• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

The laggy homescreen on the Pro has been a thing since the Pro was released.

The UI in general has a bit of stutter which hasn't been ironed out. PlayStation needs to keep working on their optimizations for a smoother UI like the ones you see in Apple Iphones!

I'm using the Beta on a PS4 Pro with Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD internal, and a small SSD external. No problems here.

Stay safe, i wish you the best of luck.

Could just be a freak coincidence, I once had a hard drive die 30 minutes after updating windows

I've seen stuff like that, this is just way too much coincidence but yeah, it can happen.

The drive is 100% dead, it's not even spinning when connecting just a sata power cable, it literally died.

jiiikoo

Banned
A few people have mentioned that. Does rebuilding the database help? I had a similar issue a few weeks prior to the Beta firmware, and rebuilding the database fixed it instantly.

Thanks! This seems to have helped quite a lot. The UI can be a bit laggy while a game is loading, but after that it's as smooth as ever. Also I didn't notice any slowdowns in Borderlands 2 yet, but didn't have a lot of time to check. Thank you so much!

Toe-Knee

Anyone find any hidden features yet?
Nope just additional info like in the display output information page that now lists possible supported display frequencies

And share displays info about where exactly your video /screenshot will be displayed and that you should get permission from other people when streaming mp stuff etc

BigEmil

Stay safe, i wish you the best of luck.

I've seen stuff like that, this is just way too much coincidence but yeah, it can happen.

The drive is 100% dead, it's not even spinning when connecting just a sata power cable, it literally died.
Seagate drives has a kinda high failure rate, if it's still within years of purchase you still got warranty with Seagate in exchange for a new one afaik

This beta made changing themes display an error and break. The error said you need to update your system software (meaning reverting back to previous one).

Anyone find any hidden features yet?

The only ones I could find is they removed favorites/lists from the quick access menu.
You have to scroll through all your online friends and if they're appearing offline you have to go to the home screen to find them.

Also your avatar shows up in the settings menu instead of the PSN logo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
You know what's awesome? Literally not being able to open Rocket League on 5.0 because it crashes on the splash screen.

cozomel

Wow, this is the most problems I've ever read about on one of these beta updates. Whats going on with Sony? Not to mention, that it was delayed (from early Aug.) and came out at beta update ver.3. and its still seems to be buggy as heck according to all these reports. There must have been much bigger changes behind the scenes then meets the eye.

Wow, this is the most problems I've ever read about on one of these beta updates. Whats going on with Sony? Not to mention, that it was delayed (from early Aug.) and came out at beta update ver.3. and its still seems to be buggy as heck according to all these reports. There must have been much bigger changes behind the scenes then meets the eye.
This is the purpose of the beta. To discover issues with it across a wide install base. It's not to get the new firmware earlier than anyone else. If you don't like bugs, roll back the firmware.

RedAssedApe

Banned

well i hope you reported your problems using the bug report tool because that's kind of the whole point of these things.

Rellik

well i hope you reported your problems using the bug report tool because that's kind of the whole point of these things.

I've definitely reported all mine before downgrading because this beta is by the far the buggiest I've come across on a PS4. But I'm not hopeful. I've reported issues in past betas that were still there when the full release came around.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I do think it's worth noting that this seems to be one of the most (if not the most) problematic betas Sony has put out for PS4.

I mean, I've never straight up been blocked from launching a game before.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I've definitely reported all mine before downgrading because this beta is by the far the buggiest I've come across on a PS4. But I'm not hopeful. I've reported issues in past betas that were still there when the full release came around.

yeah they usually at least have a couple of public beta builds before the final release so fingers crossed. i don't think i've had any issues so far.

ui is super laggy when uncharted lost legacy is running but that doesn't seem abnormal as i've seen other games in the past that have felt like this in non-beta firmware

Yesterday,official PlayStation_TW said 5.0 system software update will soon be released.

uPUoYbj.jpg

Looks like we don't have to wait too much longer.

cozomel

I think this is the first beta where im gonna downgrade the very sluggish ui is pissing me off way to much

I keep hearing this from people on here but for me its the smoothest its ever been. There is hardly any hitching or stuttering at all compare to before for me, so its obvious that people are getting different outcomes from this beta and i own a US launch unit with a Seagate ST2000LM003 2TB internal drive and a Seagate ST4000LM016 4TB external. However i do get hitching and stuttering from some games (Not A Hero, MKX, DS3 and Mafia 3's cutscene and more!) on the external. I which that would get fixed already. But it was like that before this update (ever since 4.50)

kowhai

I think this is the first beta where im gonna downgrade the very sluggish ui is pissing me off way to much

I ended up downgrading. When booting up Dark Souls 3 it said the DLC was missing. I had to redownload the game and DLC again. This happened twice.

After downgrading everything is fine again. I hope this is ironed out before general release.

Guymelef

No. That's always been in the menu when you press down on the game.

Is that located in the same place? If so, it looks like they've changed the look. Do you still see a thumbnail of your add ons before you view them?

It's not exactly the same.
What have always been in the menu it's your purchased add-ons, even if you don't have them installed.
What is new is that list with what add-ons you have installed.

cozomel

No. That's always been in the menu when you press down on the game.

Is that located in the same place? If so, it looks like they've changed the look. Do you still see a thumbnail of your add ons before you view them?

It's definitely new, the view installed add ons button was never there before this update. And this method makes it easier to see the add ons/DLC

glaurung

The beta has barely been out and is soon to be officially released.

There's nothing major to test.

Pointless.
Closed beta has been going for over a month. People who signed up were accepted into the third iteration of the 5.00 firmware beta. Try and be less ignorant about things you do not comprehend.

Vashetti

Banned
Closed beta has been going for over a month. People who signed up were accepted into the third iteration of the 5.00 firmware beta. Try and be less ignorant about things you do not comprehend.

I understand completely, no need to be rude.

There's simply nothing major in this beta to test. They may as well have kept it closed.

glaurung

I understand completely, no need to be rude.

There's simply nothing major in this beta to test. They may as well have kept it closed.
Sorry, bad day for me.

I've been in the beta for a real long time, early builds had random crashes, things have been added. 1080p/60fps streaming is a rather huge change, as is the changes to the account management.

Mengetsu

From Reddit: The Quick Menu no longer defaults to the first customizable slot, and now will re-open to what you had when you closed the Quick Menu.

In addition, Sharing songs that you are listening to via Spotify can now be shared via Messages.

In the PS4 messages, it will say "'Username' has shared a song with the group." and will have a icon to click on that will open the Quick Menu to play it via Spotify.

If you try to view the song on PS Messages, currently no song will appear. I assume this will be updated when the firmware goes public and the PS Messages app will recieve a compatibility update to coincide with it.

Top Bottom