• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I thought the update was coming out on the 20th, now I see it might be mid March? That's kind of crazy now that no one has beta codes anymore.

RexNovis

Banned
I would really appreciate it if some people with access to the beta could test some of the PS2 games like Rogue Galaxy and Mark of Kri. I would very much like to know if boost mode affects these titles. Is there really nobody that would be willing to check?

I would really appreciate it if some people with access to the beta could test some of the PS2 games like Rogue Galaxy and Mark of Kri. I would very much like to know if boost mode affects these titles. Is there really nobody that would be willing to check?
I've checked every single PS2 game on my PS4. Which is none. Willingness is not the hurdle ;)

Metfanant

I thought the update was coming out on the 20th, now I see it might be mid March? That's kind of crazy now that no one has beta codes anymore.
What's so crazy about it exactly? It's a beta test..When it passes whatever internal cert process Sony has, it will be released to the public..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's so crazy about it exactly? It's a beta test..When it passes whatever internal cert process Sony has, it will be released to the public..
Well, guess I mean I'M crazy for buying a pro only to find out I won't be able to use boost mode for more than a month.

chaosaeon

So just to clarify, this isn't any extra strain on the system, it's just using the Pro's added power on existing games where before it was gimped ? So playing Bloodborne with Boost is the same power usage/strain as say Last of Us 4k HDR or another Pro patched game ?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So just to clarify, this isn't any extra strain on the system, it's just using the Pro's added power on existing games where before it was gimped ? So playing Bloodborne with Boost is the same power usage/strain as say Last of Us 4k HDR or another Pro patched game ?

Pretty much. Instead of using the extra power for Pro supported games only, Boost mode uses the extra power for non-supported games as well.

mattiewheels

do we know how this works with Persona 5?, not being a Pro supported game and all.
Apparently it doesn't affect it very much, but base performance was excellent to begin with.

SirNinja

do we know how this works with Persona 5?, not being a Pro supported game and all.

As far as I know, P5 runs at a constant 30 FPS. Since Boost Mode doesn't take away framerate caps, it wouldn't do much/anything there. Someone could test load times to see if they're any shorter, but that would be about the extent of it.

Well, guess I mean I'M crazy for buying a pro only to find out I won't be able to use boost mode for more than a month.

It's a beta firmware test, sent out only to a certain number of people. This update in particular could take longer before it's in everyone's hands, given the amount of testing that has to take place to ensure that Boost Mode works as well as possible for as many games as possible. There's a ton of Pro-enhanced games to play while you wait, at least...

whiteape

Indeed you are. Boost Mode was only announced days ago.

Also it is not even confirmed that the feature will ever ship in a public update.

Edit: Sorry, seems like Sony confirmed it. But there's no word about it in the release notes, and i read somewhere on GAF that it could still be removed for the public release. Can't find that anymore, so shame on me.

Rellik

It's no extra strain but no it's not using all of the extra power. Only some of it. DF did a pretty good explanation of what it's doing.

SirNinja

Also it is not even confirmed that the feature will ever ship in a public update.

Technically true, but...c'mon now. It's going to be. It's the one feature of 4.50 everyone's raving about. People are genuinely, and for good reason, excited for a freaking firmware update...and it's all because of this.

Bloodborne finally runs better and loads faster, Just Cause 3 is no longer a slideshow when things get hectic, there's virtually no more tearing in Yakuza 0, Witcher 3 loads much faster, etc. This update improves so much of the PS4's older library.

Sony would be crazy to strip such a popular and useful feature. It'll be in. It'll be unchecked by default so as to minimize any potential problems, but it will be in.

massucci

Banned
Technically true, but...c'mon now. It's going to be. It's the one feature of 4.50 everyone's raving about. People are genuinely, and for good reason, excited for a freaking firmware update...and it's all because of this.

Bloodborne finally runs better and loads faster, Just Cause 3 is no longer a slideshow when things get hectic, there's virtually no more tearing in Yakuza 0, Witcher 3 loads much faster, etc. This update improves so much of the PS4's older library.

Sony would be crazy to strip such a popular and useful feature. It'll be in. It'll be unchecked by default so as to minimize any potential problems, but it will be in.
Well... it's surely better than 15 fps of base mode, but isn't it exactly a mind blowing improvement to hit 23 fps in the worst case. Unfortunately this engine seems totally to lack of a proper optimisation on console.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
RexNovis said:
I would really appreciate it if some people with access to the beta could test some of the PS2 games like Rogue Galaxy and Mark of Kri.
Rogue Galaxy got a patch after Pro release, like many others, so chances are it's Pro enabled already. Don't have Mark of Kri so not sure about that one.

Was RG performing particularly badly in any section on vanilla PS4 btw - ie. something that could be tested against?

Diablos

Where did you read this? I hope it doesn't take that long.

Really need more storage. My 2TB external drive is starving. Can't wait for Boost Mode.

Wow if the Pro is doing this, I can only imagine what the Scorpio will do. Kinda bummed out as I'm likely skipping Scorpio since I don't care for any of the exclusives outside of Forza. Wish Sony would have waited and we got to play our games much more improved.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone tested 4.5 release 3 yet?

30fps games now running at 120fps/8K?

FULL DOUBLE-BARRELED BEAST MODE OF DOOOOOM?

How do you get new releases of 4.5?

I haven't seen any notifications of updates since installing it two weeks ago

Malcolm9

Wow if the Pro is doing this, I can only imagine what the Scorpio will do. Kinda bummed out as I'm likely skipping Scorpio since I don't care for any of the exclusives outside of Forza. Wish Sony would have waited and we got to play our games much more improved.

That'll be the PS5.

That'll be the PS5.
hmm you think Sony will do a boost mode for b/c games? It's usually just standard emulation from Sony. We'll see though. I don't really care to play old games that far into the future. Now is when I want to replay stuff like Bloodborne or Witcher, MGS5. Not when PS5 is here lol...

Then again, it was relatively easy for me to upgrade and it did just feel like a different take on the usual slim model. I'm ok with Pro until PS5

RexNovis

Banned
Rogue Galaxy got a patch after Pro release, like many others, so chances are it's Pro enabled already. Don't have Mark of Kri so not sure about that one.

Was RG performing particularly badly in any section on vanilla PS4 btw - ie. something that could be tested against?

It mostly hanged a lot when entering and exiting menus and near the end of multi enemy combat scenarios. The frame rate would tank for a few seconds and then recover. Was quite annoying to deal with when i was playing through the game. Mark Of Kri's framerate issues were less predictable. They seemed to happen after some loading screens and sporadically in certain combat scenarios. The unpredictability of the frame rate drops really made the game frustrating to play. I played after the patch for Rogue Galaxy which actually came out way prior to the release of the Pro so unless there was an additional patch Im totally unaware of I seriously doubt it has any pro enabled support. While it was slightly improved the frame drops were still noticeable just slightly less frequent in combat. I was hoping both games framerate issues might be fixed by boost mode.

Mascot

Has anyone tested Bioshock: The Collection with Pro boost? If it now runs at a good lick with zero tearing then that'll be a buy for me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know Witcher 3 is supposed to benefit from Boost Mode, but what about the menus? They're absolutely atrocious :/

The Witcher 3 actually isn't exactly improved all that much, the game was super optimized to run at a solid 30 FPS via all the patches through the game's release.

The loading times are the bigger improvement, iirc it cuts off ~10+ seconds.

Minamu

The Witcher 3 actually isn't exactly improved all that much, the game was super optimized to run at a solid 30 FPS via all the patches through the game's release.

The loading times are the bigger improvement, iirc it cuts off ~10+ seconds.
Oh, I see, I thouht the DF video stated otherwise but I problably remember it wrong. Great to hear about the loading though, dying is a pain in the ass.

i thought they did a big ui refresh in a later patch. is it still bad? played at launch and it was pretty laggy
I have the Goty edition that was on psn sale recently, so it must be the latest. I really dislike the menus, I'd hate to see what they were like before if that's the case.

MrBS

I'm about 80% done with redownloading all my games now that I have the 4TB external with plenty of space to spare. Feels good man. No more cleaning the fridge for a while.

edit: oh crap wrong firmware thread, um boost mode did nothing for my play through of Odin Sphere ;)

sgtmofo

Neo Member
How does boost mode work? Is it automatic if you have a pro? Does it have to be enabled?

Enable it in the system settings. It's the one that warns of erratic behavior.

Though to be fair, I don't think I've had a game crash unexpectedly **knocks on wood**

Top Bottom