• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

Neither new features for the final version (like playing PS1 games or PS3 backward compatibility) nor the rumored 2 extra free movies and 2 extra free PS NOW games of choice after the unjstified PS Plus price increase.
If the next update doesn't bring any of those then they will never do it. I thought Sony would be smart enough to offer something valuable in order to counter the release of XB O X and all the great features it offers. Not to mention that the XB1 already offers some features the PS4 didn't get the honor to meet like previous gen backward compatibility, in default of the extra features the XB O X offers like automatic improvements of any game.
Sony really needs to care about their customers much more.

VariantX

Neither new features for the final version (like playing PS1 games or PS3 backward compatibility) nor the rumored 2 extra free movies and 2 extra free PS NOW games of choice after the unjstified PS Plus price increase.
If the next update doesn't bring any of those then they will never do it. I thought Sony would be smart enough to offer something valuable in order to counter the release of XB O X and all the great features it offers. Not to mention that the XB1 already offers some features the PS4 didn't get the honor to meet like previous gen backward compatibility, in default of the extra features the XB O X offers like automatic improvements of any game.

Microsoft only does what it does because they're not the market leader anymore. Sony is comfortable and they would offer more if it were a closer race.

CEJames

Features? It's all about the gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaameeeezzzz and Sony has that in spades.

Behlel

Sorry but you're saying a lot of nonsense, first because Sony have a lot of features that xbox doesn't have (like share play, remote play and the built in gallery on the system).
The price increase of PS+ have nothing to do with PS Now and Movies (10€/$ at year for having movies and PS Now games? lol) but they've put their price in line with the Live Gold, and if you're hones enough you have to admit that the PS+ offer is way better than the Live With Gold.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Don’t you think that the FW may actually be a big change for developers perhaps? As I said in my previous post, the amount of developer side changes in each iOS or macOS release dwarfs the user visible changes.

Don't you think that the FW may actually be a big change for developers perhaps? As I said in my previous post, the amount of developer side changes in each iOS or macOS release dwarfs the user visible changes.

Maybe, who knows. Maybe in the near future, Sony may free up more VRAM for the consoles and devs to allow more demanding games to take advantage of. The XB O X was supposed to allow only 8 GB VRAM for games but in the final stages it was changed to 9 GB. Sony could unlock at least 1 GB more.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
General users don’t care about this stuff though. The ones that do are the highly technical minority or console warriors.

So essentially only NEEeEERDSS!!! and console warrior fanboys actually care about the tools that actually make their games possible? This would explain why some developers feel that their community is toxic... if it were true and I hope it is not.

Before 5.00, you were only able to follow Verified Accounts, but now you can follow any user without having to be friends with them (subject to privacy settings).

So THAT'S why only the same fucking 50 or so people were always in the Follow list. This had been really picking at me. I thought there was a bug in the software or something.

Sony is massively wasting a big occasion not publicising those Developer SDK related API changes/improvements and tools like Apple does at WWDC which always filters out (and the keynote is public). Gamers play games and games are made and depend on stuff nobody publicly talks about, massive PR opportunity loss.
I agree, but I think it's because Sony has become perhaps more "arrogant" this gen.

Back in the PS3 era, we often had news and presentations like these:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/02/23/70mb-of-additional-ram-unlocked-for-ps3-developers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0CXkyoWjg

Microsoft only does what it does because they're not the market leader anymore. Sony is comfortable and they would offer more if it were a closer race.
Exactly. It's a matter of competition.

Neith

Banned
Well they fixed the HDMI issues, and I am very thankful for that. Give this FW one more polish pass and the PS4 UI is the best in the business IMO.

Top Bottom