• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has AMD's TrueAudio DSP - Confirmed

Dahaka

Wait wait wait wait wait WAAAAAIT ...................... does this mean binaural 3D headphone surround sound for EVERY game?

I don't know about the tools that are given to use True Audio but since a competent audio renderer does know the exact position of every object in the 3D space it could deliver them to the binaural algorithms directly and a hypothetical ingame option called "headphone" should deliver an immersive binaural experience that is not a simple virtualization of a speaker room like Dolby Headphone, SBX etc..

This also depends on the designer (interest, enthusiasm etc...recording quality/variation, use of material filters, occlusion, complex doppler etc....) and Middleware of course. I really hope studios abandon middleware like Fmod, WWise and Co., anything that goes the lazy generic CPU way.

I-love-secret-sauce.jpg

Perkel

Banned
what does xbone has anything to do with that? nvidia support is the reason why that wont happen.

Because there is big chance Xbone won't have TruAudio tech. Which essentially means devs won't really make investment in that tech.

I wish Xbone would have it. proper super accurate 3D sound for every game using just 5$ crappy stereo headphones would be amazing.

For those wondering how big deal it is... listen to this on any headphones

Russell

I just listened to the YouTube demo with my iPhone headphones... and... holy crap... it's unbelieveable. It really does sound like things are going on around me.

apana

So do devs need to do anything in particular to make it work or is it just automatic? Do we need to buy headphones or will it work regardless?

I like how it's somehow Nvidia's fault they don't have AMD's newly developed audio solution in their GPUs and as a result it won't be a PC standard. Doubly hilarious when you add in the fact Nvidia included very powerful audio DSPs back in the early Geforce days.

So do devs need to do anything in particular to make it work or is it just automatic? Do we need to buy headphones or will it work regardless?

Not automatic, devs have to run middleware tools to implement it and make use of the TrueAudio DSP.

Ohh, so it's like those dummy mics that drama CD producers use... except in actual good quality. Can't wait for it. I hope MGSV will use it!

B.O.O.M

So after all that talk about Xbox one's sound chip... ps4 actually dropped it's pants and revealed it was actually touching the floor all along?

lol

OT: good news. Audio has been an aspect sony has been relatively silent about

Probably already been clarified by a number of members, but does this give the possibility of that binaural / upgraded binaural through the controller? That would be absolutely unreal if true.

Reallink

Can anyone explain why, in all the binaural demos, there is next to no frontal sound stage and everything sounds heavily weighted towards the back and sides?

imt558

Banned
Lol I loved that ... at the 6 second-ish mark I thought it was someone in the office talking and looked to my right ...

I prefering Virtual Barber shop. It is a freakin scary. Especially wne he put something on **** **** and at the end. God damn.It's totally freaks me out.

Perkel

Banned
Got damn. I think I could play a noisy room simulator just to hit things and make noises with an HMD, this tech and a nice pair of headphones.

Yeah what is impressive is not multichannel because we had it for years but true 3D precision.

I mean in that demo you can precisely say if something is 5cm or 5m from you and tell without looking what someone is doing and where is he.

If they give us something like this in real time in game ..... o_O

AND ALL OF THAT WITH JUST CRAPPY STEREO HEADPHONES

imt558

Banned
Because there is big chance Xbone won't have TruAudio tech. Which essentially means devs won't really make investment in that tech.

I wish Xbone would have it. proper super accurate 3D sound for every game using just 5$ crappy stereo headphones would be amazing.

For those wondering how big deal it is... listen to this on any headphones

I didn't see on any article about XO's SHAPE using the 3D audio like this one in PS4.

Biker19

Banned
Oh fucking hell, I'm happy now.

It weirded me out to think that the Xbox One had an edge on PS4 on audio quality, since Sony has always excelled on it.

Yeah, I surely didn't see that coming. I too, believed that Xbox One had better audio than on PS4 while Sony or anyone else has yet to mention on what kind of audio that the PS4 has...until today. This is definitely good news, regardless.

Good, so both next-gen consoles have TrueAudio so more developers will hopefully use it in their games.

Um, Xbox One doesn't.

Top Bottom