• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

androvsky

Speaking of CDs. When is Sony going to add SACD to PS4. Playing them can actually be hardware accelerated on CPU. And there is an x86 software to play using foobar

SACD requires a special component on the drive laser head, which was removed on the PS3s early on along with PS2 BC and 2 USB ports. I seriously doubt the PS4 has that part, so SACD will most likely be impossible.

AndyD

aka andydumi
how is it possible that we don't have friend notifications yet?! lol

This is kind of funny.

I kind of like that we don't yet. I don't want it to come unless we can select it individually or in groups. The party join ones are already annoying, let alone seeing log on/off all the time.

VaizardNL

Banned
What are you talking about? How could my post possibly seem sarcastic? You think it's more likely they started putting together 3D Blu-ray playback right after MS announced it and then had it done and ready to release in like a week or two?

I agree with you. I think they were planning to release this together with the next big update, but now they are adding it to a smaller update since MS beat them to it. Seems perfectly logical to me, so no idea how anyone could mistake your response for sarcasm. No way that they have created the update in such a short timespan.. it could be an amazing coincidence that they just finished the update though, but I doubt it.

Great news for PS4 owners with a 3D TV that have been waiting for this update. Really curious what else Sony and MS have in store for the consoles :)

InsuRn

Cool, I still have my PS3 connected to my 3D TV because of that. And if more Blu-ray enhancements are included in the update, it will be even better.

Dipz

Banned
I gotta ask why so many people like 3D blu rays. The only 2 3d movies I've ever loved the 3d in we're dredd and avatar..
Uh, because if a movie is shot in 3D and made for 3D I want to watch it in 3D, especially since my TV supports 3D.

Ditching Cell made sense for some things, but OS/features wise it meant hitting a big reset button as a lot of those features were very finely tuned for it. Also, I seem to recall that the whole OS layer is new compared to the hyper visor + GameOS layer they developed with IBM and Toshiba. Hopefully they stick to the same basic OS and CPU architecture and evolve them as they cannot afford to do everything from scratch each time. It would be a huge waste of money.
Perhaps they plan to use a browser "desktop" for the UI as they have done with the PS4. Then only minor tweaking to native libraries and the latest GTK APIs to webkit and webkit updates. All the UI and apps could be similar between all Sony "connected" Platforms.

Sony also has plans to support DLNA CVP2 as does just about everyone in the world if you look at the Playready Licence holders.

Two cites that should be recommended reading as Game Consoles are a big part of what's coming are:

Sony to Adopt Microsoft's PlayReady DRM Technology from 2011 DLNA DTCP-IP using WMDRM10 and CVP2 using Playready (Playready is backwardly compatible with WMDRM10) Playready was chosen as the DRM standard for DLNA CVP2 by Cable companies and CE manufacturers.

Media Gateways : The Next Big MSO Trend from 2012 (The Comcast X3 Cable modem is pictured in this article and shipping in 2014...I have one as well as the X1) Eventually all Cable companies will move to all IPTV and the X3 without the need for a X1 can support this using DLNA CVP2 Smart TVs, STBs and Game Consoles.

It's kicked off by the FCC mandate which took place June 2014 that requires Cable TV DVRs to support DLNA CVP2. Clients are required to be certified by DLNA.ORG and DTLA and that starts this September.

ATSC 2.0 also kicks off in 2014 and a Smart TV that supports DLNA CVP2 can support ATSC 2.0. With a Network tuner like Sony's Nanse or HD Homerun from Dust, a DLNA CVP2 STB can support ATSC 2.0. ATSC 2.0 supports a CA DRM, Blu-ray codec, 1080P, S3D, XTV (Browser and Java apps) and NRT (Non Realtime Transmission). HbbTV can also be supported by DLNA CVP2 platforms.

A DLNA CVP STB is a game console or Android L platform. In the near future a Connected Blu-ray player can also be a DLNA CVP2 STB client and server which I think is a planned XB1 and PS4 feature. Playready is designed for embedded platforms, the Windows 8.1 OEM platforms are required to support AOAC and embedded DRM so 2014 PC hardware designed for Windows 8.1 can be a DVR or STB because it can support DLNA CVP2.

Microsoft and Sony will be announcing this sometime near September or slightly after. In the ramp up to full certification we may see the features enabled by native libraries supporting DLNA CVP2's HTML5 like DLNA with three box model, MP3 and I think a refreshed PS3 and Xbox 360 with network server ability.

Mentioned in 2013 rumors for a 2014-2015 refreshed diskless Xbox 360 are it's ability to use a XB1 or Windows 8 drive and Gaikai like serve Xbox 360 games to either a XB1 or, supported in Windows 8 code, playing Xbox 360 games on a Windows 8.1 PC likely the same Gaikai like way. There is no rumor for a refreshed PS3 but can we expect the same features from a PS3?

NOO!!! I need stability!!! It's too unstable!!!

PS4destroy2_zps3133a55f.gif

Lady Gaia

Uh, because if a movie is shot in 3D and made for 3D I want to watch it in 3D, especially since my TV supports 3D.

Most 3D movies aren't shot in 3D, which is one of the reasons so many are underwhelming. I was shocked to learn that The Avengers was a post-process conversion. If they aren't going to bother doing a decent job on big-budget films, why are they surprised that the public's interest is muted at best?

I would think if they were really concerned about creating a new theatrical draw they wouldn't cut corners.

Most 3D movies aren't shot in 3D, which is one of the reasons so many are underwhelming. I was shocked to learn that The Avengers was a post-process conversion. If they aren't going to bother doing a decent job on big-budget films, why are they surprised that the public's interest is muted at best?

I would think if they were really concerned about creating a new theatrical draw they wouldn't cut corners.

Sad but true. Ever since I saw Avatar in 3D i thought "this is the gold standard" there's no going back to 2D now. But sadly that's not been the case - Gravity has come extremely close though. 3D shouldn't really be about poking you in the face with this that and the other (mostly in animations or for cheap shocks) but used to draw you into a scene to feel ever closer to the world and characters being presented.

Sad but true. Ever since I saw Avatar in 3D i thought "this is the gold standard" there's no going back to 2D now. But sadly that's not been the case - Gravity has come extremely close though. 3D shouldn't really be about poking you in the face with this that and the other (mostly in animations or for cheap shocks) but used to draw you into a scene to feel ever closer to the world and characters being presented.

GRAVITY was alot of CG, so they didnt really need 3D camera for a lot of scenes.

3D could be the future if they bothered to do it.

spwolf

Cool, I still have my PS3 connected to my 3D TV because of that. And if more Blu-ray enhancements are included in the update, it will be even better.

I am sure they always update things and dont tell us about it... for instance, in Eurogamer BD and DVD testing, they found some issue with DVD playback that was fixed in one of the "stability" updates soon after... they dont detail those small changes in functionality.

I wonder if anyone will do proper PS4 as BD/DVD player review after this functionality is done.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Most 3D movies aren't shot in 3D.

Not even close to true. In fact, there's never been a year where more conversions were released than native 3D movies. (although 2015 is looking like it might be the first)

Lady Gaia

Not even close to true. In fact, there's never been a year where more conversions were released than native 3D movies. (although 2015 is looking like it might be the first)

Color me pleasantly surprised to discover that you're correct if you ignore the "shot in 3D" qualifier. There were so many high profile movies that were conversions that it skewed my perception to thinking it wasn't even close. Looking at this lists, though, I suspect that if you removed the completely animated titles it would be roughly 50/50 for anything actually shot with a camera. That's still pretty sad.

As a result I've enjoyed Pixar's efforts more than almost anything else I've seen theatrically. Their Day & Night short was the high point for me since it is free of distracting clipping effects at the edge of the screen. I agree with the prior poster that Avatar was the poster child for what the live action 3D experience could be (though the story told by the movie itself left a lot to be desired.) I'll have to check out Gravity in 3D on my PS4 next week...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They just tweeted this. Imminent release?

@PlayStation
Reminder: PS4 system software update 1.75 is coming soon, will add support for 3D Blu-ray movies

ethomaz

Banned
Soon two times in a row? Soony™.

BTW another update.

PlayStation @PlayStation
SHAREfactory update out tomorrow: http://bit.ly/1rZPt57 Includes The Last of Us Remastered theme, new features for PS4's video editor

Past

To the people that keep asking for a YouTube app: did you not watch E3? Sony said it will be coming out in the fall, geez.

Why's everybody so mad in this thread? Is there some stability issue introduced in the last patch that I haven't been privy to?

Just happy to start seeing some features added, though I'll admit this one is a big one for me since I have about 20 3d blu-rays that I can't watch since my ps3 laser crapped out.

Lemondish

Pretty sure he's being sarcastic. It is pretty hard to believe that they feel that a random ass friend joining a party is more important than simply knowing when a friend comes online.

Both seem worthless to me. That would annoy the hell out of me given how large my list is getting. I'd instantly turn it off. Hope those who want it get it, though.

SeanTSC

3d conversion or not it's the only to watch Dredd.

Ordered it from Amazon this weekend after recommendations in this thread. It'll be here on Wednesday and hopefully 1.75 comes around the same time. Otherwise I guess I can use my PS3 to watch it, yeah?

Jomjom

Banned
Custom wallpapers
Dynamic themes
Full youtube support
3D Blu Rays
Better friends list
Folders
Touch pad integration with the web browser
MP3
DLNA
MKV
Pausing Downloads (yes it can't do that)
Forgot the biggest one. Suspend and resume. Also where's the one about taking over my friends game and helping them with a section or trophy?

Top Bottom