• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

I wish they could at least give us some sort of info for the Beta 6 release date. I really don't want to roll back to 4.7, especially if it's going to cause issues with folders and having to redownload certain content but I don't know how long I can resist being able to play Destiny 2 for.

Guppeth

I wish they could at least give us some sort of info for the Beta 6 release date. I really don't want to roll back to 4.7, especially if it's going to cause issues with folders and having to redownload certain content but I don't know how long I can resist being able to play Destiny 2 for.

Yeah same here. I'm glad Xur isn't selling anything I want. I'd normally be irritated that the first ever Xur is an anticlimax, but right now I don't mind.

Toe-Knee

Yeah same here. I'm glad Xur isn't selling anything I want. I'd normally be irritated that the first ever Xur is an anticlimax, but right now I don't mind.

I rolled back today so I could play destiny. My folders are all fine the only thing that came out of them was the TV & video but and I just bunged it back on my apps folder and that was it.

Can't guarantee you will be OK but I expected far more to go wrong for me as everything's split into 4 or 5 folders.

Edit;

Oh actually one weird thing happened infamous second son was installed twice the disc version which I don't own and the plus version. I just deleted the disc copy.

I rolled back today so I could play destiny. My folders are all fine the only thing that came out of them was the TV & video but and I just bunged it back on my apps folder and that was it.

Can't guarantee you will be OK but I expected far more to go wrong for me as everything's split into 4 or 5 folders.

Edit;

Oh actually one weird thing happened infamous second son was installed twice the disc version which I don't own and the plus version. I just deleted the disc copy.

Did you have to redownload updates or any of the games you installed since 5.0 came out? That's what I'm most worried about. Bought Destiny 2 digitally, so I'd hate to have to redownload that since that's the whole reason I'm tempted to roll back in the first place.

Gradly

I left my ps4 Pro on standby and I reverted back to firmware 4 automatically. I also got lots of updates for games I haven’t played in long time like Hitman, inFamous:SS, MGSV, U4, WD2, Tearaway, Fifa17, LBP3, etc and a bunch of apps :(

Toe-Knee

Did you have to redownload updates or any of the games you installed since 5.0 came out? That's what I'm most worried about. Bought Destiny 2 digitally, so I'd hate to have to redownload that since that's the whole reason I'm tempted to roll back in the first place.

Just let it die had an update but I think that may have already been in progress.

Dunno if it matters but all games are installed on the internal drive.

Just let it die had an update but I think that may have already been in progress.

Dunno if it matters but all games are installed on the internal drive.
Phew between yours and few other posts I’ve seen I decided to just go ahead and downgrade. Didn’t lose anything fortunately and everything still seems to be in tact.

Definitely noticably slower than 5.0 at least with a PS4 Pro and going to miss the black notifications, but hoping 5.0 comes out soon enough. Might just wait for the official release at this point. Still seems ridiculous they would lock out beta users who are likely the most hardcore of their base and prevent them from playing online in specific games with no information as to how long it’s going to last for.

The quick menu refinements are really nice, in stark contrast to all the claims that this release brings nothing of value.
Unfortunately the Quick Menu regressions are really annoying too, so it's one step forward and two steps back.

They got rid of Favourite Groups and replaced it with Custom Lists. Unfortunately you could have your Favourite Groups in the Quick Menu and easily see which people in the group were online, and what they were playing.

Custom Lists can't be added to the Quick Menu though, so that functionality is gone in firmware 5.00. I used that way more than just about anything else in the Quick Menu, so the ability to leave parties a little faster is small recompense for its loss IMHO.

I really hope beta 6 comes today. I don't want to roll back and potentially have issues. Although at the same time I would like to play destiny 2. I don't understand why they couldn't have pushed the 4.74 fix as beta 6 and turned whatever was planned for beta 6 becomes beta 7.

MaKTaiL

I was automatically downgraded to 4.74 overnight and I fear I am locked out of the Beta for good. Sony, what were you thinking?

Rikkun

Had to roll back yesterday to enter parties, luckily destiny 2 wasn't affected but it put at least 120gb of updates in queue. Also destroyed one folder. I'll wait for the official rollout now.

onQ123

I think with this update it's going to be what we can't see that matters the most like changes made to the SDK freeing up resources or enabling hardware features that will be used in newer games. This is the 1st big FW update since the Vega GPUs have been released to if AMD drivers have improvements for the Vega features that are also part of the PS4 Pro hardware they should also make there way over to PS4 Pro.

I don't understand why they couldn't have pushed the 4.74 fix as beta 6 and turned whatever was planned for beta 6 becomes beta 7.
Probably because they don't want to accidentally brick your console.

When making the fix for 4.74, they would've tested it extensively internally before pushing it out. When it comes to adding that bug fix to the Beta, they're adding it to a pre-release firmware which is already in a state of flux and still not considered ready for release. They'd want to test it extensively internally first, before releasing it into the public beta, and obviously the actual retail firmware gets testing (and release) priority over a beta firmware.

I think with this update it's going to be what we can't see that matters the most like changes made to the SDK freeing up resources or enabling hardware features that will be used in newer games. This is the 1st big FW update since the Vega GPUs have been released to if AMD drivers have improvements for the Vega features that are also part of the PS4 Pro hardware they should also make there way over to PS4 Pro.
Sony doesn't use AMD's PC drivers. It's ICE Team that develops drivers for the PS4.

The one used in the ps4 pro is still that same one. (EDIT: i dont mean the drivers)
So as mark cerny was saying, they can use the features that AMD announced..

no?
I think you misunderstood my post.

Sony (and MS) get all the whitepapers they need from AMD to write their own, custom GPU drivers.

PS4 Pro has had RPM* available long before Vega was released... what happens in the PC (driver) space is irrelevant.

* http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-mantis-burn-racing-on-ps4-pro

onQ123

Sony doesn't use AMD's PC drivers. It's ICE Team that develops drivers for the PS4.

So you don't think that AMD would have some ideas that Sony didn't? I think if AMD make advances with their driver for these features they will also make their way to the PS4 Pro.

cozomel

Getting kicked back into 4.74, I can definitely tell you that 5.00 is definitely much smoother. Gawd damn does 4.74 feel rough in comparsion. And while people think there isnt much in 5.00, I sure do miss all the extra little details in it. Now i hope that everybody is right and i can get back into it with beta 6.

Zero315

Banned
And they still haven't said shit about the beta update... I've missed out on Destiny 2 and the Dragonball FighterZ beta thanks to this bullshit.

ZeroCoin

So the forced firmware update triggered a download, but didn't install it. Now when I go to system update it only prompts me to install that certain. Is there a way to delete that update so I can update my beta version?

Guppeth

So the forced firmware update triggered a download, but didn't install it. Now when I go to system update it only prompts me to install that certain. Is there a way to delete that update so I can update my beta version?

It did the same for me, but later it had it reverted to giving me the choice between 4.74 and 5.0b5. I'd turned off autodownloads and autorestart, but I don't know if that's why it reverted. I noticed it after waking from rest mode and checking for beta 6.

I did install 4.74 in the end, because I need my Destiny. No folders were broken and no games had to redownload updates so it was completely painless, but I guess I'm lucky there. Every single game (of 200) had been installed under 5.0 because the PS4 is brand new and I updated it to the beta immediately.

hawk2025

All my folders broke, a bunch of patches downloaded, and all because Sony STILL hasn't updated out of the beta for this ridiculously thin update.

Do they have a skeleton crew on firmware work at this point?

Popsickles

I wonder if the people that had broken folders and multiple game updates are the same people having crashes. I had no crashes and my folders were intact and no updates after the downgrade. I did have a random corrupt file though.

Briarios

omg I was just sitting here and the system forced the firmware rollback -- it's basically redownloading everything I have on my system, 100s of gbs. All my icons and folders were shuffled .... I'm fucking pissed.

BigEmil

omg I was just sitting here and the system forced the firmware rollback -- it's basically redownloading everything I have on my system, 100s of gbs. All my icons and folders were shuffled .... I'm fucking pissed.
The woes of signing up for betas.... It won't go smoothly all the time

Briarios

The woes of signing up for betas.... It won't go smoothly all the time

I've done PS betas since the PS2 ... I've never had this kind of issue where it forces a downgrade, then corrupts your data, and automatically reinstalls everything.

Edit: I'll add -- I had zero problems with the beta, it was the system hijack that fucked everything

Was anyone else unable to play Destiny 2 with the beta updates installed? My PS4 made me roll back to the previous non beta version last night.

cozomel

Was anyone else unable to play Destiny 2 with the beta updates installed? My PS4 made me roll back to the previous non beta version last night.

Yes, its a known issue with the FW, and its one of the main reasons that people have rolled back/update to the official 4.7.4. firmware. That and alot of people accidentally got rolled back because of their systems being set to automatic updates and installs.

Zero315

Banned
Not just Destiny 2, I haven't been able to play any online game since they rolled out 4.74.

The Ask PlayStation twitter account responded to someone and just said that beta 6 is "upcoming".

Toe-Knee

Not just Destiny 2, I haven't been able to play any online game since they rolled out 4.74.

The Ask PlayStation twitter account responded to someone and just said that beta 6 is "upcoming".

The only game that worked for me was shadowfall but that game is weird if worked when psn was down at Christmas a few years back but just brought up numbers as my player name

Zephyrous

Neo Member

For me it is a game to game basis, Destiny 2 didn't work but Nioh/Attack On Titan both allow me to play online. I am still on the Version 5 of the beta.

mollipen

That's really weird. I'm on Beta 5 and have been playing online and doing everything else just fine. *shrug* My system has 4.74 downloaded but I've been ignoring it with zero issue.

Zero315

Banned
For me it is a game to game basis, Destiny 2 didn't work but Nioh/Attack On Titan both allow me to play online. I am still on the Version 5 of the beta.
To be fair, the only two I've tried are Destiny 2 and Everybody's Golf and neither one would let me play. After that I just assumed it wouldn't let me connect with any online games.

I just got my first invite to the 5.00 beta program a few minutes ago. Does this mean there is a new beta build out now, and they want to broaden the testing audience?

ThisOne

I just got my first invite to the 5.00 beta program a few minutes ago. Does this mean there is a new beta build out now, and they want to broaden the testing audience?

I just got an invite too. Redeemed the code on the store but not sure how to access the beta after that. I go to settings and then System Software Update but it says that the latest version of system software is installed. Any ideas?

I go to settings and then System Software Update but it says that the latest version of system software is installed. Any ideas?

I don't think there's anything to try right now. They're waiting on a new Update 6 before you can load the beta. The earlier versions have been pulled since you can't play online with them.

jtan

Just got an invite. Not sure if i should join Beta 5 seeing how people are having all these issues with playing online games lol

Zero315

Banned
Just got an invite. Not sure if i should join Beta 5 seeing how people are having all these issues with playing online games lol
It's not a problem with the beta firmware. The problem is that Sony released 4.74 during the beta and now games are looking for that and ignoring the 5.00 beta.

I just got an invite too. Redeemed the code on the store but not sure how to access the beta after that. I go to settings and then System Software Update but it says that the latest version of system software is installed. Any ideas?
You guys probably have to wait for Beta 5.00v6 before you can get into the Beta.

The current retail firmware (4.74) is considered a later version than Beta 5.00v5, and if you read the other posts on this page you'll see that you probably don't want to jump into the Beta now before 5.00v6 anyway, especially if you're a Destiny player.

It's not a problem with the beta firmware. The problem is that Sony released 4.74 during the beta and now games are looking for that and ignoring the 5.00 beta.
Yeah any game that relies on the bug fixes in 4.74 (which aren't in the Beta yet, because those fixes were released in 4.74 after the 5.00v5 Beta) are set to require that firmware. Destiny 2 is the main game that requires it, but there might be others. Sony let all Beta members know that Beta 5.00v6 would include those fixes, and all we know is that Beta 5.00v6 is coming "soon."

Alright I redeemed my 5.00 beta code, but now it's not letting me actually download or update to 5.00.

Any tips?

Ahh... asked and answered.... nevermind

PrinceKee

Guess I'll be reentering the Beta at 6 then. I rolled back to 4.74 when I installed Beta 5 v1 and it almost bricked my PS4.

I didn’t even know about the 4.74 bug. My system is set to auto update and I turn on my system and I don’t have 5.00 any more. When is 6 coming?

Top Bottom