• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
2374320-6275214182-iolgexu.gif

imB7Cx5WoarkG.gif

Titanfall has been publicly announced for XBONE, 360, and pc only. There will not be a PS4 version. But according to Vince Zampalla Titanfall 2 will be on PS4.

Hence the loophole of having a different version aka "Sigma" or what-have-you and release the same game for PS4 with a few added bells and whistles.

A lot of time GOTY editions or Greatest Hits editions aren't subject to the same release exclusivity.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hence the loophole of having a different version aka "Sigma" or what-have-you and release the same game for PS4 with a few added bells and whistles. .

Nope. No Sigma or special edition. It's not going to happen on PS4. Get over it. If you want Titanfall you're either going to have to use a PC or buy a MS console.

Releasing a Mario game during two big consoles wasn't one of Nintendo's better decision.

Can you point out a single instance of a good decision relative to WiiU?

AzaK

Get the core on board and they'll disseminate the message to the rest.
Yup. The funny thing is Iwata has said this himself. Then he proceeded to release a completely core unfriendly console.

Yes, exactly. I hate 3D mario games. This is a 3D mario for people who liked the 2D games.

This sort of statement is what worries me about SM3DW. I prefer exploratory, adventure like Marios. Loved 64 and Sunshine, but galaxy didn't do it as much for me.

Papacheeks

Banned
I get the feeling Titanfall 2 will come out in record time after the first one.

Yup! I predicted that we will see Titanfall 2 faster than we think. And I have a feeling there won't be DLC issues, like Microsoft seems to keep doing with COD and Battlefield. First Titanfall is going to be fairly barebones in terms of maps and content. There going to have a Premium service like battlefield or DLC content drops.

Depending on Respawn's position on the matter will be deciding factor if Exclusive DLC will continue with Titanfall 2.

This dude is nuts. It was NOT a fucking masterpeice. It was an above average experience but truly had flaws. I'm becoming very concerened with the gaming community in SOME cases. I feel like they want to out of habit rate this Mario game high because... Mario. The Galaxy titles were MUCH better than this, yet I feel people are trying to imply the opposite in some reviews. Many people are coming out of the woodworks down playing the Galaxy titles.

The problem has nothing to do with Knack and whether its a shit game or not, and everything to do with how people view the Mario brand.

I love that the PS4 is at such a wonderful start but if Nintendo gets pushed anymore into a corner its going to reduce the Nintendo only fanbase to this:

coffee-sylvester-cat.gif

Wow, they exist?

Yes, that's what I thought two generations ago when Resident Evil Remake wasn't selling like hotcackes. Its great and I'm enjoying it, so even if it's not a hit it doesn't matter that much.
Besides Resident Evil 0 that was nearly finished when RE:Remake was launched, I've never seen a traditional Survival Horror anymore.

So if you enjoy playing Mario I hope you get satisfied enough for your whole life, because platformer games are not cool anymore and if Mario falls in front of poorly designed games then you will end up playing a poorly designed Mario... with tons of rocks and 1080p graphics.
Let's not fool our-selves, Nintendo is doing what it's doing because the vast majority of it's game designers are old-school gamers and because they think that people wants this. If they reach the conclusion people don't want this, you can be really sure that there's not a single person designing games only because of the sake of doing it, and if the only way not to disappear as a company is to make simple and ultra-graphics focused experiences, they will do that without any doubts.

The message has been send, and gameplay doesn't matter anymore...

No, Beyond Two Souls is an extreme example of 0 gameplay and of course, a bit of playing is always good to help to immerse into the game and to enjoy the graphics. If people only cared about graphics & plot they wouldn't play on consoles, they would go to the cinema.
Look at Battlefield 3 & 4 and compare them to Bad Company, look at the Uncharted/Last of Us or at any other mainstream game. Simplicity >>>>> Deeply designed games no matter how you look at it.
Well Nintendo should've made a console that was graphically on par with PS4 and XBone and they should've made a true successor to Galaxy or a successor to the design in SM64. It's Nintendo's fault that they are in the position they are currently in with a console that is yet again a generation behind MS and Sony in terms of graphical power, and it is their fault that they have been commissioning their first party studios to create games that don't even take advantage of the power in this relatively underpowered console.

I just feel like the value proposition for the wii U isn't there. Even the PS4 with not a ton of games for launch seemed like a no brainer for launch for me because there's a ton of value there at $399.

For the Wii U I just don't see it at $299. Even with the sales having it at $249 it's a bit difficult to make the plunge, though a lot easier if it included a game pack-in. It's clear that it's destined to be a niche console for people only interested in Nintendo first party games, but at the current price it implies that it's something more. I want to get one but I'm just waiting for the better value.

daman824

As people have stated earlier, Mario is supposed to be THE system seller. The console had NSMBU at launch and now they have a 3D Mario to go with that and it still isn't moving systems.

I personally don't think Mario is a system seller anymore (Mario Kart maybe...). Even during the previous gen, I think the system sellers for the Wii were Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart. NSMB, the Galaxy games, and Nintendo's other tent pole titles simply benefited from being the most recognizable properties on this system that was selling mad volumes.

If Mario Kart ends up being a system seller again, you'll likely see the Nintendo evergreen effect go into play for their other franchise titles but if it isn't, the Wii U will likely be dead. None of their other franchises will move units to people that aren't already Nintendo fans.
You cant sell a system that no one knows about. If Nintendo properly marketed and priced the system from the beginning, they wouldn't be in this mess. Mario cant save a system when people think the Wii U is simply a new controller for the Wii.

Averon

I will not be surprised if Mario Kart and Smash suffer similar fates. The audience that bought Mario, Smash, and Kart by the tens of millions on the Wii is gone. There was always the theory that the reason those games sold so well on the Wii was because of the expanded audience that the Wiimote and Wii Sports brought with them. I guess that theory is proving true...so far.

Papacheeks

Banned
Hence the loophole of having a different version aka "Sigma" or what-have-you and release the same game for PS4 with a few added bells and whistles.

A lot of time GOTY editions or Greatest Hits editions aren't subject to the same release exclusivity.

There isn't going to be some kind of semi sequel sigma version. EA and MS paid to have the first game and it's encompassing content Exclusive for their platform.

Hence why Respawn acted out to quickly. The whole Sigma thing isn't applicable in this scenario. DOA and it's encompassing characters have been on tons of other machines in the past. But Tecmo had at the time a deal with MS for Ninja Gaiden, and could not put it on PS2 because of tech limitations.

Hence why we got Sigma for PS3 with new stuff, it was basically NInja Gaiden black with new playable character added.

The same went for NInja Gaiden 2, then they just dropped Exclusivity all together for 3rd game.

This scenario with EA and MS is a much bigger deal. There is more money being made from Titanfall keeping it exclusive for EA, than TECMO had with NG.

Why do you think Vince was not invited to the deal MS made with EA couple weeks ago? Because they wanted first game to be complete exclusive with no loop holes like your so called "Sigma" Scenario.

Any chance we can just say well done Sony and leave it at that?

It's worth pointing out that it outsold a platform that has been out for a year in a single weekend. That's unprecedented and just goes to show just how badly the Wii U is selling.

Plus some people are absolutely convinced that the Vita and Wii U are signs that the industry is headed for a crash, so some good sales for both PS4Bone is def worth cheering.

IcyEyes

Why people is starting to compare Knack with SM3DW ?
Of course Mario it's a superior product, but Knack is a nice little game and if you buy a PS4 I don't think you can play Mario on it ...
I think ...

Fletcher

Why don't people just fucking pre-order? haha I never understood it.

I feel the problem with Mario games is that they have just released far too many in recent years and they all play just like a Mario game. Which isn't a bad thing, for me personally. I bought and have been playing SM3DW, and it's a great time, but I can't shake the feeling that I've played this game many times before.

Trago

This MUST mean that Knack is better than Mario 3D World. The PS4 selling the way it is right now obviously indicates that the PS4's launch lineup CRUSHES what the other platforms are offering.

Microsoft and Nintendo should just call it quits right now. There is no reason for them to continue.

So one of them came almost outsold the Wii U LTD, and the other did. Good job to both Sony and Microsoft, glad to see both of their consoles have interest and are close sales wise. Competition is good.

Sorry Nintendo. :( Hope Smash helps you a bit.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Probably a little OT, but not that much.

...Where are the Black Friday sales reports? Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, where are you?!? ;_;

Xilium

You cant sell a system that no one knows about. If Nintendo properly marketed and priced the system from the beginning, they wouldn't be in this mess. Mario cant save a system when people think the Wii U is simply a new controller for the Wii.

At some point the marketing excuse has to end. Nintendo fucked up with their early marketing and in the naming of the system and that certainly caused confusion but it's a year later and if people actually cared about the games being released, they will at some point have been educated about the Wii U being a new system. That fact that some people are still confused is due purely to lack of interest because both the system and the games are being advertised (though not as heavily anymore at retail locations in the wake of the PS4/XB1 releases).

...Where are the Black Friday sales reports? Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, where are you?!? ;_;

NPD isn't too far off so they'll probably just wait till then since it's a U.S. "holiday" anyway.

probably just going to save it for NPD report. since it's so close. expecting microsoft to go the xbox ecosystem route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom