• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Coming to a Best Buy near you

Boke1879

I wonder if Sony can reach 4 million sold by December 31st. That would be an impressive feat.

Personally I'm expecting a little over 3 million, but no matter what they will sell what they can stock. I'm expecting 6-6.5million by the end of March though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am currently in line with 5,670 of my friends and we will all be flipping them on eBay.

Ashhong

I had no luck. I got there early and the guy told me I missed the ticket giveaway by about 6 minutes. I have mine already, but this one is for my kid, and I'm getting sick of this ticketing bullshit. I buy all of my shit at this BB or Amazon, and I'm about to give up BB because of the smug douche of a manager that kept telling me that they had none in the store while they were hoarding them. Sour grapes, maybe, but what happened to going to a store and buying something that was advertised? I think I need to go save the last humans and blow off some steam.

Edit: if anyone is looking for an Xbox One, they had plenty. Smug douche said he only handed out one ticket. I almost bought one just to exchange for a PS4 when they are actually available.

God I hope you aren't playing the "I buy everything from you guys, treat me special!" card. Hate customers like you.

Iacobellis

My God, it truly is the PS2 all over again...

h1075E8F1

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I wonder if Sony can reach 4 million sold by December 31st. That would be an impressive feat.
I have to believe this is nearly impossible. All estimates have them topping out at 1.2m per month manufactured starting in Sept and about a 3 week lead time. Even with 100% sell through they would still be short by dec 31 using those numbers. Over 3M seems to be a lock and 3.5M seems doable.

I will say they will likely roll over 6M by Mar 1 and easily hit their forecasts by a pretty generous amount. 6-7m by the end of March seems to be realistic at this point.

Y2Kev

My question is on presales. Say Sony had more presales than Microsoft, which I think is pretty fair but the scale of which we're not 100% on. If Sony produces, say, an additional 100k units, those don't even make it to the market, right? They're considered "sales" at the POS, so they're recorded and would show up in tracking, but it looks like they're not restocking/resupplying the channel. I wonder to what extent that is happening.

Mrbob

I don't think production will allow this to happen unless Sony is air shipping everything.

Not sure when the shortage will end but I expect there to be strong demand post holiday season as well. Still waiting for Sony to revise their 5 million forecast. There are still more launches to come. They are going to blow by that unless they just can't make enough units.

Edit: Actually it's better than the PS2 because Sony is producing way more units. I don't know if PS4 will have the PS2 long tail but it should be solid. My projection is it will be the second best selling Playstation console behind the PS2.

Y2Kev

I don't think production will allow this to happen unless Sony is air shipping everything.

Not sure when the shortage will end but I expect there to be strong demand post holiday season as well. Still waiting for Sony to revise their 5 million forecast. They are going to blow by that unless they just can't make enough units.

They won't. Sony needs a win and beating a forecast would be something.

They don't even sell their stupid phones on the major carriers in the US. Sony lol

borghe

My question is on presales. Say Sony had more presales than Microsoft, which I think is pretty fair but the scale of which we're not 100% on. If Sony produces, say, an additional 100k units, those don't even make it to the market, right? They're considered "sales" at the POS, so they're recorded and would show up in tracking, but it looks like they're not restocking/resupplying the channel. I wonder to what extent that is happening.
Not really. GameStop doesn't count as a sale until you walk out the door with it. Same thing with an Amazon preorder. I get your question but I don't think that has any bearing on anything except consumer interest.

I could have taken my deposit at GameStop and applied it to anything at the store had I wanted. It didn't count as a PS4 sale until they finally transferred it to the purchase on launch night.

A guy in front of me got one of each and was just gonna flip em. There was this older fella there who was buying one for his son. Then he realised how big of a deal it was and had his wife wait with him to get another one for their son that moved out. Then since i was with my lady i got a ticket for them so they could get one for their neice. Some nice parents

Y2Kev

Not really. GameStop doesn't count as a sale until you walk out the door with it. Same thing with an Amazon preorder. I get your question but I don't think that has any bearing on anything except consumer interest.

I could have taken my deposit at GameStop and applied it to anything at the store had I wanted. It didn't count as a PS4 sale until they finally transferred it to the purchase on launch night.

I'm not looking to count presales in NPD figures, I'm saying to what extent do FILLED presales constitute existing sales numbers? That is, Sony has, say, 200k remaining presales to fill in the US. They fill those. It looks like there are no units available but NPD would show 200k units sold.

Then I was just wondering to what extent that could be making people think the channel is not being restocked if they have to do that globally.

I've been trying to reconcile "sony is slow/slower to get new units out" with "they have more units in the channel sold than any console this soon after launch in history."

PS3 also was. The demand for PS4 is clearly there.

PS3s going for $1000 on ebay isn't as impressive when you compare the $299 PS2 launch price to the $599 60 gig PS3 launch price. Of course PS4 supply is much higher than the PS3 or PS2 launch supply was. It's difficult to really compare (also keep inflation in mind).

borghe

I don't know if I'd go there just yet. PS2s were going for over $1000 on Ebay shortly after launch.
I think sheer number of units on top of ease of preordering are what's preventing $1000 auctions, not a lack of (relative) interest.

Iacobellis

I think sheer number of units on top of ease of preordering are what's preventing $1000 auctions, not a lack of (relative) interest.

I agree. We are no longer in the times where Sony can only produce half a million units. PS3 was also easier to flip due to the lack of interest in the console.

BestBuy on North Avenue in Chicago:

Stopped in around 11AM just to see if the dust had settled. Apparently it had:

Ba-kuRnCEAAtjnX.jpg:large

Had more PS4's in stock than Xbox One's according to a cashier.

"Almost 90% of the people who were first in line came for the PS4," according to them.

PS4 was gone almost immediately. There were a few Xbox One's sitting behind the counter when I walked in.

gcubed

I drove past my local best buy in CA at 8am... I kept driving. Way too many people already and way too cold. No ps4 today

dolemite

I'm not looking to count presales in NPD figures, I'm saying to what extent do FILLED presales constitute existing sales numbers? That is, Sony has, say, 200k remaining presales to fill in the US. They fill those. It looks like there are no units available but NPD would show 200k units sold.

Then I was just wondering to what extent that could be making people think the channel is not being restocked if they have to do that globally.

I've been trying to reconcile "sony is slow/slower to get new units out" with "they have more units in the channel sold than any console this soon after launch in history."

I thought that the credit cards get billed for pre-orders when the units are being physically shipped. Otherwise it's just a place holder on the account.

borghe

Ahhhhh. Well Pachter was guessing like 60% going to GameStop or something which would account for what you're saying. But on top of that we are getting reports if regular small stock shipments. I really think that's more likely the case. The Target I frequent says they usually get PS4s in 2-3 times a week. It's just always 4-7 systems at a time. So they're never on the shelves but they're still selling over 20 a week.

Y2Kev

Ahhhhh. Well Pachter was guessing like 60% going to GameStop or something which would account for what you're saying. But on top of that we are getting reports if regular small stock shipments. I really think that's more likely the case. The Target I frequent says they usually get PS4s in 2-3 times a week. It's just always 4-7 systems at a time. So they're never on the shelves but they're still selling over 20 a week.

Yeah, and I would expect that pattern at most of the big box retailers because they're not pre-order centers. But I would expect the majority to be funneled to specialty retail at this point. Does Amazon still have preorders remaining? Not sure.

kick51

Banned
PS3 also was. The demand for PS4 is clearly there.

PS3s going for $1000 on ebay isn't as impressive when you compare the $299 PS2 launch price to the $599 60 gig PS3 launch price. Of course PS4 supply is much higher than the PS3 or PS2 launch supply was. It's difficult to really compare (also keep inflation in mind).

I see people say this, but I seem to remember some selling for way more than $1000 right around launch day and within a couple days after, with some going for closer to $2000

of course, a couple weeks later you could actually get them at a discount.

Epcott

Ended up not getting a PS4 this weekend after all, money is kind of funny. I think I may have gone crazy standing out in the snow anyways.

Moostache

however, the order still shows as "processing" a week after it posted.

They gave me an estimated delivery date of 11/Dec13 to 20/Dec/13 so I figure I will get the thing before Christmas anyway. I was out to get breakfast this morning and drove by my local Best Buy for grins about 5 minutes after they opened and all PS4s were sold out and gone.

Did not bother to ask about the XBones because I don't care about them.

def sim

3 hour wait total, 2 of which was outside in the cold. Rough stuff! I'll be wrapping this up and shipping it to my brother after I take a nice long, warm shower.

Odrion

Banned
Over here Best Buy had 57 PS4s in stock, they were out of tickets only a couple of minutes before the store opened.

It seemed like only 57 people were in line too, hah!

Smash with this kind of demand Sony should just skip the Asia launch and divert all units to the US.

They should have done this with alot of the units sent to other countries honestly. It's better to get a huge early lead in the US instead of sending units to places that are already Sony strongholds. The demand is clearly much more for PS4, but they just don't have the units here.

PS4s sold out. Plenty of Xbones still. The clerks were being really pushy on selling Xbones to this old couple that didn't know what they were doing. I tried to talk to them, but the clerk kept telling them to hurry and come to the cash register to get their Xbone for their grandson who didn't ask for it.

I'm so glad I went with a Wii U this holiday. I tried to get a PS4. Hell, I work in walmart electronics, should be easy right? Good lord no. Luckily I caved and I'm balls deep in Wind Waker (for the first time and it's amazing) and having a blast with Mario 3D World. I wouldn't be near as satisfied with Killzone SF and the laundry list of next years games to wait for patiently. The tech is more tantalizing than the games, I'm glad I gave up until next year.

Cornbread78

Talked to the BB is Nashua, NH, they said the line started at 5am, they got 4:1 shipment in favor of PS4s and it was their first shipment of them since launch. Most importantly, she said they are doing it again next Sun!

Argyle

Aiea on oahu

e: line about 60 or more long now.

I live close to that store, thought about trying to help a friend pick one up for her husband's Xmas present, but I'm still in bed so I guess not, haha...good luck! Let us know if you got one and what the situation was when they open...

Top Bottom