• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

mileS

Just because some games have a "pro" patch doesn't mean they won't benefit from Boost mode. It would depend on what the developer added or tweaked for the Pro patch.

Lets say for instance, Overwatch. If that had some slight dips here and there. The boost mode could help because pretty much the only thing Blizzard added to that pro patch was improved AF and a few minor things. They didn't spend much time with the Pro patch at all. Therefore you could technically see an improvement with Boost mode right? In theory. That was a bad example because Overwatch is silky 60 all the time. You get what I'm saying though.

TalonJH

110fps? this is stupid i´m sorry but why isn´t there a lock for 60fps? One thing i love about console gaming is that i know everyone is at the same playing field but now we have people playing at 110fps?

To be fair, it only hit 110 when staring at the floor. I think it was normally in the 80s.

Hmm. The Pro certainly got me interested in PS4 gaming again after playing on PC. This update would certainly add to that. All that really puts me off console gaming is the price of games compared to PC (though it's not always a huge gap). But I can see myself now getting a few more PS4 only games to add to my slim collection.

Ferr986

Take in mind that theres nothing that come close to Witches framerate drops in Bloodborne, is a special case in how bad it runs. But yeah Beast mode helps there, compared to regular areas.

I'm gonna do some Coop now.

Mung

Also gave Bloodborne a try just for the hell of it, runs like complete arse as expected. The framepacing is so bad it will always feel like it is running at 20FPS to me. I just can't play the damn game because of it.

Come on man. You're missing out on perhaps the GOTG because of frame pacing? Feel bad for you.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Another Bloodborne video. This time I compare Witches from Chalice, because it's the thing that kills the framerate the most.

First is Beast, second is Amateur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deb-EaLTgzA

RG0BS1U.gif

Just because some games have a "pro" patch doesn't mean they won't benefit from Boost mode. It would depend on what the developer added or tweaked for the Pro patch.

Lets say for instance, Overwatch. If that had some slight dips here and there. The boost mode could help because pretty much the only thing Blizzard added to that pro patch was improved AF and a few minor things. They didn't spend much time with the Pro patch at all. Therefore you could technically see an improvement with Boost mode right? In theory. That was a bad example because Overwatch is silky 60 all the time. You get what I'm saying though.

I was wondering about that, too. The Division has a Pro patch, it only gives the user a 4K UI. I don't see why Boost Mode couldn't improve performance.

Izuna

Banned
Looks like I'm gunna try buy a Pro again!

Damnit

Thankfully the PS4 I have has like £100 trade in value so I didn't waste anything. I can sell the controller that comes with one since I bought a new white one too. So that's like 200 I wanna find.

Maybe I'll wait for the supersampling fix?

Ferr986

So this is pretty definitive, new thread worthy?

I don't think so. This is a EXTREME case, the biggest problem in regular play is framepacing, and that isn't fixed.

Check out my first video of Old Yharnan, barely a difference.

That's weird, I've never seen it do that..ever

It only happens with Chalice witches, not in the regular boss. Also the room they are placed may be a factor too.

Yeah, but no. A game with the pro patch is running at full clock speed. This Boost option is just increasing clock speed for unmatched games. So you won't see any difference on a game with the Pro patch no matter how little the patch does.

icespide

Banned

boost mode will have no effect on games with a pro mode

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Pro is evolving GAF!!

freeza_z2___transformation_intro_w_i_p__by_balthazar321-d74hrdo.gif

Sephzilla

I don't think so. This is a EXTREME case, the biggest problem in reuglar play is famepacing, and that isn't fixed.

Check out my first video of Old Yharnan, barely a difference.

Any chance you could possibly test out co-op or PVP? I always saw more noticeable dips when other players were involved

Top Bottom