• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

Lady Gaia

So which most-demanded feature is there left for Sony to add to the PS4 besides the ability to change your PSN ID? Is there anything?

The ability for force rendering as if a 4K display was connected and downsample for 1080p output is certainly mentioned here often.

PS1 backwards compatibility?

The ability for force rendering as if a 4K display was connected and downsample for 1080p output is certainly mentioned here often.

Pro downsampling and PS1/2 compatibility.

I forgot about downsampling. Yeah, that would be swell. Is it something that the PS4 Pro could do at the OS level, without input from the game itself?

I guess backwards compatibility would be good for posterity's sake. Personally, I wouldn't use it. But it would be great for those that would, yeah.

Planet

I am actually enjoying some of the small features in this update, especially the UI performance upgrades. The new groups are very welcome to order your friends list, we got black notifications back, also finally one for trophies in VR.

I am actually enjoying some of the small features in this update, especially the UI performance upgrades. The new groups are very welcome to order your friends list, we got black notifications back, also finally one for trophies in VR.
I've mentioned it before but it really annoys me that the Custom Friends Lists can't be put in the Quick Menu, unlike the old Favourite Groups which it's replaced.

Does this update break Remote Play? It tends to be the case, but this update doesn't seem to make changes to the feature in any way so I hope it won't. I need RP this weekend so I'll try the beta next week if I can't use it.

Spaulding

Does this update break Remote Play? It tends to be the case, but this update doesn't seem to make changes to the feature in any way so I hope it won't. I need RP this weekend so I'll try the beta next week if I can't use it.

RP worked for me at least on Beta 4. You can also always revert back to the stable firmware...

Kinan

For a beta firmware codename Nobunaga...aka one of the most (in)famous warlord in japanese history, this firmware sure seems 'small'.

HooYaH said:
Quite surprised at the length of the Beta for a lackluster list.

This makes me think that there should be some big behind the scene stuff, like less memory blocked for OS/more memory for devs, new dev options for Pro/VR, something like that.

It does notify you, but it doesn't automatically install it for you.

I'm at work so I can't access the forums, but did they say what changed?

cozomel

So which most-demanded feature is there left for Sony to add to the PS4 besides the ability to change your PSN ID? Is there anything?

I would also say Pro downsampling, PS1/2 compatibility, PSN ID change and trophy tracking like on the X1 would be the main things I would like to see.

Oh also, real custom themes like on the PS3 and not just custom background pics.

Also in case people havent noticed (I dont know if it started with this beta or not) but alot of save files are now smaller (3.15MB vs 10.49MB or at least smaller than their original 10.49MB size) some games that I've noticed this on is Infamous Sec. Son, Warframe, Shadow of Mordor and more.

Also in case people havent noticed (Im dont know if it started with this beta or not) but alot of save files are now smaller (3.15MB vs 10.49MB or at least smaller than their original 10.49MB size) some games that I've noticed this on is Infamous Sec. Son, Warframe, Shadow of Mordor and more.

That should help cloud save space greatly

cozomel

That should help cloud save space greatly

Yeah, plus i also forgot to mention that my PS3 cloud saves added up to almost 1 gig before, around 900-something and now they only add up to 500 something. So Sony has done something, definitely some kind of compression going on.

On Beta 5 and still can't install DLC, it fully downloads but stops at "Waiting to install". Sony plz.

For me, it would say "copying" and would stay at 0% or move at a total snail's pace. It's why I rolled back to the current firmware. Word of warning though, if you have games installed to an external hard drive with custom folders, rolling back causes those folders to disappear and the games to be out on the main menu unorganized (games downloaded to system storage remain in their original folders).

Top Bottom