• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

Kouichi

secondson-16-7fps-290hhp6v.gif

Yes this is in-engine.

Fivefold

Banned
I have to admit that between GAF going down and the stuttering nature of the GT streaming I couldn't see much of the graphic fidelity of the trailers.

But seeing it in GIF like that does look really good, especially the Killzone one. It doesn't mean that I'll buy Killzone (can't stand FPS of any kind) but I'm imagining how next-gen Mass Effect will look like on PS4.

How would a gif present better fidelity? It's only 256 colors and downsampled as fuck.

Any game with passable art direction and assets will have amazing looking gifs, we really need 60 FPS 1080p videos to have a better idea.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
God bless Sony Computer Entertainment *tear*.

sp3000

Watch 1080p footage and you can see tons of aliasing. It is not CGI, lots of other things give it away also

bhlaab

Watch Dogs is the only one of those I trust. A little bit less chunky with better lighting. It looks kind of like Sleeping Dogs maxed out on the PC.

Anyone that thinks deep down is actual gameplay needs a reality check.

I'm loving that people still make these kinds of statements, especially after months of "anyone who thinks next-gen consoles are getting more than X amount of RAM (usually 3 or 4 GB) needs a reality check" leading up to today.

Darryl

Banned
I don't think anyone here thinks it's actual gameplay. It's just an engine demo running real time graphics.

yes but this doesn't mean a game like this will actually be able to run in real time on the console. it's just hype and marketing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
By Capcom? I still wouldn't believe it today.

Capcom did an incredible job with MT Framework, still one of the best engines around. Deep Down was a guy and a dragon in a small cave. I think the demo was real time but at the same time, sacrifices will be made when it's time to build an actual game around it.

JordanN

Banned
Considering true high-end movie level CG, the stuff many people can't distinguish from reality, cannot be done in real-time on super high-end workstations exceeding even high-end gaming PCs...sorry! :p

Good to see GAF hyperbole is running full steam though.

So true. Some people really forget what CGI is about.
VNoFdkG.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Capcom did an incredible job with MT Framework, still one of the best engines around. Deep Down was a guy and a dragon in a small cave. I think the demo was real time but at the same time, sacrifices will be made when it's time to build an actual game around it.

We'll find out I guess.

def sim

It's an engine demo not gameplay. So as far as that's concerned, yes it's real. Ono said it was a realtime demo of the new engine. MT Framework looked way better than pretty much everything when we first saw that too.

Watch Dogs was played on a "PS4 spec'd PC" for stability issues. It's no big deal, the game is still early in development.

It really is just that dragon that has me doubting it. Apparently I should watch that 1080p (direct feed?) video people are talking about.

As for Watch Dogs, I just don't find it that great of an example for "next gen" especially when it's running on hardware my PC probably trumps. Though, I wonder what a "PS4 spec'd PC" actually consists of.

Still not as good as X. ;)

Lol

Seriously though, the next generation is finally on its way for real. I knew it would come close to high end PC visuals, but I never expected it to surpass it in some ways. The AA is really impressive - more than I usually have enabled.

teiresias

DD is clearly realtime (at least parts of it definitely are), but that raises the question of what hardware it was running on.

That and the obvious camera and bare HUD make it seem more like a development mockup than a real game at this point in time.

Well yeah. They billed DD far more of an engine demo than a game demo and just mentioned that the assets are for a new IP. The HUD in it is stupid though.

Fivefold

Banned
I'm loving that people still make these kinds of statements, especially after months of "anyone who thinks next-gen consoles are getting more than X amount of RAM (usually 3 or 4 GB) needs a reality check" leading up to today.

Dude it's not the graphics, it's the animation that gives it away, in 1080p it's not even that impressive, everything looks good when reduced to a fucking tiny gif.

It's clearly an in-engine rendered demo.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Do you guys think PS4 Watch Dogs will be able to reach that level of graphics fidelity with the specs announced?

Well yeah. They billed DD far more of an engine demo than a game demo and just mentioned that the assets are for a new IP. The HUD in it is stupid though.

I guess to make it clear it's an engine demo and not CG.

And yet we STILL have people here trying to claim otherwise :lol

Resilient

But is it really unreasonable ?? We've been bait and switched so many times the last decade. It shocks me that people still take these renders as an idea of what we'll get as gameplay. I mean, come on, surely Killzone 2 and Madden should make you think twice about getting excited for this stuff.

Fjordson

People really thought all this was unimpressive?

I get it. Gaming PC's will eclipse it in the future. It's not as amazing as the first time you saw HD games. Fine, fine. But unimpressive? This looks a hell of a lot better than any of the current consoles.

Sciz

As ever, let's see how this stuff looks at the end of the year running on real hardware at home. It's nice that these aren't target renders this time around (allegedly, see also Killzone 2), but there's still a lot that happens in the transition from heavily scripted demo to playable game.

And "movie level cgi" is just plain silly.

Schrade

Stop saying the Capcom video was bullshit. Just watch it in 1080p via the link I posted and then use your eyes.

Unless you're not knowledgeable enough to recognize things... then maybe you shouldn't spew shit :p

But is it really unreasonable ?? We've been bait and switched so many times the last decade. It shocks me that people still take these renders as an idea of what we'll get as gameplay. I mean, come on, surely Killzone 2 and Madden should make you think twice about getting excited for this stuff.

It's not unreasonable, but it's merely a possibility. The point is, we saw crazy things that people were so "sure" weren't going to happen today, it's baffling that people are still so "sure" of other random things.

What gets me is the fact that people are so odiously smug with their completely baseless assertions. There's a difference between "these look good, but there's a chance these are CG'd. Look at x:xx on this link to the stream to see where it looks just a bit too perfect" and "LOLOL U THINK THAT'S REAL-TIME? OH THAT'S RICH".

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lol at the people downplaying Killzone, the explosions, the colors, the animation, the gun models, the scale of it all... ridiculous.

If Capcom can deliver visuals like that in-game, and in a reasonably-timely manner in the course of this gen, I take back all the negative internal dialog I've had in my head about the current state of Japanese game development.

The bombshell to me in that whole thing was the voice acting and dialog actually wasn't completely cringe-worthy. WTF? Is this really Capcom? LOL.

meta4

8GB of GDDR5 RAM being put to good use here!

I doubt it was even developed with 8GB in mind since the Ram was upped only recently right? Acc to Edge at least. Also this is a launch title and in an unfinished state. Imagine 2-3 years down the line!! ND and SSM show us the glory of PS4.

darkwing

Stop saying the Capcom video was bullshit. Just watch it in 1080p via the link I posted and then use your eyes.

Unless you're not knowledgeable enough to recognize things... then maybe you shouldn't spew shit :p

people are still getting over the 8GB DDR5

Top Bottom