• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Web Browser Discussion - big upgrade rumoured for long time, but no concrete news

Dear Jeff.. I need to ask you one simple question..

Do you even own a Playstation 3...?
Yes....one simple question for you, have you thought about how Sony is going to keep interest in the PS3 till the PS4 is released in 2014? Both WiiU and next generation Xbox will be out 6 months to a year before the PS4.

Looked at Windows Phone features....notice the communication between applications. The PS3 application OS was a clumsy unfinished hack with applications from several different vendors that don't share software libraries which make them HUGE and also they don't share "metadata", it's being rewritten. What is the Sony roadmap for this, what are the new features?

This goes beyond a browser but the browser is going to be part of an integrated package of applications that share resources and "metadata" like for instance a Contact manager, Calender, Map, Email, Chat and possibly more. How do I know this, it's what I'd do and it's what others are doing. You must assume Sony is stupid and self destructive if you don't think Sony is going to do the same.

Why the delay in implementing this, if I am correct, is the biggest VALID argument. Why did Microsoft delay in releasing Windows Phone or the current XBOX Dashboard based on Windows Phone/compatible with Windows Phone till two months ago? Are we to assume that a Huge Software company like Microsoft is not better at writing a OS than Sony?

This is obvious........my early mistake and I think currently yours is to underestimate the scope of the changes that are coming.

Hanmik

Yes....one simple question for you, have you thought about how Sony is going to keep interest in the PS3 till the PS4 is released in 2014? Both WiiU and next generation Xbox will be out 6 months to a year before the PS4.

make GAMES..? it´s a gaming console .. the web browser is a nice feature, But not what Sony is considering important untill PS4 is out..

Am I totally mistaken when I say, that this thread (from your side Jeff) has never been about the "WEB BROWSER update"..? I like the way you think Jeff, but I see no connection to the original post anymore..

Jeff_Rigby said:
This goes beyond a browser but the browser is going to be part of an integrated package of applications that share resources and "metadata" like for instance a Contact manager, Calender, Map, Email, Chat and possibly more. How do I know this, it's what I'd do and it's what others are doing. You must assume Sony is stupid and self destructive if you don't think Sony is going to do the same.

Why would Sony bother with this stuff on the PS3..? why would they use ressources and money on implementing stuff like this on the PS3..? For PS4, yes, but PS3, no..

Look at the firmware updates we have recieved from Sony during the life of the PS3. They have added alot. Trophies, Apps and lot more.. but never have they changed the internet browser significantly. There is a reason.. the browser is not worth the time and money.

make GAMES..? it´s a gaming console .. the web browser is a nice feature, But not what Sony is considering important untill PS4 is out..

Am I totally mistaken when I say, that this thread (from your side Jeff) has never been about the "WEB BROWSER update"..? I like the way you think Jeff, but I see no connection to the original post anymore..

Why would Sony bother with this stuff on the PS3..? why would they use ressources and money on implementing stuff like this on the PS3..? For PS4, yes, but PS3, no..

Look at the firmware updates we have recieved from Sony during the life of the PS3. They have added alot. Trophies, Apps and lot more.. but never have they changed the internet browser significantly. There is a reason.. the browser is not worth the time and money.

Finally someone has posted a possibly valid argument against a browser coming.

1) Why did Microsoft update the Xbox dashboard with Windows Phone compatible software?

2) The browser integrated with applications on the PS3 can have many commercial uses to make Sony money and to promote their products as well as others which can make them money.

"but never have they changed the internet browser significantly. There is a reason.. the browser is not worth the time and money."

1) IF webkit was/is the future for embedded platforms then any update to a non-webkit owned by another company browser is wasted effort as it would have to be replaced.
2) Here is the speculative part...since Webkit, HTML5 and WebGL are evolving standards, at what point do you jump into the webkit parade?
3) The Vita has a browser why? If a browser according to you has no value to Sony then why did they include it in the Vita?

You do know that Netfront did not upgrade their browser much beyond the version in the PS3, they dropped it in favor of webkit at some point.

Hanmik

I´m not that much into technical stuff.. so I will never be able to discuss it on any level beyond my own user expiriences and logical speculation. But let me try..

1) Why did Microsoft update the Xbox dashboard with Windows Phone compatible software?

Because they launched a totally NEW dashboard, and integrated that feature.. if Sony was to do the same, they probably need to make a new XMB.. so I do not see that happening. They only make small updates to their firmware..

2) The browser integrated with applications on the PS3 can have many commercial uses to make Sony money and to promote their products as well as others which can make them money.

They have other more profitable solutions.. they have the "Whats New" tab, and the scrolling adverts in the top corner of the XMB.. they do not need to have the browser updated, because they allready have other means for the adverts.

3) The Vita has a browser why? If a browser according to you has no value to Sony then why did they include it in the Vita?

Sony has made it a "Sony feature" to implement Internet browsers in their consoles. Therefore they made one for the Vita too. It is a new and better browser, because it is a new platform. They have learned from the PS3 browser, and therefore they made a new and better one for the Vita (that is my guess). But that does not have anything to do with the PS3 browser being updated. If they should implement the same browser they will have to remake the XMB from the ground.. and that is not happening. Again to expensive and a waste of ressources..

1) IF webkit was/is the future for embedded platforms then any update to a non-webkit owned by another company browser is wasted effort as it would have to be replaced.
2) Here is the speculative part...since Webkit, HTML5 and WebGL are evolving standards, at what point do you jump into the webkit parade?

to much technical stuff for my little pony ehhh puny brain... but again all this stuff seems to be for suite and Vita.. not for the PS3..

edit.. I do not think that Sony thinks the PS3 browser is not valuable.. I think that they are satisfied with the state of the browser as it is, and will not update it.

[/B]

For one thing, Microsoft has WILDLY different approach to dashboard features compared to Sony. Microsoft does complete revamps. Sony does small updates. If you recall, Microsoft is pretty much the biggest SOFTWARE company out there

Because they launched a totally NEW dashboard, and integrated that feature.. if Sony was to do the same, they probably need to make a new XMB.. so I do not see that happening.
Microsoft in order to support RVU version 2 from Verizon had to support a UI toolkit similar to Webkit's. Why, because everyone is going to do the same! All this means is that Microsoft is supporting their Windows Phone compatible Dashboard with the Same tools, they have a browser Dashboard. Sony can support the same Look and Feel of the XMB with a browser desktop also.
They have other more profitable solutions.. they have the "Whats New" tab, and the scrolling adverts in the top corner of the XMB.. they do not need to have the browser updated, because they allready have other means for the adverts.
So if there are other opportunities to make money they shouldn't' implement them because "What's New" is enough? The opportunities in a closed platform with a browser integrated into Calender, Contact list, Email, Social websites, Journal, Map, Picture and Video editing and display are enormous!!! Look at what Google+ implements.
Sony has made it a "Sony feature" to implement Internet browsers in their consoles. Therefore they made one for the Vita too. It is a new and better browser, because it is a new platform. They have learned from the PS3 browser, and therefore they made a new and better one for the Vita (that is my guess). But that does not have anything to do with the PS3 browser being updated. If they should implement the same browser they will have to remake the XMB from the ground.. and that is not happening. Again to expensive and a waste of resources.
The XMB does not have to be rewritten to support a new browser. It does make sense to use the same libraries that are needed to support webkit to support the XMB.
but again all this stuff seems to be for suite and Vita.. not for the PS3, I do not think that Sony thinks the PS3 browser is not valuable.. I think that they are satisfied with the state of the browser as it is, and will not update it.
The current PS3 browser and the unfinished Vita browser can not support the new PSN "Picture" SVG icon menu structure that we have read an article about and seen a snapshot of a developer Vita browser displaying.

Because of interest or whatever, I don't think allot the the nay saying posters have actually read and given thought to this issue. Some have caught a glimmer of what I have been posting and acknowledge Webkit applications are coming.

You know Jeff, I never got to say this, but ..about half a year ago, I told you to stop posting. I wanted to apologize. Even if this stuff doesn't come to fruition, it'll at least give me something to think about and potentially hope for.

Keep it up.

Hanmik

Imagine it crashing while browsing one of the sites you mentioned. That's no joke!

I use my browser every night.. I´m not kidding you.. I like browsing various sites from the comfort of my bed.. I have Java script disabled and it never crashes.. but once I activate java script.. good bye bed. I have to get up and hard-reset my PS3 every 15 minutes..

and Jeff.. I will answer some of your stuff later. I´m busy checking "new" sites..

Last I checked, that was still speculation. When did it get confirmed?
PS Suite requires Mono and Mono uses Webkit and Gstreamer to support RIA and IPTV Commercial applications on Linux and Unix platforms. On "Windows" platforms (possible) or iOS (not happening) Mono can use Microsoft codecs, player and render with something other than Cairo. This is the way it has been done and most likely will be done. You are correct, it isn't "public knowledge" at this time.

Sealda

Banned
images

androvsky

PS Suite requires Mono and Mono uses Webkit and Gstreamer to support RIA and IPTV Commercial applications on Linux and Unix platforms. On "Windows" platforms (possible) or iOS (not happening) Mono can use Microsoft codecs, player and render with something other than Cairo. This is the way it has been done and most likely will be done. You are correct, it isn't "public knowledge" at this time.

I guess we're back to the old "just because it can use a library on one platform doesn't mean it's required on all of them" routine.

I kind of like Rigby's posting. He reminds me of the mad scientist where he seems to be doing a whole bunch of blather and incomprehensible meanderings, but under all of that, there actually is a form of truth. If you dig really deep into what he's actually saying. All of this actually does sound possible. Reminds me of Dr. Cranium from Quest for Glory 4.

Hopefully I'll finally have a use for that wireless kb/m I got for my PS3.

The browser as it stands now is awful. So dated most sites dont even show correctly, and not being able to stream video higher than 240p is a damn joke. Such a shame since the PS3 is a few steps away from being that "everything" device its advertised as.

MKV support would be nice too..

For one thing, Microsoft has WILDLY different approach to dashboard features compared to Sony. Microsoft does complete revamps. Sony does small updates. If you recall, Microsoft is pretty much the biggest SOFTWARE company out there

For the third time look at this PDF: http://www.khronos.org/assets/uploa..._ISO_SC24_Update/Khronos-SC24_Seoul-Nov11.pdf

Notice in the above Khronos PDF that September 2012 is a target date for AR. Notice also that the glasses shown in one of the above would support AR on a home console or computer. This is not just Portable AR because portable has the camera, GPS, sensors and screen in one convenient package.

Hirari and Charles Ying quotes tend to support Sony started implementing HTML5 - WebGL browser support with firmware 3.0 (2009) and 3.5 (End Sept 2010) with a Webkit javascript engine that required Cairo and Gstreamer if HTML5 <video> was supported. March 2011 a Full webkit was disclosed and we don't know what was in firmware 4.0. The Hirari quote was that Firmware 3.0 was a complete rewrite of the PS3 OS to support IPTV and to support manipulation of video after it has been digitized ; I.E. AR support, overlay, video editing etc. But the PS3 XMB look and feel changed very little except for the addition of the "What's New" that demonstrated some Video manipulation features (trapizoid). I gather that for this reason (look and feel having little change) we all didn't understand the scope of the changes.

Correct me if I am wrong but for the fourth time nothing in that document points out that Sony was implementing anything to PS3 in particular in anyway.
Yup, just the Sony HMD glasses at CES and TV glasses displayed at CES by SONY. Remember this is a September 2012 before we see it technology with the PS4 to be released in 2014.

Talk of sensor equipped technology and the AR toys being released soon point to this as a big coming feature BEFORE the PS4 is released. WebGL technology is being leveraged to support this.

Because Sony is Super Secret we most likely won't get any direct proof or a Road Map.

One of the slides mentioned WebGL has to be 100% secure and that requires webkit2 which will be done (webkit2 GTK API) before the end of March. Another slide mentions leveraging HTML5 technology to support applications. IF they are not stand alone but running from a browser desktop it is VERY important that HTML5 technology or webGL be secure.

Look at Google+ applications in a Chrome browser (webkit2), you can inspect the elements that make up a Calender for instance. It's a very small script using SQlite to store the user data locally with Google creating cloud storage for the user to sync a Calender on every platform the user owns or logs into. Look at how small the script is. Some logic is supplied by Google but a Calender could be created the same way by Sony or with 100% local but having PS+ required to sync between Sony platforms. Another feature supported by PS+ justifying it's yearly cost.

Technical but interesting links relating to Gstreamer - OpenMAX Not necessary for anything other than background info.

April 2006 Khronos PDF on using OpenMax Integration layer with Gstreamer. (Applies to PS Suite and porting Gstreamer to the PS3 and Vita >> GST-OpenMAX)

The purpose of this document is showing how the OpenMAX Integration Layer API can be used in the Linux GStreamer framework to enable access to multimedia
components, including HW acceleration on platforms that provide it.

GStreamer is a fully featured Multimedia framework for the Linux operating system. The purpose of this white paper is to discuss how access to multimedia components - as offered by the OpenMAX Integration Layer (OMX IL) API - can be exploited by GStreamer. Adding support for OMX IL inside GStreamer has the advantage of enabling access to multimedia components in a standardized way. Applications using the GStreamer API would take advantage of hardware acceleration on platforms that provide it, when OMX IL support is integrated.

Although the OpenMAX Integration Layer API may initially look similar to GStreamer (core and codecs) in terms of concepts, it is aimed at a different purpose and lacks many advanced features that can be found in GStreamer. This white paper briefly discusses the main concepts of the GStreamer framework, then it analyzes the main differences with OMX IL in terms of data structures and methods. A simple approach for using the OpenMAX IL API with GStreamer is suggested, which does not require modifications to the GStreamer core framework.
http://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linaro-dev/2011-February/002464.html
http://marc.info/?l=gstreamer-devel&m=114839371909901

http://gstconf.ubicast.tv/videos/a-new-openmax-il-integration-layer-for-gstreamer/?html5=on

Points gleaned:

Openmax is a set of "standards" routines written in assembly language to API support hardware from a hardware vender like Qualcomm. Included with the APIs are codecs written in assembly language that use the features built into the hardware. This allows a vender like Qualcomm to support multiple different CPUs, GPUs, Audio and Video interfaces in a standard that others can use.

1) Sony believes in Standards and is part of multiple Standards organizations. They are a member of Khronos and followed standards outlined by Khronos at the launch of the PS3.

2) The Openmax IL API standard and free codec routines allowed Sony to provide free not for commercial use (free use only) support for several audio and video formats. Codecs could have been provided to Sony by IBM but only using the PPU. Sony probably rewrote the OpenMAX codec to use SPUs-RSX in 2007-2008 when we saw a dramatic performance increase for Flash video in the Netfront Browser.

3) GST-Openmax: Khronos members were (2006) investigating using Gstreamer (Linux and Unix) and Directshow (Windows) as players supported by lower level openmax APIs. There are issues in using Gstreamer on an Openmax API that were partially addressed with the new Gstreamer 1.0 API. Gstreamer 1.0 will work better with Android Openmax 1.1. With some custom code, Gstreamer can use the Openmax API and provide advanced support beyond the Openmax minimal specs.

Sony with the PS3 as a one-off closed platform has no need to keep with a standard meant to provide support for a hardware vendor with multiple different versions they are selling. Will Sony support/use Gstreamer in the PS3...that seems to be yes as the PS3 webkit disclosure has Sony maintained libraries listing Gstreamer in the PS3 Webkit DIFF files. Collabora was sent a PS3 Developer kit late 2007 after Collabora integrated Gstreamer into GTKwebkit and provided bindings to Cairo to support HTML5 <video>. Both Opera and Firefox started using Gstreamer for HTML5 <video> at about the same time in the 2007-2008 period.

When Sony is integrating Gstreamer into the PS3 is an issue we can only guess at. My SUPPORTED guess is that Sony did this with Firmware 3.0 just like they did with Cairo. Video unlimited was written in 2009 using Cairo, Webkit and most likely Gstreamer but to this date only Cairo and webkit are used in the "preview version". You are not allowed to stream AV which would require Gstreamer and in addition would violate the Free use only codec provided by OpenMAX. I found a Marlin DRM PDF that discussed a Gstreamer DASH player with Marlin DRM that could have been part of a 2009 proof of concept.

Is Gstreamer being used in the PS3 now for non-commercial use? Massa says no because Sony would be legally required to disclose their use of Gstreamer; he may be correct. It makes sense to use Gstreamer for everything AV but OpenMAX provides the same type of plugin support for lower level Core feature of Gstreamer and codecs. Sony probably wrote a player to use OpenMax to support AV features. When Sony goes commercial and provides their own IPTV streaming for movies they can not use the Free OpenMAX codecs...they will have to pay a licencing Fee to Mpeg-LA and this creates a point where it might make commercial sense to switch to Gstreamer.

Why has the developed in 2009 Video unlimited streaming not been used by Sony? Hulu is using the framework...Netflix is also using SOME of the framework as the Netflix app has dropped from 21 megs to less than 16 megs; both are commercial IPTV. Netflix is QTwebkit and Hulu is GTKwebkit; both use Cairo, Gstreamer and webkit. Sony has disclosed Gstreamer and Cairo on their networked platforms (TV, Blu-ray and Google TV) but there is no Gstreamer disclosed on the PS3 or Vita but the Vita is not supporting HTML5 <video> yet. IF Sony is following the rules and disclosing LGPL licensed Open Source Software then they are probably using OpenMax codecs and Sony player on the Vita to play MP4 720P only non commercial video. Will that change Spring 2012 when it appears the PS3 is getting a major firmware update to support commercial IPTV which coincides with webkit2 GTK API being finished and Gstreamer 1.0 being finished (Collabora is admitting to being 2 months delayed).

I think yes, Spring 2012 will see the release of Playmemories Studio, Sony commercial IPTV, a new Browser, new DLNA server, new Chat program and Rich Internet Applications. The above logic would, with Gstreamer being used for AV in the PS3 and needed for AV in a new browser require Gstreamer before a new browser could be implemented on the PS3. There is also that security requires webkit2 and it's not API integrated with the GTKwebkit port yet.

There is also that discussions and lectures have SOME Khronos members dissatisfied with the current OpenMAX API. Gstreamer requires custom changes to fully integrate with OpenMAX APIs but is a more powerful standard. Augmented Reality is requiring multiple forms of sensor metadata to be synced and used with Video streams so changes to Gstreamer need to be made (talks have been underway to do this for 6 months now).

Sony not (yet) disclosing Gstreamer on Vita and PS3 coupled with PS Suite on and off again statements for the PS3 might indicate Sony going with their own or a custom OpenMax API player totally rewritten to support AR rather than use Gstreamer.

Mono currently uses Gstreamer and webkit to support Moonlight for Linux and Unix commercial IPTV applications. PS Suite applications on Sony networked blu-ray, TV and Google TV would use these old Mono-Moonlight standards with a MS Playready DRM Sony purchased the rights to use. But it's possible for Mono to use OpenMax codec support (likely GST-OpenMAX is going to be used for PS Suite) and in addition use Androids Stagefright player provided by Android not Gstreamer. I doubt this as current job postings are still mentioning both OpenMAX and Gstreamer experience needed for Android.

Sony is an innovator of standards and is closely working with Google who bought widevine so PS Suite could diverge from Mono touch - Moonlight.... Come to think of it, that would create issues with Windows (Microsoft also supports OpenMax) and ios (if that happens) so back to PS Suite will use Gstreamer (GST-OpenMAX) as most likely.

Question? who is paying Mpeg-LA for the commercial IPTV use of codecs?

Rolf NB

This is still built on a lack of basic logic principles. Association is not conjunction. Possibility is not evidence. Precedent is not necessity. Your associative hops from one software package to the next, and its cousins, and so forth, are excessive and ill justified.

edit: amending this here in response to Jeff's PM, since my answer isn't personal and doesn't really need to be private.

All these individual software packages may well have been ported to the PS3, but the conclusion that they will eventually lead to a browser is logically fallacious. The reason why each of these packages is developed as a separate project, different teams etc, is that each one of them on its own provides useful functionality.

Gstreamer solves audio and video decoding and encoding, demuxing, mixing and synchronization. This is highly useful for playing prerecorded video, streaming camera data in a multiplayer setup, and even certain audio tasks that games or XMB apps might want to solve.
GTK solves screen layout of many provided (and skinnable) standard widgets, control picking, control highlighting, event dispatch, default event handling. This is highly useful for scalable menu systems, which is a common need of games and other software.
Cairo solves scalable vector graphics inside (and around) menu widgets or in free form. It's useful in cases where SVG data is available (logos and 2D art), but translation into OpenGL-friendly formats or native libGCM code is prohibitive/not worth the effort.
HTML renderers (like Webkit/Gecko) solve rich, complex layouts for text and/or images. This is highly useful for rendering pretty online manuals, backstory databases ("codex") or even dialog boxes, all of which are common needs of games.

Each of these packages has a function and has use cases it can address on its own. If that were not the case, they would not exist in a freestanding form with their own individual names, but be an invisible portion of some other, more functional package.

Just because some of these packages have been used in conjunction on some system before does not necessitate that they will always, everywhere, be used in conjunction. It's but one of many possibilities.
Just because these packages, when all merged together, can form a very specific type of application on another system, it does not mean that their utility ends at contributing to that one goal that that one compound application had. They can lend their functionality to entirely different types of applications.

Just like the standard C library is highly useful and highly used by all sorts of software, from music sequencing to photo slideshows to database servers.

One element of a possible greater compund shape appearing is not evidence that the full thing will arrive.

This is still built on a lack of basic logic principles. Association is not conjunction. Possibility is not evidence. Precedent is not necessity. Your associative hops from one software package to the next, and its cousins, and so forth, are excessive and ill justified.
yup....we have no roadmap and Sony is super secret.

Edit: I've used the argument that cut and paste as well as clipboard chrome/modified GTK routines would not be there if a Browser front end were not coming. In thinking about arguments to respond to your good description of the tools used to support webkit and a possible browser front end I again thought about the job listing to produce RIA for the PS3 and I realized that cut and paste, clipboard, mouse and keyboard routines can be used for RIA too so those don't guarantee a browser front end is coming. I'll have to go through the chrome routines for something that can only be used with a browser front end. *See Below message 1240 webhistory can only be used by a browser.

Edit2:
Rolf NB said:
All these individual software packages may well have been ported to the PS3, but the conclusion that they will eventually lead to a browser is logically fallacious.
If I am understanding your argument you have it backwards, all those libraries were provably ported to the PS3 to support webkit. Because they are all cross platform extremely efficient and for the most part Zero copy Gnome Mobile libraries they have many of the design goals that Android libraries have to support applications, even an application like a webkit browser. Once libraries are ported and webkit supported in the PS3 the only thing left is the browser front end.

My early reasoning was that the webkit disclosure (Nov 2010) told us a GTKwebkit browser was coming and to support a webkit browser Sony would have to port native libraries that would make writing applications for the XMB easier. Looking at the libraries listed as needed for the webkit port matched many in Gnome Mobile and the Gnome desktop shell. The Sony SNAP developer site at the same time listed GNU open source (Linux) software libraries as a source for OSS to port to the PS3 using the same libraries listed as needed for the webkit port but without a native toolkit UI, a Sony toolkit was mentioned as being in development. Eureka....browser desktop....and support for Linux software porting to the PS3.

I was jumped on for the speculation early on that applications were coming, that Sony was making it easier to port Linux applications to the PS3, that a browser was coming etc. I find it delicious that what others called wild speculation early on is now considered fact (applications coming) but the webkit disclosures early on only proved a browser was coming, it was my wild speculation that the libraries to support webkit could be used to support applications.

From the Sony Subject: Add PS3 support to JavaScriptCore

The following snippet tells us what the PS3 OS is not and since the PS3 open source disclosures have FreeBSD and NetBSD, PS3 OS must be FreeBSD with routines from NetBSD.

Also POSIX is a Sony added Platform.

+/* OS(PS3) - Sony PlayStation3 */
+#ifdef __PS3__
+#define WTF_OS_PS3 1
+#endif
+
/* OS(QNX) - QNX */
#if defined(__QNXNTO__)
#define WTF_OS_QNX 1
@@ -457,6 +462,7 @@
|| OS(LINUX) \
|| OS(NETBSD) \
|| OS(OPENBSD) \
+ || OS(PS3) \
|| OS(QNX) \
|| OS(SOLARIS) \
|| OS(SYMBIAN) \
@@ -476,6 +482,7 @@
/* PLATFORM(HAIKU) */
/* PLATFORM(MAC) */
/* PLATFORM(WIN) */
+/* PLATFORM(POSIX) */

It's a GTKwebkit port configured to be Sony POSIX with Sony default options.
+ die "The Posix port builds JavaScriptCore, WebCore and WebKit in one shot! Only call it for 'WebKit'.\n";
+ }
+
+ # Override Gtk configure script default options to our preference.

There are quite a few comments called FIXME: implement for not implemented features that I'd guess means a updated webkit disclosure is coming with these features implemented.
+AccessibilityUIElement AccessibilityUIElement::elementAtPoint(int x, int y)
+{
+ // FIXME: implement
+ notImplemented();
+ return 0;
+}
+
+AccessibilityUIElement AccessibilityUIElement::linkedUIElementAtIndex(unsigned index)
+{
+ notImplemented();
+ return 0;
+}
+
+AccessibilityUIElement AccessibilityUIElement::getChildAtIndex(unsigned index)
+{
+ Vector<AccessibilityUIElement> children;
+ getChildrenWithRange(children, index, index + 1);
+
+ if (children.size() == 1)
+ return children.at(0);
+
+ return 0;
+}
+
+unsigned AccessibilityUIElement::indexOfChild(AccessibilityUIElement* element)
+{
+ notImplemented();
+ return 0;
+}

The Following is a snippet from a block of code that was added by SONY (+ indicates an addition to the diff file). It contains Webhistory which will not be used with any RIA or web application. It can only be used for a new PS3 browser!
+// This API is not yet public.
+extern G_CONST_RETURN gchar* webkit_web_history_item_get_target(WebKitWebHistoryItem*);
+extern gboolean webkit_web_history_item_is_target_item(WebKitWebHistoryItem*);
+extern GList* webkit_web_history_item_get_children(WebKitWebHistoryItem*);
+extern GSList* webkit_web_frame_get_children(WebKitWebFrame* frame);
+extern gchar* webkit_web_frame_get_inner_text(WebKitWebFrame* frame);
+extern gchar* webkit_web_frame_dump_render_tree(WebKitWebFrame* frame);
+extern guint webkit_web_frame_get_pending_unload_event_count(WebKitWebFrame* frame);
+extern void webkit_web_settings_add_extra_plugin_directory(WebKitWebView* view, const gchar* directory);
+extern gchar* webkit_web_frame_get_response_mime_type(WebKitWebFrame* frame);
+extern void webkit_web_frame_clear_main_frame_name(WebKitWebFrame* frame);
+extern void webkit_web_view_set_group_name(WebKitWebView* view, const gchar* groupName);
+extern void webkit_reset_origin_access_white_lists();
+}
+
+volatile bool done;
+static bool printSeparators;
+static int dumpPixels;
+static int dumpTree = 1;
+
+AccessibilityController* axController = 0;
+static GCController* gcController = 0;
+static WebKitWebView* webView;
+static GtkWidget* window;
+static GtkWidget* container;
+static GtkWidget* webInspectorWindow;
+WebKitWebFrame* mainFrame = 0;
+WebKitWebFrame* topLoadingFrame = 0;
+guint waitToDumpWatchdog = 0;
+bool waitForPolicy = false;
+
+// This is a list of opened webviews
+GSList* webViewList = 0;

The above plus the on-line TESTS for browser functionality plus the Picture (SVG ICON) menu mentioned coming for PSN plus 3-D viewing in a browser mentioned coming from a Sony employee Plus many more I'm too tired to mention at this time but is in this thread means a new PS3 webkit browser is coming. There is only a very small chance it's not coming and that would only be if Sony has changed course since this disclosure.

+my $isPosix; # true if building/testing Sony POSIX/Cairo port
And we are back to the 2010 Email I received from Geoff Levand that it's a Posix Cairo port

From the Sony Subject: Add PS3 support to JavaScriptCore

The following snippet tells us what the PS3 OS is not and since the PS3 open source disclosures have FreeBSD and NetBSD, PS3 OS must be FreeBSD with routines from NetBSD.

Also POSIX is a Sony added Platform.

It's a GTKwebkit port configured to be Sony POSIX with Sony default options.

There are quite a few comments called FIXME: implement for not implemented features that I'd guess means a updated webkit disclosure is coming with these features implemented.

If you are so sure then just bet you GAF account on it.

If you are so sure then just bet you GAF account on it.
You don't believe your own post? I do!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34600248&postcount=49 said:
Just about everything should see sweeping changes this year.
Windows Phone operating system is supposed to be compatible in some way with the just released current Xbox dashboard. Microsoft probably has plans similar to Sony's and Sony purchased the Ericsson stake in Sony-Ericsson.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/nokia-ceo-stephen-elop-rallies-troops-in-brutally-honest-burnin/ said:
The battle of devices has now become a war of ecosystems, where ecosystems include not only the hardware and software of the device, but developers, applications, ecommerce, advertising, search, social applications, location-based services, unified communications and many other things. Our competitors aren't taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem. This means we're going to have to decide how we either build, catalyse or join an ecosystem.
Nokia recently dropped QT Linux MeeGo (QT/Cairo/Gstreamer/webkit) in favor of Windows Phone and joined the Microsoft ecosystem.

"ecosystems include not only the hardware and software of the device, but developers, applications, ecommerce, advertising, search, social applications, location-based services, unified communications and many other things." Sony is implementing their own ecosystem just like Apple's and Microsoft is doing the same!

The only ecosystems out there are:

Apple - iOS
Google - Android
Sony - Android & Gnome (Native or through Mono (PS Suite)
Microsoft - Windows Phone

If you aren't part of the Ecosystem you are at a disadvantage.

YOU ! You made me jump into it again.
Noticed you posted this in BY3D:

Crackle and CinemaNow apps join Xbox Live today
http://www.shacknews.com/article/722...box-live-today

Quote:
Two more entertainment apps are available to download off Xbox Live today: the Crackle app from Sony Pictures and CinemaNow from Best Buy.

CinemaNow allows Xbox Live Gold members to buy and rent movies and TV shows. (Why anyone would do this instead of using the Zune Marketplace, we're not entirely sure.) Crackle offers "thousands of full-length movies and TV shows" for free.
I have a question and a possible answer: Why is a Sony Free site, Crackle available on the Xbox Dashboard as an APP but we have to access it through the Netfront browser. There is an IPTV DASH player in the PS3 that is used with the Home client so we know one is in the PS3. Webkit can be used and it can be full screen which eliminates the need for GTK widgets and Hulu is available from the XMB as a full screen app. It's a free app which eliminates issues with using the OpenMAX IL codecs.

Possible reasons:

1) The PS3 is using Gstreamer for AV and Sony is limiting it's use as they have not yet legally LGPL disclosed. If they were using their own player they could have provided free APP support in 2009. If Gstreamer is being used for AV, this Spring when the Playmemories Studio app is released should also have Sony disclosing Gstreamer and the Crackle app and others will be available in the PSN Store.

2) Sony wants to release all apps at the same time. This does not make much sense as there are potentially 100+ free apps. Sony's FREE Crackle app on Xbox first?

patsu

It may be just a corporate thing. Sony may not have allocated budget to do a Crackle app. Microsoft may have a corporate direction to focus on pure apps (They may not want a web browser experience to mess with their user experience).

It may be just a corporate thing. Sony may not have allocated budget to do a Crackle app. Microsoft may have a corporate direction to focus on pure apps (They may not want a web browser experience to mess with their user experience).
You do know that with an existing framework, which we know exists (Charles Ying), providing an app like Crackle is nearly as simple as providing a link for the Netfront Browser. No custom menu and no DRM issues make it 5 lines of code + framework (from examples in this thread of webview).

Yes it could be a corporate thing but Crackle, a Sony Pictures site to promote Sony is first on the Xbox? That would be pretty stupid if it's only a Corporate choice. Edit: I Take that back, Promoting Sony pictures on the Xbox could be pretty smart.

I'm still guessing <sigh>.

More like they don;t want you accessing things on the web that mean you spend less time spending money in their ecosystem.

patsu

You do know that with an existing framework, which we know exists (Charles Ying), providing an app like Crackle is nearly as simple as providing a link for the Netfront Browser. No custom menu and no DRM issues make it 5 lines of code + framework (from examples in this thread of webview).

Yes it could be a corporate thing but Crackle, a Sony Pictures site to promote Sony is first on the Xbox? That would be pretty stupid if it's only a Corporate choice. Edit: I Take that back, Promoting Sony pictures on the Xbox could be pretty smart.

I'm still guessing <sigh>.

Yeah, it's simple but someone has to support the app. They may be swarmed with work now. Crackle is based on ads revenue. So yes, the more exposure the better.

More like they don;t want you accessing things on the web that mean you spend less time spending money in their ecosystem.

Yes, but I was only addressing the UI part. i.e. Why not just run the Crackle app like a web page. You can still do it without exposing 360 to the entire Internet.

Top Bottom