• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

The HTML 5 <audio> tag does not mandate any particular codec, nor does it mandate any api hooks into any DLNA feature. DLNA is not in any HTML 5 W3C candidate specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/), nor in the WHATWG HTML 5 (http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/) living standard document. I know "HTML 5" is being thrown around by many companies because it's "cool" and stuff.
I assume you refer to the "DLNA HTML5 Remote User Interface" feature, but it's more of a DLNA thing than HTML5 (proprietary interfaces not defined in the HTML 5 specifications published by W3C or WHATWG).
Plan 2014

The W3C CEO has asked us to contain the date for HTML 5.0 to obtain REC status within 2014.

We've captured a number of proposed elements and attributes for HTML.next as well as number of efforts were started in order to produce proposals for HTML.next: examples include the WHATCG, the Web and TV IG and the Responsive Images CG.

http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2013/slides/ttliv/part-4-sigcomm-tutorial-2013.pptx said:
Recent agreement in video and audio formats
MP4 for video (Firefox was last to adopt)
AAC, MP3 for audio

IvorB

Sony had 3D Bluray support ready, but they were waiting for MS to announce it so they could cuss MS out about it on twitter and release it before them... I think?

More likely is that it's half ready but they've decided to push it out the door now to beat MS to the punch. That seems to be their MO these days.

spwolf

More likely is that it's half ready but they've decided to push it out the door now to beat MS to the punch. That seems to be their MO these days.

yes, in a week they finished the job and before that they were sipping cocktails for 10 months on some Jamaican beach.

Of course you are right on the 2nd point - it is certainly their MO to beat Microsoft :)

glaurung

yes, in a week they finished the job and before that they were sipping cocktails for 10 months on some Jamaican beach.

Of course you are right on the 2nd point - it is certainly their MO to beat Microsoft :)
I hope MS promises that the September/October OS update will make Xbox One print puppies for every hour played.

Cannot wait for Sony to plagiarize that!

ethomaz

Banned
Is there a definitive list of the un/official most people requesting features? Sounds like: (In this order)

1. Suspend / resume
2. DNLA
3.MP3 playback
etc...etc

Is that about right?
You can check PSBlog.Share and the order is:

4. MP3/Media playback
5. Friend notification
9. YouTub App
10. Plause/Resume download
11. 3D Blu-Ray
34. Themes
48. DLNA

And maybe I missed suspend/resume :p

EGM1966

So, I've never actually watched a movie in 3D even though I have a 3D TV and 2 pairs of glasses (60" Panasonic ST60) - are there any movies that are actually good in 3D that I could get for cheap?
Not sure on film front as I tend to avoid 3D (although to can say Gravity, Hobbit, Start Trek all seemed good from peeks at them : I own 3dmD versions but only my kids watch 'em) however I recommend downloading Trine 2 demo and playing it in 3D as it looks great in 3D.

I feel like this thread needs the title updated to #JEFFRIGBYALERT

Because good goddamn there's info in what he says, but sometimes my brain just cannot follow

nice to see this thread became even more pleasant, cordial, and reasonable since last night

Reading up to here, some complaints are valid however there's a communication issue that I find comes with this conversation.

For one you have people who are upset about this trying to talk down people who have no problem with it visa versa. Besides the usual suspects of baseless complaining, I do feel that at times, sure these things should be there day one.

But referring back to a post, obviously there's a difference here that is clearly the reason for the delay which is the OS that resides on the PS4. There is obviously somethings they have to re-do all over again to make things work.

Overall, I think that communication from the Sony camp is what everyone can appreciate and that does seem to be the biggest problem. Using "It's 2014" as a defense to why they should have those "basic" things then not understanding how programming works and the steps that need to be taken to implement these things, are shortsighted as hell. Take it from all angles and then come to a compromise.

It's pretty much the reason why I'm not pissed but level headed on the situation.

Thank the gods. Finally! I was hoping MS's announcement would put a fire under Sony and it appears to have. Finally I can stop using my PC as my 3D Blu-ray player.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reading up to here, some complaints are valid however there's a communication issue that I find comes with this conversation.

For one you have people who are upset about this trying to talk down people who have no problem with it visa versa. Besides the usual suspects of baseless complaining, I do feel that at times, sure these things should be there day one.

But referring back to a post, obviously there's a difference here that is clearly the reason for the delay which is the OS that resides on the PS4. There is obviously somethings they have to re-do all over again to make things work.

Overall, I think that communication from the Sony camp is what everyone can appreciate and that does seem to be the biggest problem. Using "It's 2014" as a defense to why they should have those "basic" things then not understanding how programming works and the steps that need to be taken to implement these things, are shortsighted as hell. Take it from all angles and then come to a compromise.

It's pretty much the reason why I'm not pissed but level headed on the situation.

I think there are really only two problems, both exacerbated by what MS are doing.

1) lack of communication. Sony seem ok with sharing information on games, but the OS stuff they just seem to have hidden behind the curtain and they seem unwilling (or unable) to let us peek behind it. It is something I hope they improve. MS kick their arse here with the preview program. There doesn't seem to be much of a limitation on who can enroll, so it is a great way to market the idea of XB1 as more agile and flexible in terms of OS updates, always trickling something new to everyone every month.

2) implementation. Clearly MS have more speed here, and perhaps that is down to the way they have built on top of a windows OS. So they can update the core apps of the dashboard without necessarily impacting the gameOS. Plus with each app being pretty separate there is less in terms of dependencies to worry about. Sony seem to have more of an 'all in' approach, so perhaps they can't easily add things without doing significantly more testing end-to-end. 360 and PS3 might have been similar here.

tldr; I don't think Sony are particularly slow with OS updates (PS3 took a long time to bring some things), but compared to how much faster and communicative MS are being, it makes them look slow.

Yes, that's for HTML.next (or HTML5 extensions) and not HTML5 if you're referring TV stuff. As for video and audio, that there is a defacto agreement doesn't mean that HTML5 itself mandates any particular format, it still doesn't.
Just so we are on the same page, at the bottom the page:

Many technologies that were originally defined in HTML5 itself are now defined in separate specifications, either in the HTML WG or in other Working Groups, here are some examples:

HTML Microdata - HTML WG
HTML Canvas 2D Context - HTML WG
HTML5 Web Messaging - Web Apps WG
Web Workers - Web Apps WG
Web Storage - Web Apps WG
The WebSocket API - Web Apps WG
The WebSocket Protocol - IETF HyBi WG
Server-Sent Events - Web Apps WG
WebRTC - WebRTC WG
WebVTT - W3C Web Media Text Tracks CG
Many specifications have been created consciously as extensions to HTML5, here are some examples:

HTML+RDFa - RDFa WG
DOM Parsing and Serialization - Web Apps WG
Shadow DOM - Web Apps WG
Web Intents - Web Apps WG / Device APIs WG
Polyglot Markup: HTML-Compatible XHTML Documents - HTML WG
HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives - HTML WG
HTML Editing APIs - HTML Editing APIs CG
HTML Media Capture - Device APIs WG
Media Capture and Streams - Device APIs WG / WebRTC WG
Media Fragments URI - Media Fragments WG
Encrypted Media Extensions - HTML WG
Media Source Extensions - HTML WG

many rel value specifications registered at the link type registry - Microformats

So your correction to my statement is that these are not mandated but are standards that should be used and if I am understanding this correctly, to be certified as a DLNA CVP2 platform then the software and hardware must comply (read mandated) to HTML 5.0 PLUS applicable working group extensions to HTML5 defined as needed by the DLNA.ORG in their DLNA CVP2 whitepaper.

Further, DLNA CVP2 is a HTML5 app, uses a Javascript engine, HTML5 <video> EME, WebRTC, APIs to Java, DLNA, UPnP and more but it's not a mandated part of HTML5, it is though a mandated by DLNA part of HTML5 for DLNA CVP2 platforms.

Quacks like a Duck walks like a duck but I get your point. I worded poorly, if Sony is to support DLNA CVP2 then they must comply with the DLNA whitepaper for certification and that mandates MP3, DLNA and more not HTML5 mandating extensions to HTML5 or codecs that are recommended and also used by DLNA.

So realistically when can we expect to see this update?

It would be quite telling if this takes more than a month to hit ps4, they can't tease like this and not have it ready.

SeanTSC

Not sure on film front as I tend to avoid 3D (although to can say Gravity, Hobbit, Start Trek all seemed good from peeks at them : I own 3dmD versions but only my kids watch 'em) however I recommend downloading Trine 2 demo and playing it in 3D as it looks great in 3D.

I just did this this morning! It's the first game I played in 3D and it was the first time I really played Trine 2 to boot. Trine 2 is just gorgeous and the 3D effect worked really well in it!

I couldn't quite decide on the "separation"? setting for 3D in it though. I liked the hrm, intensity? of the effect when it was maxed, but it caused some "cross-talk" I think it's called when I did that with kind of a slight double image around the characters (especially the girl). Turning it down to about 75% seemed to be a decent compromise there, but it didn't completely go away unless it was on the default 30%-ish setting.

mike4001_

You can check PSBlog.Share and the order is:

4. MP3/Media playback
5. Friend notification
9. YouTub App
10. Plause/Resume download
11. 3D Blu-Ray
34. Themes
48. DLNA

And maybe I missed suspend/resume :p

Why is change user ID the most important feature ?????
Place 3 is convert sub account to master account ?

I can hardly believe people want that over Suspense/Resume, DNLA, MP3, Friend notifications...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I can hardly believe people want that over Suspense/Resume, DNLA, MP3, Friend notifications...

Because those two are practical realities of people living with PSN accounts over the years, rather than fun features they'd quite like.

Many people will have picked a PSN name years ago and want to change it. And lots of people are on sub-accounts because they were minors at the time of creating the account, but now they are over 18 and can't convert their accounts to master accounts so they're screwed.

IvorB

... Care to elaborate?

The console that launched missing even the basic features that its predecessor from two gens ago had (CD playback, mp3 etc) never mind it's most recent ancestor.

With its two headline features from the reveal (suspend/resume and share button) either MIA or completely broken. And what about all that other fancy stuff they talked up at the reveal with the fancy profiles and jumping into other people's games. Where's that?

Then you get onto stories of questionable QA around the controller analogue sticks which I haven't experienced but they are out there.

Nothing about all this seems rushed and half baked to you?

I've been a big Sony fan for many years and I'm enjoying my PS4 but I calls it how I sees it.

Mindwipe

Good point, I don't think the average reader here knows what coming. Everyone and I mean everyone has to comply with the same HTML5 <video> standards which now includes smooth streaming (adaptive streaming), DRM (both Playready for VOD and WMDRM10 for DTCP-IP) and Metadata. It's very possible Sony, besides using Microsoft's DRM is also using or complying with Microsoft's player APIs. I.E. They have to wait for updates from Microsoft so Sony supporting Blu-ray 3D at about the same time Microsoft supports it is exactly as you state.

The EME specification definitely does not mandate the use of PlayReady for VOD. It very deliberately leaves an hole for an unspecified Content Decryption Module, which could be many different systems in practice and in all liklihood will be the DRM system from the device or OS manufacturer in most cases. In Internet Explorer it would normally be Playready, but there are already shipping examples where it isn't - the implementation for Netflix in Chrome for Chrome OS uses Widevine, and the implemention in Safari on OSX Yosemite uses Apple Fairplay. The device manufacturer has to pay a royalty to MS to ship with a pre-installed centralised Playready library, so that's not going to happen on the PS4 (it does on the XBO). There's nothing to stop an app manufacturer from shipping their own Playready implentation within an app to the PS4, but they'd have to arrange the licensing themselves and it wouldn't be available to other apps (this has already been done I think - I've not wiresharked it but hte Netflix app almost certainly does this). If the PS4 was going to ship with a CDM it would be Marlin, since presumably Sony own enough IP there it would be free for them.

MPEG-DASH isn't the same as Smooth Streaming either, though they are similar and Microsoft contributed some IP that was formally part of Smooth Streaming towards it IIRC.

The DTCP-IP DRM spec isn't WMDRM10 either, I'm pretty sure, though WMDRM10 would probably have been enough to meet the criteria in the past.

ethomaz

Banned

I believe people want to change ID...

GAFer is not a measurement of what most PS4 users want.... change user id was a request since PS3 days... a lot of guys I talk wants to do that.

And yeap... DLNA is low requested features because most guys didn't use that... only some PC users that knows how to install a DLNA server at home to work in a network.... same for Resume/Suspend because PS4 boot up in less than 15 seconds (less than 5 seconds in StandBy).

Friend Notifications is a top 5 requested feature.

BTW You can vote there.., just need a PSN account.

Because those two are practical realities of people living with PSN accounts over the years, rather than fun features they'd quite like.

Many people will have picked a PSN name years ago and want to change it. And lots of people are on sub-accounts because they were minors at the time of creating the account, but now they are over 18 and can't convert their accounts to master accounts so they're screwed.
This.

And features like DLNA are just advanced PC guys that use... home users don't know even what means DLNA.

Suspend/Resume for now is a big overrated in GAF... no real needed for most gamers.

For those of you frustrated at not getting the updates you want, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software

Which proves my point. They had much of the basic media playback capabilities sorted out within the first 5 or 6 months which is what this whole thread is about. I had a launch PS3 and they constantly were rolling out updates so I know the machine will be completely different a few years from now than it is today. I think anyone expecting all features to be there day one is delusional.

Nothing about all this seems rushed and half baked to you?

Of course it's rushed, Sony even admits that. They had to rush the release to gain edge over Xbox. They have said it multiple times.

I just had a chat with a friend who was whining about the missing features like music player and such and I just told him that Sony released what they promised: console #4gamers. It's a GAMING console first, media center last. PS3 was a media center, look what happend to it. Xbone is a media center, look what's happening to it. Sony concentrated on gaming and it shows. Good for them. Now give hem time to bring out the extra stuff and start playing while waiting (or get an Xbone for media stuff).

SeanTSC

So much this. Fire them all, then shift development over to the west. Japan just doesn't understand this shit.

I do not think that is a good idea or a solution at all. The OS is clean, fast, and functional. What they have done has been good and problems are very rare for people. Yeah, it is kinda feature-lite which sucks, but firing or laying off the current team is *not* the answer. What they probably need is a lot more resources and people than they have. They need to bolster the staff for it and get shit done.

Sony pushed out a stability update this week and is going to push out a feature update next week? That is pretty suspicious considering the timing. If the 1.75 update really is released next week and only includes 3D playback then I'll have to agree with the commenters saying Sony was holding on this update and decided to release it before MS could release their own.

Sony pushed out a stability update this week and is going to push out a feature update next week? That is pretty suspicious considering the timing. If the 1.75 update really is released next week and only includes 3D playback then I'll have to agree with the commenters saying Sony was holding on this update and decided to release it before MS could release their own.

Joke post?

IvorB

Of course it's rushed, Sony even admits that. They had to rush the release to gain edge over Xbox. They have said it multiple times.

I just had a chat with a friend who was whining about the missing features like music player and such and I just told him that Sony released what they promised: console #4gamers. It's a GAMING console first, media center last. PS3 was a media center, look what happend to it. Xbone is a media center, look what's happening to it. Sony concentrated on gaming and it shows. Good for them. Now give hem time to bring out the extra stuff and start playing while waiting (or get an Xbone for media stuff).

PS3 was also a really great GAMING console. The two things are not mutually exclusive. For progress we like to move forward. Great gaming console + great media centre -> great gaming console + sh*t media centre is not progress. For Christ's sake even the PS1 could play music CDs.

The EME specification definitely does not mandate the use of PlayReady for VOD. It very deliberately leaves an hole for an unspecified Content Decryption Module, which could be many different systems in practice and in all liklihood will be the DRM system from the device or OS manufacturer in most cases. In Internet Explorer it would normally be Playready, but there are already shipping examples where it isn't - the implementation for Netflix in Chrome for Chrome OS uses Widevine, and the implemention in Safari on OSX Yosemite uses Apple Fairplay. The device manufacturer has to pay a royalty to MS to ship with a pre-installed centralised Playready library, so that's not going to happen on the PS4 (it does on the XBO). There's nothing to stop an app manufacturer from shipping their own Playready implentation within an app to the PS4, but they'd have to arrange the licensing themselves and it wouldn't be available to other apps (this has already been done I think - I've not wiresharked it but hte Netflix app almost certainly does this). If the PS4 was going to ship with a CDM it would be Marlin, since presumably Sony own enough IP there it would be free for them.

MPEG-DASH isn't the same as Smooth Streaming either, though they are similar and Microsoft contributed some IP that was formally part of Smooth Streaming towards it IIRC.

The DTCP-IP DRM spec isn't WMDRM10 either, I'm pretty sure, though WMDRM10 would probably have been enough to meet the criteria in the past.
In China and Japan, the HTML5 <video> DRM standard in CE platforms will be Marlin using the same EME hooks that Microsoft-Google-Netflix proposed to the W3C. In the US, again, certified DLNA CVP2 platforms will use Playready and the wording from DTLA for DTCP-IP was provisionally WMDRM10 and later. The reason for Playready as the CVP2 VOD DRM in the US as the accepted standard was all the Cable Companies and CE manufacturers agreed upon a common DRM standard for DLNA (DTCP-IP WMDRM10) and CVP2 (Playready). Apps outside DLNA CVP2 can use Playready, Widevine, Adobe Access, Marlin or anything that uses the EME extensions as the middleware supplied by the manufacturer is used by all apps..

Microsoft changed the fee structure for Playready and WMDRM10 to get it accepted as the standard and in 2011 Sony switched from Marlin to Playready for all their platforms sold in the US. If you think about it, Cable companies will use the same VOD DRM as the FCC requires a common standard across the US so a DLNA CVP2 platform has to work the same everywhere in the US. DTCP-IP requires a server where every certified DLNA CVP2 platform has their Mac# and encryption key registered. Playready the same with Revocation lists. WMDRM10 is backwardly compatible with Playready so the routines; Metadata and middleware for the platform don't have to be duplicated to support both.

Microsoft PlayReady is a DRM technology that is designed to enable digital entertainment scenarios across devices and software applications. Backward-compatible with Windows Media DRM 10, the technology supports a broad range of business models that can be applied to almost any type of digital content, including videos, games and images, and a wide range of audio and video formats, including MPEG Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), AAC+, Enhanced AAC+, H.264, Windows Media Audio (WMA) and Windows Media Video (WMV). Microsoft PlayReady also provides features, such as service domains and embedded licenses, designed to make it easy for consumers to playback protected content on all of their registered devices without the need for an active connection.
Check out the list of companies using Playready and notice the Cable companies and CE Companies.

DTCP-IP page 8 in this PDF Protected retransmission over HDCP (HDMI, DVI),
Windows Media DRM* and DTCP over other protocols

Microsoft PlayReady protects content by encrypting data files. There is no need to hide files, make them inaccessible, or put special protection in place when files are transmitted from system to system. In other words, operating system requirements and high-security, file-transport mechanisms are not needed. However, copying a file and giving it to a friend will not enable that friend to use the file if it?s protected by PlayReady. To use an encrypted file, users need a license. This license is the primary way to exercise control over content (the encrypted file). A license is granted to a single client (such as a media player) or a domain (such as a home network). The license will not function on other clients or other domains.
The above allows network file access and that has planned support with a HTML5 browser accessible Samba Networked drive.

3.jpg

ukas

You and BruiseBear should get together.

IvorB

So much this. Fire them all, then shift development over to the west. Japan just doesn't understand this shit.

I thought that was now done in the West? If not, it's time.

I'm not getting this bizarre notion that eastern nations don't know how to programme computers. Where does it stem from? Do people genuinely believe that Japanese people do not know how to programme the PS4?

ckohler

Yeah! Glad it's coming. I hope they also add 3D digital download/rental movies back to the PlayStation Store. You can still rent them on PS3, there's no reason not to allow you to rent them on PS4.

molnizzle

...change user id was a request since PS3 days... a lot of guys I talk wants to do that.

Yep. I have the same ID on every network now except PSN. The fact that you still can't change your PSN ID is simply embarrassing. Sony is just terrible at this stuff.

And features like DLNA are just advanced PC guys that use... home users don't know even what means DLNA.

Pretty much. Besides, both PS3 and 360 were pretty shitty streaming devices. Just get a $60 Roku and call it a day. I'd much rather have Sony/MS focus on making the best video game consoles they can make. Leave the media shit to the devices that will always provide a superior experience. It's not like they're expensive.

Suspend/Resume for now is a big overrated in GAF... no real needed for most gamers.

Especially since it really only works for single player games. How many big SP-only games did you see at E3 this year? Fucking everything has some sort of multiplayer these days, and many games can't properly function without an active Internet connection. Suspend/resume was something that I really wanted at first, but in practice I would almost never be able to use it.

molnizzle

I'm not getting this bizarre notion that eastern nations don't know how to programme computers. Where does it stem from? Do people genuinely believe that Japanese people do not know how to programme the PS4?

Eastern developers have never created a fast, responsive, modern, feature-rich UI. Not on physical devices and not on the web. The PS4's UI and web store are the closest they've ever gotten... but even those are still heavily lacking in advanced features. Not to mention unreliable.

Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, etc. Those companies can pump out functional UI's. Sometimes they miss the boat (*cough* Windows 8) but even then it's only with the design, not the performance. Windows 8 was confusing to navigate but it was snappy as hell and extremely stable. The design stuff can be tweaked over time. Competent back-end programming is more complicated.

I'm not saying that Japanese individuals do not know how to create UI's effectively. I'm just saying that the truly talented ones probably aren't working in Japan. =P

DWinn7

Yep. I have the same ID on every network now except PSN. The fact that you still can't change your PSN ID is simply embarrassing. Sony is just terrible at this stuff.

Yeah I never quite understood why it was so hard? Seems pretty pathetic to me

Especially since it really only works for single player games. How many big SP-only games did you see at E3 this year? Fucking everything has some sort of multiplayer these days, and many games can't properly function without an active Internet connection. Suspend/resume was something that I really wanted at first, but in practice I would almost never be able to use it.

For me, I don't really care about it. I'd rather have MP3 playback, Folders, Friend notification, Youtube, and themes. But...that's just me lol

For those of you frustrated at not getting the updates you want, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software

They kept updating it for years and pretty much answered everyone's requests. The only major outlier was Cross Game Chat but that was a RAM limitation.

This makes me feel so much better. I'm sure by 2018 I'll have most of the features I want.

I apologize for my sarcasm, but I can't help it. :p

Top Bottom