• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

njean777

I don't know what I did, but I just chatted with Amazon and they instantly sent me a replacement console. Maybe I was nice or something, but the the guy just said hold on and then came back and said a new one was on the way. Now I do not have to deal with Sony.

NateDrake

My DS4 dropped its connection to my PS4 earlier today. Had a full battery at the time and nothing around that should have caused interference. Is my controller busted or is it something about the system?

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
My console (which was working perfectly) is now having some issues, but seems to be related to NBA 2k14.

I loaded up NBA 2k14 today - the music cut out in the first menu and the system froze. The only way I was able to shut off the system was by doing a hard reset - holding the power button for 15 seconds. After that, the system booted into safe mode and then back into the PS4 UI and all was well. I tested resogun which worked fine, so I tried to load up NBA 2k14 again but this time it froze at "loading files".

What gives? Should I delete and reinstall NBA 2k14?

I think a lot of this is software related. I've had the console hard freeze on me three times. The only way to reboot the console was to pull the plug. Two times it froze on me while loading Netflix, of all things. The other time it froze on me was when I was doing an Internet connection test because my Internet dropped. Also, my controller will only pulsate orange when in standby mode while its charging. Really bizarre.

JFunky

I hate to ask this again, but is the console being warm to the touch (matte side) and blowing out hot air via the back normal? I have the PS4 in an entertainment center that is quite large, the front has a glass piece which I leave open at all times.

I'm paranoid :-/
Mine is exactly the same, and in the same sort of setup. Hopefully someone else will chime in ,but the matte side of mine does get warm. The fans are blowing warm air, but the system never feels hot, and quickly cools down once it's off. I should also mention mine is super quiet and I rarely hear the fans, even though I can feel them working.

bobeth

Mine is exactly the same, and in the same sort of setup. Hopefully someone else will chime in ,but the matte side of mine does get warm. The fans are blowing warm air, but the system never feels hot, and quickly cools down once it's off. I should also mention mine is super quiet and I rarely hear the fans, even though I can feel them working.

The processor (thus the heatsink) is on the right side of the machine, it's all perfectly normal.

Ps4 has been great.

Cable box in hdmi 1.

Ps4 in hdmi 2

Turn on ps4, then switch to hdmi 2 from 1.

Video on screen but no sound.

Switch to hdmi 1 and quickly back to 2.

Picture and sound.

Fluke or something to worry about?

~~Hasan~~

something i noticed while i am toying with the system. can any one confirm this ?

when you boot the ps4 after its been turned off " not stand by"

does the white Playstation logo disappear for half a second before it comes back again " everything is normal. just this half of a second that it disappears and come back in ?

my PS4 does that when its on 110V. however, if i put it on 220V. it doesn't do that at all.

to those who have a problem with the screen. try this and see if it helps getting something on your screen ?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Called amazon this morning to see if I could get a replacement rather than ship back to Sony and unbeknownst to me they have one shipping out and I should receieve it tomorrow. Guess I'll return the ps4 coffin when I get it.

erawsd

Called amazon this morning to see if I could get a replacement rather than ship back to Sony and unbeknownst to me they have one shipping out and I should receieve it tomorrow. Guess I'll return the ps4 coffin when I get it.

Wow nice. Do you have a "Replacement PS4" order in your amazon account page?

edit: Sigh.. so I contacted Amazon to check the status of my replacement unit. Turns out the original CSR never filed the replacement order, even though she sent me an email confirming it. The new one took care of it though I can even see its status on the order page.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p7yaz8DsOYw

Anyone else having this issue? Keeps making that read write sound. Ps4 has been used for maybe 2 hours. There's nothing on the install list. Kill zone disc was in earlier, removed but disc noise continues.
Anyone had a similar occurrence? Worried mine is defective....
Thanks to all who read!

Bump, has anybody seen anything like this? Going to return my console to amazon today I think...

kage

Getting dat blue light of death.

When I try starting it and holding the power button, it shuts down after the second beep. No safe mode apparently... Is that a confirmation that it's defective?

Also, how do I chat with Amazon? :<

prophecy0

kage - The chat is kind of buried within the bowels of the site (probably intentional). Scroll to the very bottom right of a page on Amazon and click "Help", then "Contact Us" on the right side of the screen. My PS4 has started doing exactly what yours is doing - rather than go to safe mode it beeps a second time and shuts off.

I just tried chatting with Amazon and was told that they had no stock to offer a replacement, but they could ship me out a replacement as soon as they received stock. I asked how long that may be and the rep said "In my experience 2 - 5 weeks". I told him no thanks, I'll just wait on Sony.

kage, I would be interested to hear what they tell you.

kage

kage - The chat is kind of buried within the bowels of the site (probably intentional). Scroll to the very bottom right of a page on Amazon and click "Help", then "Contact Us" on the right side of the screen. My PS4 has started doing exactly what yours is doing - rather than go to safe mode it beeps a second time and shuts off.

I just tried chatting with Amazon and was told that they had no stock to offer a replacement, but they could ship me out a replacement as soon as they received stock. I asked how long that may be and the rep said "In my experience 2 - 5 weeks". I told him no thanks, I'll just wait on Sony.

The CSR said they would offer me store credit as soon as they receive it back, because they didn't have any units left.

Thing is, I live in a different country; I used an intermediate shipping company from the US to here. It would cost me more than the price of the ps4 to ship it back to the US. :(

I literally called 2 hours ago and got a replacement overnighted to me. It'll be here tomorrow.

The CSR also told me they didn't have stock. I didn't accept no for an answer, and told him I wanted a supervisor. He puts me on hold, comes back 5 minutes later saying "oops we do have stock for replacements". My overnight is now preparing for shipment.

Do NOT accept no for an answer. It's not the CSR's fault but it is. They check the website, see out of stock, and say no. However, they have a stock for replacements. When he puts in the request, It'll go through despite his better judgement.

kage

I literally called 2 hours ago and got a replacement overnighted to me. It'll be here tomorrow.

The CSR also told me they didn't have stock. I didn't accept no for an answer, and told him I wanted a supervisor. He puts me on hold, comes back 5 minutes later saying "oops we do have stock for replacements". My overnight is now preparing for shipment.

Do NOT accept no for an answer. It's not the CSR's fault but it is. They check the website, see out of stock, and say no. However, they have a stock for replacements. When he puts in the request, It'll go through despite his better judgement.

Question: So how does it work? You receive the new unit and have to give them the old one?

prophecy0

I tried again and now a console is being sent to me overnight. Anyone trying Amazon for a replacement - take this user's advice! Don't take no for an answer.

kmg90

NEOGAF you are my only hope...

Am I being over paranoid or is my DS4 left stick not working properly

I was playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood with DS4 on my PS3 (which I finally got up and running after sitting for 3 days restoring a backup from the hard drive swap when the PS4 arrived) when I noticed Ezio moving at a slower pace when moving in diagonal directions (left to right right to left)...

So I quick flipped back to my PS4 (updated it to 1.51) launched KZ:SF and tried to reproduce the same issue but could not.... (Even tried comparing walking/movement speed using Remote Play on my Vita; as I do not have a second controller)

Finally I plugged in it in to my laptop and game controller test interface and found that there is quite a bit of space that the x/y-axis will not reach when the stick is pushed toward the corners (more space even then the DS3 I've used none stop for the past 2 years)

I outlined the patch of the crosshair when moving the stick around in circles
IipBWZQ.png

Is this a intended effect from some of the controller changes between DS versions or is my controller part of the bad batch and on the fritz

Tell me GAF

Sykotik

Am I being over paranoid or is my DS4 left stick not working properly

Tell me GAF

I can't really help, but, most consoles seem to detect the controller deadzones as the console/software is booting up. Perhaps you had the stick slightly ajar enough to cause the anomaly? Is it still happening? Sometimes spinning the stick in a 360 degree motion resets it, too.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

Edit: Also, I can confirm my DS4 looks the same on the windows USB controller window.

neshcom

Banned
The Amazon app keeps crashing my PS4 after I play a few episodes. Their app on the PS3 was crappy too, but it didn't lock the whole system up. It's a pain to disconnect the AC and sit through a storage check every time I reboot.

finalexit

The Amazon app keeps crashing my PS4 after I play a few episodes. Their app on the PS3 was crappy too, but it didn't lock the whole system up. It's a pain to disconnect the AC and sit through a storage check every time I reboot.

You shouldn't have to disconnect the AC, just hold down the power button until it turns off.

Question: So how does it work? You receive the new unit and have to give them the old one?

The unit is prepared for shipment for next-day delivery immediately. He also gives me a return label to send back. They say send it back asap, but I believe it follows Amazon's rule of 30 days. If you don't return it, you get charged for the replacement console. That's fair.

I tried again and now a console is being sent to me overnight. Anyone trying Amazon for a replacement - take this user's advice! Don't take no for an answer.

Glad I could help! :)

The funny part is that I bought a bundle (had no choice), and I didn't want BF4 (have on PC) so I gave it to a friend as an early xmas present. Next day I boot up my console, and my hard drive is constantly making a loud as heck hard drive read/write noise. It's seriously audible in another room, with no disc in the tray, nothing installing. Just makes that noise for hours.

Anyways, I let them know I didn't have the game anymore, and the guy says "Just send back what you have". Weird....

Getting dat blue light of death.

When I try starting it and holding the power button, it shuts down after the second beep. No safe mode apparently... Is that a confirmation that it's defective?

Also, how do I chat with Amazon? :<

I had that same issue i dealt with sony tho. I called on Saturday and got my coffin on monday there overnighting me a new console.. Should be here by Thursday/friday.. Also the rep said for my problem i was getting another free month of ps plus..

Thought I'd pop in here and note that I got my Launch edition console Monday from Amazon (I screwed up the shipping address and it took until Monday to get UPS on the same page to correct it) and last night I had a problem with the Optical out...the sound worked fine for the first day and an hour or two of the second, but then it would stutter for seemingly no reason.

The fix, it seems, is in the audio output setting I gave it. If you have this issue, try switching away from one of the Dolby bitstreams and going to Linear PCM. This did the trick for me, worked flawlessly after that. I think I just have an old Amplifier.

ElRenoRaven

God today is going to be a long day. Just got my Amazon replacement that was sent out yesterday. Now I have to work all day before I can get home and test this one. Luckily I can now turn around and use that box to send back the broken one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what's the consensus on the fan running? I think the fan in mine ramps up to audible levels within 2-3 minutes of playing a game.

neshcom

Banned
You shouldn't have to disconnect the AC, just hold down the power button until it turns off.
I've tried doing that, but it won't register. The power button is weird because I can't always tell if it registers my finger or if it's slow to respond or what, so my experience could be human error, but I've given it a serious try the three times it locked up last night.

TheCrow

Chatting with amazon for the fourth time and i finally have one shipping today. Sent next day so this time tomorrow I'll have a new ps4. Hopefully it works. Looks like they have stock for replacements since I didn't have to ask to speak to a supervisor. So everyone should try again if they've been telling you that you'll have to wait a while for your replacement.

Calibus

I'm really interested to see how the replacements fair. Watching to see the reports roll in. Hope they replace them with sturdier later built units.

Marven

I'm really interested to see how the replacements fair. Watching to see the reports roll in. Hope they replace them with sturdier later built units.

I'm replacing mine through Sony and hopefully should have a replacement before the end of the week. I'll post my results once I receive it.

augmental

Ok, not exactly a problem per se...but is everyone having to manually set the video 'fill area' so it fits the whole TV screen? I had to do it the first time I booted up Killzone and Warframe I believe. Just seems odd. It should be smart enough to fill the whole screen automatically.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ok, not exactly a problem per se...but is everyone having to manually set the video 'fill area' so it fits the whole TV screen? I had to do it the first time I booted up Killzone and Warframe I believe. Just seems odd. It should be smart enough to fill the whole screen automatically.

It does. The setting is more for the HUD due to individual overscan for TVs. Which the PS4 cannot detect.

Dune1975

Banned
So is there zero way to check out your trophies or too see which ones are in a game unless connected? Whose bright idea was that?

TheCrow

: ) Don't mean to burst your bubble but those are RMA's, not replacements.

It means you can send back 3 PS4's haha.

We'll see. I'm pretty sure they are from the other two times I asked for a replacement. They said they would only show up once they ship the replacement but they never said when they expected to ship them. Before today that page was empty.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
It does. The setting is more for the HUD due to individual overscan for TVs. Which the PS4 cannot detect.

I was wondering what this was for, thanks for clearing that up. Though I noticed that as I try to expand the area it's not centered on my screen (the whole image is closer to the bottom then the top) and if i keep expanding then the bottom corners get cut off.

One more question: I am one of the few who does not own a 1080p TV. It's a 720P plasma, but it supports 1080P signals (when I hit the info button it says the signal is 1080P). So I assume the TV is then accepting the signal but downscaling it to 720P. Is this bad? Could there be input lag or degradation in the image quality? Should I manually set my PS4 to 720P?

Mine did the same last night I think. Tonight I will try to take out the disc and play a hard drive game to see if it's the fan (heat related) or if it was just the disc drive. It seems it should not be too loud, even under load. I will give it til the end of the week or so before I decide if it's an issue or just the normal console noise.

Mine was not the disc drive, I'm pretty sure it spins down once the game is installed and only spins up to check when you first start the game (a la 360). This was definitely fan noise. My assumption was that KZ was just a demanding game but with all the comments about how quiet the system is, I was wondering if maybe this was indicative of a problem. At least I know the fans WORK. The air coming from the back of the PS4 (right hand side, under the cables) was pretty hot.

So is there a benefit going one route over the other (Sony vs. Amazon return)? Went with Sony return because Amazon didnt offer me a replacement over the weekend.

augmental

I was wondering what this was for, thanks for clearing that up. Though I noticed that as I try to expand the area it's not centered on my screen (the whole image is closer to the bottom then the top) and if i keep expanding then the bottom corners get cut off.

One more question: I am one of the few who does not own a 1080p TV. It's a 720P plasma, but it supports 1080P signals (when I hit the info button it says the signal is 1080P). So I assume the TV is then accepting the signal but downscaling it to 720P. Is this bad? Could there be input lag or degradation in the image quality? Should I manually set my PS4 to 720P?

I don't think it should really matter but I would force 720P if that is your max resolution available. Otherwise you could have something come up due to the TV needing to down res the signal I guess but I have a Pioneer plasma that only deals with 720P but I have never noticed any issue taking in the higher res signal. This is with a 360 though.

On my Sony Bravia which I am using with the PS4 and my expanded area is not quite perfectly 'square' on the screen when I zoom it out but I'm not too worried about it.

Can I only charge a PS4 controller when connected to an actual PS4?

I thought that with the new standard Micro USB port, I could plug it into any micro USB charger. I plugged the thing into the cord I usually use to charge my phone (plugged into a power strip) and got nothing. No charging.

But if I plug the controller into the micro USB connected to the PS4, it charges.

Top Bottom