• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is what can Nintendo do about it?

(A) Stick it out and try and eek out some sort of "success" from the Wii U?

(B) Immediately start R&D on a new more "Nextgen" console, drop the Wii U early and try again?

(C) Just say "Fuck it" to the home console market and focus their ganes business around handhelds?

(D) Go third party?

Well a bit of A and B. They should start focusing on how they will improve their next console, but they have to get something out of the Wii U. They are done this gen in terms of effectively competing though.

Atram

(B) Immediately start R&D on a new more "Nextgen" console, drop the Wii U early and try again?

(C) Just say "Fuck it" to the home console market and focus their ganes business around handhelds?

(D) Go third party?

They will do something between A and B, C and D are pure nonsense.

I'm pretty sure you missed the actual point of my post, as clearly i was not insinuating Wii U is a runaway success. Nintendo sells better in those and many other European countries, relative to the marketplace. UK is not Europe, nor is it the biggest European country. Yet UK topics quickly turn into "lol Nintendo/doom" threads, while even NES and SNES weren't the best selling systems over there iirc. Over 700 million people live in Europe, of which less than 9% in the UK.

Now had Nintendo had less than 9% of marketshare, i'm sure that would be ridiculed instantly.
Over a billion people live in China and India a piece and we rarely have threads about their gaming markets. And?

The UK is the largest gaming market in Europe, despite it's relative population, and as a single country market is the third largest globally after the US and Japan last I recall for console systems. We get weekly UK top 40 charts from which we can often extract some sort of sales information. This week we have specific information about the launch of the PS4 in the UK and about the LTD sales of the other contemporary systems. So there's a thread on it.

And again, at least with regard to their home systems, Nintendo isn't performing dramatically better on continental Europe right now than in the UK anyway - so I'm not sure why you're repeating this assertion. It's performing around the same, or better, in the UK than in countries in continental Europe.

SmokyDave

I'm pretty sure you missed the actual point of my post, as clearly i was not insinuating Wii U is a runaway success. Nintendo sells better in those and many other European countries, relative to the marketplace. UK is not Europe, nor is it the biggest European country. Yet UK topics quickly turn into "lol Nintendo/doom" threads, while even NES and SNES weren't the best selling systems over there iirc. Over 700 million people live in Europe, of which less than 9% in the UK.

Now had Nintendo had less than 9% of marketshare, i'm sure that would be ridiculed instantly.
It doesn't matter how many people live here, it matters how much we spend on games.

danmaku

I don't see how what Bayonetta does qualifies as humor.

This is a discussion. Opinions are what we share.

Your main point was that Nintendo audience will find the game offensive. Saying that B1 had bad writing is totally irrelevant for your point, unless you want to argue that Nintendo fans always expect top notch writing in their games and thus will hate B2.

B2 is going to bomb because the audience for character action games is quite small on any platform, and the WiiU exclusivity just makes the problem worse.

benjipwns

Banned

(D) Go third party?
They need to play hardball with both retailers and third parties. Tie the Wii U, 3DS and all other Nintendo-related products to shelf space exclusivity. Retailers and third parties shouldn't be able to use other platforms to undermine Nintendo in the marketplace. These are direct competitors and Nintendo isn't a charity no matter how much they come across as a benevolent entity towards real hardcore gamers. If that doesn't work then maybe they need to start looking into lobbying to try and level the playing field against the endless unchecked money of Microsoft and Sony.

Yaumuchi would have done this at the first sniff of any problems. (Though he probably would have prevented any disrespectful competitors from getting a foothold in the first place.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

(D) Go third party?
B is already happening. R&D don't just sit around twiddling their thumbs for years until they suddenly decide to launch a new system.

Kosma

Banned
You can't just do that with Nintendo games, they're too intrinsically linked with the unique platforms they're on. You'd literally be ripping the soul out of the subtly crafted gameplay to even attempt something like that.

Interesting point, what is it exactly that gives these games that soul that non-Nintendo games lack?

Edit: Why would Mario on the PS4 be different then Mario on a Nintendo console?

They need to play hardball with both retailers and third parties. Tie the Wii U, 3DS and all other Nintendo-related products to shelf space exclusivity. Retailers and third parties shouldn't be able to use other platforms to undermine Nintendo in the marketplace. These are direct competitors and Nintendo isn't a charity no matter how much they come across as a benevolent entity towards real hardcore gamers. If that doesn't work then maybe they need to start looking into lobbying to try and level the playing field against the endless unchecked money of Microsoft and Sony.

Yaumuchi would have done this at the first sniff of any problems. (Though he probably would have prevented any disrespectful competitors from getting a foothold in the first place.)

Lol What? Is this a troll post? I really can't tell

keuja

(D) Go third party?

I feel they need to go for a more mature market. Keep Mario and co of course but also develop other franchises more attractive to teenagers and young adults. They can count on themselves only, no third parties will save them.
Also release Metroid already, I would buy a WiiU just for that game.

FireCloud

You can't just do that with Nintendo games, they're too intrinsically linked with the unique platforms they're on. You'd literally be ripping the soul out of the subtly crafted gameplay to even attempt something like that.

To be clear, I don't think Nintendo is going anywhere as a hardware console provider but...

Are you telling me that the PS4 wouldn't be able to run any of the Nintendo exclusives just as well as the WiiU? I find that hard to believe.

SmokyDave

You're deadly serious, aren't you?

Woah. 'Play hardball with retailers' cracked me up. They're likelier to need to incentivise them to keep carrying their flagging product.

ozfunghi

Actually it doesn't. In terms of market penetration, they do best in France, second in the UK. Germany has a population of 90m vs 63m in the UK and 65m in France, so it should be doing better there.

You are also moving the goal posts, we are not talking about Nintendo's market share, it's Wii U specifically which is tanking everywhere.

Yeah, I think they are already doing that, I just thought that PS4 stock was arriving on Friday so they could stand down and just wait outside Game at 7am or something.

I'm not moving goalposts. I'm not even talking about sales. I'm talking about why a country with 60 million people is being used, time and again, as representative of a much larger region, if not Nintendo's success worldwide. Why do all these UK threads get so much attention when it comes to Nintendo? Again, even NES and SNES weren't the charts leaders. Yes, they don't do good in the UK, they never did. If that actually meant something, they would have gone belly up 20 years ago.

Also please show me the info that the sales % in the UK is better than in Germany.

And again, at least with regard to their home systems, Nintendo isn't performing dramatically better on continental Europe right now than in the UK anyway - so I'm not sure why you're repeating this assertion. It's performing around the same, or better, in the UK than in countries in continental Europe.

Because, like i clearly stated in my initial post to which you replied, i was talking not specifically about this topic/news item, but UK/Nintendo news in general.

It doesn't matter how many people live here, it matters how much we spend on games.

Unless you are going to argue that 60 million people buy more games than 700 million people... obviously, it matters.

Wilbur

Banned
Why are people surprised that Knack outsold mario? No one has a Wii U. Therefore there would be no point in buying Mario.

Tagg9

I feel they need to go for a more mature market. Keep Mario and co of course but also develop other franchises more attractive to teenagers and young adults. They can count on themselves only, no third parties will save them.
Also release Metroid already, I would buy a WiiU just for that game.

I agree they need to go after a more mature market, but that's simply not something I can ever see them doing.

i work for a company that rearranges shelving and crap for stores. i set up the stupid xboxone displays at wal mart. it seems like microsoft made a deal with most major retailers to be the first thing you see when you get to the videogame/electronics area. nintendo didnt pay anything extra as their new set up had no real flow/symmetry. they are all mostly invaded and cluttered inbetween skylanders stuff

No, it just means we have more variety now, that the market has broadened, that there all kinds of games for all kinds of people to enjoy. You are like someone who enjoys zombie movies getting mad because someone made a vampire movie for those who enjoy them. You are exactly like someone who wished Nintendo didn't exist because they don't like their games, even though millions of people DO like their games. You should be taking a good look at your own opinions right now and why you are making them. If graphics were all that mattered to all these people you are so happily demeaning, things like Minecraft, WoW or Wii Sports (among many others) wouldn't have been massive hits.

About this whole visuals vs fun thing... just because someone enjoys a great soundtrack or appreciates good camera work, doesn't mean they didn't enjoy other aspects of that particular movie or that they don't or can't enjoy other aspects like the story, characters or dialogue. When it comes to games, it's the same: every aspect adds to the whole experience and people play games they are excited about, regardless of the reason.

You are literally saying that only those who enjoy what you enjoy can be considered real gamers and everyone else is a cancer to this industry, and that's just wrong on so many levels. It also makes me think about all the games and experiences you may have enjoyed but you didn't because you considered them to be part of this "cancer" you talk about. Gaming is supposed to be all about harmless fun.
Hardcore gamer is someone interested in gamming the most, of course, that ditches out of the group those who play for other reasons. It's not that I'm trying to seem a better person than them or anything, it's just that they're not hardcore gammers.

You talk about Minnercraft, WoW or Wii Sports. The first one is a "create your content" that has always sold at really low prices.
WoW it's a game that's losing players every year, which means that the young audiences don't care about those games anymore.
Wii Sports was all about the movement, and it attracted a casual crowd that now is gone.

If you look at what those games are, you will understand well why I'm saying what I say.

Regarding the variety thing... no, just no. This past generation has been shooters in first and third person, and sports games. Other than that, the JRPG genre has been nearly dying and will die this next gen, the SH was also killed and the few quatily beat em up's that were released (bayonetta) were such a failure that had to be funded by Nintendo in order for them to survive. Seeing how this is shaping, they won't make it past this gen either.

Because, like i clearly stated in my initial post to which you replied, i was talking not specifically about this topic/news item, but UK/Nintendo news in general.
And again, for the third or fourth time: UK news gets attention because it's the third biggest console market in the world and the largest in Europe. It's English speaking. Many game sites are based there. We get weekly data. I'm not sure how this is particularly confusing.

This just happens to be UK-PS4 and UK-Wii U news.
Unless you are going to argue that 60 million people buy more games than 700 million people... obviously, it matters.
In revenue terms those 60M people account for something like 20-25% of what the collective 700M spend, iirc. Population is irrelevant in this discussion. Population doesn't translate directly into the size of the games market in these countries.

(D) Go third party?

D is nonsense.

A + B is probable. I think they already started thinking about their next console.

C is possible but not very likely. Maybe if they fail 2 console cicles in a row like the WiiU. Right now, I don't see it happening.

Footos22

wasnt expecting my ps4 till after christmas now.

Just been despatched.

wii u delivery and ps4 on the exact same van

thanks shopto

curb

Banned
Why are people surprised that Knack outsold mario? No one has a Wii U. Therefore there would be no point in buying Mario.

I think a lot of people expected a new Mario game to move hardware and thus sell lots of copies of the game.

I suspect Knack won't have much of a tail but Mario will continue to sell if the hardware sales do pick up.

Ninjimbo

Nintendo has my permission to trash the Wii U after they give me the Wii U Zelda and not a second before. They just need to give me that game.

I also find it funny that people are saying Nintendo can turn this around with more games. What games does the PS4 have? That console has absolutely jack right now and it's going to offer about as much entertainment as a bucket of paint over the next year. With nothing, it spanked the Wii U in about a day. Not even a blessing from Jesus can save the Wii U.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Has it expanded, though?

Or has Sony gobbled up the majority of the console gamer install base? Nintendo's install base has shrunken, and those guys didn't just disappear.

Tallying the launch figures together and comparing it to 360 and PS3, yes it has grown.
In the UK, launch weekend sales.

Last-Gen: PS3 (165,000) + Wii (105,000) + 360 (70,000) = 340,000
Current-Gen: PS4 (250,000) + Wii U approx. (40,000) + XBONE (150,000) = 440,000

Well I'll be ...

I'll be honest, I didn't even count them, I just assumed it would be lol.

Ashes

Banned
I guess not given by responses here. Why are people paying so much for something available in stores

Scalpers are doing what they do. Setting high prices. We had the same with wiiu which was more readily available on store shelves.

Still, it is may also be dependent on what online stock (i.e. those designated for home delivery) looks like as opposed to that which has already been delivered to stores.

Geography may play a part. I live in London so I have access to a lot more stores than somebody in the countryside for example.

Some retailers offer in store checks too. Try Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1226027.htm

I just did. And in my vicinity there are 4 stores that have no stock and 2 that do (I live central east). If you type in Beckton, which is a little bit more east, then all six stores there have stock.

Note. This doesn't necessarily mean XB1 isn't selling. It could well be that they concentrated more stock for the UK launch. Which is a good thing.

nib95

Banned
250k?? So a quarter of what was sold in the US? Damn. That 1 million number is going to be obliterated in Europe.

benjipwns

Banned
Are you telling me that the PS4 wouldn't be able to run any of the Nintendo exclusives just as well as the WiiU? I find that hard to believe.
If Nintendo exclusives are so easy to replicate on any random hardware how come nobody's done it? Where's the innovative hardware-centric titles on other platforms that have sold like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, NSMB, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Mario 3D Land, etc.?

I think there's a lesson in there.

Ah, dude. You gave it a go. Thanks for the chuckles and I hope you take some time out and come back stronger than ever.
There is always NPD day.

Maybe I just need a rebrand, possibly ditching some of the weight that's holding me down. Or maybe just more posts directed towards a larger number of users. If only I had some guidance here.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think gamers have spoken. In Japan. In Uk. People are starting to get weary of Mario. Why not resurrect Wave Race? Or Metroid? Something.

Boss Man

If Nintendo exclusives are so easy to replicate on any random hardware how come nobody's done it? Where's the innovative hardware-centric titles on other platforms that have sold like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, NSMB, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Mario 3D Land, etc.?

I think there's a lesson in there.
That people are delusional.

SykoTech

Mario got beat by Knack.

That sounds pretty wack.

But they might be counting the bundle pack.

So I guess I'll take it back.

(D) Go third party?
(E) Release a $100-120 streaming device similar to the Roku that also offers Virtual Console games as well as new titles. Pricing would be similar to mobile games, plus a variety of free Angry Birds-esque titles. The device would be completely compatible with the 3DS, allowing you to put your VC titles onto your handheld, play handheld titles on the television, and share games with friends (to some degree).

I don't think Nintendo is capable of making a next gen console like the PS4 or XB1. Their interest don't seem to be in the general concept of big budget HD gaming, and they continue to struggle to support the WiiU with software. A simple streaming device would free up their teams to release more titles, gain a position in family rooms across the globe, and avoid high production costs that they hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom