• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick Menu improvements are nice. Not a huge update though. We'll see if there's any cool additional features once the beta hits. The past couple's best features for me weren't outlined beforehand.

EmiPrime

Decent update for families.

I don't know why some of you were expecting something massive just because this is a .0 release; so far it has always been the .5 releases that have had the exciting additions (remote play, external hdd, boost mode) while .0 releases have been about social enhancements.

Midas

Thank you. Black notifications again. Solid update, nothing earth shattering, but somtimes that is what you get. Calm down.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Decent update for families.

I don't know why some of you were expecting something massive just because this is a .0 release; so far it has always been the .5 releases that have had the exciting additions (remote play, external hdd, boost mode) while .0 releases have been about social enhancements.

The family update is massive, and it's a total overhaul of how PS4 fundamentally works for a household.

Plus they added in per user settings which is what every platform needs (Nintendo I'm giving you the Luigi Death Stare).

I wonder if this means you can finally promote someone from a child to an adult account now.

GAF gonna act like this is no big deal though.

Hexa

The family update is massive, and it's a total overhaul of how PS4 fundamentally works for a household.

Plus they added in per user settings which is what every platform needs (Nintendo I'm giving you the Luigi Death Stare).

I wonder if this means you can finally promote someone from a child to an adult account now.

The ability to go from sub to master has existed for some time now.

bennibop

To be honest I am fairly happy with the changes, seems to be a streamlining/improvement update. There will be a few hidden changes there always are and some changes don't make it into the beta.

Its ridiculous to expect huge changes at each update.

ISee

Is there a chance for the always down-sample on fullHD displays feature to still come with 5.0?

there is a lot of little things that add up pretty well here.

Most importantly, its about fucking time something other than steam let you actually organize your damn friends list.

t hicks

Banned
Meh update, but I'm fine with the quick menu changes
Anyone who signed up for the beta get an email yet? Nothing here

Is everyone forgetting that boost mode wasn't advertised at all when that beta was released and was found by users?

If system wide down sampling is a thing they probably wouldn't highlight it anyway.

Guymelef

People saying this shouldn't be called 5.0 and things like that surely don't remember 3.0 witch was basically social features.

giphy.gif

The friends list management sounds great! I know many of us have always wanted to put together a custom list of only Gaffers, or only people that we play certain games with. That will be a great feature.

Lots of little cool additions no big wow news...

B/C for older games is Sony's last big thing with firmware though, besides name changes which I don't think is happening.

Outside of b/c though, it's pretty solid OS, so hard to complain when plain Jane updates come out.
I'm sure some of this will actually be useful too just not exciting to discuss.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Have they fixed how utterly fucked the video player is yet with many video files going out of sync with the audio?

Mikey Jr.

Jesus.

We waited half a year for this garbage?

It would nice if this was an optional update. I wouldn't even bother.

ocean

Banned
Gamers ask for:

PSN Name change
A backwards compatibility solution for at least some of their older platforms
System-wide downsampling
Consistent download speeds

Sony delivers:

Updated parental controls
Hey would you like your notification pop up to be black or white?

Audioboxer

Gamers ask for:

PSN Name change
System-wide downsampling

Sony delivers:

Putting the price up for PS Plus by 25%

MattAces

Gamers ask for:

PSN Name change
System-wide downsampling

Sony delivers:

People also asked for boost mode and hard drive support, they delivered.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gamers ask for:

PSN Name change
System-wide downsampling

Sony delivers:

Everyone I know who has a family has been asking for better parental controls on all electronic devices for years now. Most platforms are either convulted and woefully inefficient or else have non existent parental controls.

I guess all of us parents aren't "gamers" though.

Necron

Well, it looks like a lot of things on the list but it's nothing that really interests me personally.

Top Bottom