• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

FlyFaster

After seeing behind the scenes footage of Avengers special effects there is no way PS4 can match those visuals in gameplay.

Movie visuals will always have the advantage that they are pre-rendered. They don't have to worry about complex physics or being manipulated in real time. They can pour all the resources of highly specialized farms of computers together for continuous shots.

PS4 looks good for sure but not that good.

noah111

Still Alive
4FW1I0J.jpg
I'll just come out and say it: this is one of the reasons I hate PC gaming. Just such a chore for my feeble mind to have to weigh all these things I barely understand.

One of a handful of reasons, but eh. I still PC game every now and then, and it's fun, but things like that serve as a headache sometimes.

After seeing behind the scenes footage of Avengers special effects there is no way PS4 can match those visuals in gameplay.

Movie visuals will always have the advantage that they are pre-rendered. They don't have to worry about complex physics or being manipulated in real time. They can pour all the resources of highly specialized farms of computers together for continuous shots.

PS4 looks good for sure but not that good.

Mostly the bolden part.
CGI has more complex physics to have no clipping because that would destroy reality quiet a bit..

Metal-Geo

Weapons look exactly the same on the ground and in Your hands, You can throw and pick up every weapon on the level.
I don't think that's true. The world models of weapons are way, way less detailed than the first person model, from what I remember.

kitanii

Banned
So You though that rest of game have same texture as weapons? That wont happen even in next-gen. Even CG movies doesnt have that quality textures on most assets.

--

That quoted, not [img'ed] shots are from my PC that cost around 700$ when BF 3 released, so 1.5 year ago.
Sigh. For fuck sake. No I'm pointing out that those screenshots only showing weapons are worth shit in terms of graphical quality as a whole. I.E. You can't post pictures of high-res weapons and only weapons from a game and claim that it surpasses everything in raw visuals.

Shining

Yeah, this looks promising and 8 GB of Dance Dance Revolution and all that. But more importantly, will the game discs have rounded edges? Bet you guys didn't think of that!

I think he just looks like your average douchebag.

They literally did design him to be a douche bag.

"Delsin Rowe is the star of Second Son, and you probably know someone like him: A 24 year-old who is absolutely convinced he’s destined for greatness; though so far that greatness has managed to elude him. He grew up just outside Seattle, Washington, where his great – if accidental – calling comes crashing into his life."

But still, I swear I've seen his face before.

"Delsin Rowe is the star of Second Son, and you probably know someone like him: A 24 year-old who is absolutely convinced he’s destined for greatness; though so far that greatness has managed to elude him. He grew up just outside Seattle, Washington, where his great – if accidental – calling comes crashing into his life."

Is that an official character description? The person who wrote this should never write for a game ever again. Terrible.

I'll just come out and say it: this is one of the reasons I hate PC gaming. Just such a chore for my feeble mind to have to weigh all these things I barely understand.

One of a handful of reasons, but eh. I still PC game every now and then, and it's fun, but things like that serve as a headache sometimes.

you don't need to do any of this, you can just pick one of the preconfigured settings in the options menu.

That screenshot is of a config tool that changes settings in the game's config files, it is optional and it isn't even included with the game.

Do you hate your car because someone can mess with the timings of the engine and tune it with new parts?

Unless you have severe OCD I don't see why more options can be considered a downside by anyone ever.
You can always just pick 'medium' in the options menu (or not change anything from default) and it'll still shit on the console version graphically.

I'm playing through deus ex : HR again right now and I was able to turn off the yellow pissfilter and increase my inventory size by replacing 2 files.
Which was optional....
I didn't have to do that but on ps360 you'd be stuck in pissfilter mode with no way to increase inventory cap if it bothered you.

Look at it like this, if you happen to have an itch the consoles don't allow you to scratch it, that makes the closed box consoles inferior.

I don't hate PC gaming at all, but configuring .ini files and cvar files is not something I'm interested in whatsoever.
And you don't have to... and many people never do...
All pc ports run better than all console ports out of the box, it's win win.

It won't be any different next gen.

TrutaS

This serves to demonstrate than future conferences should show gifs instead of trailers. Very happy that Opera survives this thread, my ipad crashed though.

I don't hate PC gaming at all, but configuring .ini files and cvar files is not something I'm interested in whatsoever.

noah111

Still Alive
you don't need to do any of this, you can just pick one of the preconfigured settings in the options menu.

That screenshot is of a config tool that changes settings in the game's config files, it is optional and it isn't even included with the game.

Do you hate your car because someone can mess with the timings of the engine and tune it with new parts?

Unless you have severe OCD I don't see why more options can be considered a downside by anyone ever.
You can always just pick 'medium' in the options menu (or not change anything from default) and it'll still shit on the console version graphically.

I'm playing through deus ex : HR again right now and I was able to turn off the yellow pissfilter and increase my inventory size by replacing 2 files.
Which was optional....
I didn't have to do that but on ps360 you'd be stuck in pissfilter mode with no way to increase inventory cap if it bothered you.

Look at it like this, if you happen to have an itch the consoles don't allow you to scratch it, that makes the closed box consoles inferior.
I don't need to, but it is there for a reason and it always makes me feel like I might not be getting the most out of my game because there may be some certain configuration that will make it look better and perform decently at the same time. I want to get the most out of it, for 'just set it on medium' doesn't isn't really good advice.

More options is a downside when it confuses the user and makes them feel like they're possibly missing out on something. I don't feel that with my car, I didn't buy it to win a race so I don't need to get the most out of its speed. I buy a PC game wanting the most out of its performance, though.

That said, I get your point. However assume someone must have sever OCD by being remotely annoyed with such options and configurations, is quite asinine.

EMT0

Banned
I don't need to, but it is there for a reason and it always makes me feel like I might not be getting the most out of my game because there may be some certain configuration that will make it look better and perform decently at the same time. I want to get the most out of it, for 'just set it on medium' doesn't isn't really good advice.

More options is a downside when it confuses the user and makes them feel like they're possibly missing out on something. I don't feel that with my car, I didn't buy it to win a race so I don't need to get the most out of its speed. I buy a PC game wanting the most out of its performance, though.

That said, I get your point. However assume someone must have sever OCD by being remotely annoyed with such options and configurations, is quite asinine.

You're outright saying you 'hate' PC gaming based on a 3rd party file editor made specifically for image whores. I think it's safe to say that you're overreacting and talking about something you don't know much about.

KKRT00

Sigh. For fuck sake. No I'm pointing out that those screenshots only showing weapons are worth shit in terms of graphical quality as a whole. I.E. You can't post pictures of high-res weapons and only weapons from a game and claim that it surpasses everything in raw visuals.

But You can post gifs in 320x240 and call it CG? :>

--

So You prefer someone to decide what best for You? Like in console space when You get awful post-process AA that blurs more than hide jaggies or You get dips to 20fps? You prefer to be screwed than have a choice? I just dont get it.

majian

Neo Member
I just want to know if we are finally going to get Toy Story 2 graphics realtime......

On a serious note I thought all the demos looked good but it not wow me like the jump from PS1 -> PS2 or PS2 -> PS3 this being a testament to how awesome the PS3 was rather is. I felt a lot of the details could be performed on the PS3 if it had more memory just not at that resolution. I haven't seen anything that has warrant a purchase for, but hopefully getting my hands on one during E3 will change my mind. I unfortunately did not get a chance to see the conference due to work, but I wonder what improvement and innovations are being made to the Home infrastructure.

noah111

Still Alive
You're outright saying you 'hate' PC gaming based on a 3rd party file editor made specifically for image whores. I think it's safe to say that you're overreacting and talking about something you don't know much about.
I said it's one of the reasons I hate PC gaming. Just my personal opinion of what i've experienced going into these menus to try and get the most out of the game and just being sort of overwhelmed. Call me stupid, but hey, it's just my opinion as one of the downsides of PC gaming for me personally.

So You prefer someone to decide what best for You? Like in console space when You get awful post-process AA that blurs more than hide jaggies or You get dips to 20fps? You prefer to be screwed than have a choice? I just dont get it.
Yes I prefer something be optimized for maximum performance rather than have to make a decision/play around with how to get the most of things and play a balancing act mini-game. Again, just my personal opinion.

Let's not act like if console games gave you a choice we'd all be better off some how. They're developed with the systems capabilities in mind, so it's not like PC gaming at all in regards of choice benefitting the user. Obviously.

Same here. Every time I think about jumping over to PC gaming I think about all the trouble I have with basic PC problems and realize it's just not worth it to deal with .INI files, driver capabilities, etc etc.

EMT0

Banned
I said it's one of the reasons I hate PC gaming. Just my personal opinion of what i've experienced going into these menus to try and get the most out of the game and just being sort of overwhelmed. Call me stupid, but hey, it's just my opinion as one of the downsides of PC gaming for me personally.

But you don't have to. I don't have to. The vast majority of people neither have to, do so, or want to do so. So I don't see what the problem is other than finding an excuse to label the PC as overly complicated.

Yes I prefer something be optimized for maximum performance rather than have to make a decision/play around with how to get the most of things and play a balancing act mini-game. Again, just my personal opinion.

Let's not act like if console games gave you a choice we'd all be better off some how. They're developed with the systems capabilities in mind, so it's not like PC gaming at all in regards of choice benefitting the user. Obviously.

You don't need choices in console games, you said it yourself why. In PC games nowadays, it's literally a matter of ticking up your settings as high as you can take them while keeping a frame rate that sits within your tastes. It's a two minutes, then never again thing. They even give you a 'change all settings' switch with options like Medium, High, and Very High to make it even easier. There is no secret sweet spot unless you're trying to add in a third-party modification, like SweetFX or removing an ingame filter.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I agree. However, I played through Crysis 2 recently on PC, and just stuck it on 'extreme' and enjoyed it. It gets lots of criticism for not having 500 variables you can adjust, but I was happy to only need to choose from 4

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Like in console space when You get awful post-process AA that blurs more than hide jaggies
You really can't say this for the MLAA that was used on PS3 games (and probably here on PS4 KZ, unless they've improved it somehow). The technique is very selective and only ever affects edges, leaving textured surfaces practically completely alone, unlike FXAA.

Out of curiosity, why are you posting these here? Also, what settings are the screenshots on? Could a 400-600 dollar PC do these settings?

I'm not interrogating or anything. I'm curious, though, as somebody who does not very closely follow gaming PC components or prices.
Those screens are the equivalent of high res press release screen,s in terms that you can't get to run the game in a playable framerate with 4K resolution and (I'm assuming, as I didn't look close) supersampled AA, and highest settings, no matter what hardware. It's more like a photo mode of sorts.
*edit* I've checked now, and the screens are mostly 1920x1080p with SSAA, so I guess that actually could be playable in 20-30FPS in 'ultra' settings with some high-end hardware?

pottuvoi

Banned
You really can't say this for the MLAA that was used on PS3 games (and probably here on PS4 KZ, unless they've improved it somehow). The technique is very selective and only ever affects edges, leaving textured surfaces practically completely alone, unlike FXAA.
They have released paper on subject.
http://iryoku.com/aacourse/downloads/06-MLAA-on-PS3.pdf

Some serious thought has gone on the edge detection phase, it certainly isn't just apply to image.

Kevin

I don't think we'll see "Avatar level" CG from the PlayStation 4 but I do think they will get damn close in a lot of respects. I just don't expect this to happen for at least a few years.

StevieP

Banned
Same here. Every time I think about jumping over to PC gaming I think about all the trouble I have with basic PC problems and realize it's just not worth it to deal with .INI files, driver capabilities, etc etc.

You don't have to do ANY of that. It's not 1997.

I don't think we'll see "Avatar level" CG from the PlayStation 4 but I do think they will get damn close in a lot of respects. I just don't expect this to happen for at least a few years.

I'll repeat it: some scenes of Avatar took 40,000 high end Xeon clustered processors nearly 300 hours PER FRAME to render (with 24 frames per second of film). Nobody is even remotely approaching any of that on the equivalent of a mid-range GPU paired up with 8 netbook CPUs.

I think he just looks like your average douchebag.

Is it bannable to say that, i think we should voice our dislike of the new character so that SP changes him like they did it with "new cole" in Infamous 2?.

P.S: I'm new here, but i fear the migthy ban hammer after lurking here for years... i don't want it to be a short ride, if someone has a simple do's and dont's list i would be truly grateful.

Him being "your average douchebag" is actually great character design.

He's far more distinctive than Cole, and looks to have a LOT more personality.

He's a HUGE step up for the franchise from what I've seen.

I'll repeat it: some scenes of Avatar took 40,000 high end Xeon clustered processors nearly 300 hours PER FRAME to render....
No it absolutely did not. At that speed it would take 50 years to render one minute of film! What I think you're recalling is a quote I saw somewhere around here that it took "100 computer hours per frame" on the server farm. So already 100 instead of 300, and I'm absolutely certain the quote is misinterpreted. I'm sure it really means "100 computer-hours per frame"--i.e. about 6 minutes.

Your point about the impossibility on a single device stands, though. Even "only" 6 minutes per frame is ~10,000 times slower than real-time 30fps. And that's using 10,000 server blades (at 4 Xeons each). So you'd need a million times more processing power total.

If computer power doubles every 18 months*, it will be about 15 years before we can render Avatar in realtime at home.

* I know, I know.

pottuvoi

Banned
I'll repeat it: some scenes of Avatar took 40,000 high end Xeon clustered processors nearly 300 hours PER FRAME to render (with 24 frames per second of film). Nobody is even remotely approaching any of that on the equivalent of a mid-range GPU paired up with 8 netbook CPUs.
They also used PantaRay a inhouse GPU raytracer to pre-compute lot's of occlusion/image based lighting data.
The shot from a helicopter looking over a huge flock of hundreds of purple creatures flying over water, with a massive tree-covered mountain in the background was pre-computed in just a day and a half using PantaRay. “That shot would have taken a week with previous methods,” said Weta’s Fascione.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/wetadigital_avatar.html

Doubt we will see that quality if their GPU accelerated pre processing step took over a day for a shot..

Brofist

Thing is you don't need to use tools like that unless you obsess over performance. That's the great thing about PC gaming, you can put in as much effort as you feel like. Auto detect settings and Steam is no more difficult than loading a console game.

I agree. I used to be a hardcore PC gamer. And I still occasionally play them. But it is really a chore compared to console gaming. And I am starting to get tired of it.

You didn't just type the words optimised for maximum performance...

Well you enjoy your 24 fps 718p texture popping maximum performance and let all the poor idiots who settle for sub optimal performance on their pcs settle for their 60 fps 1080p no texture pop in default settings. You are right, there there.

No it absolutely did not. At that speed it would take 50 years to render one minute of film! What I think you're recalling is a quote I saw somewhere around here that it took "100 computer hours per frame" on the server farm. So already 100 instead of 300, and I'm absolutely certain the quote is misinterpreted. I'm sure it really means "100 computer-hours per frame"--i.e. about 6 minutes.

Your point about the impossibility on a single device stands, though. Even "only" 6 minutes per frame is ~10,000 times slower than real-time 30fps. And that's using 10,000 server blades (at 4 Xeons each). So you'd need a million times more processing power total.

If computer power doubles every 18 months*, it will be about 15 years before we can render Avatar in realtime at home.

* I know, I know.
And in those 15 years CG will have leaped another few billion levels.

It's just an argument that has no bearing on reality. And I'd really appreciate it if people just stopped this march to CG. You can get convincing approximations now... if you discount lighting, IQ, precomputed physics vs realtime, and a whole range of other issues CG makers don't have to worry about in comparison to realtime 3d designers.

Bert

And in those 15 years CG will have leaped another few billion levels.

It's just an argument that has no bearing on reality. And I'd really appreciate it if people just stopped this march to CG. You can get convincing approximations now... if you discount lighting, IQ, precomputed physics vs realtime, and a whole range of other issues CG makers don't have to worry about in comparison to realtime 3d designers.

I think a valid benchmark would be the first large scale CG in films rather than the latest and greatest. I mean Jurassic Park level. This represents when film makers felt it was good enough to mix with live action. No one would put PS1 level models into a film, but some late PS3/4 stuff seems like its approaching that point.

I think a valid benchmark would be the first large scale CG in films rather than the latest and greatest. I mean Jurassic Park level. This represents when film makers felt it was good enough to mix with live action. No one would put PS1 level models into a film, but some late PS3/4 stuff seems like its approaching that point.
Which is why I said you can get convincing approximations now.

It's still not exactly on par with what was achieved 10-15 years ago... but it looks close enough that we should stop worrying about it and enjoy what we've got. Tech that on the surface comes nowhere close to the pure theoretical capability of the tech used for those films, but realistically comes close enough (in a realtime rendered sense) to not be an issue.

Or at least not a huge one.

Top Bottom