security of a network without informing the user

its not incohrant, you are all ignorant and have no idea

Violater

This will probably be my last console, if only PC gaming was getting the same Dev love, but pirates have shat in that pool so I fear I might just stop gaming all together

Raist

Banned
RyanDG said:
Where is this rumor source that it's a rootkit trojan? Secondly, where has Sony stated that they have a kill switch (including offline) in the PS3? I've never seen an official acknowledgment of that.

Apparently some hackers said that FW 3.56 is "installing something" on your console. Lock your doors and close your windows folks.

Choc said:
sony is allowed to protect their network

they are allowed to protect their console

they are not allowed to do something which compromises the security of a network without informing the user

its not incohrant, you are all ignorant and have no idea

Easy there buddy. With that post history on this thread alone I wouldn't make comments like that if I were you.

Also, weren't you leaving?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
richisawesome said:
Goddamnit, Sony. Bunch of muppets.

All I want is my region free Blu Ray and PS1/2. :(
On PC yes, that would seem possible. I don't know if it's a broader issue but the fact the actual HW was not region free and the last of Sony's non region free HW is telling that it may just be something that they did not want to spend resources on to fix. The matter of the fact is that's the way they designed the HW so it's hard to argue against.

Raist

Banned
Jinfash said:
I'm still waiting for an answer to this question: Is it still possible to JB a PS3 running 3.56 or did they somehow complicate the process. I don't care if they implemented something that might get me banned in the future if I decide to JB, I just want to know whether I still have the option or not.

Pretty much no.

Metalmurphy said:
This isn't new, and this isn't a rootkit...

But do continue making a big deal out of it.
what are you even talking about!?!?!

that is a provision in the TOS, it doesn't mean such a feature already existed, just that by signing into the PSN, you allow that feature to be used at any point in time. thhe actual feature that is being discussed is new to the firmware as of 3.56

Cornbread78

All those poor kids out there, that modded their PS3, didn't have a back-up system and are now going to be screwed and not be able to play with all their buddies online with all the hacks. I feel bad for them, really, really bad. NOT! (so 90's, LOL)

All the wasted time, efort, resources and money fighting this $hit is amazing to me.....

11. MAINTENANCE AND UPGRADES

From time to time, it may become necessary for SCEA to provide certain content to you to ensure that Sony Online Services and content offered through Sony Online Services, your PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) system or other SCEA-authorized hardware is functioning properly in accordance with SCEA guidelines. Some content may be provided automatically without notice when you sign in. Such content may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. Such upgrades or updates may be provided for system software for your PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) system, or other SCEA-authorized hardware. Access or use to any system software is subject to terms and conditions of a separate end user license agreement found at http://www.us.playstation.com/termsofuse. You authorize SCEA to provide such content and agree that SCEA shall not be liable for any damages, loss of data or loss of functionalities arising from provision of such content or maintenance services. It is recommended that you regularly back up any archivable data located on the hard disk.

just want to repost before someone else makes a comment without readign it first.

LiquidMetal14

Raist said:
Apparently some hackers said that FW 3.56 is "installing something" on your console. Lock your doors and close your windows folks.
Are the hackers the good guys here? Or is Sony? I am being serious lol

I would think that doing something like this, NOT BRICKING, is a good thing for the legit users.

The fact that they are having to spend resources to do this is a shame.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Raist said:

There.
Right in this post is everything that is wrong with that whole discussion on GAF.

LiquidMetal14

kamorra said:
There.
Right in this post is everything that is wrong with that whole discussion on GAF.
So the do gooders are wrong and the hackers are right lol

SERIOUSLY, who is more right here? No one wants to acknowledge?

Rich!

LiquidMetal14 said:
On PC yes, that would seem possible. I don't know if it's a broader issue but the fact the actual HW was not region free and the last of Sony's non region free HW is telling that it may just be something that they did not want to spend resources on to fix. The matter of the fact is that's the way they designed the HW so it's hard to argue against.

What?! I really do not understand what you're trying to say there. Seriously. Is English your first language?

Region free is possible on CFW, it's not on OFW. Thats all I meant. Nothing to do with the hardware at all.

Vagabundo

LiquidMetal14 said:
Are the hackers the good guys here? Or is Sony? I am being serious lol

I would think that doing something like this, NOT BRICKING, is a good thing for the legit users.

The fact that they are having to spend resources to do this is a shame.

They are both playing dirty. Hackers are releasing Sony's Keys, now Sony is falling back on Rootkits.

Raist

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:

I have yet to see any valid and precise description of what 3.56 does. I'm not sure anyone really knows (outside of Sony, of course).

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
LiquidMetal14 said:

He wasn't talking about good vs bad. This is getting more and more ridiculous by the minute.

LiquidMetal14

richisawesome said:
What?! I really do not understand what you're trying to say there. Seriously. Is English your first language?
Insults are always the classy route.

What I mean is that they designed the PS2 to NOT BE REGION FREE. I don't know the kinds of resources it would take to make that work without a hitch on 60GB PS3's or any with BC.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Raist said:
Pretty much no.
What did they do? WHAT DID THEY DO?

I was under the impression that JB was future proof. :\ Can you explain how they complicated the process exactly? I have no interest in JBing right now but it's nice to have the option once a homebrew that interests me is released.

LiquidMetal14

kamorra said:
He wasn't talking about good vs bad. This is getting more and more ridiculous by the minute.
Yes, simple question though. Are you against the TOS and people breaking it? YES OR NO. Not a 50 word answer.

Rich!

LiquidMetal14 said:
Insults are always the classy route.

What I mean is that they designed the PS2 to NOT BE REGION FREE. I don't know the kinds of resources it would take to make that work without a hitch on 60GB PS3's or any with BC.

Where did I insult you? Your post made no sense.

And I didn't mean to write PS2, just PS1. I have a Slim. Region free for blu ray is what I really want, and it is possible. I've done it by patching the CFW. Granted, its a bit tricky right now, but it's there.

JADS

LiquidMetal14 said:

Sometimes I really wish someone would just take this matter to court and either debunk or confirm the legality of EULAs. Both in the States and in the European Union.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
LiquidMetal14 said:
Yes, simple question though. Are you against the TOS and people breaking it? YES OR NO. Not a 50 word answer.

TOS means nothing to me. TOS also means nothing to the government where I live.

Vagabundo

Jinfash said:
What did they do? WHAT DID THEY DO?

I was under the impression that JB was future proof. :\ Can you explain how they complicated the process exactly?

I think they removed syscalls and changed keys and - possibly - installed a backdoor to run code if your in PSN. And who knows what else.

Give it a few days and I'll bet that JB will be back for this version.

Raist

Banned
I'd recommend people who have a PSeye to stop using it immediatly. I suspect FW 3.56 allows Sony to take pictures of your living room without you knowing, and send them to the FBI/GIGN/MI6.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Vagabundo said:
I think they removed syscalls and changed keys and - possibly - installed a backdoor to run code if your in PSN. And who knows what else.

That's good to hear. More power to them. The good guys. Can I donate to them? I'd like to do donate to them.

LiquidMetal14

JADS said:
Sometimes I really wish someone would just take this matter to court and either debunk or confirm the legality of EULAs. Both in the States and in the European Union.
Yes, that would be nice. Although some here have posted some pretty informed info. It's just going on ignored.

kamorra said:
TOS means nothing to me. TOS also means nothing to the government where I live.
Ok, you're more rebellious. I can't really help you.

Vorador

Banned
This is quite a serious issue.

If a hacker manages to discover how the rootkit works, he could remotely launch code on any ps3 in the world with the 3.56 firmware.

Withnail

I wouldn't call that a root kit and it doesn't really have any similarities to the BMG thing.

BTW is anybody else enjoying the irony of hackers complaining that Sony have opened a back door into the system? :)

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Vagabundo said:
They are both playing dirty. Hackers are releasing Sony's Keys, now Sony is falling back on Rootkits.
Difference is that you know what the hackers have done, but how can you be so certain that Sony is installing a "rootkit trojan" with 3.56? Just because the hackers said so?

Vagabundo

evolution said:
Im a little confused. Sony can run programs on our systems that do what exactly?

Anything. Pretty much anything you can think of, if it helps them track down dirty pirates.

And not just Sony. Now - potentially - anyone can have a go too.

LiquidMetal14

Raist said:
I'd recommend people who have a PSeye to stop using it immediatly. I suspect FW 3.56 allows Sony to take pictures of your living room without you knowing, and send them to the FBI/GIGN/MI6.
LOL you gotta laugh at this one.

And remember, you can do that with hacking too. If they so chose to. Just don't log into PSN, seriously. If you don't have a huge investment in PSN and no PSN friends then you probably will not have much interest in even having your console plugged into your internet.

RyanDG

Does anyone have the original IRC chat logs where this was first discussed. I really want to see exactly how this was described.

NHale

Raist said:

I knew it!

Withnail said:
BTW is anybody else enjoying the irony of hackers complaining that Sony have opened a back door into the system? :)

I sure am.

Dibbz

So Sony can run code when you access PSN to validate if your running custom firmware? How is that a bad thing? Banning hackers from the network is a bloody good thing.

Vagabundo

Withnail said:
I wouldn't call that a root kit and it doesn't really have any similarities to the BMG thing.

Course it does. And what would you call it? It allows for code to be excuted on your machine by an outside party without your consent.

And it's not the hackers complaining, they don't really give a fuck. It is me.

LiquidMetal14

Dibbz said:
So Sony can run code when you access PSN to validate if your running custom firmware? How is that a bad thing? Banning hackers from the network is a bloody good thing.
These guys look at it like Sony is taking pictures of you through your PSEye lol

Of course that is exaggerating it but the tongue and cheek comments have already covered that.

Ploid 3.0

Withnail said:

I'm enjoying the squirming and the fact that they are pretty much banned from PSN when that DNS trick is fixed by sony. MVC3 is out soon.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Jinfash said:
That's good to hear. More power to them. The good guys. Can I donate to them? I'd like to do donate to them.
ELOEL :p Hackers are the good guys now? And I bet Sony is the big bad evil corporation out for blood and world domination and what not.

spwolf

Vagabundo said:

what you are writing makes no sense... it is not a rootkit and backdoor on closed console system. What you are trying to say is that Sony installed additional check to make sure console is not modified.

This is not the same as inserting music cd that installs software to fuck up your PC.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Dibbz said:

That wouldn't be a bad thing. Banning cheaters from PSN would be a good thing. A program that can execute code and install things without your consent would be a bad thing.

Dibbz

Vagabundo said:
Course it does. And what would you call it? It allows for code to be excuted on your machine by an outside party without your consent.

And it's not the hackers complaining, they don't really give a fuck. It is me.
Don't get why you are so scared. What do you think Sony going to do that has you so freaked out?

Top Bottom