• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Coming to a Best Buy near you

jacobs34

I was in a Best Buy last night and the manager basically told me they had some in stock but I had to come back Sunday to pick one up, which really bums me out because it's an hour and a half drive to get to one. I was ready to buy one on the spot, but I'm not to keen on getting up at five in the morning just so I can wait in line to buy one. Looks like I'll be waiting until after Christmas to pick one up.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
People should wait anyway. In retrospect I wish I had, there's nothing to play on this thing for a few months yet.

You know, I thought this before launch.. but post launch:

LOTS of NFS
LOTS of ACIV
beat contrast
a little bit of Resogun
halfway through couch co-op on Tiny Brains
a little bit of Knack

I want Escape Plan actually kind of bad, but with all the other money I've spent and no sale on it, I'm holding off.. May not hold off on Doki Doki Universe next week though.

Overall there's been a ton to play on it... I think people look at the cross-gen stuff as not a compelling reason to get the system... but overall that line of thinking is highly flawed. You are (presumably) going to buy that stuff. You are going to (presumably) buy the PS4. Unless you are waiting for a price drop, the fact remains that you will eventually buy the system at $499 and eventually play those games. So why not combine the two and eventually play those games on the PS4?

People want that ONE SINGLE system seller to "justify" their purchase.. Like it looking incredible and blowing them away will somehow justify the purchase better than sinking dozens or hundreds of hours on half a dozen to a dozen other smaller titles... Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And with "yeah but I can get that stuff on PS360".. I mean you could have gotten Madden 2008 on PS2 and XBox... but you didn't because buying a new game on last gen hardware seems kind of silly if you are planning on jumping into the current gen within the next 4-6 months anyway...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What a bunch of assholes... I have to work on Sunday. Make people stand in line out in the fucking cold for a chance to buy one instead of just let people reserve online for pickup?

Wtf. douches.

You know, I thought this before launch.. but post launch:

LOTS of NFS
LOTS of ACIV
beat contrast
a little bit of Resogun
halfway through couch co-op on Tiny Brains
a little bit of Knack

I want Escape Plan actually kind of bad, but with all the other money I've spent and no sale on it, I'm holding off.. May not hold off on Doki Doki Universe next week though.

Overall there's been a ton to play on it... I think people look at the cross-gen stuff as not a compelling reason to get the system... but overall that line of thinking is highly flawed. You are (presumably) going to buy that stuff. You are going to (presumably) buy the PS4. Unless you are waiting for a price drop, the fact remains that you will eventually buy the system at $499 and eventually play those games. So why not combine the two and eventually play those games on the PS4?

People want that ONE SINGLE system seller to "justify" their purchase.. Like it looking incredible and blowing them away will somehow justify the purchase better than sinking dozens or hundreds of hours on half a dozen to a dozen other smaller titles... Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And with "yeah but I can get that stuff on PS360".. I mean you could have gotten Madden 2008 on PS2 and XBox... but you didn't because buying a new game on last gen hardware seems kind of silly if you are planning on jumping into the current gen within the next 4-6 months anyway...

Honestly, AC4 and KZSF has been keeping me pretty busy. I mean damn, how fast do people move from game to game nowadays? I'm barely at like 20% or something in AC4 and got a long way to go to get my $60's worth. By the time I finish that, I'll probably get BF4 and then play that all the way until Infamous Second Son.

satori

People should wait anyway. In retrospect I wish I had, there's nothing to play on this thing for a few months yet.

I did a double take here. Yeah maybe for you but I am having a blast from both console. More so with the ps4 offerings. Top 3 games I have been putting a ton of time in to thus far has been AC4, NBA2k14, and NFS. And seriously having a blast playing Marvel lego with my son when I get home from work. I have not even open BF4 and barely got into Killzone as well due to those other 3 games.

As a former best buy employee yes they do this all the time. They have their chalktalk crap prep for sunday ad and pray every person who comes in gets it with many extras and gadgets some very stupid "deals" like forcing you to check off crap on ur ticket. When it comes to best buy just go every sunday for ur next gen console hunting. You'll rarely miss. Get there at 7:15-7:30 and you'll get a ticket. Last time I went I happened to fall in the line for ps4 when I was just getting a vita.....shouldve got it oh well.

Evolved1

As a former best buy employee yes they do this all the time. They have their chalktalk crap prep for sunday ad and pray every person who comes in gets it with many extras and gadgets some very stupid "deals" like forcing you to check off crap on ur ticket. When it comes to best buy just go every sunday for ur next gen console hunting. You'll rarely miss. Get there at 7:15-7:30 and you'll get a ticket. Last time I went I happened to fall in the line for ps4 when I was just getting a vita.....shouldve got it oh well.

They don't open till 11... so you have to stand there for hours in the cold to get a ticket?

AwShucks

What benefit would waiting have given you? You'd have to wait quite a while for any price drop, so at least you got to play Resogun and anything else now.

LOL so ps4s aren't continuing to sell out they are just holding back stock and were never available. So stupid. Let people hunt for them when shipments come.

This always happens. They want a minimum stock that they can advertise on their flyers instead of wasting people's time.

LOL so ps4s aren't continuing to sell out they are just holding back stock and were never available. So stupid. Let people hunt for them when shipments come.

Work at a Best Buy and we've been completely sold out until this week, everyone in our district has and I'm guessing it's the same for other territories as well...I also agree that Ad Holds are retarded but yeah, it's not like they've been sitting on consoles for weeks...

gcubed

sooo.... how crazy is it on opening then? the one near me will have it available but i dont want to show up and have a big line. Id rather just wait

They don't open till 11... so you have to stand there for hours in the cold to get a ticket?

Not every best buy opens at 11 on Sunday my local best buy opens at 8 during holidays

Edit: to clarify best buy in east like my local one in philly. No idea how it'd work out for other districts further out west.

sooo.... how crazy is it on opening then? the one near me will have it available but i dont want to show up and have a big line. Id rather just wait

Like others have said most stores will have a ticket process that they'll start I'm guessing around an hour before open, all depends on the store. Get a ticket your guaranteed a console for that day*.

Our store opens at 10 and my buddies have been asking non stop & I pretty much told them to get there around 830-9. If it's cold wait in your car until you see someone else walk up then hop in line.

My specific store has around 20-30 now I believe, but again every location is different so don't take my word for exact numbers

Like others have said most stores will have a ticket process that they'll start I'm guessing around an hour before open, all depends on the store. Get a ticket your guaranteed a console for that day*.

Our store opens at 10 and my buddies have been asking non stop & I pretty much told them to get there around 830-9. If it's cold wait in your car until you see someone else walk up then hop in line.

My specific store has around 20-30 now I believe, but again every location is different so don't take my word for exact numbers

Yeah pretty much best advice may not be first person but you see a line of 5 or so people get ready to get out your car and wait.

Evolved1

Not every best buy opens at 11 on Sunday my local best buy opens at 8 during holidays

I guess it's 10 am... idk... being forced to stand outside in the cold for hours to purchase a thing already in stock, that has already had its launch seems really unreasonable.

But if that's the way these stores operate... probably gonna be a while before I get a system.

johnny956

Yea its decent numbers. My store has about 65-75 (we are a pretty large store). Most the other stores around 20-30

I guess it's 10 am... idk... being forced to stand outside in the cold for hours to purchase a thing already in stock, that has already had its launch seems really unreasonable.

But if that's the way these stores operate... probably gonna be a while before I get a system.

Unfortunately that's retail with a hot commodity during the holiday season. They're not kind either if you didn't make it in line for a ticket too. I felt sorry for a guy who missed line by a few minutes and I gave him my spot after seeing the way the situation was handled.

Evolved1

Yea its decent numbers. My store has about 65-75 (we are a pretty large store). Most the other stores around 20-30

Hmm... 20-30 means I could sit in my car until the line started to form.

Let me ask this... will the store say how many they have if I call and ask? I'm a clerk, and if someone calls to inquire about our stock, we tell them. But these electronics stores seem to have weird rules.

Because there are games on Wii U, 3DS, & PS3 that I want to buy at the moment. The PS4 can wait.

That's why I said if you have the money. It's not any more cost effective to wait a year to buy one compared to right now, unless you need that money for something else.

johnny956

Let me ask this... will the store say how many they have if I call and ask? I'm a clerk, and if someone calls to inquire about our stock, we tell them. But these electronics stores seem to have weird rules.

It's up to the employee. I believe officially we aren't suppose to give out numbers but many will. It's very simple to look up in our system as a employee.

Evolved1 sent you a PM :)

I doubt it.

Sales floor reps & MCSA (phones) are told never to give direct numbers. Some slip up I'm sure so you could try.

jacobs34

It would be great if Amazon would get some stock in this weekend. There is no way I'm waking up at six AM just to drive to my closest Best Buy and wait in line to maybe get one.

Phades

I'm never a fan of those select event type things, just shelve it and sell it. I don't see how some media hype is going to promote the store by using a product that won't be on the shelf for more than a few minutes.

In other news. The number of PS4 units up for resale on Monday rose suprisingly. Sources continue speculate where these units originate from.

sarcasm, but i hope it doesn't come to pass

This is sooo much like the early Wii days.

Exactly how the wii days were. At best buy we would hold 50 wiis at a time and only say we had a handful so we can make the department more money by attaching the heck out of it with games. A sale with the wii was only considered successful if we attached 2 games a controller an extra accessory and replacement plan with it. Best buy is crap but I may be slanted against just causr that was my first job lol not a good introduction into retail world with just job being in holidays lol.

I am never dealing with best buy again.. I purchased my ps4 online with them (in Canada) and after my purchase had went through, I went back on there site to see how much stock was left. They had 86 in stock at that time. later in the evening I called to change my payment method only to find out I didn't get a ps4 because I didn't make the cut (wtf?) And I am on a waitlist according to there incredinly rude v customer service agent.
/rant

I am never dealing with best buy again.. I purchased my ps4 online with them (in Canada) and after my purchase had went through, I went back on there site to see how much stock was left. They had 86 in stock at that time. later in the evening I called to change my payment method only to find out I didn't get a ps4 because I didn't make the cut (wtf?) And I am on a waitlist according to there incredinly rude v customer service agent.
/rant

That's because the used the majority of that initial stock to save for Sunday's event. I'm just kidding of course but would not be surprised if it actually happened that way.

I hate being in situations like this where your searching for la hard to find item. It can be fun but also stressful depending how much effort or time you put into looking for one. (or how bad you want it) I always go balls to the wall when looking for something I really want; I can't really help it. I blame it on my obsessive compulsive disorder. :)

Cornbread78

Wal-Mart is also getting some for when their next flyer starts,which I believe is Sunday as well. My store got two cases in last night and they are not being made availible until the flyer start. Total BS, but they have to be held. Funny part is as soon as the stock was confirmed received last night, it showed online and people started callign for them, too bad, we could only tell them, we had none for sale. Also, if the sale doesn't start until 12/15, management will still hold them from public sale until the flyer sale starts for that week... I HATE THAT POLICY!

Pro-tip: If there is no time stamp for the sale, and just the date 12/8, then the 24hr Wal-Mart should have them availible at midnight (Sat night going into Sun.), so you can nab them before the following morning.

No they don't, well at least in Canada. Unless the ad says minimum 10 per store (during some launch) or is guaranteeing it'll be there, there is no impetus to keep any on hand because a new flyer advertised it.

Well here in Murrica nobody wants to get sued. Not having stock for something advertised would fall under Bait-and-switch false advertising. Holding stock is common so that they have enough to satisfy the ad. At cheapassgamer, it's how we know when things will be in stock. We go purely by the ad. If it's advertised it WILL be there. Might not be huge quantities but it's there.

I already have a PS4 but I think I'll get one for my brother for Christmas. Best Buys have gotten really good with their line management in the past 5 or so years. The last hot ticket item I bought I went to stand in line and a clerk just gave me a ticket and said I got one. I went back into my car to wait until the store opened and he stayed there turning people away after they had given away all the tickets.

Pimpwerx

FML. Looks like I'll pass by the Aventura one around 10-1030 Sunday morning to see if there's a long line. If there's more than 10 people waiting, then I'll probably just go to work. If not, looks like I'll be getting my hands on a PS4 before Xmas. PEACE.

maltrain

Right... well I'm playing A LOT of Resogun, FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, Trine 2, Flower (beautiful game that I never played it on PS3) and waiting for time for starting with Assassin's Creed IV.

Not counting yet Killzone, Contrast, Tiny Brains, Escape Plan and all the F2P stuff...

Nothing to play? Right...

johnny956

My closest Best Buy only has the "ship to store" option. I wonder if it'll be available there....

"ship to store" would mean they don't have any at the moment. Some stores do get shipments on fridays/saturdays so very possible they haven't gotten them yet.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
FML. Looks like I'll pass by the Aventura one around 10-1030 Sunday morning to see if there's a long line. If there's more than 10 people waiting, then I'll probably just go to work. If not, looks like I'll be getting my hands on a PS4 before Xmas. PEACE.

I'd say yeah, except I might bump that up to 20 people. It sounds like BBuy has been stock piling these for a week or more.

I've seen stock jump for the PS4 in the past few days in the South Bay (LA) area, but Xbox stock has stayed relatively low. Not sure what that means for current sell through or supply.

Evolved1

On the website the Best Buy I work 3 minutes from says Available Now for in-store pickup. Is that an Anomaly?

You can't add them to the cart... they are apparently holding them all for Sunday.

Raptor

They better have in stock in 3 weeks if not I will be pissed and probably throw some racks on the way out.

Top Bottom